Agfa APX400 opinions
Old 07-16-2019   #1
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Agfa APX400 opinions

Hi all, so here is the scenario. Film in Australia is very, very expensive. Unfortunately, the relative weakness of the Aussie Dollar means that buying from the US has also become, very, very expensive...

I've been digging around to try and find the cheapest options locally, and have come across Agfa APX400. It's about 20% cheaper than the usual characters like HP5+ and 400TX, and the AUD price locally is actually cheaper than the USD price from B&H.

Has anyone been using APX400 for a while and can comment on its qualities?

I shot a couple of rolls in Penang by accident (it was the only film I could find...) but not enough to form a solid opinion on... Searching RFF doesn't bring up a great deal of info, and nothing since 2010.

Thanks!
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019   #2
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor
 
sebastel's Avatar
 
sebastel is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: highdelberg
Posts: 1,146
i can't comment on APX400, but ..

i came across the claim that APX400, kentmere 400, rollei rpx 400, and even ilford pan400 are the same.

at least i used the latter three, and found them to be very similar. not quite on the level of hp5, but very useable. not a complaint, but the negatives come out a bit thinner, was my impression. for scanning, that's ok (and that is what i do). for wet printing, you might need to invest a bit more work to get used to it.

cheers,
sebastian
__________________

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #3
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastel View Post
i can't comment on APX400, but ..

i came across the claim that APX400, kentmere 400, rollei rpx 400, and even ilford pan400 are the same.

at least i used the latter three, and found them to be very similar. not quite on the level of hp5, but very useable. not a complaint, but the negatives come out a bit thinner, was my impression. for scanning, that's ok (and that is what i do). for wet printing, you might need to invest a bit more work to get used to it.

cheers,
sebastian
Thanks for the response.

Lol that's basically the issue I'm having, lots of speculation on what APX400 is/is not the same as, but hardly anyone actually talking about using it...
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #4
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Thanks for the response.

Lol that's basically the issue I'm having, lots of speculation on what APX400 is/is not the same as, but hardly anyone actually talking about using it...
I have used, I have tested it. Also in comparison to other films: AgfaPhoto APX 400 is indeed from the Kentmere 400 production. Same is true for RPX 400, which is also Kentmere 400.
But Ilford Pan 400 is different. At least here in my region Kentmere 400 is the cheapest, and APX 400 und RPX 400 are much more expensive.
You should now that these emulsions are optimised for lower production costs and not on the same quality level as FP4+ and HP5+. For example the anti-halation layer of the Kentmere is visibly less effective than that of FP4/HP5. You get a kind of halo around light sources and light reflecting things.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #5
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
I made a test print from a neg of the stuff a few weeks ago. Too early to say anything conclusive though, and I have another roll of it in a camera which, I've found out, tends to give very generous exposure, we'll see. My preliminary impressions are: grey, flat tones, but that could probably be changed with development and of course lighting. I see similar from what people post of HP5+, but have no experience with that film. Grain and resolution not super fine, but totally workable for most things. Fairly dark film base, which I'm not a fan of. My personal "reference" is TMY-2.

I think the problem with these budget films is that few experienced, quality-minded photographers use them, so we hardly get to see the results that could be obtained with optimum exposure and processing. I'd love to see some super high resolution comparison scans...
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #6
Mooshoepork
Registered User
 
Mooshoepork is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 13
Nick, APX 400 is the same as CHM 400 at ikigai. About 8.50 a roll I think. Probably the cheapest film...if you’re wanting to buy in bulk it’s possible to get tri-x around $9 ish

Next step is bulk loading
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #7
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,799
Kentmere 400 = Agfa APX 400 New = Rollei RPX 400.

