Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Where Would You Go?
Old 06-05-2018   #1
ktmrider

Where Would You Go?

Well, my wife and I are headed to Scotland in September for several days in Edinburgh and Inverness. In between we will be hiking the Loch Ness Trail (80 miles). It is my second long distance walk (previously West Highland Way) in Scotland and third walk (C2C last autumn) overall. This will be my wife's first long walk as she just retired and my previous travel partner (my daughter) got married two weeks ago.

So, besides the normal tourist stuff in Edinburgh and Inverness, can anyone suggest specific destinations? I spent a week in Edinburgh a few years ago along with Glasgow but have never been to Inverness. For sure I will be visiting a few whisky distilleries and bringing a few samples back to the US.

I plan on taking my MP240 but thinking 25, 50 and 135 vice my normal travel kit of 35/90. The 25f2.8 Zeiss arrives later this week. And will probably throw my Fuji X70 into the pack as well.

Old 06-05-2018   #2
someonenameddavid

Have you been to the Falkirk Wheel?

Old 06-05-2018   #3
tomtofa

I liked Gladstone's Land in Edinburgh, and the National Museum of Scotland is quite nice (and free). There are some great views from New Town back across to the Old Town, and New Town itself has some good neighborhood walks. Also the Georgian House on Charlotte Square is fun (you might guess we like to tour homes more than castles).

Don't know Inverness - we passed it by on the way from Skye to Pitlochry (which has the Edradour Distillery - good tour and good whiskies).

Old 06-05-2018   #4
farlymac
PF McFarland

The 25/50/135 lens selection sounds about right, though you might want to add the 90.

I just perused Absolute Escapes web site, and if you are using their services it sounds like a really good deal. If I could ever get this body of mine back in halfway decent shape, I might try that route sometime.

PF

Old 06-05-2018   #5
charjohncarter

I enjoyed Inverness and Oban. I would have skipped Glascow, also the castle at Loch Ness and Port Arthur.

If you want an out of the way place Pitlochry.

Try to stay here:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

and see stuff like this:

Untitled by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 06-06-2018   #6
Schlapp

The Highland Print place in Inverness. Catch a bus to ullapool and maybe a ferry to the Stornoway

Old 06-06-2018   #7
kuvvy

How about a trip (about 20min by car from Inverness) to Beauly, the home of Ffordes photographic. Lots of gear, check their website, bring your credit card
May not be your wife’s idea of a great day out.

Paul

Ipernity Gallery

Flickr gallery

Old 06-06-2018   #8
ktmrider

Thanks for the tip of Ffordes. There are a couple photo items in the cabinet from my last trip to Great Britain although it was Red Dot in London.

Have not been to the Farkirk Wheel so will be googling it.

And yes, Absolute Escapes is outstanding. I have used them both on the West Highland Way and the Coast to Coast. Walking without carrying a 40 lb pack and knowing you have a nice B&B waiting at the end of the day is heavenly. I wish we had something similar here in the US.

Old 06-07-2018   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

It's a special year in Glasgow as Charles Rennie Mackintosh was born 150 years ago and a lot is being arranged to celebrate. You can find the details here:-

http://www.glasgowmackintosh.com

And there's a general article here:-

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...adonna-glasgow

It's a short journey from Edinburgh to Glasgow, btw...

Regards, David

Old 06-14-2018   #10
ktmrider

Well, airline tickets have been purchased and Absolute Escapes is making reservations for the Loch Ness Trail which is about 80 miles, loops the loch and starts and ends in Inverness.

We fly into Edinburgh and spend five days and then the train up to Inverness. I spent five days in Edinburgh back in 2014 with my daughter so now planning to show the wife. I am planning on a whisky tour and ??? while in Inverness. Our hike is seven days and another night in Inverness. My daughter and I flew into Glasgow in 2014 and we fly out of there on this trip. Would you give Glasgow 2 or 3 days? I was really impressed with the Transportation Museum in Glasgow so hints for other activities would be appreciated.

And we are hiking around Loch Ness 18-25 September. Will there be fall colors? I already know there will be rain and wind. A good friend from Bozeman just returned from doing the West Highland Way and he never once donned rain gear. Had to wonder if he was really in Scotland.

