Old 02-12-2017   #41
jamin-b

For home development and scanning, a 24 roll means one pass only of the Epson *** scanner....

Old 02-12-2017   #42
dmr
Registered Abuser

24 is more of an appropriate "portion size" for me. It's also what the retailers around here stock. I actually used quite a few of the 20 shot rolls when they were around.

Old 02-12-2017   #43
Ronald M

There use to be 12 exp for a short time. It was a weekend roll for those who wanted to see results fast. Or for those who do not have a darkroom & scissors or Leica Knife.

Now we have SD cards-progress

Old 02-12-2017   #44
Brian Puccio

If he price of the film and developing were one third less, I'd totally jump on board. I have one 35mm camera and there's nothing like having half a roll of Neopan 1600 in there when you want to switch to Velvia. (I midroll rewind a lot. I'd like to avoid this.)

Old 02-12-2017   #45
Spanik

From the reponses so far I get the impression the question should have been "why 36 exp are the only one found?".

Old 02-12-2017   #46
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbed View Post
I always use 24 exposure roll. It's easier to contact a full roll on a 8x10 paper sheet.
I put the negative in a negative page which holds seven 35mm strips of 4 frames, 28 frames total.
Contact prints on 8"x10" paper. Same paper size as my 120 negative contacts.

Good point. You can't fit 36 or more 35mm frames on a single contact printed 8" x 10" proof sheet.

Chris

Old 02-12-2017   #47
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
There use to be 12 exp for a short time.
I've seen 135-12 in Japan in the 1990s - I don't know whether it was part of the half-format niche that was rather peculiar to Japan, or whether that came along the fast turnaround instant lab culture of the nineties (where any Tokyo suburb seemed cluttered with more 1/2 hour turnaround minilabs than all Germany).

Old 02-12-2017   #48
Spavinaw

Why do 24-exposure rolls of 135 still exist? Because they are being manufactured faster than they can be used up. Simple!! Any other questions?

Old 02-12-2017   #49
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
I've seen 135-12 in Japan in the 1990s - I don't know whether it was part of the half-format niche that was rather peculiar to Japan, or whether that came along the fast turnaround instant lab culture of the nineties (where any Tokyo suburb seemed cluttered with more 1/2 hour turnaround minilabs than all Germany).
The half framed thing must have been something in Japan. Fuji 6x9 sport a 4exp half-120 selection -- supposedly niche but well enough spread to become a permanent fixture of a camera.

12exp does seem more niche but perhaps quite a bit was produced towards consumers, look for some expired ferrania and there were quite a bit 12 exp rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep
Old 02-12-2017   #50
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Yep

That was my favorite size. Even with digital I rarely shoot more than 20 shots per shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
I wish they still had 12 exposure rolls. I might even use my 135 cameras then.

Old 02-12-2017   #51
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

Because, 24 frames is awesome.

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 02-12-2017   #52
film nut

When I roll my own b/w I do a few rolls of 20 frames. When I go out with a special purpose with b/w I want to shoot the film and get it developed as soon as I can, so I don't want to get in a spot where I run out of subjects and I still have film left. So I won't waste it.

This!
Old 02-12-2017   #53
Tim Murphy

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
One nice feature I like about a 36 exposure roll is when I finally finish it, I'm usually surprised the photos I made at the beginning of the roll.
+1 for this answer Bill.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA

Old 02-12-2017   #54
Rico

I like 36 and if a roll needs to be finished right away, I test something: lens, lighting, DOF, etc.

Rico Tudor. Leica M4, IIIb, 28, 35, 50, 90, 135, 280. Contax T, RTS; Canon; Nikon; Sony; Profoto

Old 02-12-2017   #55
squirrel$$$bandit

FWIW, I only shoot 24s. One of the pleasures of bulk loading, in fact, is that I can do even fewer. I like to shoot Eggleston-style, just one or two tries at a shot and you're done. It's hard for me to get through 36!

Old 02-12-2017   #56
John Bragg

24 is great when trialling a new to me emulsion and also when someone is thoughtful enough to buy a half brick of film for me and doesn't know the difference between 24 and 36. Otherwise I always buy 36 and like the savings from the larger quantity. (Economies of scale).

Old 02-12-2017   #57
ornate_wrasse

I always buy 24 exp rolls instead of 36 exp rolls. The main reason is due to my height: I'm only 5'3" and when I carry the developed negatives to the dryer at the darkroom I use, they drag on the floor if I use a 36 exp roll. This is a no-no. When I use a 24 exp roll, I can hold one end of the film in my hand with my arm stretched above my head, and the wet, freshly developed negatives won't touch the floor when I walk over to the dryer.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M6, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, CV 75mm 2.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

Old 02-13-2017   #58
dmr
Registered Abuser

I definitely remember 12 shot rolls in the mid 2000s. I used them for quickie test rolls when getting the GIII and Mamiya fixed up and ready.

Old 02-13-2017   #59
Sid836

I prefer 24 or 12 exposure rolls for use with my half frame cameras. I get bored easily having to go through a 72 frames roll with them.

Old 02-13-2017   #60
Samuel D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spavinaw View Post
Because they are being manufactured faster than they can be used up. Simple!! Any other questions?
What is art anyway?

Old 02-13-2017   #61
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
I've bought fresh 12exp rolls as recently as 3 or so years ago. AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200 (or was it 400?) in local Müller.

Old 02-13-2017   #62
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
I always buy 24 exp rolls instead of 36 exp rolls. The main reason is due to my height: I'm only 5'3" and when I carry the developed negatives to the dryer at the darkroom I use, they drag on the floor if I use a 36 exp roll. This is a no-no. When I use a 24 exp roll, I can hold one end of the film in my hand with my arm stretched above my head, and the wet, freshly developed negatives won't touch the floor when I walk over to the dryer.
Fantastic. I would never have thought of this!

