Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 08-01-2019   #121
nickthetasmaniac

Jan | Kingston Beach

MX, Super Takumar 28/f3.5 and Tmax400

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 08-01-2019   #122
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
...Cosmetically, the metal shell is thinner on the MX than on the earlier 'K' series Pentax's, and you often see them with dented prism housings.
I hadn't heard that, but it could very well be true, going by my experience. I got a black MX from eBay that turned out to have a dent in the right side of the top cover near the wind lever, right on the upper corner, an awkward spot for repair. So I found a spare black MX top with a small dent in the pentaprism, and a friend who owns an auto body shop straightened it for me no charge, re-spraying the affected area with matching black paint. So there's two dented tops, could be fairly common!

Old 08-01-2019   #123
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I hadn't heard that, but it could very well be true, going by my experience. I got a black MX from eBay that turned out to have a dent in the right side of the top cover near the wind lever, right on the upper corner, an awkward spot for repair. So I found a spare black MX top with a small dent in the pentaprism, and a friend who owns an auto body shop straightened it for me no charge, re-spraying the affected area with matching black paint. So there's two dented tops, could be fairly common!
Dented prisms are super common on Nikon F3, FM and FE2 from what I have seen on ebay. Also many dented Nikon Fs.

Old 08-02-2019   #124
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Dented prisms are super common on Nikon F3, FM and FE2 from what I have seen on ebay. Also many dented Nikon Fs.
Yeah it’s certainly not an issue unique to the MX...

Old 08-04-2019   #125
chrism

One from an MX, 50/1.2, XP2 @100 in HC-110:

Fork by chrism229, on Flickr

Old 08-04-2019   #126
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Surely dented pentaprism covers are not unique to the Pentax MX, but you will see an inordinate number so afflicted compared to other popular models.
The top and bottom covers are made of particularly thin metal (brass) and they most definitely do dent more easily than previous Pentax models.

Remember when introduced Asahi Optical Co. was out to create a professional body smaller and lighter than the Olympus OM-1, a goal they achieved.

Chris

Old 08-04-2019   #127
nickthetasmaniac

MX, SMC-K 50/f1.2 and 400TX

Old 08-10-2019   #128
nickthetasmaniac

Monolithic | Sydney

MX, SMC-K 50/f1.2 and Tmax100