Old 06-15-2018   #11
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

From Glasgow you can take a trip on the paddle ship "Waverley" by steam power. Start looking here:-

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

And go to Oban and various island famous for whisky by boat. And there's the Burrell Collection and CRM's Hill House to visit and Loch Lomond.

And from Inverness you can go to Ullapool for (say) a boat trip to the Summer Isles or to Skye on the Hogwarts line over that famous viaduct.

Regards, David

Old 06-15-2018   #12
ktmrider

Thanks David for the suggestions. My daughter and I rode the steam train 4 years ago. I don't know how much of a HARRY POTTER fan the wife is. I will google the other suggestions.

Thanks again. Don't think the Waverly will be in Glasgow the same dates we will.

Old 08-03-2018   #13
ktmrider

Sixteen days in Scotland with the wife is getting closer and closer. We have days in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness and eight days of walking around Loch Ness. She has never done a long distance walk like this but I suspect she will love it.

I understand that if Edinburgh gets above 20 degrees C (68F for Yankees), it is a heat wave. Well, it has been about 37 degrees C(98F) here in the Southwest so we are looking forward to a change in temperature and might even enjoy a little rain. We are home two days and then heading to Anchorage, AK., through Xmas. I am curious to see if she can go home again as she grew up in Alaska and we are talking of moving back next summer from the US/Mexico border. Surprisingly, the north coast of Scotland is almost as far north as Anchorage, AK.

I am still thinking MP240. I normally travel with a couple light, small lenses like the 35f2.8 Biogon and 90f2.8 TeleElmarit but this trip I may substitute a trio 25/50/135 for 35/90. I enjoy both 35 and 50 equally so it is difficult to chose. Have had the 25f2.8 Biogon for a month but have not had a chance to use it. And last long distance walk, I carried the Fuji X70 which has a 28 equivalent lens. It worked great as well.

Old 08-03-2018   #14
Michael Markey

Sounds like you`re going to have a wonderful time.

Old 08-03-2018   #15
ACullen

If you've got the time the John Muir trail on the East Lothian coast is outstanding. You don't have to do the whole thing. A train from Edinburgh to Dunbar would take 25 mins. The coastal scenery is really outstanding.

Regards lens 25/35/50 and 90 or 135 would be very comprehensive. Choose only one tele to cut the weight down.

Old 08-04-2018   #16
seany65

Here's a bit of advice I give to everyone visiting Scotland:

If you can find a Scottish cow, such as an Aberdeen Angus, go close to it and listen carefully. You may here it go "Och aye the moo!"

Old 08-05-2018   #17
Merlijn53

When in Glasgow, have a look at Necropolis, a graveyard on a hill, full of atmosphere and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery.
Regards,
Frank

Old 08-05-2018   #18
addled

When in Edinburgh, take a day trip to North Berwick, climb the Law and take a boat trip to see the islands with the Seabird centre. If you have time continue along the coast to Dunbar or further, plenty of great places for coastal photography. You can take the A1 as a shortcut back.

Old 08-05-2018   #19
ACullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by addled View Post
When in Edinburgh, take a day trip to North Berwick, climb the Law and take a boat trip to see the islands with the Seabird centre. If you have time continue along the coast to Dunbar or further, plenty of great places for coastal photography. You can take the A1 as a shortcut back.
Great advice 👍

Old 08-05-2018   #20
ktmrider

Since this is my second trip to Edinburgh I am looking for some non tourist things to do. I know my wife wants to spend some time in the pubs for the music and beer. When my daughter and I did the West Highland Way, I only sampled whisky one evening although I can't say the same for the local beer. I plan on changing that this trip.

I don't see any reason to take my super fast lenses like the 35f1.2 or 501.1 to save weight. Can anyone see something that I don't about lenses as the 35f2.8 C Biogon and 50 Summicron would go instead. And I am really leaning toward 25/50/135 instead of my usual 35/90 combo for travel.

