Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

The answer is probably "no" but...
Old 09-01-2019   #1
Lax Jought

The answer is probably "no" but...

... is it not possible to adapt other lenses to the Xpan?

Is the answer 'no' because there isn't another RF lens out there that can cover 24x65 adequately without vignetting wide open?

Old 09-01-2019   #2
dourbalistar

Possible...? Based on this article, yes it's possible.
https://www.35mmc.com/27/08/2016/has...hift-lens-faq/

This thread has some insight on the image circle size needed, and it seems it's more than just 24x65:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=125425

Also, I think vignetting is the raison d'ętre for the Xpan lens center filters, because even the native lenses have a degree of vignetting.

flickr

Old 09-01-2019   #3
snaefell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax Jought View Post
... is it not possible to adapt other lenses to the Xpan?
You can do this.

Quote:
Is the answer 'no' because there isn't another RF lens out there that can cover 24x65 adequately without vignetting wide open?
I am not aware of RF lenses used for this, as they usually do not have a sufficient image circle. However, 35mm Shift-Nikkors have been adapted (I did this myself). They have a slightly too small image circle which causes vignetting, so the usable image size is around 24x62mm, slightly better when you stop down the lens. The only problem is to estimate what will be on the final image, but for 35mm it is a good estimation to use the whole viewfinder image (everything what is visible there + a little bit will be visible on the image).
It is ok to use (especially when you want to know if you really have use for the wider lens), but I eventually got a 30mm lens.
I can look up a few images later made with this combination.

Old 09-01-2019   #4
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
Possible...? Based on this article, yes it's possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaefell View Post
You can do this
Thanks for the links and the info. I am getting the clear impression that the image circle (including diagonal) remains an issue. I did see the photos on the 35mmc website but the photos still needed to be cropped and it was only done with a shift lens.

Is it not possible to adapt, say, a Hasselblad V medium format f/2.8 lens? I suppose the answer is probably no.

I am asking because I wanted to overcome that f/4 minimum aperture restriction. I'd love to take the camera to some really low light places without having to rely on a tripod.

Old 09-01-2019   #5
michaelwj
----------------

A V system lens would need a very big and complicated adapter, I’ve never heard of one. The only fast (f/2.8) MF lenses are 80mm, so they’d end up being pretty long on the Xpan. In the end, you only have scale focus with adapted lenses since they won’t be coupled, making large aperture shooting a bit hit and miss. Fast film would be your friend here. Shoot P3200 or push some Portra 400 to 1600.

Old 09-01-2019   #6
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
A V system lens would need a very big and complicated adapter, I’ve never heard of one. The only fast (f/2.8) MF lenses are 80mm, so they’d end up being pretty long on the Xpan. In the end, you only have scale focus with adapted lenses since they won’t be coupled, making large aperture shooting a bit hit and miss. Fast film would be your friend here. Shoot P3200 or push some Portra 400 to 1600.
I'll look up the P3200.

Can you show me some examples of Portra pushed to 1600? It's much easier and aesthetically pleasant when pushing B&W film that far is it not?

I'm new to film photography, thanks for your patience.

Old 09-01-2019   #7
Lax Jought

I have another question - has anyone pushed 3200 film a stop to 6400?

Old 09-01-2019   #8
Lax Jought

Just found this: https://thedarkroom.com/pushing-and-pulling-film/

Old 09-01-2019   #9
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
I have another question - has anyone pushed 3200 film a stop to 6400?
The films sold as 3200 have an actual speed somewhat less than that. Rating them at EI 6400 constitutes more than a one stop push.

Old 09-01-2019   #10
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
The films sold as 3200 have an actual speed somewhat less than that. Rating them at EI 6400 constitutes more than a one stop push.

Guess I have a lot to learn in film.

Old 09-01-2019   #11
snaefell

Quote:
Is it not possible to adapt, say, a Hasselblad V medium format f/2.8 lens? I suppose the answer is probably no.

Besides the size, keep in mind that you are fotographing in the medium format. At f 2.8 your depth of field is very limited...

I have three images below, one of the rare exa,ples where I taken the almost similar view with the 45mm Hasselblad lens (first one) on with the 2.8/35 PC-Nikkor adapted to the XPan. In the first image I didn't crop out the vignetting to show how much of the image is lost. Please keep in mind here that there was a lot of light available in the scene so I stopped down at least to 11, most likely even to 16. The vignetting is stronger with a more open aperture. In the cropped image you can still the see the larger field of view.

