Old 08-28-2018   #321
Huss

Leica R9, 50 1.4 Lux, Portra 160, D850 scan.

ZeeLeavesS-1

Old 09-04-2018   #322
Huss

Maternity shoot w/Leica M-A, Summicron Asph 35 2.0, Kodak ProImage 100, D850 scan

Old 09-14-2018   #323
Carriage

Old 10-20-2018   #324
Huss

Fuji TX2, 45mm w center filter, Kodak E100, D850 scan

Old 10-20-2018   #325
Huss

Fuji TX2, 45mm, center filter, Kodak E100, D850 scan

Old 10-23-2018   #326
dubesor

I would love use my D750 to scan my many many rolls of 120, but I'm a bit lost with the process (after the image is shot in RAW on a Lightpad). I've tried following another member's advice and doing the WB eyedropper + invert via curves in LR, but it looks way off. Would anyone be willing to show a step-by-step with screenshots? Or point me to a good Youtube video? (the few i've found so far are really amateur-ish with results that have terrible color balance and quality). Would love to figure it out, but feel really stuck right now ...

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Old 10-24-2018   #327
stevierose
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubesor View Post
I would love use my D750 to scan my many many rolls of 120, but I'm a bit lost with the process (after the image is shot in RAW on a Lightpad). I've tried following another member's advice and doing the WB eyedropper + invert via curves in LR, but it looks way off. Would anyone be willing to show a step-by-step with screenshots? Or point me to a good Youtube video? (the few i've found so far are really amateur-ish with results that have terrible color balance and quality). Would love to figure it out, but feel really stuck right now ...

This looks very promising:
https://www.negativelabpro.com/

Old 10-24-2018   #328
stevierose
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubesor View Post

Also, I have found Peter Krough’s ebook to be very helpful:
https://www.damuseful.com/collection...hotographs-pdf

Old 10-24-2018   #329
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierose View Post
Highly recommend Negative Lab Pro

Not yet fully released, but I think it's ready for prime time.

Use this url to get it today, trial or buy: https://www.negativelabpro.com

EDIT: Now fully released. I have updated the URL above.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 10-24-2018   #330
ColSebastianMoran

Or... here's a long thread on other options.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 10-25-2018   #331
Huss

Quote:
Whoa, thanks for posting that! Will definitely check it out.

Old 10-25-2018   #332
dubesor

Quote:
Whoa! Thanks! (also to the other person who mentioned this)

Negative Lab Pro looks like exactly what I needed!! Every other process/guide seemed too finicky (in the part of the process after the inverted "too blue" image is in LR, the tweaks were always very subjective and final results didn't look good). I'll give this a try on my Lightpad ASAP!

Old 10-25-2018   #333
stevierose
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Whoa, thanks for posting that! Will definitely check it out.

Your welcome. I've been waiting a long time for software like this. ColorPerfect drove me crazy!

I really like the photos you have posted.

Take care

Steve Rosenblum

Old 10-26-2018   #334
Huss

Leica M7, Zeiss 35 1.4, Fuji C200, scanned with D850, processed with negativelabpro.com

Old 10-26-2018   #335
brbo

The way things are going with all this new camera scans and the ("pro") plugins, the information of which plugin was used for inversion will now have to be a part of the image (I suggest a big bold watermark across the image!).

Take the above image from Huss, you compute the "negativelabpro" and the image and you then know that the trike was (most probably)... red.

Or purple.

Old 10-26-2018   #336
Huss

I think what matters is whether the image is satisfying to the creator/processor of that image.
"In the old days"... image modification/processing was done in the darkroom by selecting grades of paper, dodging, burning etc. They never actually were identical to a pure inversion of the negative.

Old 10-26-2018   #337
danitoma

Please take a look in the following thread:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...=1#post2843908

There are solutions mentioned for the red issue, and in a quick test I did I got much better results. The developer also responded to the thread and is open to any questions and remarks

Old 10-30-2018   #338
Huss

Leica R8, 50mm Summicron, Fuji C200, D850 scan in film digitizer mode with ES-2 film holder

Venice Beach street scene.

Old 11-05-2018   #339
tifat

Has anyone tried modifying and enlarger head for use as a film copier? I have a Durst M805 condenser "parts" enlarger and a Zeiss ZM Makro. Since the Dust head is box shaped, it can sit with the lens facing up. A couple of step-up filter rings allow the lens to attach to the lens stage. I've taken out the condenser and put a translucent bit of plastic in the filter drawer. I'm only worried about B&W so I plan to use a compact florescent as the light source (hopefully keeping it cool). An adapter and a Fuji XT20 and I hope I'll be in business. Does this sound like ti should work? Thanks.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #340
jzagaja
My website www.horns.pl

Below you can see my initial results with Fuji X-T2, Focotar, Leica Reprovit and Bowens Illumitrans 3S:

1) Entire 35mm frame resolution is 1800dpi, worst than Epson V700, image looks so-so

2) At maxiumum magnification I can get almost 5000dpi but still drum scan has better detail.

3) Shadows are poorer even slightly overexposed, especially flare is visible.

Drum scanner with visible register error (in need of service) will perform similar to 2).