Ilford PAN 400 ≠ the above three.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #8
Mooshoepork
Registered User
 
Mooshoepork is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Kentmere 400 = Agfa APX 400 New = Rollei RPX 400.
And foto impex CHM
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #9
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooshoepork View Post
Nick, APX 400 is the same as CHM 400 at ikigai. About 8.50 a roll I think. Probably the cheapest film...if youíre wanting to buy in bulk itís possible to get tri-x around $9 ish

Next step is bulk loading
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of CMH400. That said, Decisive Moment and Walkens both do APX for $7.90/$8.00.

Bulk loading is definitely on my radar, just haven't got around to figuring out how to do it
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #10
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of CMH400. That said, Decisive Moment and Walkens both do APX for $7.90/$8.00.

Bulk loading is definitely on my radar, just haven't got around to figuring out how to do it
I've loaded a few dayroll loaders without issue Nick. Not hard, although I suppose some loaders would be better than others. I am not a fan of re-loadable cassettes. Have seen too many light leaks from other peoples' films as they age. So I simply recycle pre-loaded Kodak, Fuji etc C-41 cassettes that have had their films processed. Minilabs snip the rolls off at the spool leaving about a 10mm stub. Perfect for taping the tag of your bulk roll onto. If you want to see how it's done etc let me know, I am 30 minutes NW of Hobart or 10 minutes SE of New Norfolk.
Cheers,
Brett
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #11
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I've loaded a few dayroll loaders without issue Nick. Not hard, although I suppose some loaders would be better than others. I am not a fan of re-loadable cassettes. Have seen too many light leaks from other peoples' films as they age. So I simply recycle pre-loaded Kodak, Fuji etc C-41 cassettes that have had their films processed. Minilabs snip the rolls off at the spool leaving about a 10mm stub. Perfect for taping the tag of your bulk roll onto. If you want to see how it's done etc let me know, I am 30 minutes NW of Hobart or 10 minutes SE of New Norfolk.
Cheers,
Brett
Thanks for the suggestions and offer, much appreciated.

By the way, I *think* you developed the only rolls of APX400 I've shot. Did you have any views on the stuff?
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #12
majid
Fazal Majid
 
majid's Avatar
 
majid is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 611
I have used the old, genuine Agfa APX400. Very grainy, without the charm of (original) Tri-X, and unlike APX100 which was a stellar film. What’s currently sold as APX400 is a reboot, though, I doubt it shares much with the original.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #13
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and offer, much appreciated.

By the way, I *think* you developed the only rolls of APX400 I've shot. Did you have any views on the stuff?
Nick,
it would have been quite a while ago, if I did, it's been some time since I developed black and white for anyone else in Hobart (as in, a year or two). Although if you want to do it yourself, come over some time, and I will walk you through it.
Cheers,
Brett
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2019   #14
Mooshoepork
Registered User
 
Mooshoepork is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of CMH400. That said, Decisive Moment and Walkens both do APX for $7.90/$8.00.

Bulk loading is definitely on my radar, just haven't got around to figuring out how to do it
Trevor that runs decisive is a nice dude. Iíd support him over the ****heads that run walkens any day.

The bulk roll price per roll of HP5 or something is about 4-5 bucks I think?

Cost to develop yourself maybe 50 cents.

I donít think it really gets any cheaper than that.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #15
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
Retail prices in Aus do appear very high in international comparison, even after factoring in the current exchange rates. Why? And what prevents you from importing yourselves? Even at current exchange rates, the European or American prices are about as affordable to an Australian at minimum wage as to a German at (admittedly crazy low) minimum wage.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #16
gavinlg
Registered User
 
gavinlg's Avatar
 
gavinlg is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 5,078
https://walkens.com.au

https://ikigaicamera.com.au

Between these two film resellers Australia is actually one of the cheaper places in the world to buy film. Reasonable shipping costs too.
__________________
NO PRAISE
@gavinlagrange
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #17
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
https://walkens.com.au

https://ikigaicamera.com.au

Between these two film resellers Australia is actually one of the cheaper places in the world to buy film. Reasonable shipping costs too.
Ah you're right, I fell for a random place that was very expensive. 135-36 TMY-2 for AUS 9.09, that's cheaper than anything in Europe and similar to the cheapest sources in the US. It think it's worth that. Probably no super deals like the Ultrfine films, only the US get these....
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #18
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
https://walkens.com.au

https://ikigaicamera.com.au

Between these two film resellers Australia is actually one of the cheaper places in the world to buy film. Reasonable shipping costs too.
Really? One of the cheaper places in the world?

