Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Polaroid & Fuji Instax

Polaroid & Fuji Instax All things Polaroid and Fuji Instax

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #121
predicolous

Thank you for sharing your insights! Definitely appreciate some further examples!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #122
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Never found time to do make any photos today ... was too busy running errands all day long. Sigh.

But I least I got all the holiday plans and shopping taken care of. :-)

G

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #123
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I spoke with the folks at MiNT about the rangefinder slop and have assessed that it is normal.

For the low price point on what is essentially a very niche product camera, they're not trying to compete with something like a Leica M on precision and accuracy, nor is it really warranted since the output is by definition a small print with limited resolution.

The folks at MiNT suggested that for best results I stop down to f/8 or f/11, which is about what I figured; it works well.

I've done more testing and found that the rangefinder is quite accurate if I start focusing from the closest distance setting and 'pull out' until the target lines up. And the sharpness is really quite good if I do that, at close distances and infinity, and even wide open. The lens does perform best between f/8 and f/16 anyway.

G
Thanks for your input, but man this just confirmed how disappointed I am with this. I thought that at $1000 and with an RF, and be able to pick apertures we were getting a high quality piece.
Unfortunately your and others' experience has shown this is not the case.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #124
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The MiNT InstaKon RF70 proves to be a pretty nice camera. I'm one test roll into it now and having a good time learning it and how to get good results with it. Six of my ten first exposures are actually pretty nice photographs ... a darn good hit rate for any new camera ... and the first exposure from the pack of B&W Instax Wide film I think is remarkably good—and it's a flash exposure!

MiNT InstaKon RF70 + Fujifilm Instax Wide B&W
ISO 800 @ f/5.6 @ -- @ 1m focus

I'm satisfied that it will make a lot of fine photographs for me, and was worth the money.

enjoy, G

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #125
taemo

B&W is also growing on me on the Instax Wide both for portraits and long-exposure. too bad it is more expensive than the color version

Manual mode with flash-fill

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #126
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nice photos!

I put the InstaKon RF70 to work yesterday evening to record our holiday dinner gathering of friends. I loaded up one pack of Instax Wide Color and did all flash photos on Auto in our condo. I am happy to report that it made ten excellent photographs. I used the rangefinder to set the focus and mostly used f/11: All are in good focus with clear bright colors; all but one are exposed as well as they can be and the one that isn't was purely operator error (it's slightly dark due to shooting into too big a room past the 3m limit of the flash's power).

Very pleasing, solid performance out of this new MiNT camera. For this set of photos alone, the price was well warranted. I need to order more film...

Scans a little later on.

G

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #127
Godfrey
somewhat colored

My small gallery of the Orphan Thanksgiving Pot Luck folks who descended upon our condo and made the evening a grand event.

MiNT InstaKon RF70 + Fujifilm Instax Wide Color

Click this link to go to the gallery.

Enjoy! G

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #128
taemo

great shots, the built-in flash and A mode seems to be capable of getting the right exposure.

if you guys have an amazon prime account, I found subscribing for 100 sheets (5x20) is the cheapest way to get Instax Wide (80CAD$ which is approximatelly 60US$).

sadly, Instax Wide B&W, cheapest place I could find is locally at The Camera Store for 15CAD$ or 11US$.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #129
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by taemo View Post
great shots, the built-in flash and A mode seems to be capable of getting the right exposure.

if you guys have an amazon prime account, I found subscribing for 100 sheets (5x20) is the cheapest way to get Instax Wide (80CAD$ which is approximatelly 60US$).

sadly, Instax Wide B&W, cheapest place I could find is locally at The Camera Store for 15CAD$ or 11US$.
Yes, the built-in flash works well as long as you stick well inside its 3m range. f/8 and f/11 were used for these photos. I'd like to rig a cable for the external flash receptacle so I can also use my RF flash trigger and more powerful flash units, reflectors, etc.

You don't really need Prime to buy that set of five two-packs. The best price I can find on Amazon is US$78.49 for that set (CAD $108 at present). Monochrome is only sold in single pack units and the best I've found anywhere is US $13.99 each (CAD $19). $15CAD is quite a discount.

