Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

One camera, one lens, one film
Old 10-17-2016   #1
Mjd-djm

One camera, one lens, one film

So after some long term G.A.S I've finally got fed up with all the buying and selling, so I took my wife's advice and I've sold everything except one camera and one lens.

I've realised I hate changing lenses, I hate making decisions whilst photographing and just enjoy taking good photos. So I've settled on the humble Contax G1. Why? Because the camera is built like a rock and works wonderfully for one. But the main reason is the lens, the wonderful Zeiss 45mm Planar. I've also decided to just use Kodak TMAX 400.

So has anyone had success leaving their G.A.S behind and sticking to one camera, one lens? How long did you last before you gave in?

My aim is to use this single camera / lens combo for at least one year. I've been using it for 3 months so far, but not exclusively. I've cheated on it with other cameras! You can see recent photos with this combo on the flickr link in my signature.

Time to focus on the photos and not on the gear.

Old 10-17-2016   #2
froyd

Built like a tank? I'm not sure about that, though mine has given fairly reliable service with only two small trips to the repair shop in the past 8 years.

No arguing about the 45 Planar though. It's the bomb, and a tad better than the ZM Planar that I owned for 6 months and was able to test head-to-head. Best of all for the way I like to frame my subjects, is the ability to focus at .5m.

Good luck with your trial.

Old 10-17-2016   #3
Deardorff38

In a general sense, I have G.A.S. at bay. I haven't sold out but I only take one camera and usually one lens anywhere. I love Tessar lenses, so my steady is a Rolleiflex T with Ilford FP4+. If I take my LF camera it the '38 Deardorff with a 8 1/4" Dagor. The Leica gets the least use, (I prefer the larger negatives in the darkroom). If I did sell it all, I would reduce it to the Rolleiflex.

Old 10-17-2016   #4
RichardPhoto

I can definitely empathise with you. I am a recovering GAS addict and I have in fact just listed all my remaining gear on eBay bar my Ricoh GR.

I was stuck in a cycle of buying/selling and taking a hit on each sale. Only, say, 10% or so each time - but cumulatively it probably adds up to enough to buy a nice camera on its own.

I also realised that I could reference numerous cameras and lenses bought and sold over the last couple of years but not one finished body of work or project.

I also hate changing lenses too. I always find that the lens I want isn't the lens on the body! So I end up constantly switching back and forth (28 vs 50).

I think that's why I love the Ricoh GR so much. It's a truly great camera. I did consider using a film compact such as the GR1 or something but I'm struggling to find time to get to the darkroom these days plus the time black hole that is scanning.

I'd like to see if I can make it a year just using the GR and really focusing on photographic output over gear...

Old 10-17-2016   #5
Fjäll

I had 12 cameras, digital and analogue (wich I used regularly), but sold all of them except my Rolleiflex 3.5f (never doing that mistake again), my Yashica T5D and M4-P/Summicron 35mm which I use the most. All I need now is a 50mm Summilux and I'm done for a while to come.

I think I shoot T-max/Portra 400 for the most part.

It's all the options when leaving the house really, I can never make up my mind!

Old 10-18-2016   #6
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjd-djm View Post
So after some long term G.A.S I've finally got fed up with all the buying and selling, so I took my wife's advice and I've sold everything except one camera and one lens..
So this means you have to take up another hobby, like uhm.. photography?

I'm often tempted to go the same route, but I'd hate to sell my lenses at a great loss, and later come to regret it and having to buy them back.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 10-18-2016   #7
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
So this means you have to take up another hobby, like uhm.. photography?

I'm often tempted to go the same route, but I'd hate to sell my lenses at a great loss, and later come to regret it and having to buy them back.
Or printing photographs. I've spent more money on darkroom chemicals during the last five years then I've spent on camera gear in my whole life Then again it's about choices. Printing in gum with expensive pigments is a choice. Printing in platinum and not palladium is a choice. Toning salt prints in palladium and not gold is a choice..

Old 10-18-2016   #8
Bruno Gracia

Leica II and 50 elmar with TMAX for me but it's an utopia.

