Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Optics Theory -

Optics Theory - This forum is aimed towards the TECHNICAL side of photographic OPTICS THEORY. There will be some overlap by camera/manufacturer, but this forum is for the heavy duty tech discussions. This is NOT the place to discuss a specific lens or lens line, do that in the appropriate forum. This is the forum to discuss optics or lenses in general, to learn about the tech behind the lenses and images. IF you have a question about a specific lens, post it in the forum about that type of camera, NOT HERE.

Old 04-05-2019   #81
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
OP has returned the camera and lens. I think we are done here.
Pretty sure OP returned the camera and lens before they actually asked the question...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-05-2019   #82
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Are you certain you see lens distortion and not perspective? This comes up quite often. That things further away are depicted smaller, making rectangles into trapezoids etc., is not something that lenses do, it's a result of seeing a three-dimensional world from one point. I don't see why you couldn't correct lens distortion of whatever level in LR.
This thread was resolved by the second post.

Old 04-06-2019   #83
bushwick1234

Unfortunately the conversation here derailed in a direction that wasn't predicted. Honestly, I expected more expertise opinions.
Thanks for the rff members that contributed with skilled advise in this matter.

Old 04-06-2019   #84
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick1234 View Post
Honestly, I expected more expertise opinions.
Which you received, in s p a d e s, and ignored... (huh, apparently 'sp*des' is rude?)

The thread didn't derail, it was never on the rails to begin with

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

My Nana was right!
Old 04-06-2019   #85
Tim Murphy

My Nana was right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
Which you received, in s p a d e s, and ignored... (huh, apparently 'sp*des' is rude?)

The thread didn't derail, it was never on the rails to begin with
Dear nick,

My Nana used to say that those who can't see just have to feel. I wasn't sure what she meant by that when I was younger? This thread clearly demonstrated what she meant.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 04-06-2019   #86
jwc57

I think my problem as a photographer was loving the image, and not trying to dissect it technically.

But....that said...I've always have taken into account perspectives and lens defects and used them to make an image I desire. If you can't live with the defect, send it back. One of my favorite images is shot with an Canon FD lens corrupted with fungus. It makes interesting and, when used with forethought, insightful images.

Old 04-07-2019   #87
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc57 View Post
I think my problem as a photographer was loving the image, and not trying to dissect it technically.

But....that said...I've always have taken into account perspectives and lens defects and used them to make an image I desire. If you can't live with the defect, send it back. One of my favorite images is shot with an Canon FD lens corrupted with fungus. It makes interesting and, when used with forethought, insightful images.
There's no need to invoke the technical aspects of optics until they are required to diagnose an issue and describe how to avoid, or minimize, the problem.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com