That said, I've found that unless I'm building inventory for a specific shooting project, it's best for me to buy in two and three pack quantities. I have too many cameras, many taking different film, and don't shoot enough with any single one to want ten packs of film on the shelf or it will age out before I'm done with it. Instant film has traditionally not aged well, and I have limited refrigerator space. ...

G

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #130
taemo

Brought the RF70 to work today and took some B&W shots with Yellow-Green filter.
I broke the glass on the ND2 filter, filed the edges and glued it on a 46-52 step up ring

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #131
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nice work!

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #132
Godfrey
somewhat colored

A little moment...

MiNT InstaKon RF70
Fujifilm Instax Wide Monochrome

enjoy!
G

Old 1 Week Ago   #133
taemo

^lovely capture!
really liking this camera for monochrome.

Old 1 Week Ago   #134
taemo

Old 1 Week Ago   #135
Godfrey
somewhat colored

taemo: delightful photos! :-)

G

Old 1 Week Ago   #136
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Just received another batch of film (two B&W, two color packs) so it's time to exercise the InstaKon RF60 again.

One thing I'm noting is that this camera isn't particularly economical on battery life. A fresh set of high energy alkaline AAs was completely consumed in one and a half packs of film. Admittedly, most exposures were made with flash, and I didn't turn the speed selector to OFF when I put the camera away, both of those things might have had a big impact. But I'll be watching the power consumption more carefully and trying out a set of Eneloop NiMH rechargeable batteries to see how the camera fares with them. It's quite different from the Lomo Instant Square, which uses a pair of Lithium CR2 batteries: I've exposed a dozen packs of film with that camera, also a lot of flash, and the batteries are still fine. That camera doesn't even have an OFF switch, it just completely powers down when you fold it. (I wish Fujifilm made their B&W emulsion in the Instax Square format.)

Such it is. Lessee how the Eneloops work out.

Old 1 Week Ago   #137
taemo

Yes, lately I've been experiencing the same issue too.
On my initial run, I was able to shoot over 6 packs before the battery was gone (the 2xAA alkaline batteries included with the camera)
Now though, I can probably do 1-2 packs before I'm out.
2 factors that I can think of:
-I'm using 4+ years old Energizer Rechargeable batteries NiMH rated at 2300mAh
-winter weather may has some impact with the battery life, although it is not like I shoot outside extensively

I'm leaning more to the fact that I'm using NiMH.

Old 1 Week Ago   #138
Godfrey
somewhat colored

NiMH are 1.35 V vs alkaline @1.5V, so I do expect some fewer exposures per charge, but there's the difference: rechargeability.

Old 5 Days Ago   #139
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I was on my bicycle ride and stopped at a downtown cafe. I took out the RF70 to make a little still life photo of my coffee, pastry, and helmet. The woman who runs the smoke shop next door saw the camera and came over to say, "That's a beautiful camera! What kind is it?"

We talked for a few moments, and then I said, "I'd be honored to make a photograph of you with it. I'll make two so you can have one, too." She got all excited and said, "Sure! Let me get ready.." and ran into the store to get her shawl and arrange herself.

After the two photos had processed, I told her to take the one she liked most, as long as I snapped a photo of it with the iPhone.

MiNT InstaKon RF70
Fujifilm Instax Wide Monochrome

What a glorious and regal look she has!

enjoy!
G

Old 4 Days Ago   #140
RLG

Thanks for sharing. I'm still experimenting with the RF70 (my second one, the flash of the first did not work). So far only used 3 packs of color film. At this moment I can't comment on battery life with the supplied batteries. In my Lomo'Instant Wide I use Duracell Ultra Power and they seem to last long.

Update: just took another test shot. 1 mark of the battery indicator already gone now. If the pack is finished I'll try the Duracell. I do not know if the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries are currently available in AA size, should have a look into that. In future I'll also try some rechargeable batteries.

