Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

New pic of Pentax FF DSLR
Old 01-28-2016   #1
mingkookoo

New pic of Pentax FF DSLR

Just came across this:

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/01/28/n...camera-update/

Any Pentax fans here?

Old 01-28-2016   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Good on Pentax but this is a tough market to break into with a first time FF DSLR. Nikon and Canon have years of refinement behind their offerings so it will need to hit the ground running. There's people who will buy it because it's a Pentax but it's success will depend on more than that!

Old 01-28-2016   #3
mingkookoo

I hope they will do well with it

Some past pics of the Pentax FF:
http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/

Old 01-28-2016   #4
Hatchetman

Jeez, welcome to 2002!

Old 01-28-2016   #5
Pioneer

The problem is not the camera. Pentax has been building some pretty awesome cameras lately. The problem is the lens selection and it always has been. Pentax has some awesome prime lenses but they are really weak in the zoom lens department. It is going to be very, very difficult to match some of Canon's amazing optics.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-28-2016   #6
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
The problem is not the camera. Pentax has been building some pretty awesome cameras lately. The problem is the lens selection and it always has been. Pentax has some awesome prime lenses but they are really weak in the zoom lens department. It is going to be very, very difficult to match some of Canon's amazing optics.
Point taken, but not sure zooms are much concern on RFF

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-28-2016   #7
charjohncarter

Great but, HDR, Grid?, BLK, WiFi, CH/CL, GPS, Crop all on the only dial. What happened to manual and AUTO? Looks to me that they had FaceBook design it. I hope this is a joke.

Old 01-28-2016   #8
squirrel$$$bandit

I think that the CROP setting is for using APS-C lenses. But yeah that dial does seem pretty silly.

I'm excited, though I doubt I'll buy one. I do like Pentax very much. Those Limited primes are wonderful. Hope this is a success.

Old 01-28-2016   #9
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
But yeah that dial does seem pretty silly.
Yeah, if you are going to put a dial like that on the top deck of a camera these days at least make it a SHUTTER SPEED dial!!!

Old 01-28-2016   #10
seakayaker1

Looking forward to the FF Pentex, I have the 31, 43, 77, & 100 Macro lenses available and would be happy to give the FF pentax a go. Loved the K5IIs and would love to be able to continue on with the Pentex brand.

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 01-28-2016   #11
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
But yeah that dial does seem pretty silly..
That was my first thought as well. But who knows? Maybe they have thoroughly thought this through.. and have come up with a new twist of how to handle a DSLR, though it's probably risky, as I guess that if you're interested in FF, you're probably an old timer with 35mm experience behind the belt and more traditionally oriented..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 01-28-2016   #12
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Yeah, if you are going to put a dial like that on the top deck of a camera these days at least make it a SHUTTER SPEED dial!!!
+1 I can't think of any scenarios where I would desperately need to change those parameters with a haptic labelled dial. Shutter speed on the other hand... They want me to use a little twiddly unlabelled knob and have to look through the VF or at the screen to see what it's adjusting to? Nah. Fujifilm has it right.

Old 01-28-2016   #13
btgc

I believe Pentax does it purely DSLR way - speed and aperture are changed by two knurled dials, front and back. Without taking eye away from finder and without raising right hand from gripping position.

Retro speed dials are nice and stylish and find their way into enthusiast cameras, but this is just a workhorse, not "is this a film camera?" chatter subject.

Old 01-29-2016   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hmmm, I wonder how many read 'FF' as 'fixed focus' as I did...

Regards, David

Old 01-29-2016   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

One static dial position and a button each for WiFi and GPS control, but neither time nor aperture dials obviously visible on the right hand side of the deck? Well, at least they try to make EVERYTHING different...

Old 01-29-2016   #16
aizan

pentax is dead to me now. that image is depressing!

Old 01-29-2016   #17
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
That was my first thought as well. But who knows? Maybe they have thoroughly thought this through.. and have come up with a new twist of how to handle a DSLR, though it's probably risky, as I guess that if you're interested in FF, you're probably an old timer with 35mm experience behind the belt and more traditionally oriented..
Yes, I agree.

