Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Old 03-09-2018   #41
Timmyjoe

Nice work Brian. Are you able to buy the Arista EDU 100 in 16mm size or are you cutting it down?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-09-2018   #42
jbrubaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesbd View Post

Brian
The 16II is surprisingly good when shooting in its sweet spot! . The first photo shows sharpness falling off toward infinity, but the second is nice and sharp.

Old 03-09-2018   #43
hayesbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Nice work Brian. Are you able to buy the Arista EDU 100 in 16mm size or are you cutting it down?

Best,
-Tim
I am cutting it down. I have a post in the TLR section that shows the method I use.

Brian

Old 03-09-2018   #44
hayesbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrubaker View Post
The 16II is surprisingly good when shooting in its sweet spot! . The first photo shows sharpness falling off toward infinity, but the second is nice and sharp.
Yes, for sure - I have noticed that, too. Someday, I will be looking for the distance "filter" to go along with the two close up ones that came with it.

Brian

Old 03-17-2018   #45
vonfilm

When I logged in tonight I was surprised to see my old thread at the top of the page. I don't think I have shot the Minolta 16 since then. I need to get it out and load it with the film I got from Goat Hill and see if I can do better.

Old 03-18-2018   #46
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesbd View Post
Yes, for sure - I have noticed that, too. Someday, I will be looking for the distance "filter" to go along with the two close up ones that came with it.

Brian
Here's an idea,
Get another 16II, they are cheap, disassemble the camera and move the lens .007 inch closer to the film plane. Trust me, I've had them apart, there are ways to do this. Then you will have a camera with a lens set to almost infinity and can shoot sharp long distance scenes at f2.8 or f4 without a #0 aux lens. Be sure to mark which camera has been modified to infinity.

Old 03-18-2018   #47
Lewis Francis

I picked up a 16 a while back w/ close-up filter and case and think it would be fun to shoot with it, but have had no luck so far in finding reasonably priced cartridge. You'd think someone would be 3D printing them by now.

Old 03-18-2018   #48
jbrubaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
I picked up a 16 a while back w/ close-up filter and case and think it would be fun to shoot with it, but have had no luck so far in finding reasonably priced cartridge. You'd think someone would be 3D printing them by now.
I have several Minolta 16 cartridges. Make me an offer for one or more! I also have a spare filter set with distance filter, 2 closeup filters and yellow filter (fits 16II). thanks ---john.

Old 03-18-2018   #49
Murray Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Francis View Post
I keep the cassettes filled but don't fix the take-up side until I decide whether to use the Kiev 16 or a Minolta. They are identical except for the hub and lid. Kiev cassettes are cheap and available and if you have only limited Minolta lids you can load up plenty of film ready to go. I once switched the Kiev capstan for the Minolta and it then accepted both kinds of cassettes. An easier part to 3-D print I would say. Important point: the screw underneath the camera that holds the capstan in place has a different thread to the Minolta, so don't lose it.

Old 03-19-2018   #50
jbrubaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Here's an idea,
Get another 16II, they are cheap, disassemble the camera and move the lens .007 inch closer to the film plane. Trust me, I've had them apart, there are ways to do this. Then you will have a camera with a lens set to almost infinity and can shoot sharp long distance scenes at f2.8 or f4 without a #0 aux lens. Be sure to mark which camera has been modified to infinity.
I agree that it would be best to have 2 cameras - one for close subjects and one for distance. I just shot a roll today, shifting from close to far and putting on and off the distance filter. This is way too fiddly and the filter can easily get lost or damaged. Next time it will be 2 different cameras!

Old 03-19-2018   #51
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrubaker View Post
I agree that it would be best to have 2 cameras - one for close subjects and one for distance. I just shot a roll today, shifting from close to far and putting on and off the distance filter. This is way too fiddly and the filter can easily get lost or damaged. Next time it will be 2 different cameras!
Another trick with the 16II is to make changing the aux lenses easier by using thin (about .025 in.) angle aluminum to make a plate in front of the lens that has a slot to accept the slip on lenses. That way you donít have to open the camera to change lenses. Iíve done that with one of my cameras and itís made using it so much less fiddling around. The fact that the lens is now 2 mm or so farther from the lens does not seem to affect the pictures and adds almost no bulk or weight to the camera.

Goat Hill or subclub.org
Old 09-02-2018   #52
StanMac

Question Goat Hill or subclub.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfilm View Post
When I logged in tonight I was surprised to see my old thread at the top of the page. I don't think I have shot the Minolta 16 since then. I need to get it out and load it with the film I got from Goat Hill and see if I can do better.
Has the subclub.org gone bye bye? I canít get any photo related results googling that or goat hill.

Stan

Old 1 Week Ago   #53
zuiko85

Sneaky Minolta!
In all the years I've been messing about with 16mm still photography I cannot believe I missed this.
I just bought (off of THAT auction site) a Minolta Ps kit. It was a BIN for $17 with free shipping. The reason I bought it was because it included 2 sealed Minolta films. Usually these go for about $20 each. Not only that, but when it arrived there was an exposed cartridge in the camera, so 3 cartridges for $17, fairly good deal.
Thing is, I got to looking carefully at the carts, and they have molded into them a 'break off line' next to the take up side, something that earlier cartridges did not have.
So.....I'll have to be very careful when reloading not to stress this area too much.
I've been reloading Minolta 16mm carts for at least a couple of decades and these are the newest cartridges I've ever found (film expired 4/94). I think Minolta discontinued this film shortly after 1994 so these were some of the last cartridges made.

As an aside, I've always wondered if the cartridge bridge was removed entirely, could the feed and take-up sides of the cartridge still be used. I do have one broken cartridge, maybe I should try that.

Old 1 Week Ago   #54
Timmyjoe

Hey zuiko85,

That's interesting. I wonder if they had some kind of mailer for sending the film in for processing, and by breaking off the take up side, it made for a smaller package.

Being that they used to include instructions with the camera (in the manual) on how to load 16mm motion picture camera film into their cartridges, I would be surprised if they added the break off section to keep people from doing that.

But that is interesting.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 1 Week Ago   #55
zuiko85

@Timmyjoe,
I think I figured it out. Checking with submin.com it seems that Minolta made a daylight loading developing tank. You left the exposed film in the take up portion of the cartridge with a bit of film hanging out. The film end had a hole punched in it. You then broke off the take up side, placed it in a bump out on the tank, hooked the film to a spindle, and then put the light tight lid on and turned the spindle to reel the film out to the spool. Thus you didn't need a darkroom or even a changing bag to develop film.

Of course one would never use such a tank today. I have a ancient Yankee Master tank with two reels that adjust down to 16mm and it takes 600ml of solution to develop two rolls of 16mm film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #56
Timmyjoe

Cool.

Back when I was servicing 16mm ARRI motion picture cameras, I took a Patterson reel and cut it down for 16mm so I could do registration tests (using 5 foot section of film).

Since I'm shooting more Minolta and 110 film recently, I found a couple of stainless steel 16mm reels to use in my normal developing tanks.

Fun times.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available