Last edited by RLG : 4 Days Ago at 06:58. Reason: Additinal information

Old 4 Days Ago   #141
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I decided to put off the experiments with my Eneloop rechargeable batteries and fitted a fresh set of Duracell High-Energy Alkalines before I installed the last pack of film. With that pack now gone and the next in the camera, the battery indication is still three bars (full).

I've made sure to turn the camera to OFF on the shutter speed/mode selector dial when not being used, and I don't think I used flash on any of the exposures in that first pack of film. I suspect that both the heavy use of flash and not turning the camera OFF consistently is what caused the rapid depletion of the batteries before.

I'll keep monitoring the camera's battery use, and will keep a couple of spare batteries in the bag when I venture out with it just in case, particularly if I carry spare film packs.

G

Old 2 Days Ago   #142
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Sunday, my next door neighbors rang the doorbell. The two youngest of their four boys, seven and nine years old, made a gift and greeting cards for us and couldn't wait to present them.

They are just great kids, I always love it when I run into them in the hall or around the property, and their parents are wonderful people. They made us cookies for the holidays and the cards are just amazing, wonderful things.

After accepting and opening the gift, thanking them and listening to their excited chatter, I told them that we had to have a picture of them for our Christmas collection. With a nod to mom and dad, I told them to come on in and sit down on the couch. They're fascinated with our condo and their eyes are roaming everywhere. I pull out the InstaKon RF70 and tell them, "I'm going to make two pictures. You can take one of them home." And make the first picture.

As the print whirrs its way out of the camera, I see their eyes open wide and astonishment light their faces. A moment later the second one whirrs out, just as an image starts to appear on the first. And the look of absolute wonder and joy on their faces chokes me up.

The First Day of Christmas 2018 - Santa Clara 2018
MiNT InstaKon RF70 photo snapped with iPhone 8 Plus

Thank you, Edwin Land, for inventing this magic. Thank you MiNT Camera for repairing and refurbishing these sacred cameras, and for inventing new ones. Thank you Fujifilm, Impossible Project, and Polaroid Originals, for keeping the magic of instant film alive. It is the most precious thing to see the look on a child's face, young and old, when you can hand them a finished photo to keep and have forever just a moment after it was made. Without these crazy people, we would never have had this magic, and we might have lost it completely.

And thank you, boys, for the love you bring to my world.

The First Day of Christmas may well be the best this year. Happy Holidays to all!

G

"Only the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."

Old 2 Days Ago   #143
goamules

All I want is a camera or camera back that allows me to use quality lenses, and manual focus, aperture, and shutter speed. I guess that would be a back, ideally, for a vintage camera. I may try to tear apart a current Instax, and kludge something from my dozens of MF and LF cameras. But you would think someone would be making something by now. I don't want a plastic box, plastic meniscus lens, and point and shoot controls.

My Flickr Photos

Old 2 Days Ago   #144
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by goamules View Post
All I want is a camera or camera back that allows me to use quality lenses, and manual focus, aperture, and shutter speed. I guess that would be a back, ideally, for a vintage camera. I may try to tear apart a current Instax, and kludge something from my dozens of MF and LF cameras. But you would think someone would be making something by now. I don't want a plastic box, plastic meniscus lens, and point and shoot controls.
You must not be talking about the InstaKon RF70 because, while it is made of plastic and metal, it has a multi-element glass lens with manual focus, aperture, and shutter speed settings. (As well as Auto with +1 and -1 EV options...)

If you want to make a back out of an Instax Wide for an existing 6x9 format camera, I'm sure that you can find a way to do it. You might be better off starting with a 4x5 and doing a format reduction, though, because the Instax Wide film is larger than 6x9. Anything is possible with sufficient effort and money to throw into it.

I'd like to do the same with SX-70 format film, made out of an Impossible Instant Lab processing unit, to fit to a Hasselblad 500CM body. The problem there is probably getting infinity focus to work... But it might be doable.

G

Old 1 Day Ago   #145
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Sunday, my next door neighbors rang the doorbell. The two youngest of their four boys, seven and nine years old, made a gift and greeting cards for us and couldn't wait to present them.