From Ikigai (35mm)...

$14 for Portra400
$17 for P400H
$21 for Provia 100f
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #19
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Really? One of the cheaper places in the world?

From Ikigai (35mm)...

$14 for Portra400
$17 for P400H
$21 for Provia 100f
Considering and calculating the exchanges rates and average wage level (purchasing power parity) these prices are on a similar level to what we pay here in Europe.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #20
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Considering and calculating the exchanges rates and average wage level (purchasing power parity) these prices are on a similar level to what we pay here in Europe.

Cheers, Jan
Fair point, but Iím not looking for the cheapest place to by film when average wages are factored in. Iím just looking for the cheapest option on *my* wage in a global market place. And the prices listed above are much more expensive than the US.
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #21
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
At least the Portra is cheaper than in Europe, in absolute terms (not PPP-adjusted). As is TMY-2 at AUS 9.09 at Walkens.
Average wages, as well as minimum wages, are higher in Australia than in most of Europe.
Comparing to the purchasing power of average earners in the US, Norway, Switzerland or the Emirates is an exercise in frustration for all the rest of us.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #22
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
At least the Portra is cheaper than in Europe, in absolute terms (not PPP-adjusted). As is TMY-2 at AUS 9.09 at Walkens.
Average wages, as well as minimum wages, are higher in Australia than in most of Europe.
Comparing to the US, Norway, Switzerland or the Emirates is an exercise in frustration for all the rest of us.
Where are you getting that price? Walkens is showing $10 for Tmax400 for me?
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #23
retinax
Registered User
 
retinax is offline
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 917
Maybe they're not charging me sales tax due to my foreign IP address? Still a decent price me thinks. How odd that Fuji is more expensive than in Europe, isn't there an FTA?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #24
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Fair point, but Iím not looking for the cheapest place to by film when average wages are factored in. Iím just looking for the cheapest option on *my* wage in a global market place. And the prices listed above are much more expensive than the US.
I guess you are comparing to prices of B&H in NY. AFAIK there is no VAT on their prices, whereas our European distributors - and I think the Australian, too - have of course to add VAT. VAT is in the range of 17% to 25% in EU countries.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #25
gavinlg
Registered User
 
gavinlg's Avatar
 
gavinlg is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Really? One of the cheaper places in the world?

From Ikigai (35mm)...

$14 for Portra400
$17 for P400H
$21 for Provia 100f
Some films are cheaper at ikigai, some at walkens. Of the films you listed, these are the prices at walkens:

$12.73 for portra 400
$14.55 for p400h
$17.27 for provia 100f

Here are the prices at B&H, adjusted to aud:
$11.10aud for porta 400 single bought in a 5 pack
$17.05aud for P400h
$14.21aud for provia 100f

So yeah. One of the cheaper places in the world. I can remember around 10 years ago when the cheapest price in Australia for portra 400 was about $24. pro400h was around the same. It's much, much cheaper now.
__________________
NO PRAISE
@gavinlagrange
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #26
nickthetasmaniac
Registered User
 
nickthetasmaniac is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlg View Post
Some films are cheaper at ikigai, some at walkens. Of the films you listed, these are the prices at walkens:

$12.73 for portra 400
$14.55 for p400h
$17.27 for provia 100f

Here are the prices at B&H, adjusted to aud:
$11.10aud for porta 400 single bought in a 5 pack
$17.05aud for P400h
$14.21aud for provia 100f

