Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikon N80... do you have one?
Old 04-17-2015   #1
dave lackey

Nikon N80... do you have one?

Gasp!!

A discussion on not just an SLR, but a cheapo, bottom feeder. What in the world?

Well, film is back!! At least here in the Leica Cave.

About 15 years ago, I really wanted a new N80. Never bought one because I had a perfectly good AF Nikon. It was unaffordable then but also, it seemed over the top owning two cameras that did the same thing. Materialism and lust must have been forbidden back then. I wish it were the same now!

At any rate, I was thinking about finding a mint N80 for those softball, baseball, football games when I want a decent AF rig that I didn't have to worry too much about it in dirty, rainy conditions.

Anyone have any ideas about the sanity of this?

Dave

Old 04-17-2015   #2
VTHokiEE

The N80 has always tempted me (as an AF film Nikon) because my N90s is pretty heavy (and I believe the F100 is a similar weight to the N90s). Oddly enough I ended up with a N75 in a deal and am pretty happy with that (especially the weight factor) so I've sort of given up on my dream of an N80 for the moment. I have my FE2 for manual focus and my N75 for AF, it is a setup I'm pretty happy with.

Old 04-17-2015   #3
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

The N80/F80 (which is the import) is a very good and proficient AF SLR. I used to have the F80, but sold it when I got my first F100. I see them now going for ridiculous prices... and sometimes I think about getting another, but all my film needs go into the Leica gear have.

Body is polycarbonate, lens mount takes AF-S and G lenses. Highest shutterspeed is 1/4000. I cannot recall the type of AF it has, but I believe is similar to that in the F100. In fact, given its lack of function menus, it's a kind of "light" F100... literally lighter because of its construction. If you see one, snatch it. They can go for as low as $35 now... and I paid about $400 for my kit (camera and the infamous 28-80 slow kit lens).

Best of luck!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 04-17-2015   #4
lynnb

Dave, I think you know I have the F80 - it's my favourite AF film camera (the other AF camera I own being an EOS300). Nice handling, AF is good enough, but sometimes I find the F80 is not quite fast enough for street grab shots. With sports where you're tracking the action through the vf, the af should be adequate. Note it only has 3 af sensors - your F6 is another class of camera altogether.

Cheers,
Flickr

Old 04-17-2015   #5
Waus

Had an F80/N80 for years-of course it isn't an F6, but it's cheap, light, has all the necessary menu's and a nice viewfinder. The possibilty to use AA battery's with the MB-16 grip is also great! A drawback is that you can't meter with AI/AI-s lenses .

Old 04-17-2015   #6
Clark.EE

I have one on Evil bay at this moment (F80).
Can do you a deal if you like?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3910952867...84.m1555.l2649

Old 04-17-2015   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I have one. It's a nice camera, it was my uncle's.

G

Old 04-17-2015   #8
ray*j*gun

I have a mint N6006 which I have found to be outstanding in about every way. I bought it new many many years ago and still hold on to it cause it just does a great job!

Old 04-17-2015   #9
gustavoAvila

I bought a boxed, mint F80 for $25 (and sold it for the same amount after one year).

It is a quiet, competent camera.

For the going rate on the used market, there is no excuse for not buying one and trying it yourself! (Especially if you already have some AF-D or AF-S Nikkors hanging around.)

Old 04-17-2015   #10
Noll

As mentioned in another thread, it has one of the quietest shutters in slr-land. Very refined - just right on the grip, solid body, clean VF...it makes my Elan 7E (also very quiet!) look like an oversized pig in comparison. $35 is probably on the high side of what they go for now. Which is pretty bonkers considering what you get.

Old 04-17-2015   #11
Macpherson

I had one for a short period of time. It's a great lightweight SLR, very competent, and very quiet as noted. It is quite good at auto-everything, however that was not what I was looking for at the time (I would say it is a bit soulless) and sold it shortly thereafter for the same price I paid for it.

Old 04-17-2015   #12
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I feel the same about the N65.
About ten years ago I bought a Nikon refurbished one to dedicate to my one auto-focus lens (Sigma 12~24 f4.5-5.6).
The camera has enough serious features including a metal lens mount, that it is just fine for the few occasions that I use the lens. And for about $75.00 which included a free "AA" battery grip) it was a steal.

Old 04-17-2015   #13
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

I have an N80 and an F80 with battery grip and date back. Both looked like new when I purchased them but the N80 had a sticky back. A bit of alcohol and some ArmorAll Conditioner fixed that. Both work great with AF-S and G Nikkors which is what I got them for. One was $17 and the other was $22.

Old 04-17-2015   #14
kxl
Social Documentary

I had one a long time ago. Sold it after I got an F100. To me the only downside to an N80 is that it does not meter with AI/AIS lenses.

With bargain basement prices for most film SLR's, why not just get an F100 -- heavier but you get faster AF and AA batteries with no need for adapters, as well as full compatibility with AI/AIS lenses.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 04-17-2015   #15
ruby.monkey

I had one, once. Performance was fine, but if I were to shop for one again I'd spend the extra on an F100 for the better viewfinder.