Taken with the 45mm lens.

Taken with the 2,8/35 PC-Nikkor.

Taken with the 2,8/35 PC-Nikkor and cropped.

Old 09-01-2019   #12
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaefell View Post
Besides the size, keep in mind that you are fotographing in the medium format. At f 2.8 your depth of field is very limited...
The depth of field should roughly be the same if taken with a Hasselblad 500cm isn't it?

I can see some vignetting even when you've stopped down, that looks problematic. It seems I can't take the Xpan to low light unless I'm prepared to push some film.

Old 09-01-2019   #13
Rayt

I owned an Xpan years ago and the 30mm lens to me was unaffordable at around $4000. I bought some adapters including Leica, Contarex and Contax C/Y to Xpan. I tried the Zeiss 35/2.8 shift lens, Contarex 35 Curtagon, and various R lenses. The Zeiss and Contarex covered the pano frame however there will be mechanical vignetting. There are light baffles if you look into the Xpan mount and they block both sides of the frame. You will still get a pano image with a few MM cut off on both sides. BTW the Contarex Curtagon is an extremely good performer better than the R mount version though I know they are supposed to be the same lens. If you want to go cheap you can try to find the Exakta mount Curtagon.

Old 09-01-2019   #14
Rayt

Quote:

Also, I think vignetting is the raison d'ętre for the Xpan lens center filters, because even the native lenses have a degree of vignetting.

Eventually I did manage to buy the native 30mm Xpan lens and used it without the center filter. I can say the filter is not necessary. It vignettes but barely visible. I shoot b/w often at max aper so your mileage with slide film may vary.

Old 09-01-2019   #15
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
I owned an Xpan years ago and the 30mm lens to me was unaffordable at around $4000. I bought some adapters including Leica, Contarex and Contax C/Y to Xpan. I tried the Zeiss 35/2.8 shift lens, Contarex 35 Curtagon, and various R lenses. The Zeiss and Contarex covered the pano frame however there will be mechanical vignetting. There are light baffles if you look into the Xpan mount and they block both sides of the frame. You will still get a pano image with a few MM cut off on both sides. BTW the Contarex Curtagon is an extremely good performer better than the R mount version though I know they are supposed to be the same lens. If you want to go cheap you can try to find the Exakta mount Curtagon.
Interesting you say that. I have the 35mm PA-Curtagon shift version, a lens that gets a variety of opinions, positive or negative on the web. I wasn't planning to buy that one, but as soon as I saw the test images I made with the ALPA mount version I was using, I bought it.

Old 09-01-2019   #16
dourbalistar

Quote:
I am asking because I wanted to overcome that f/4 minimum aperture restriction. I'd love to take the camera to some really low light places without having to rely on a tripod.
I met a guy at a Beers and Cameras event who was shooting HP5+ pushed to 3200, handheld in his Xpan:

https://twitter.com/VRSeeker/status/1136377213408825344

Not bad considering it was pretty low light in that brewery. Here's my take with a 35mm f/2 wide open, probably at 1/8 or 1/15, braced on a door jamb.

flickr

Old 09-01-2019   #17
Rayt

Quote:
Interesting you say that. I have the 35mm PA-Curtagon shift version, a lens that gets a variety of opinions, positive or negative on the web. I wasn't planning to buy that one, but as soon as I saw the test images I made with the ALPA mount version I was using, I bought it.
With the Curtagon there is hardly any fall off even at max aperture. The entire image circle maintains even luminance. I still have the lens and the Xpan adapter though regrettably no longer have the camera.

Old 09-02-2019   #18
snaefell

Quote:
I can see some vignetting even when you've stopped down, that looks problematic. It seems I can't take the Xpan to low light unless I'm prepared to push some film.

At least with the compact lenses you will most likely not get more than 24x60/61mm usable negative size.

Old 09-02-2019   #19
Lax Jought

Quote:
Contarex Curtagon
I looked up the Curtagon and it looks like an f/4 lens is that correct?

Old 09-02-2019   #20
Lax Jought

Quote:
I met a guy at a Beers and Cameras event who was shooting HP5+ pushed to 3200, handheld in his Xpan:

Y'know ... that looks pretty good.

Old 09-02-2019   #21
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
I looked up the Curtagon and it looks like an f/4 lens is that correct?
Yes, the standard 35mm Curtagon has a f/2.8 maximum aperture.