They are just great kids, I always love it when I run into them in the hall or around the property, and their parents are wonderful people. They made us cookies for the holidays and the cards are just amazing, wonderful things.

After accepting and opening the gift, thanking them and listening to their excited chatter, I told them that we had to have a picture of them for our Christmas collection. With a nod to mom and dad, I told them to come on in and sit down on the couch. They're fascinated with our condo and their eyes are roaming everywhere. I pull out the InstaKon RF70 and tell them, "I'm going to make two pictures. You can take one of them home." And make the first picture.

As the print whirrs its way out of the camera, I see their eyes open wide and astonishment light their faces. A moment later the second one whirrs out, just as an image starts to appear on the first. And the look of absolute wonder and joy on their faces chokes me up.

The First Day of Christmas 2018 - Santa Clara 2018
MiNT InstaKon RF70 photo snapped with iPhone 8 Plus

Thank you, Edwin Land, for inventing this magic. Thank you MiNT Camera for repairing and refurbishing these sacred cameras, and for inventing new ones. Thank you Fujifilm, Impossible Project, and Polaroid Originals, for keeping the magic of instant film alive. It is the most precious thing to see the look on a child's face, young and old, when you can hand them a finished photo to keep and have forever just a moment after it was made. Without these crazy people, we would never have had this magic, and we might have lost it completely.

And thank you, boys, for the love you bring to my world.

The First Day of Christmas may well be the best this year. Happy Holidays to all!

G

"Only the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
Shooting young kids and then seeing their surprise when a few seconds after, the image starts showing is also one of the reasons I'm enjoying using this camera.
Took some family Xmas pictures over the weekend, my rechargeable NiMH batteries could not power the flash at all, fortunately my sister had spare Alkaline batteries and it worked no problem.

Old 1 Day Ago   #146
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Shooting young kids and then seeing their surprise when a few seconds after, the image starts showing is also one of the reasons I'm enjoying using this camera.
Took some family Xmas pictures over the weekend, my rechargeable NiMH batteries could not power the flash at all, fortunately my sister had spare Alkaline batteries and it worked no problem.
I haven't tried my Eneloops yet. Perhaps I'll do that now.

What I'm finding is that if I don't use the flash, the batteries will last through three or four packs of film. As soon as I use the flash, battery life goes into the dumpster, particularly if I leave the batteries in the camera after use. I suspect there's some "leakage" in the circuitry, and once the flash is engaged it just continues on until the batteries are removed and replaced.

I have a similar problem with a MiNT electronic flash bar for use with my SX-70 cameras. It does a good job, but will drain its batteries overnight if I leave them in when I put them away.

Yes, I've told them about these problems. It's minor, to me: I'll just keep a stock of AA alkaline batteries on hand. A pack of eight is pretty cheap and if I pull them out after using the flash, the consumption rate isn't terrible.

G

Old 1 Day Ago   #147
brbo

From Mint InstantKon RF70 page:

RF70 uses two AA batteries and can easily last 500 photos without flash and 200 photos with flash.

So, the actual results are worse? Does the battery life get worse with time? Maybe there is a problem (with some cameras) that Mint can fix as 20 flash exp. per one battery set is obviously not "by design".

Old 1 Day Ago   #148
taemo

I'm just waiting for my 2.5mm to PC-Sync cable to arrive so that I can use a dedicated flash.. unfortunately it is taking 2 months to arrive from China right now.

I noticed that with NiMH batteries too, the meter displays 2 bars but the moment I pop the flash on it drains it all out so definitely some leakage happening on the circuit.

Not a deal breaker for me but the flash definitely helps for fill once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

RF70 uses two AA batteries and can easily last 500 photos without flash and 200 photos with flash.

So, the actual results are worse? Does the battery life get worse with time? Maybe there is a problem (with some cameras) that Mint can fix as 20 flash exp. per one battery set is obviously not "by design".
I recall reading somewhere that by 2x AA batteries, they are referring to the Alkaline ones and they don't recommend using rechargeable ones

Found it on Update #4 on their site

Quote:
Batteries

InstantKon RF70 will take standard AA batteries, which will be included in the box.