Old 08-05-2018   #21
pgk

Well I'm just back from a very warm Scotland' west coast (with very few midges for once) after visiting Arran (Island), Loch Fyne, Oban and Moidart. The base problem in Scotland is that there are too many places to explore and once you are off the beaten track, single track roads with passing places are delightful but slow. I'd suggest Oban for sure and visiting some of the islands although the pace will again be slow - you can travel by ferry and hop on, hop off with some tickets. I took 21/35/90/135 lenses with an M9 and used all - take one fast lens though because there are innumerable twilight opportunities

Old 08-05-2018   #22
motion_runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlijn53 View Post
When in Glasgow, have a look at Necropolis, a graveyard on a hill, full of atmosphere and the Kelvingrove Art Gallery.
Regards,
Frank

I second the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. Fabulous collection, especially the Glasgow Boys.

As a warm-up for your hike, you should climb Arthur's Seat. We started from the south and descended to Holyroodhouse.

Best wishes,

Old 08-05-2018   #23
ktmrider

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how camera (Leica) prices are in Great Britain vs the US? It was pointed out to me that Ffordes is really close to Inverness? Doing a quick currency conversion, they seem pretty close to US prices. I am guessing that VAT is not included in the prices listed on Ffordes website. And am I correct that VAT is refundable when you leave the country?

Old 08-05-2018   #24
jbhthescots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
Just out of curiosity does anyone know how camera (Leica) prices are in Great Britain vs the US? It was pointed out to me that Ffordes is really close to Inverness? Doing a quick currency conversion, they seem pretty close to US prices. I am guessing that VAT is not included in the prices listed on Ffordes website. And am I correct that VAT is refundable when you leave the country?
The prices at Ffordes, like about 99.99% of UK retailers, includes VAT upfront (http://ffordes.com/terms_and_conditions) - but you claim it back leaving the country with the receipts and relevant paperwork.

Old 08-05-2018   #25
helenhill
Mod chasing Shadows Light

not sure where You stayed on your last visit
My two favorite places in Edinburgh ...

~ The Gkass House
Boutique Style Hotel , Tres Artsy, An old stone church facade mixed with a Modern Glass facade ... Art work adorns all the Walls from local Artists, have a cocktail at the 'Honor Bar ' where You mix your own and pay what you will.

~The Balmoral
Old World & Classic
met the Scottish Author 'Murial Sparks' in the lobby one day . She was in town to do a talk at the Fringe which I was so lucky to attend

Old 08-05-2018   #26
ktmrider

We have an apartment through AirBnB about a half mile from the castle in Edinburgh. When doing a trip with Absolute Escapes, it is usually a great b&b.

I just had a friend who spent two weeks hiking the West Highland Way and he said it did not rain even once. May I be so lucky as last year hiking the C2C in northern England, it rained 13 out of 15 days. And four years ago, my daughter and I had to buy extra pile while hiking the West Highland Way in August. I never realized the north coast of Scotland is as far north as Anchorage.

I tried haggis last visit. This visit I plan on sampling various whisky and bringing a couple bottles back for Xmas gifts. Am trying to educate my new son-in-law on scotch vs bourbon. And I wonder if he would wear a kilt?

Old 08-05-2018   #27
ACullen

Sandy Bell's near Greyfriars is the place for traditional music and beer in Edinburgh. Craft brewing is big in Scotland so plenty of pubs have a good selection of interesting IPAs , pilsners, porters , saisons etc.

For film needs Cameratiks in Morningside has a good supplies in all current formats. It also has a wide selection of film cameras, lenses. Only a small amount of Leica gear but plenty of Rolleis , half frame etc. Prices are on the higher end of the normal range. It should be noted that they service film cameras so you can buy with confidence. I've had my YashicaMat , Leotax and a plethora of MF folders CLA'd there.

Old 08-05-2018   #28
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

I've nothing but praise for Ffordes but be warned you'll be tempted and may well fall; an email to them about VAT should get you a prompt reply.

If you like whisky then visit Islay, I think you can do it on a trip driving to Oban and go on to the Mull of Kintyre via the islands and then drive back to Glsgow or Edinburgh.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday.