Old 10-18-2016   #9
newfilm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
Or printing photographs. I've spent more money on darkroom chemicals during the last five years then I've spent on camera gear in my whole life Then again it's about choices. Printing in gum with expensive pigments is a choice. Printing in platinum and not palladium is a choice. Toning salt prints in palladium and not gold is a choice..
Winter is upon us, I'm thinking to finally starts to darkroom print something... But I'm wonder if I should get a 35mm enlarger or just go big and try to get a 4x5 enlarger... or maybe a 6x9 is the max a small home can fit (and pack away when not in use)? hm... oh god please don't let this turn into another GAS

Old 10-18-2016   #10
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfilm View Post
Winter is upon us, I'm thinking to finally starts to darkroom print something... But I'm wonder if I should get a 35mm enlarger or just go big and try to get a 4x5 enlarger... or maybe a 6x9 is the max a small home can fit (and pack away when not in use)? hm... oh god please don't let this turn into another GAS
If you don't have dedicated darkroom, I wouldn't go bigger then 6x6/6x7 enlarger. Larger then that and they become quite large. I have a darkroom so I have a 4x5 enlarger + custom back for my 18x24cm camera to allow enlargements directly from there. But with out a real darkroom, enlargers are quite big, difficult to store and slow to set up (big ones that is, there are nice small ones for 35mm and for 6x6).

Darkroom it self can be had cheaply. If you have the space. Also standard silver gelatin prints ain't too expensive. Paper is readily available and relatively cheap (even great ones). Developers are cheap as are standard toners. Money starts to pour in once you decide to go alternative routes and do creative decisions in materials.

Old 10-18-2016   #11
jazzwave

I have G1+ Planar 45/2, love it...
Any film working well with this camera.but mostly use T-Max.

If I have to upgrade, probably go to G2 (black) with 45/2 (black).
That not urgent upgrade, but nice to have Black Contax G...

~ron~

Last edited by jazzwave : 10-18-2016 at 03:33. Reason: .

Old 10-18-2016   #12
:: Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
All I need now...
The three little words of doom!

Old 10-18-2016   #13
narsuitus

Nikon F2
35mm f/1.4 Nikon
Tri-X

Nikon F4
28-70mm f/2.8 Nikon auto focus
Tri-X

Mamiya C220
80mm f/2.8 Mamiya-Sekor
Tri-X

Old 10-18-2016   #14
narsuitus

Since this question was asked in the Zeiss forum:

Nikon F2
28mm f/2 Zeiss
Tri-X

Old 10-18-2016   #15
B-9
Devin Bro

Always liked the Contax G1 (never had a G2) but found the focus system quirky at best...

Although I don't recall losing any good shots over fuzzy focus. Body felt solid and mine had plenty of scratches and scuffs to prove a fair level of ruggedness hidden beneath the fancy exterior.

Love the 28/2.8 and had briefly a 35/2.0 but always lusted for the extra tiny reach of the 45.

I think it's a solid choice for a kit added with your smartphone for quick snaps and social media (if your into it anyhow)

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 10-18-2016   #16
Scapevision

I had lasted for a long time with just one Mamiya C220 until I started travelling with it and wanted something more portable. Then I added a 690 fuji, not the most portable but it was amazing to shoot. After a while I got a chance to trade for Bronica SQ-A, and being a lover of square format I did. So I travelled with Bronica. Meanwhile, winter came and I needed something more compact because of the elements. So I jumped into 35mm with a Minolta CLE that I got for good price from a buddy. I sold the C220. At the time I had two cameras. As time went on, I really wanted to get a 35mm lens to go with my 50mm, so I sold CLE and bought a Bessa R2m with another 35mm. Then I saw my traded earlier 690 and wanted one again for the amazing negs. So I bought one from Japan, better condition. Now I had 3 to choose from.
After a while I got sick of shooting 35mm format and decided to sell it for a digital. That lasted a week before I sold it. A while later I tried again with adapting m mount to sony a7, hated it, a week later sold. I found a deal on Contax G1 with the 45mm as well and went for it, as I had a lot of film left over. So now I have 3 cameras and I seem to shoot at least two a lot. I guess I didn't last. Although, having just one is amazingly liberating and I would totally do it again if not for different needs with winter coming again.

Old 10-18-2016   #17
zuiko85

I'm with you until you got to the taking good pictures part. Not one particle of artist in me, but I do love mechanical cameras. That said, having a choice of fields of view is burdensome to me so I like to have only one lens at a time when I'm out and about. Still cannot seem to part with my toys though, want at least the option of another choice, even sitting at home in a box. I'll become enamored with one camera and use nothing else for several weeks, then, like a fickle lover switch to something else for the next few moons.

