Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 VM Ultron focus tab 3D print
Old 03-21-2018   #1
Nigel Meaby
Registered User
 
Nigel Meaby is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bournemouth, England.
Age: 50
Posts: 896
Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 VM Ultron focus tab 3D print

Anyone here on RFF with 3-D printing capabilities fancy the challenge of designing a focus tab that will fit on the focus ring of this lens? I love everything about this lens except the knurled focus ring. A tab would make it much faster to focus.If not I may be forced to carve one out of wood
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2018   #2
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 316
Great idea!
Subscribed.
I’ll buy one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2018   #3
kram
Registered User
 
kram's Avatar
 
kram is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 488
A friend of mine has 3D printed a lens panel for a 4x5 camera. Looking at the finished product, you might want to get your whittling knife out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2018   #4
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 316
Any news?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2018   #5
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,107
It could be done quite easily. The main challenge would be fixing it to the lens. You’d need to glue it on, with a pretty strong glue.
If someone wants to take some detailed measurements then I could design one, just like I did with the Leica ones. 3D printed out of Brass or black stainless steel, wouldn’t need finishing.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019   #6
aufeuer
Registered User
 
aufeuer is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
I just ordered the Ultron! Looking forward to it, and was wondering if this product might help with the focusing tab concern. I will play with the ergos of the lens itself first to see if it works for me.

https://www.lenstab.com/product/taab-mini/
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is online now
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,502
It will not.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is online now
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
It could be done quite easily. The main challenge would be fixing it to the lens. You’d need to glue it on, with a pretty strong glue.
If someone wants to take some detailed measurements then I could design one, just like I did with the Leica ones. 3D printed out of Brass or black stainless steel, wouldn’t need finishing.
Forgot to mention. It is known what focus tab could be hold by dual side 3M adhesive tape for auto moldings.
I have 7A focus tab (sold separably on eBay) made this way. It is on my J-12 secure and prefect.
If you could calculate and make same focus tab for those CV 1.5 and 1.7 VM lenses, I'll buy the tabs and both 50 and 35 lenses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2019   #9
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Forgot to mention. It is known what focus tab could be hold by dual side 3M adhesive tape for auto moldings.
I have 7A focus tab (sold separably on eBay) made this way. It is on my J-12 secure and prefect.
If you could calculate and make same focus tab for those CV 1.5 and 1.7 VM lenses, I'll buy the tabs and both 50 and 35 lenses.
Hi Ko.Fe.,

All I'd need is the lens diameter and width of the section where you want the focus tab to go. It's not too hard to design, and would be about the same cost of my Leica ones on shapeways. Alternatively, if the Leica ones on my shapeways store are the right diameter, then you could just file the aligning pins down. They're 49.8mm, 47.9mm and 52.0mm for the summilux, summicron, and elmarit tabs respectively.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2019   #10
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan's Avatar
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Hi Ko.Fe.,

All I'd need is the lens diameter and width of the section where you want the focus tab to go. It's not too hard to design, and would be about the same cost of my Leica ones on shapeways. Alternatively, if the Leica ones on my shapeways store are the right diameter, then you could just file the aligning pins down. They're 49.8mm, 47.9mm and 52.0mm for the summilux, summicron, and elmarit tabs respectively.
The focus ring on the VM Ultrons is scalloped.



Do any solutions come to mind?

Would it be feasible to 3-D print a piece that attaches to the sloped diameter section just in front of the scalloped section? I own the lens and could create a 3-D model of the focus ring if that would be helpful.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2019   #11
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
The focus ring on the VM Ultrons is scalloped.

Do any solutions come to mind?

Would it be feasible to 3-D print a piece that attaches to the sloped diameter section just in front of the scalloped section? I own the lens and could create a 3-D model of the focus ring if that would be helpful.
Ah, yes.
I would make it for the sloped section, or to go over the scallops as well so it doesn’t slide off.
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2019   #12
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan's Avatar
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Ah, yes.
I would make it for the sloped section, or to go over the scallops as well so it doesn’t slide off.
When I have some free time, I will measure and make a solidworks model of the focus ring and send to you.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2019   #13
maigo
Registered User
 
maigo is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 316
As another Ultron-M 35/1.7 owner, I appreciate the team effort.
If it is produced I would definitely buy one.

Michael.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
---------------------------------
My Flickr Photostream
My Flickr Albums
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2019   #14
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan's Avatar
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 747
Does anyone happen to know if the focus ring dimensions of the 50/1.5 and 35/1.7 are identical? I suspect there is a difference, but it would be very nice if they are one and the same.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 20:12.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.