Conclusion - Minolta Elite II had best lens I've seen on res chart. Drum scanner maintenance is difficult today. Camera scan is capable if multistitch used with better lens and sensor.

www.horns.pl
www.horns-diy.pl

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #341
Huss

Leica M3, Color Skopar 21mm f4, Fuji C200, Nikon Z7 scan, Negative Lab Pro software

Fire truck, Malibu

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #342
Huss

Leica M3, ZM 50 Planar, Fuji C200, Nikon Z7 scan

Old 1 Week Ago   #343
Huss

Nikon F6, 24-120 G, Fuji C200, Z7 scan

Old 1 Week Ago   #344
bmattock

I am really enjoying learning more about people using a DSLR to make copies of film negatives and slides. I am assembling the equipment i need to do the same and hope to have good results in time.

However, is there any chance we could stop saying 'scan' with reference to a DSLR copy of a negative or slide? It's not a scan. It's a photograph of something, in this case another photograph.

It would be a scan if you were using a scanner, which you're not. Scanners make scans. Cameras make photographs, images, visual recordings, but not scans.

It's just inaccurate and somewhat grating. Like when a younger person refers to vinyl records as 'vinyls'. The plural of vinyl is vinyl when referring to records.

Sorry guys. I try not to say anything but it sets my teeth on edge.

Old 1 Week Ago   #345
Huss

Nikon F6, 24-120 G, Fuji C200, Z7 scan, Negative Lab Pro software.

Old 1 Week Ago   #346
dmr
Registered Abuser

I saw one of these at a local camera show a while back. I forget what they were asking for it, since I did not have an interest at the time.

I'm wondering if a DSLR (or in my case, a Fuji mirrorless) could be substituted for the included SLR, which I assume is some kind of a Pentax body.

Old 1 Week Ago   #347
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I saw one of these at a local camera show a while back. I forget what they were asking for it, since I did not have an interest at the time.

I'm wondering if a DSLR (or in my case, a Fuji mirrorless) could be substituted for the included SLR, which I assume is some kind of a Pentax body.

I would suspect that it could. I saw one for sale on an auction site recently, did not bid, but it was similar to the one you are showing above - had a Nikon body though, which is why I presume the bidding got so high.

You can also buy something modern and made for the purpose, but it's not cheap.

http://www.filmtoaster.photography/

I presume the Film Toaster works very well, and if I were better heeled, I might consider one myself. Alas, budget rears its ugly head.

The requirements to get into this type of image copying are fairly simple, it seems.

You need a camera - the higher quality, the better, of course.

You need something to copy - negative or positive film, one presumes.

You need a way to focus on the film - this will work best, one presumes, with a high-quality lens, probably macro, and perhaps a so-called process lens or other type of flat-field lens designed for exactly this kind of thing - copying flat objects.

You need a way to light the image from behind. You'll want to make the light bright, diffuse, and cool enough to not cause physical damage due to heat to the film itself.

None of this is new - in the olden days, people used 'slide copiers' attached to their film cameras to do this kind of copying, but they were copying film to film - from slide film primarily.

This would still work with some caveats. First, many DSLR cameras are not full-frame, so an attachment designed for a 35mm slide to a 35mm film is 1:1 and a APS-C or M4/3 sensor isn't that. So the lens used would have to change, or the distance between the film being copied and the camera.

At the simplest, I have seen folks simply use a tripod with a DSLR attached, a macro lens, and a piece of film on top of a phone or tablet with the screen turned white, like browsing to a blank web page kind of thing. Some have said that worked pretty well for them, others have said it's not bright enough for dense negatives or it lets the 'dots' of the device used for lighting shine through.

Some have used a shoebox with a flash inside kind of thing. Sync the flash to the camera and you should get lots of diffuse light, one suspects.

I think it's a matter of experimentation what works best for you.

There are a ton of youtube videos on various ways to do this, and lots of web pages. Seems everyone has a different take on it.

Bottom line, though, the basics are still the basics. You're going to shine a light through a piece of film, and photograph that. Like an old fashioned slide projector in reverse - the projected image gets photographed by a DSLR instead of being projected onto a screen.

Old 1 Week Ago   #348
predicolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
this setup would somehow be similar to the Leica BEEON but with the
lightsource already included.

My current setup is a Kaiser RS 2 XA with a Kaiser Slimlite Plano, a Lomo 120 Digitaliza and a self-made mask out of thick cardboard which works very well
The budget needed for this was around 220€*(with the RS 2 XA bought used). I would not bother to spend so much on the Film Toaster but rather invest in a better Macro-Lens. But this setup has a very good cost / result ratio.

Conversions are done with Negative Lab Pro, which I can highly recommend to try! Very good starting point and very intuitiv color controls
The last example by Huss is a beautiful demonstration of NLP.

What really helps is to aim for a proper exposed negative, so keep that histogram to the right (without clipping!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
However, is there any chance we could stop saying 'scan' with reference to a DSLR copy of a negative or slide? It's not a scan. It's a photograph of something, in this case another photograph.
what term would you suggest? was already looking to differentiate the method more to a real Scanner-Scan but as a non-native speaker it's pretty hard to do so