Old 10-18-2016   #18
zuiko85

Almost forgot, yes, have left my G.A.S. behind, at 67 and retired it's just not as much fun anymore. Went to a old camera fair couple of months ago......
and gasp! Didn't buy a single thing! Shocked even myself. Thing is I was not even tempted. That is the first time in 35 years that has happened. I think it is now my new normal.

Old 02-01-2017   #19
Evan Bedford

More power to you, but I don't think I could do it. Several different environments means several different cameras for me:
1) hiking, therefore lightweight and collapsable (GF670)
2) urban, therefore architecture (plaubel proshift)
3) museums, therefore no tripod and no flash allowed (Sony A7s)
4) scenes with lots of interesting foreground and background subjects, therefore 3D (Fuji W3)

And I'm still not sure where my recent acquisitions (Nikon F3 and Contax G1) fit into the mix.

Old 02-01-2017   #20
Huss

I don't understand the one camera philosophy. You have, at least, two hands after all.

Old 02-01-2017   #21
daveywaugh
Blah

Yeah I've done the same recently. M4 with 35mm Zeiss Biogon-C f2.8. Kodakk TMAX400 too :-)

Old 02-01-2017   #22
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

I usually start buying stuff when I don't have enough free time to actually be using stuff. It's a hard habit to break. Then you start using stuff, and realize you can't use it all.

Old 02-01-2017   #23
jrose125

My everyday carry is a Leica M3, Elmar 50mm f/2.8, usually loaded with Tri-x or HP5. Portra 400 if its colour.

After a good 6 months of owning this camera (my first Leica), I've sold off quite a few of my 35mm cameras. I guess I can confidently say that I don't think I'll be buying a 35 camera anytime soon.

Now, I've got a Yashica Mat-124G on the way so I guess we'll see if I get "G.A.S." for medium format cameras (It will be my first camera larger than 35mm).

Old 02-01-2017   #24
Kent
Finally at home...

Even if I have to admit that I "suffer" from GAS, I would not restrict myself to that.
"Suffer" has the wrong meaning anyway. I don't "suffer", I "enjoy".
And I, meanwhile, can control it insofar that I only take very few items on a day trip in order to focus on (pun intended!) taking photos instead of on gear.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 02-02-2017   #25
briansilcox

I go with one lens to one camera ratio... I keep the Leitz 90 f4 on my Canon IIf2, I keep the Summicron 50 f2 collapsible on the Leica IIIf, and I keep my Voigtlander 25 f4 on my Nicca 3-F.

Similarly, the Zeiss postwar Biogon 35 f2.8 resides on my Contax IIa, the prewar Biogon 35 f2.8 on my Contax II, and the Opton 50 f 1.5 stays on a second Contax IIa.

Since the Nikon S-3 has multiple frames that I find quite usable, I swap lenses on it as required. As you can see I had quite a gas attack, early on, but have found relief in shooting and processing, which is fun too!

Old 02-02-2017   #26
pressureworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
I usually start buying stuff when I don't have enough free time to actually be using stuff. It's a hard habit to break. Then you start using stuff, and realize you can't use it all.
This is my problem Pentax 67II, Hasselblad 501c, Leica M6 it's more than I need, but it's so hard to part with any of it.

Old 02-02-2017   #27
Daryl J.

One camera, one lens, one film: I am not capable of impossible things.

Old 02-02-2017   #28
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
One camera, one lens, one film: I am not capable of impossible things.
Dear Daryl,

And I am still less capable of realizing pointless fantasies. The "one cameras..." thing crops up regularly. WHY?

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-02-2017   #29
oftheherd

When I didn't know there were cameras with interchangeable lenses, I was happy that way. Now I cannot understand why anyone would want to restrict themselves that way.

But each his own. If one enjoys that, there isn't anything better to do.

Old 02-02-2017   #30
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Dear Daryl,

And I am still less capable of realizing pointless fantasies. The "one cameras..." thing crops up regularly. WHY?

Cheers,

R.
WHY?

Because people like to get support/validation for what they're doing to make them feel comfortable/important/supported/valued.

Now, why would someone want to only use one camera/lens?

Because a lot of people get caught up in buying cameras and get paralysed by the decision of what to take.

Because a lot of people eventually find that most of their photography is done with a single camera/lens anyway

Because a lot of people prefer a simple life to a complicated one, and only having one camera makes life easier.