Why not rechargeable lithium batteries? For one thing, batteries are messy. It's not easy to control the quality of batteries. The I-1 camera failed because of its battery. Secondly, you will need extra charging cables. Thirdly, they are expensive.

Every design decision depends on the product you're building. A one-size-fits-all solution usually means a sub-par decision. If you're designing a smartphone - heavy usage, lots of battery juice, large volume production, 3 year average lifespan, then lithium is probably the way to go. But if you're designing an analog instant camera - medium usage, minimal battery juice, small volume production, 7+ years lifespan, then lithium might not be your best option.

Good design requires discipline. The discipline to ask the right questions. The discipline to go back to the first principles. The discipline to evaluate alternatives and make good decisions. The discipline to always challenge the status quo. The discipline to think of creative solutions.

Good design is about making a lot of small good decisions. I can write a whole article on a seemingly trivial question - 'what battery to use?', but that would definitely bore my readers. When all these small good decisions add up, what you get is a superior product.

By the way, if you prefer your batteries to be rechargeable, you can use rechargeable AA batteries.

Old 1 Day Ago   #149
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Given what I and taemo have reported, it should be obvious that we're not getting 500 shots (50 packs of film) out of a single set of batteries, no matter what the type of batteries.

Frankly, I'd never expect that anyway ... that seems way too high an expectation for a camera with motorized film processor/advance, flash, etc. I've never had ANY camera with a battery operated motorized advance capable of running 50 rolls of film on two AA batteries. My Leica R6.2 fitted with the winder and six AA NiMH batteries will shoot about 25 to 30 rolls of 35mm film on a charge, but that a heck of a lot more amp-hours of power storage than two measly little AA alkaline cells, and it doesn't power a flash, ever.

Yes, I've reported my experiences to MiNT technical support and am awaiting a response, but I don't really think there's anything wrong with my camera.

Quote:
I'm just waiting for my 2.5mm to PC-Sync cable to arrive so that I can use a dedicated flash.. unfortunately it is taking 2 months to arrive from China right now.

I noticed that with NiMH batteries too, the meter displays 2 bars but the moment I pop the flash on it drains it all out so definitely some leakage happening on the circuit.

Not a deal breaker for me but the flash definitely helps for fill once in a while.
I recall reading somewhere that by 2x AA batteries, they are referring to the Alkaline ones and they don't recommend using rechargeable ones

Found it on Update #4 on their site
Hmm. I don't know where you're located, but B&H Photo has the 2.5mm to PC sync cable in stock for $10. Mine will be here tomorrow, I ordered it on Sunday. Along with a 10' extension cord.

I just popped the Eneloop rechargeables into the camera. The battery state indicator dropped to two bars (compared to the fresh AA alkalines that I put in yesterday at three bars) and flickered off and on when I opened the flash unit, just as you saw.

However, I made an exposure without flash. The shutter worked just fine. I pulled the eject lever and the print whirred out with a cleaner, stronger sound from the motor than with the alkalines. It was perfectly exposed etc (auto, f/8):

instakon_noflash

I then turned on the flash and made another exposure. Again, it worked perfectly (well, as best it might given my stupidity in picking an awful target ...

instakon_w_flash

I'm inclined to think that the battery level sensor is the culprit here. Alkaline batteries have an incredibly different power delivery curve compared to NiMH batteries — never mind different voltage per cell as nominal and totally different internal resistance — and the cheap little voltage/load sensor that is in the InstaKon RF70 probably isn't up to the task of differentiating and reporting correctly for these differences.

When the fresh alkalines run out, I'll charge up a pair of Eneloops, stick them in, and see how far they go.

G

Old 1 Day Ago   #150
taemo

I live in Canada so I need to spend at least 100$ to warrant buying from B&H, but I might need to buy some stuff anyway. which cord did you buy?
Is it this?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Sub_mini.html

Old 1 Day Ago   #151
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
I live in Canada so I need to spend at least 100$ to warrant buying from B&H, but I might need to buy some stuff anyway. which cord did you buy?
Is it this?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Sub_mini.html
Yes, that's the one.

G