This "strange" dial might help the user to totally stay away of the menu. You choose what you want to set, set with the other dial and see everything on that shoulder display.

Might work.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 01-30-2016   #18
Doug

I'm attracted to full-frame from Pentax, as a Pentax user of many years. I don't mind the crop sensor of my current ones but the full frame will encourage me to more often use lenses longer than 50mm. My 77mm and 85mm lenses are begging for action! Nice useful focal lengths on full frame but for me "too long" on APS-C... Oh, and I'm not much of a zoom user; swamped in primes, my only K zoom is the 20-35mm FA.

So I'll be interested in shopping for this new FF from Pentax, but an important consideration is how they've laid out the various features. Can I ignore features I won't use, not getting in the way of using the ones I want? Is then the camera easy and intuitive to use for me...

And I'm wondering how they'll implement their in-body image stabilization, not so common with FF sensors, though Sony did it. They've gone to in-lens IS with the P645Z, and the Leica SL has gone that way too.

Old 01-30-2016   #19
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm attracted to full-frame from Pentax, as a Pentax user of many years. I don't mind the crop sensor of my current ones but the full frame will encourage me to more often use lenses longer than 50mm. My 77mm and 85mm lenses are begging for action! Nice useful focal lengths on full frame but for me "too long" on APS-C... Oh, and I'm not much of a zoom user; swamped in primes, my only K zoom is the 20-35mm FA.

So I'll be interested in shopping for this new FF from Pentax, but an important consideration is how they've laid out the various features. Can I ignore features I won't use, not getting in the way of using the ones I want? Is then the camera easy and intuitive to use for me...

And I'm wondering how they'll implement their in-body image stabilization, not so common with FF sensors, though Sony did it. They've gone to in-lens IS with the P645Z, and the Leica SL has gone that way too.
Good thoughts, I'm like you really considering this camera, even though I would only use it at Easter, and Christmas. But I could play around with it the rest of the year. I was horrified by the photo of the knob until I found out that they have a real knob someplace else, just in the wrong place for us muscle memory people. SR isn't big with me, but I dream that I might make use of the WiFi. GPS is stupid for me but I guess some Pros will like it.

Old 01-30-2016   #20
Doug

I'm with you on the features... different people have different features on the list of favorites, and some of no interest. I guess that's why they load the cameras up with everything but the kitchen sink!

My hands aren't as steady as they used to be, so for me Shake Reduction (IS) is useful. I would hate to have to buy a new set of lenses to get that. But I don't have use for WiFi, GPS, flash, jpeg options, or for that matter Live View. So if these things can just not interfere with what I want to do, that would be welcome!

Old 01-30-2016   #21
Hatchetman

If they made a Spotmatic with a FF sensor, I would be really really tempted....

Old 01-30-2016   #22
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

There was talk about this years ago.
It would good to finally see it on the market but I'm afraid it wont fair well.

There's just too much completion and the DSLR market is shrinking.

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 01-30-2016   #23
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
I believe Pentax does it purely DSLR way - speed and aperture are changed by two knurled dials, front and back. Without taking eye away from finder and without raising right hand from gripping position.

Retro speed dials are nice and stylish and find their way into enthusiast cameras, but this is just a workhorse, not "is this a film camera?" chatter subject.
Not just 'nice and stylish' - they also make the camera much faster to use and allow one to check one's settings at a glance. Pentax got it right with the 645N; they've gone downhill ever since.

Luckily Fuji (almost) made up for that shortcoming.

Old 01-30-2016   #24
YYV_146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Not just 'nice and stylish' - they also make the camera much faster to use and allow one to check one's settings at a glance. Pentax got it right with the 645N; they've gone downhill ever since.

Luckily Fuji (almost) made up for that shortcoming.
I persist in the belief that the 645D/Z are the pinnacle of camera handling design. As many buttons as it takes - but have all key functions one-button deep and almost everything no more than two presses away. If you learn the camera properly, you can blind-set everything and shoot away.

