Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

NY Art (and Photography) Book Fair
Old 09-18-2016   #1
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

NY Art (and Photography) Book Fair

Today I rode my bicycle out to MoMA PS1 for the "NY ART BOOK FAIR."
http://www.artnews.com/2016/09/16/sa...over-moma-ps1/
http://momaps1.org/nyabf/

The crowds were unreal, my guess is maybe 20,000 people. Over 350 booksellers. I ended buying 4 books, all of them artists and photographers I did not know. It would be easy to spend a thousand dollars at the show. Sims Reed Ltd. of London had many rare books with prices in excess of 15,000 USD. All I got was their catalog, but talked them about their rare books.

I took a couple of snaps with my iPhone of the photo specific book area, just to show it was as crowded as the subway, in a huge 3 floor building.

Here is how MoMA describes the show:
Printed Matter presents the tenth annual NY Art Book Fair, from September 18 to 20, 2015, at MoMA PS1, Long Island City, Queens. A preview will be held on the evening of Thursday, September 17.

Free and open to the public, the NY Art Book Fair is the world’s premier event for artists’ books, catalogs, monographs, periodicals, and zines. This year, the fair features over 350 booksellers, antiquarians, artists, institutions and independent publishers from twenty-eight countries. Last year’s fair was attended by more than 35,000 people.

This year’s NY Art Book Fair included an ever-growing variety of exhibitors—from the zinesters in (XE)ROX & PAPER + SCISSORS and theSmall Press Dome representing publishing at its most innovative and affordable, to rare and antiquarian dealers offering out-of-print books and ephemera from art and artist book history, plus the NYABF-classicFriendly Fire, focused on the intersections of art and activism.
The book sellers were very friendly, more than 50% had major gallery affiliation.

Anyone interested in small edition book publishing should probably consider attending, it would be hard to find so many important art book publishers in one building, all willing to talk to artists and photographers. Much of this due to the long involvement of MoMA with photography as art.

FUN!!!

Old 09-18-2016   #2
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Moved this from the "how to publish a book," hoping some NYC members might see it and get to go to PS1 today.

I had a great time, so many photo books!

Old 09-19-2016   #3
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Well it's over.

Did anyone besides me go? Surely?

I spent Sunday going to lower east side (NYC) galleries, the book show at PS1 was of great interest, many seemed to have gone on Sat.

I did a little informal research with galleries regarding "Blub" books and the like. I think they have literally seen too many! However the consensus was they could be a good portfolio.

Old 09-19-2016   #4
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Well it's over.

I spent Sunday going to lower east side (NYC) galleries, the book show at PS1 was of great interest, many seemed to have gone on Sat.

I did a little informal research with galleries regarding "Blub" books and the like. I think they have literally seen too many! However the consensus was they could be a good portfolio.

I wish I could have gone!

Sadly, semester is in full swing and I'm buried with reading and grading. (Who writes these syllabi anyway? Oh, yeah, me. Why I make so much work for myself I'll never know.) Next year I'll be smarter and build in time to go! Uh huh.

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 09-19-2016   #5
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
I wish I could have gone!
I tried to drum up interest, it was a real eye-opener regarding how books are being published and distributed.

I was amazed by the number of small high quality presses in Italy. Japan was also well represented.

Old 09-19-2016   #6
stompyq

Damn.. Would have gone if i saw this yesterday... pity

Old 09-19-2016   #7
gns

Would like to have seen it, but a little far away. Wish I could get to NY more often.

What happened to that great photo book store that was in (I think) the west village?

Old 09-19-2016   #8
nikonhswebmaster
reluctant moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gns View Post
Would like to have seen it, but a little far away. Wish I could get to NY more often.

What happened to that great photo book store that was in (I think) the west village?
SOHO, Photographer's place. Long gone, very sad ending. He was always so nice to me, found me so many gems. NYC still misses him.

http://www.iphotocentral.com/news/ar...0/0/10/archive

Old 09-19-2016   #9
gns

Thanks for the link on Mr. Zucker. Always tried to make a trip to that shop if I could and usually came out with a treasure or 2. I think he sort charmed my wife into not objecting to my shelling out for a copy of Friedlander's Monuments. Was sad it went away.

Old 09-19-2016   #10
CNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Well it's over.

I skipped it this year, but I've been going for a number of years. It is a pretty intense experience. It is great for anyone thinking about producing art or photo books, and for collectors of those books of course.