Old 04-17-2015   #16
Gerry M
Gerry

I have a LNIB N80 with a Nikkor 28-70/ 3.5-4.5 AFD (kind of a "sleeper" lens). Nice size/weight for a walkabout. Wish it metered mf Nikkors!
It and the F100 get very little use these days.

Old 04-17-2015   #17
mwoenv

I bought a new N80 body 4 years ago, sealed in the box, for $70, via Craigslist. I use it with Nikon AF 28-80mm f3.3-5.6 and 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G lenses. This and a Nikon N75 (also bought in near mint condition for $50), are the only autofocus cameras I have. Not my favorite cameras, but only because I prefer manual focus cameras without all the jazz in the viewfinder. Very competent cameras, a little flimsy, especially the battery doors (well, compared to older cameras...), but excellent results, have made many nice prints from using them. And they sell at give-away prices.
Konica III; Konica Auto S2; Konica Autoreflex T2; Konica FS-1; Pentax 645; Yashica Mat 124; Minolta SRT201, X700, X370, XD-11, Minolta Hi-matic 7S; Olympus OM-1; Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super BC; Nikon N80, N75

Old 04-17-2015   #18
ravilamir

I've had a F80 for over 2 years now. It is almost in very good condition cosmetically, but I found out the silent motor, although very nice as it is, it is also very finicky: it likes to rewind more than winds the film forward. So, I had it starting to rewind the film after just 2 frames. Used the Custom functions to stop the auto-rewind. Still doesn't like to wind film stopping at times with Err.
So, here is a word of caution. It is the only Nikon AF I have that has that problem.
I believe it is also one of the first Nikon AF with auto-load and auto-rewind functions a la Canon.

Olympus M-1, OM-1/N, OM-2/N, OM-4, OM-4Ti
A bunch of Nikons

Old 04-17-2015   #19
Pablito
coco frío

Before I all but stopped using film, I changed over completely to the N80 despite owning higher end "pro" Nikon SLRs. The camera has everything except 100% VF coverage. I had about 6 of them. I found the lower end ones N70, N65 etc can't remember them all ... to be a lot less satisfying and more toy-like.

Old 04-17-2015   #20
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Nikon N80 with 50/1.8G and AF-S 180/2.8
by Earley Photography, on Flickr

Old 04-17-2015   #21
Thardy

I bought one for my daughter to use in her photography class in high school - 5 years ago. I think it cost about $80. There were many for sale in LN condition in those days. I see they're much cheaper now.

I guess they are cheap enough that damaging or losing it won't hurt much.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-17-2015   #22
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Before I all but stopped using film, I changed over completely to the N80 despite owning higher end "pro" Nikon SLRs. The camera has everything except 100% VF coverage. I had about 6 of them. I found the lower end ones N70, N65 etc can't remember them all ... to be a lot less satisfying and toy-like.
It seems to me the N70 was very quirky in its operation but felt more substantial than the newer N80.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-17-2015   #23
dave lackey

Whew, another long day. What a surprise coming home to see such responses! Thank you all for that and reminding me what I must have been missing all these years. Lots of good information here and it shows how much the little critter is loved by RFF'ers. So I feel validated in wanting one for little money.

I am on the hunt. After that, how can I not go for big brother, an F100?

It is too much fun these days in photography. Lots of affordable choices!

Dave

Old 04-17-2015   #24
dave lackey

Oh yeah, a bonus! I had no idea the N80 could use G lenses!!! Another plus for me since I resurrected a free but dead D3100 recently!

Bohemian photographer here... Lol... El cheapo with great quality stuff.

Dave

Old 04-17-2015   #25
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Oh yeah, a bonus! I had no idea the N80 could use G lenses!!! Another plus for me since I resurrected a free but dead D3100 recently!

Bohemian photographer here... Lol... El cheapo with great quality stuff.
It can even use VR lenses.

Old 04-17-2015   #26
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Earley View Post
It can even use VR lenses.
Thanks...+2 on that! This keeps getting better. I bet it would work great with my 45 2.8P lens.

Dave

Old 04-19-2015   #27
dave lackey

Ok, the hunt has ended... Screw ebay. What a waste of time the last five minutes. I have no patience with racing a time clock hitting a stupid button every few seconds.

I prefer to deal with real people.

So back to the F6. Like inspiration, it will find me.

Update... It may have already done so as I type this... No ebay for me. Lol...

Dave

Old 04-19-2015   #28
jonmanjiro

Quote:
So back to the F6.
The mind boggles Dave... why would you want an F80 when you have an F6?

I hope you don't plan on making the F6 a pampered semi shelf queen!

Old 04-19-2015   #29
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
The mind boggles Dave... why would you want an F80 when you have an F6?