The top dial on this one, though. Weird.

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 01-30-2016   #25
Gary Sandhu

Look closely at the front dial- a poor photoshop job? (It's in 3 pieces)

Old 01-30-2016   #26
btgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
I don't dismiss cameras with top deck placed speed dial, not at all. They are just different breed and follow different philosophy.
645N is a wonderful piece of photographic equipment with quite different use from typical modern SLR, as I see it.

Old 01-30-2016   #27
kuuan
loves old lenses

I am certain that there are two wheels, one in front, one back for aperture and speed and I am also sure other important parameters are easily selectable too. Looks like it has three wheels + mode dial + a fifth, the one much criticized here. I believe that this 5th wheel selects what the third, top right wheel adjusts and includes the important ISO and exposure compensation and other, less important parameters. Many that may not be important to you but imo the new, first Pentax FF dSLR better offers these than not and better to have access to them via wheels than buried in the menu. I believe very much that Pentax continues offering a smaller, more compact, very well, arguable better handling body than competitors and with a very complete set of functions.

photos ( that had been linked in the site linked in the OP ) that show the button and wheel layout better:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/a...x-dsc03021.jpg
https://tinhte.cdnforo.com/store/201...6_Pentax4.jpeg

Old 01-31-2016   #28
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm with you on the features... different people have different features on the list of favorites, and some of no interest. I guess that's why they load the cameras up with everything but the kitchen sink!

My hands aren't as steady as they used to be, so for me Shake Reduction (IS) is useful. I would hate to have to buy a new set of lenses to get that. But I don't have use for WiFi, GPS, flash, jpeg options, or for that matter Live View. So if these things can just not interfere with what I want to do, that would be welcome!
I have a Pentax and they do things a bit different than the other companies,
they just march to a different drummer I guess, their built in shake reduction
does work great on all lenses, and the knob system is good, the only thing I think
will be a hold back is the range of full frame lenses. There's a bunch of older FA*
which are great lenses and they're hard to find let's hope with the camera
they make FF lenses later on.

Old 01-31-2016   #29
Contarama

AF button perfectly placed for back button focus.

I can't wait for the camera to come and then down the road hopefully drop in price. I would use all my M42 and K mount stuff which is incredible glass. Call me retro hipster if you want I don't care.

16-20 mp count would be nice.

Better question would be price point.

Pair it with a Df system and it is manual focus digital nirvana to me.

Lets hope they are keeping a big secret and it will turn out to be a mirrorless rig...

Old 01-31-2016   #30
zuikologist

Thank you for posting these. The set up for the fold-out rear screen is intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
I am certain that there are two wheels, one in front, one back for aperture and speed and I am also sure other important parameters are easily selectable too. Looks like it has three wheels + mode dial + a fifth, the one much criticized here. I believe that this 5th wheel selects what the third, top right wheel adjusts and includes the important ISO and exposure compensation and other, less important parameters. Many that may not be important to you but imo the new, first Pentax FF dSLR better offers these than not and better to have access to them via wheels than buried in the menu. I believe very much that Pentax continues offering a smaller, more compact, very well, arguable better handling body than competitors and with a very complete set of functions.

photos ( that had been linked in the site linked in the OP ) that show the button and wheel layout better:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/a...x-dsc03021.jpg
https://tinhte.cdnforo.com/store/201...6_Pentax4.jpeg

Old 01-31-2016   #31
aoresteen

The folks on the Pentax forum seem to think that the body only will sell for $2500 plus. At that price point they will sell copies to the Pentax fan boys and no one else. Then they will have to dump them at a much lower price, pissing off the ones who jumped in first.

I consider the Pentax FF vaporware until it actually is releas3ed . It's been delayed once already, who knows if it will make the 'Spring 2016' release.