Now, I'm sure you've got valid responses to all of those. I'm sure you know exactly what gear to take to what situation, that you use a wide range of gear, that some shots are better with an X type of camera while others require Y, and even that having one camera does not equal a simple life. But hey, each to their own I guess.

I am a one camera/lens person*. I currently have two lenses (35mm-21mm) and I don't like it. On the other hand, I have two bodies (M4-M6) and have no issue with changing body to suit the situation - I'm not going to miss a shot changing body or because I took the wrong one. Photography is a hobby, and I find I can do everything I want with a 35mm lens.

*If I'm doing a specific project then I can have others. For instance I took a series of still life's with a Nikon FE and a micro-Nikkor 55/3.5, but I don't consider it when taking a camera with me when I go somewhere, it doesn't ever have film loaded.

Old 02-02-2017   #31
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheherd View Post
When I didn't know there were cameras with interchangeable lenses, I was happy that way. Now I cannot understand why anyone would want to restrict themselves that way.

But each his own. If one enjoys that, there isn't anything better to do.
It's like you get to make your own fixed lens camera form all the compatible lens/camera combinations. Otherwise we just complain that the X100 doesn't have a 50mm lens, or the Q doesn't have a 35mm and so on. "I'd buy the Leica Q if only it had an optical VF and a 35mm lens!" Just make your own with a 35mm lens on an M!

Old 02-02-2017   #32
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
WHY?..

Because a lot of people get caught up in buying cameras and get paralysed by the decision of what to take.
That happens to me when I go on holiday.

But when I work on a project there is no problem, because I know what my intention is and my focus is narrowed.

Old 02-02-2017   #33
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
. . . *If I'm doing a specific project then I can have others. . .
Dear Michael,

Well, yes. That was my point, really.

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-02-2017   #34
Spanik

I cannot see a single reason to do it. If a single camera, a single lens and a single film would be all we ever needed then if you continued on this you end up with so many contradictions it fails on all counts.

There is no problem in deciding what camera, lens and film you use. It is all part of the creative decision to make when you make a photo.

Limiting yourself that way would be like Van Gogh limiting himself to a single black HB pencil and A4 paper. Sure he would have made some masterpieces, but what would we have missed...

Old 02-02-2017   #35
kxl
Social Documentary

I can definitely deal with one camera, one lens, one film... for ONE DAY.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 02-02-2017   #36
Jake Mongey

I feel you, I recently sold all my gear that I didnt use or that didnt have any value just keeping my canon 7, Pentax KM, c33 and RB67

however I purchased a rolleicord 5 which is my camera dedicated for my 365 on film (i have been called crazy many times for doing this) so Im halfway doing it however you have succeeded more than me

Good luck!

Old 02-02-2017   #37
Evan Bedford

This reminds me of an article in the Globe and Mail a few months ago about a father and son who gave up their cameras and just drew what they saw. It may initially sound crazy, but when you think of it, the images got burned on to their neurons instead of film. I'm not sure that I could follow in their footsteps, but their example impressed me so much that I bought a Great Courses course on drawing.

Found it! http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle30091216/

Looks like it struck a chord with someone else as well: http://birdbraindesigns.ca/sketching...tchbook-focus/

I think both the OP and the author of the drawing article must have a touch of Zen Buddhism hidden away within them.

Old 02-02-2017   #38
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I've cheated on it with other cameras!
Sounds like M4-2 to me. It is the camera I'm returning to after not cheating, but exercising few more. On film I'm with Ilford and its subsidiaries . And I'm selling all of M mount lenses because Summarit-M is the one I need. But keeping two LTM Russians to cheat with!

Old 02-02-2017   #39
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
That happens to me when I go on holiday.

But when I work on a project there is no problem, because I know what my intention is and my focus is narrowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj
. . . *If I'm doing a specific project then I can have others. . .
Dear Michael,

Well, yes. That was my point, really.

Cheers,

R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
I can definitely deal with one camera, one lens, one film... for ONE DAY.
I suppose these are all the variations on the same idea?

I am perfectly fine in saying, "for this particular still life project I will use a micro-Nikkor" but find it very hard to pick from many similar lens/camera combinations both when leaving for the day and shot to shot.

Old 02-03-2017   #40
jmilkins
Digited User

I know a one cam one lens one film guy. But he's spent a lot of another guy's cash by pointing out bargains.

Vicarious GAS. "Do it!"

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.