I hope you don't plan on making the F6 a pampered semi shelf queen!
Ha! No way! I have tons of Double X film to shoot! But no cameras to share with my two grandsons. For me, as a former sports shooter, sitting on the sidelines is boring! As it is when one of the kids is playing and the other is with me. Gator, yep that is his middle name. His first name is Brandon... Anyway, I started him shooting with my S3 2000 while I closely supervised. Now I want to get him shooting with me. I dare not hand the F6 to him but a nice AF (inexpensive) camera would do nicely.

Dave

Old 04-19-2015   #30
dave lackey

To expand on that, I have two FE2 cameras to give them in due time. They will get frustrated with MF. You know how 9-10 year old kids are...

I gave them each an old digital p&s camera (one Canon and the other a Nikon) but dealing with buying batteries is not working for them as they don't want to spend their allowance on batteries.

Besides I want them to enjoy film and I can feed them film as well as develop it for them. There are few things I can pass along but this experience can be one of them.

Dave

Old 04-19-2015   #31
dave lackey

Thank you all for your posts on this subject. It validates my reason for wanting an N80.

It would be terrific to see posts with photos of your own kids/grandkids with cameras like this:

Gator in 2008 with my F3/T:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gator with F3 Nov 2008 rff.jpg (121.7 KB, 443 views)

Dave

Old 04-29-2015   #32
dave lackey

Update:

Thanks to John, I am now the happy owner of a nice F80! The custom settings are really cool. The fact that I can use the same 45mm/2.8 P lens on the F80, F6, F2, etc. and even the D3100 is really nice! ( put my Gordy wrist strap on it and I have a very nice compact SLR!

(In fact, all of my Nikkor lenses are interchangeable with any AF body I have. Opens up a nice array of choices.)

Cool as a moose! :-))

Dave

Old 04-29-2015   #33
CK Dexter Haven

I had one for a while. I can't remember why i sold it. I do remember that i LOVED the mirror/shutter/advance sound and feel. It may have been my favorite camera in that respect—perhaps tied with a Contax RX or some such.

Can't find my notes, but i think i just couldn't justify having an F100 and an FE2 and the F80 when i only had two Nikon lenses at the time, and only one of them was an AF lens. But, yeah, for the price, there isn't much reason not to have one now.

Old 04-29-2015   #34
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
I had one for a while. I can't remember why i sold it. I do remember that i LOVED the mirror/shutter/advance sound and feel. It may have been my favorite camera in that respect—perhaps tied with a Contax RX or some such.

Can't find my notes, but i think i just couldn't justify having an F100 and an FE2 and the F80 when i only had two Nikon lenses at the time, and only one of them was an AF lens. But, yeah, for the price, there isn't much reason not to have one now.
You know, the shutter sound is rather different isn't it? I like it. The whole package is small and has just enough featured to make it quite useable! And with the similar feel that I am used to after all these years. I may just put this one in a small belt bag to carry along with whatever else I am shooting.

Dave

Old 04-29-2015   #35
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

There was a time when I had together the F80 (gray version of the N80), one F100 and one F5... Just for the heck of it, I tested the shutter sound on one of my cats (meaning, I aimed the camera at him while he was staring at our backyard). He just didn't hear or ignored the sound of the F80. The F100 made him turn his face to see what was making a click. The F5 let out such a clack he jumped.

Conclusion: professional cameras are loud because they're conspicuous. Amateur things are not expected, so they can be sneaky.

Congratulations on the N80, Dave! It was the camera of the year in 2001, I think... and it's pretty much like a baby F100. You'll have some really serious fun!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 06-08-2015   #36
GarageBoy

Quote:
To expand on that, I have two FE2 cameras to give them in due time. They will get frustrated with MF. You know how 9-10 year old kids are...

I gave them each an old digital p&s camera (one Canon and the other a Nikon) but dealing with buying batteries is not working for them as they don't want to spend their allowance on batteries.

Besides I want them to enjoy film and I can feed them film as well as develop it for them. There are few things I can pass along but this experience can be one of them.
Get some Eneloops and a charger

I'm on the hunt for a compact camera to go with my 35 1.8G FX- guess it's going to be an N80 (my F100 is kinda large)

Old 06-09-2015   #37
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Great camera! What I liked best about my F80, was that it had almost everything that I needed accessible through a button/wheel on the outside, and that its main features were not linked, like on the lower specced bodies (e.g. f65, f75) where the metering pattern changes unannounced from matrix to centerweighted if you press the AE-L button..

It doesn't have the raw power that an F90 or F100 has in racking the heavier screwdriver AF lenses from here to infinity and back, but on the plus side it also lacks the weight of the F90/F100.. So if you want to pack small/light, you could do a lot worse than an F80..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 06-09-2015   #38
Harryo1962

I've got one. It's a solid camera. Don't use it much, but this topic inspires me to break it out.

Old 06-09-2015   #39
J enea

i have three, only because they are so cheap. i bought one that looked brand new in a box with the AA battery pack for $15 off craigs list. people are giving this great camera away. its very light, quiet and takes great picts which is what its all about.

Old 06-09-2015   #40
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Why yes, I do have an N80. Light, quiet, multi-featured and very inexpensive. What's not to like.