Old 02-13-2017   #63
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornate_wrasse View Post
When I use a 24 exp roll, I can hold one end of the film in my hand with my arm stretched above my head, and the wet, freshly developed negatives won't touch the floor when I walk over to the dryer.
The best answer yet!

Old 06-29-2017   #64
Olorin67

I wish the short rolls were 20 instead of 24, but that's because my favorite camera to shoot is a Argus C33. it was made when short rolls were 20 Exposures. the film counter can only be manually set when the back is open, so they made the counter gear with a couple slots in it, and there is a peg molded into the back door that fits in those slots, so you have to set the counter to either 20 or 36 in order to be able to close the back of the camera. Argus did fix this design when they came out with the later Autronic series, they got rid of the peg on the door , and made a cut out in the back door so you can rotate the counter manually to set it once the back is closed. So I only shoot 36 exposure rolls with the camera. Would be nice to be able to use 24 also, since I get 24 exp. rolls cheap at Mall Wart.
Back in the 1930's and 40s the short rolls were 18 exposures, half of a full 36 roll.

Old 06-29-2017   #65
infrequent

Why not have both? Home developers/scanners have the convenience of the 24 and us lazy folks who outsource it get more value!

Old 06-29-2017   #66
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I never understood why they changed from 20 exposures to 24. If a 20 exposure roll is good because it's shorter, then why make it longer?

Old 06-29-2017   #67
Huss

The longest roll that my Xpan shoots is 21 exposures.
From a 36 exp roll.

Old 06-29-2017   #68
ptpdprinter

I once accidentally bought some 24 exposure rolls.

Old 06-29-2017   #69
charjohncarter

I prefer 24 too, easier to hang for drying and quicker out of the camera. I hope the EPA doesn't outlaw 24 exposures.

Old 06-29-2017   #70
shimokita
白黒

and what's with the number of exposures in disposable cameras ; )

My local mom & pop camera shop told me I was their only 135 format SLR / RF customer. All other film they process is from disposable cameras.

Old 06-29-2017   #71
valdas

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I prefer 24 too, easier to hang for drying and quicker out of the camera. I hope the EPA doesn't outlaw 24 exposures.
No worries, as long as you can prove some local coal is used during the production they'll be fine...

Old 06-29-2017   #72
mpaniagua

I normally bulk load my film and most of the time I do 24 exp rolls. Reason is I used to it. 36 exp seems lots of frames and with 24 exp I tend to keep one event or shooting session on one roll. If the event or session is long enough, I use 2 24exp rolls.

When I do 36 exp, I'm usually stuck with an unfinished roll on the camera that most of the time I waste on useless photos just to finish the roll, or, if I really want to process the photos, I sometimes develop the unfinished roll. I suppose is silly but that's my experience.

Regards

Marcelo

Old 06-29-2017   #73
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I never understood why they changed from 20 exposures to 24. If a 20 exposure roll is good because it's shorter, then why make it longer?
They wanted the choice of number of exposures to match the aspect ratio - 2:3.

Old 06-29-2017   #74
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimokita View Post
and what's with the number of exposures in disposable cameras ; )

My local mom & pop camera shop told me I was their only 135 format SLR / RF customer. All other film they process is from disposable cameras.
27 wasn't it?

I don't use them as they pile up in costs when lab processing is priced equally at 24 or 36 exp, but in 2015 I did get a quicksnap marine because underwater.
Feels a bit of a waste when the things could get 40 exposures out of it instead of 27...
Maybe I'll drop one of these in my next film order. Useful for summer beach shooting

Old 06-29-2017   #75
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmr View Post
I definitely remember 12 shot rolls in the mid 2000s. I used them for quickie test rolls when getting the GIII and Mamiya fixed up and ready.
My recollection is they came out shortly after the 24 exposure rolls did. I first saw the 24 exposure rolls in late 1976. I saw and bought them while traveling through Japan from Korea to the US. When I had them processed in the USA, the lab techs went crazy, they hadn't yet seen them although I think they were already being talked about in Pop Photo and Modern Photography. I don't recall reading why 24 or 12 exposures came about.

I rather preferred the 20 exposures for a short roll. But when traveling to new places, I usually wanted a bunch of 36 exposure rolls. Less to carry and more shots before needing to change rolls.

Old 06-29-2017   #76
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Exactly.

24 exp rolls are a hold over from the old days of getting prints (double sets!) with your developed film.
I think double prints were way after the 24 exposure rolls.

Old 06-29-2017   #77
roscoetuff

There's something nice in a roll you can shoot in a day, develop in a day and see what you got. For me, 24 shots is pretty much a sweet spot. More than that can work when you're travelling, but iotherwise is less conveniently demarcated. I'm rolling 26 turns... which is a bit more, but there you are. Guess I haven't got the whole bulk loading thing iced yet. Speaking to the whole 1-1-1-1 theme (one camera, one lens, one film, one developer, etc.), I wish every film were available in bulk, but they're not... and so I'm pretty much an Ilford man by default. You could do worse. And sometimes, for tests you want only 12 shots.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer
“There’s nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.” Ansel Adams

Old 07-02-2017   #78
sara

I really don't mind 24exp.
Sometimes, I find that maybe for a short day out where I don't shoot much, 24exp works for me.

Old 07-02-2017   #79
David Murphy

Some shoot one frame of 35mm at a time. I know there is a back for the Contax rangefinder that holds a single frame of 35mm film.

Rolls with 12 exposures were once common and are useful for testing cameras.

I understand though that as film gets more expensive (which it seems to be doing now), it makes more sense to shoot 36 frames (or more) if possible - less wasted overhead that way.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com