So yeah. One of the cheaper places in the world.
They arenít *my* prices at Walkens. Iím assuming that being in NZ they are automatically deducting GST when you look at their website.
__________________
Ricoh GRII | Pentax SV, SP-F, MX & LX | Leica M2 | Olympus Pen F + 35RD | Minolta Autocord | Hasselblad 500cm + SWC/m

Instagram @other_strange_creatures
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #27
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
If Tri-X is around the same price, then your decision is much simpler. It's surely the best 400 ISO film around (but of course it's actually a 200 or 250 ISO film). It does everything I need it to do. If I need a slower film, it just gets shot at slower speeds. The flexibility and quality of this film is amazing. Microsol X, Rodinal, D76, etc are all great developers for Tri-X, and give quite different negs. It's nice to have a film that is reliable and works so well with different developers. Makes my job a lot easier as a film photographer.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #28
gavinlg
Registered User
 
gavinlg's Avatar
 
gavinlg is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wellington NZ
Posts: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
They aren’t *my* prices at Walkens. I’m assuming that being in NZ they are automatically deducting GST when you look at their website.
Thats possible. GST is just 10% though. The prices are still roughly in line with b&h which is likely the cheapest in the world.
__________________
NO PRAISE
@gavinlagrange
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #29
john_s
Registered User
 
john_s is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
I have used the old, genuine Agfa APX400. Very grainy, without the charm of (original) Tri-X, and unlike APX100 which was a stellar film. Whatís currently sold as APX400 is a reboot, though, I doubt it shares much with the original.

Very true. The Agfa APX400 needed to be very generously exposed and then it was lovely for portraits, but it was definitely an older style of film compared to the big manufacturers.


Why is Tri-X more expensive than TMax400? I think i remember it being the other way around when TMax400 was introduced as New! Improved!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #30
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Kentmere 400 = Agfa APX 400 New = Rollei RPX 400.

Ilford PAN 400 ≠ the above three.
Here is no Ilford PAN 400 on Ilford web-site.
Where this film is coming from?

I'm using Kentmere 400 instead of HP5+ now. Here is some diffrence, but not enough to justify price difference. Only maybe @3200 it might show some significant difference. At box speed, prints are next to be the same.
  Reply With Quote

Ilford PAN 400
Old 07-18-2019   #31
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer
 
ChrisPlatt's Avatar
 
ChrisPlatt is offline
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Queens NYC
Age: 58
Posts: 2,839
Ilford PAN 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Where this film is coming from?
Mine says ILFORD CAT1707382 Made in England HARMAN TECHNOLOGY Mobberley Cheshire UK on the box.

https://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Ilford-Pan-400-35mm-36-Exposures/product/839/1707382/

Chris
__________________
Bring back the latent image!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2019   #32
miha
Registered User
 
miha is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Mine says ILFORD CAT1707382 Made in England HARMAN TECHNOLOGY Mobberley Cheshire UK on the box.

https://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Ilford-Pan-400-35mm-36-Exposures/product/839/1707382/

Chris

I wish 120 was still readily available.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2019   #33
pyeh
Registered User
 
pyeh is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Taylor Square
Age: 58
Posts: 601
Quite right, Mooshoepork. Those prices from those Melbourne resellers are pretty good, considering. Even Vanbar, not normally known for price friendliness, had a special on Kodak Colorplus 200 for less than A$5 per roll recently.
__________________
Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2019   #34
lawrence
Registered User
 
lawrence's Avatar
 
lawrence is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
I have used the old, genuine Agfa APX400. Very grainy, without the charm of (original) Tri-X...
My feelings about the original APX400 are the same, unless you dig that crazy grain
Kentmere 400 - apparently the same as the 'new' APX400 - is much less grainy but has rather soft grain.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2019   #35
adietrich
Registered User
 
adietrich is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 93
Way back when I shot APX400, and I used Atomal for development. That and the fact that it was medium format helped with the grain. I loved the results: https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rff...7021.SEQ.0.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 21:41.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.