BTW, the photos do show a shutter speed dial with Automation setting.
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber

Old 01-31-2016   #32
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
Thank you for posting these. The set up for the fold-out rear screen is intriguing.
right! I also find the 'twist out' LCD that moves in all directions without having to be flipped out to one side most intriguing. I believe it is a first and I have been astounded that not more people talk about it.
the mechanism is best seen here, and one also can see the rear side: http://www.mattbishopphotography.com...81854423-5.jpg
btw. one sees there that the 5th wheel seems to have a switch below to switch between still and video
some more: http://i0.wp.com/thenewcamera.com/wp...e-DSLR-TNC.jpg
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/a...x-dsc03020.jpg
a good pic of the top plate: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5703/2...fdff489f_h.jpg
not to forget the official Ricoh / Pentax site: http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxff/
and if I may add, judging from the looks it seems very compact and very well layed out and handling

Old 01-31-2016   #33
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Jeez, welcome to 2002!
fast forward to 2016 Pentax/Ricoh believe in reflex camera enough to start with new format and lens system. curious strategy in this age of maturing and increasingly capable mirrorless cameras.

if not doing this, what should they have done instead?

Old 01-31-2016   #34
DNG
Film Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Great but, HDR, Grid?, BLK, WiFi, CH/CL, GPS, Crop all on the only dial. What happened to manual and AUTO? Looks to me that they had FaceBook design it. I hope this is a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
+1 I can't think of any scenarios where I would desperately need to change those parameters with a haptic labelled dial. Shutter speed on the other hand... They want me to use a little twiddly unlabelled knob and have to look through the VF or at the screen to see what it's adjusting to? Nah. Fujifilm has it right.

Yeah.. for a DSLR in THIS price range... many DON'T want "Dumb" dials, that is: Dials with options that are rarely used, or should be a custom function button instead....

+1 for a standard shutter speed dial.

Old 01-31-2016   #35
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
Yeah.. for a DSLR in THIS price range... many DON'T want "Dumb" dials, that is: Dials with options that are rarely used, or should be a custom function button instead....

+1 for a standard shutter speed dial.
Ehm, I usually use my cameras in aperture priority mode. To me, a "standard shutter speed dial" is a "dumb dial" - for the times that I use manual or speed priority, the speed dial on the top deck is inconvenient when my eye is on the viewfinder. To me, the classic two wheel system Canon/Nikon/Minolta developed in the AF era is the most convenient. Again, this is for my use, YMMV.

Old 01-31-2016   #36
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Lets hope they are keeping a big secret and it will turn out to be a mirrorless rig...
It's pretty certainly not, but I'd love to see a mirrorless full-frame digital LX somewhere down the line. (By which I mean, a K-mount camera as compact and straightforward as the LX.) That's a thing I'd maybe save up for, as I did for a digital M.

Old 01-31-2016   #37
btgc

When they will start to make dials and buttons, fully programmable and displaying attached function (directly on larger controls and next to smaller controls) ?

I'm talking about all controls, not Fn1 and Fn2 buttons. Heck, release shutter with a button in left top corner of camera back, why not! This are electronic devices with no moving rods under.

Old 01-31-2016   #38
Hogarth Ferguson

I do not understand why it took them so long to release a FF camera.

Old 01-31-2016   #39
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
I do not understand why it took them so long to release a FF camera.
I do not understand why they are even bothering to release a full frame camera. It is a waste of their resources. In the current market it could turn out to be a crippling move over the long term.

Of course, Pentax already started a full frame prototype in the past and then pulled back at the last minute. I hope someone in their organization has the sense to pull back from this one as well.

EDIT - Of course my opinion is certainly a minority one, particularly if you spend time at the Pentax forums.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-31-2016   #40
Doug

I suspect Pentax saw the digital 645 a more fruitful niche for development efforts, less competition. And that would take the heat off the APS sensor line... anyone who wants a larger sensor could go 645. But then the market changes constantly and here we are.

This camera will have to have something significantly different and more attractive than the competition, and it looks like Ricoh/Pentax sees an opportunity in the FF market. Best of luck to them!