Regards, David

Old 08-05-2018   #29
ktmrider

Am fairly certain MP240 with 25/50/135 or 25/35/90 leaving the Fuji X70 at home. May throw the M5 body in the luggage just for a backup. Film will go in carry on bag.

Where Would You Go?
Old 08-20-2018   #30
ktmrider

Where Would You Go?

I have been retired for ten years and have traveled a lot. My wife just retired in June and we are headed to Scotland for a long walk at the end of September. We enjoy the outdoors and keeping active.

After we return from Scotland, we will be going to Alaska in October. My wife will be there three months (trying to decide if one can go home again). Then she is heading to Baja for New Years. I would like to do another trip with her in February. We have traveled extensively through Europe and North America. She has never been to Asia or South America.

If you could go anywhere, where would it be? I am offering her trips to SE Asia (Ankor Wat and Bangkok), Peru (Machu Picchu) or New Zealand or Australia. Neither of us has been to India or Japan (away from US military bases anyway).

And of course I would like it if the destination was "photo worthy."

So where is the one destination you were struck with or you would go back to again and again? For me, it would be Alaska or perhaps Istanbul if picking a city.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old 08-20-2018   #31
Out to Lunch

I'd stay in a place that feels like home.

Old 08-20-2018   #32
back alley
IMAGES

first...japan

then to every city that has a major league baseball park!

Old 08-20-2018   #33
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I would love to return to Madagascar.

Friendly people, stunning, varied scenery and wonderfully colorful, photogenic architecture.

Old 08-20-2018   #34
lukx

What's important to you? I do not know your desired level of comfort and budget. I'd say if you want breathtaking landscapes while maintaining a western level of comfort (prices included) go to New Zealand and/or Australia. The cities over there might me very nice, but I assume they are rather similar to what you already know.

If you are more the city lurking type who want to take photos of interesting people in city/street environments, go to SE Asia or Peru. The experience there is probably more raw and might be further out of your comfort zone, which might be more creatively challenging.

Old 08-20-2018   #35
lynnb

No recommendation, just a suggestion to include seasonal climate in your consideration. Some nice places can be pretty uncomfortable in February, depending on your personal tolerance. Sydney, for example, would be very warm to hot (30-42C) and humid in February.
Flickr

Old 08-20-2018   #36
shimokita
白黒

Every December and/or January I go to the north of Japan... just love the snow country. Been to Hokkaido many times and over the years have visited most areas in that prefecture... one visit found me spending one month in Sapporo and traveling the area by train (December). I visit the mountains and forests of Nagano 4-5 times a year... January 2018 I was in Niigata where we had 1 meter of snow in one day... it was great ; ). I can also recommend Aomori and this winter I am headed for Akita and Yamagata... what can I say, I love the snow.

Last month I was ten days shooting in the rice fields of Batad and Banaue, about nine hours drive north of Manila... beautiful. Driver and guide recommended.

I loved Chandigarh and state of Punjab, but for some reason India get mixed reviews.

Can't go wrong with New Zealand, and for something different Germany, Czech Republic, and Sweden are my picks for Europe... oh and Austria ; )

Have fun...

Old 08-20-2018   #37
Deardorff38

Ktmrider
"So where is the one destination you were struck with or you would go back to again and again"
It sounds like you've got some great trips lined up. Living, working & travelling I spend a lot of time in the mountains. As far as cities 'again & again ?' I enjoy Paris every time. If I could only ever visit one country? I'd pick Italy without hesitation, especially the northern part bordering on France, Switzerland & Austria; the Dolomites, great climate, wine & food.

Old 08-20-2018   #38
Paulbe

ktm--you're a motorcyclist--get on the bike and go! Plenty of roads here in the USA and lots of overseas organized tours. My riding friend and I did 3500 miles in June from here to Quebec City and back. Lot of sights and sites! No excuses! GO!! :-)
Paul

Old 08-20-2018   #39
Moto-Uno
Moto-Uno

^ +1 , Peter

Old 08-20-2018   #40
maggieo
More Deadly

Italy. From the Adriatic to the Alps, down to Rome and Sicily.

Be sure to eat and drink!