Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 VM Ultron focus tab 3D print
Old 03-21-2018   #1
Nigel Meaby

Voigtlander 35mm 1.7 VM Ultron focus tab 3D print

Anyone here on RFF with 3-D printing capabilities fancy the challenge of designing a focus tab that will fit on the focus ring of this lens? I love everything about this lens except the knurled focus ring. A tab would make it much faster to focus.If not I may be forced to carve one out of wood

Old 03-22-2018   #2
maigo

Great idea!
Subscribed.
I’ll buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-26-2018   #3
kram

A friend of mine has 3D printed a lens panel for a 4x5 camera. Looking at the finished product, you might want to get your whittling knife out.

Old 08-09-2018   #4
maigo

Any news?

Old 08-09-2018   #5
michaelwj
----------------

It could be done quite easily. The main challenge would be fixing it to the lens. You’d need to glue it on, with a pretty strong glue.
If someone wants to take some detailed measurements then I could design one, just like I did with the Leica ones. 3D printed out of Brass or black stainless steel, wouldn’t need finishing.

Old 09-27-2019   #6
aufeuer

I just ordered the Ultron! Looking forward to it, and was wondering if this product might help with the focusing tab concern. I will play with the ergos of the lens itself first to see if it works for me.

https://www.lenstab.com/product/taab-mini/

Old 09-27-2019   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It will not.

Old 09-28-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
It could be done quite easily. The main challenge would be fixing it to the lens. You’d need to glue it on, with a pretty strong glue.
If someone wants to take some detailed measurements then I could design one, just like I did with the Leica ones. 3D printed out of Brass or black stainless steel, wouldn’t need finishing.
Forgot to mention. It is known what focus tab could be hold by dual side 3M adhesive tape for auto moldings.
I have 7A focus tab (sold separably on eBay) made this way. It is on my J-12 secure and prefect.
If you could calculate and make same focus tab for those CV 1.5 and 1.7 VM lenses, I'll buy the tabs and both 50 and 35 lenses.

Old 09-29-2019   #9
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Forgot to mention. It is known what focus tab could be hold by dual side 3M adhesive tape for auto moldings.
I have 7A focus tab (sold separably on eBay) made this way. It is on my J-12 secure and prefect.
If you could calculate and make same focus tab for those CV 1.5 and 1.7 VM lenses, I'll buy the tabs and both 50 and 35 lenses.
Hi Ko.Fe.,

All I'd need is the lens diameter and width of the section where you want the focus tab to go. It's not too hard to design, and would be about the same cost of my Leica ones on shapeways. Alternatively, if the Leica ones on my shapeways store are the right diameter, then you could just file the aligning pins down. They're 49.8mm, 47.9mm and 52.0mm for the summilux, summicron, and elmarit tabs respectively.

Old 09-29-2019   #10
bayernfan

Quote:
Hi Ko.Fe.,

All I'd need is the lens diameter and width of the section where you want the focus tab to go. It's not too hard to design, and would be about the same cost of my Leica ones on shapeways. Alternatively, if the Leica ones on my shapeways store are the right diameter, then you could just file the aligning pins down. They're 49.8mm, 47.9mm and 52.0mm for the summilux, summicron, and elmarit tabs respectively.
The focus ring on the VM Ultrons is scalloped.

Do any solutions come to mind?

Would it be feasible to 3-D print a piece that attaches to the sloped diameter section just in front of the scalloped section? I own the lens and could create a 3-D model of the focus ring if that would be helpful.

Old 09-30-2019   #11
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
The focus ring on the VM Ultrons is scalloped.

Do any solutions come to mind?

Would it be feasible to 3-D print a piece that attaches to the sloped diameter section just in front of the scalloped section? I own the lens and could create a 3-D model of the focus ring if that would be helpful.
Ah, yes.
I would make it for the sloped section, or to go over the scallops as well so it doesn’t slide off.

Old 09-30-2019   #12
bayernfan

Quote:
Ah, yes.
I would make it for the sloped section, or to go over the scallops as well so it doesn’t slide off.
When I have some free time, I will measure and make a solidworks model of the focus ring and send to you.

Old 09-30-2019   #13
maigo

As another Ultron-M 35/1.7 owner, I appreciate the team effort.
If it is produced I would definitely buy one.

Michael.

Old 09-30-2019   #14
bayernfan

Does anyone happen to know if the focus ring dimensions of the 50/1.5 and 35/1.7 are identical? I suspect there is a difference, but it would be very nice if they are one and the same.