Old 09-02-2019   #22
Lax Jought

Quote:
Yes, the standard 35mm Curtagon has a f/2.8 maximum aperture.
That would be fantastic! I just looked it up, it's an M42 lens is that right? How do you focus on the Xpan?

Old 09-02-2019   #23
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Red face

Quote:
That would be fantastic! I just looked it up, it's an M42 lens is that right? How do you focus on the Xpan?
I don't know, sorry. My Curtagon is a 35mm PA-Curtagon f/4 in 35mm ALPA bayonet mount. But, if you can adapt an M42 mount lens to Xpan, a 35mm lens has fairly forgiving depth of field characteristics. So you could likely use the non-shift Curtagon quite effectively as a scale focus lens for general imaging, although obviously, wide open and at close range, much more care would be needed to assure accurate focus.

Old 09-02-2019   #24
dourbalistar

In really low light, gaining one stop from f/4 to f/2.8 but losing rangefinder coupling seems a bit like taking one step forward, one step back, and then on step to the side. But then again, isn't a lot of photography chasing a series of compromises?

OP, do you already have a Xpan kit, but just looking for a bit more speed?

flickr

Old 09-02-2019   #25
Rayt

The Contarex 35mm Curtagon is an F4 lens and the adapter has no RF coupling. I am used to the Hasselblad SWC so scale focusing isn't a problem for shots from 3 meters. No external finder is necessary. I found if you use the entire built-in viewfinder it is pretty close to what the camera actually sees.

Old 09-03-2019   #26
Lax Jought

Quote:
I don't know, sorry. My Curtagon is a 35mm PA-Curtagon f/4 in 35mm ALPA bayonet mount.
Oh I thought you were saying that it had a max aperture of f/2.8.

Old 09-03-2019   #27
Lax Jought

Quote:
In really low light, gaining one stop from f/4 to f/2.8 but losing rangefinder coupling seems a bit like taking one step forward, one step back, and then on step to the side. But then again, isn't a lot of photography chasing a series of compromises?

OP, do you already have a Xpan kit, but just looking for a bit more speed?
Yes I have the first Xpan with the 45mm lens, it's my first film camera. I have a few digital Leica Ms and really fast lenses so it's a huge learning curve for me. I quite often photograph in low light circumstances and have, in the past, photographed theatre, jazz/rock gigs in bars with subdued lighting, or photographed for music festivals in similar circumstances. I've never felt like i needed a wider lens but I have definitely felt the need for a panoramic camera.

Old 09-03-2019   #28
Lax Jought

Quote:
The Contarex 35mm Curtagon is an F4 lens and the adapter has no RF coupling. I am used to the Hasselblad SWC so scale focusing isn't a problem for shots from 3 meters. No external finder is necessary. I found if you use the entire built-in viewfinder it is pretty close to what the camera actually sees.
Oh man that sounds like several compromises have to be taken. I wonder if Hasselblad (or in reality Fujifilm) would have made faster lenses for the Xpan if digital photography hadn't taken over.

Old 09-03-2019   #29
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Oh I thought you were saying that it had a max aperture of f/2.8.
It does.

There is a conventional version of the 35mm Curtagon, the one I believe you have been interested in—and a shift version that permits up to 7 millimetres of rise, fall or cross—the 35mm PA–Curtagon. The former is a f/2.8 maximum aperture. The latter—f/4.

No rise (lens centred):

Maximum rise:

The PA offers the ability to move off axis but comes at the expense of one f stop. Mine seems quite sharp.

Old 09-03-2019   #30
Lax Jought

Talking

Quote:
The former is a f/2.8 maximum aperture. The latter—f/4.
Dammit I was so confused.

Old 09-03-2019   #31
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Dammit I was so confused.
35mm Curtagon = f/2.8
35mm PA-Curtagon = f/4.

Who is delivering these adapters?
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #32
europanorama

Who is delivering these adapters?

Quote:
Who delivers the C/Y-Xpan-adapter? It was shown at photokina and i was so stupid not to buy. reseller is gone.
with this adapter one can adapt HB-V-lenses easily. HB-C/Y-Xpan two adapters.
measured from 63mm image-circle of the zeiss pc-distagon 35/2.8 i calculated +-5mm shift without vignetting. That lens is very highly appreciated by digital-pros.
I will use it on lookaround rotapancam for 360. NB: there is actually a Roundshot Super 35 on ebay it seems with C/Y-mount-has +-12mm shift. But charger is lacking and cam non-overhauled. too expensive.
Super 220VR with tilthead much better choice.
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction