Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 05-11-2017   #121
HHPhoto

Well, if I look at the serial number of the F6 from a friend, who bought his new one in late 2015, and the most recent one here reported on rff (serial no. 0035306), then the average production per month is in the 16-20 units range.

Big kudos to Nikon that they keep production running even on that very low volume!

But that is another reason why I can recommend every Nikon film shooter only to buy a new one now!
Because no one knows how long Nikon can keep the line running.

Cheers, Jan

Old 06-01-2017   #122
DeSassmann

Like some other members here, I came to the conclusion that one F6 is not enough

I did not want to stretch the budget that much and fetched a used one on ebay to accompany my first one from March.

Serial number is 18350. The internal storage contained film data back to November 2007. At that pint the previous owner already had shot at least 80 rolls, if the film numbering is taken as sequential. I have seen in the big serial number list that in 2008 the numbers already passed 29k units, so this would fit and I assume that this F6 is from 2005/2006.

For both cameras I also bought a MB-40 grip. A new one with serial 231123 "Made in Japan" (recent Nikon design for packaging with black/gold box) and a used one for the second F6 with serial 206915 "Made in China" (gold box with older design like the F6 box).

I have never seen before that Nikon shifts the production from China to Japan, especially not for accessories like battery grips.

Checking ebay only used MB-40 grips made in China can be found up to serial numbers of 21xxxx. Nikon usually leaves a gap between different charges of production caused by small changes or location shift, so I would guess that after the first batch of grips with serial up to potentially 219999, the new range started in Japan with 23xxxx.

But this is pure speculation unless we start to collect serial numbers of MB-40 grips, too.

--
Dennis

Old 06-01-2017   #123
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSassmann View Post

But this is pure speculation unless we start to collect serial numbers of MB-40 grips, too.

--
Dennis
Dating F3 motor drives is also difficult, shooters seem to want to know the month of the body production (which is coded inside the body) but don't seem interested in the year of the drive.
Still, my MB-40 is China 208931 bought S/H with the BL-3 door, which I did want having a few D3 batteries to share.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 06-13-2017   #124
Collin J Írthner

I have #0022409.

It was mentioned on a previous page that no 004xxx numbers have been recorded. Ming Thein reviewed the F6 in 2013 and there is a pic with camera #0004232.

Old 06-13-2017   #125
Contarama

In the article linked by Bill Pierce today, in the commentary, a Christopher May mentions the F6 being produced by two dedicated employees at Sendai.

Gee thanks fellas now you all have me looking at the F6 and how beautiful it would be on the shelf alongside my other Nikon stuff.

Old 06-14-2017   #126
F6Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
In the article linked by Bill Pierce today, in the commentary, a Christopher May mentions the F6 being produced by two dedicated employees at Sendai.

Gee thanks fellas now you all have me looking at the F6 and how beautiful it would be on the shelf alongside my other Nikon stuff.
" . . . it would be on the shelf . . ." !!! . . . on the SHELF ! ! ! OMG! Pleez, the F6 is for 'shooting' with. NOT for 'looking' at

I doubt very much if Nikon are making any profit from producing the F6, so it would be a travesty to not use (probably) the last of the great film cameras.

So pleez, 'shoot', don't 'look' at your great F6.

Old 06-14-2017   #127
Contarama

Yes sir. All working cameras I own get used at least once per month. I carry at least one camera at all times. I even use my phone camera occasionally.

Old 06-14-2017   #128
F6Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Yes sir. All working cameras I own get used at least once per month. I carry at least one camera at all times. I even use my phone camera occasionally.
I feel better now

Old 06-16-2017   #129
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSassmann View Post
Like some other members here, I came to the conclusion that one F6 is not enough

I did not want to stretch the budget that much and fetched a used one on ebay to accompany my first one from March.

Serial number is 18350. The internal storage contained film data back to November 2007. At that pint the previous owner already had shot at least 80 rolls, if the film numbering is taken as sequential. I have seen in the big serial number list that in 2008 the numbers already passed 29k units, so this would fit and I assume that this F6 is from 2005/2006.

For both cameras I also bought a MB-40 grip. A new one with serial 231123 "Made in Japan" (recent Nikon design for packaging with black/gold box) and a used one for the second F6 with serial 206915 "Made in China" (gold box with older design like the F6 box).

I have never seen before that Nikon shifts the production from China to Japan, especially not for accessories like battery grips.

Checking ebay only used MB-40 grips made in China can be found up to serial numbers of 21xxxx. Nikon usually leaves a gap between different charges of production caused by small changes or location shift, so I would guess that after the first batch of grips with serial up to potentially 219999, the new range started in Japan with 23xxxx.

--
Dennis
Welcome to the club .

And I can confirm your observations:
I bought my first brand new F6 also with a MB-40, which was "Made in China" and has a serial number 21xxxx.

My second F6, lately bought and also brand new, has a MB-40 which was "Made in Japan" and has a serial number 23xxxx.

So Nikon has transferred the MB-40 production to the Nikon Sendai factory, where all the professional Nikons including the F6 and the higher end accessoires and flashes are made.
This factory is very flexible and can produce with highest quality even very small volumes.

Old 07-09-2017   #130
chrism

I bought 00034395 new about four years ago, and having discovered on a recent trip with two OM-2ns how nice it is to have one body with colour film, and another with B&W and with 28mm and 85mm lenses that can be swapped back and forth, I've just acquired #00020744 so I can do the same with a pair of F6s.

C.

Old 08-08-2017   #131
taka

No. 0035362 in possession!

Old 08-15-2017   #132
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by taka View Post
Congrats!!
This is indeed the latest / highest serial number reported so far.
May I ask when and where you have bought it? At which price? Have you also bought the MB-40 vertical / battery grip?

Cheers, Jan

Old 08-15-2017   #133
taka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Congrats!!
This is indeed the latest / highest serial number reported so far.
May I ask when and where you have bought it? At which price? Have you also bought the MB-40 vertical / battery grip?

Cheers, Jan

Order placed June 2nd, B&H photo, NYC, after seeing "more on the way"on their website for over 6 months. Was told there would be no eta; could be weeks to months. Decided to wait it out. Nikon USA had zero in stock despite their web site allowing the F6 to be placed in cart. Received shipping notification from B&H July 30th. In hand on the 31st! No MB-40 yet. Wanted to first take test roll and make sure all is functioning properly! $2,449.00 + $211.23 NY tax.

Cheers!

Old 08-16-2017   #134
HHPhoto

Quote:
Order placed June 2nd, B&H photo, NYC, after seeing "more on the way"on their website for over 6 months. Was told there would be no eta; could be weeks to months. Decided to wait it out. Nikon USA had zero in stock despite their web site allowing the F6 to be placed in cart. Received shipping notification from B&H July 30th. In hand on the 31st! No MB-40 yet. Wanted to first take test roll and make sure all is functioning properly! $2,449.00 + $211.23 NY tax.

Cheers!
Thanks!

Looks very similar to the situation here in Europe: Here most retailers don't have the F6 in permanent stock and just transfer the order directly to Nikon.
So you place an order, then the order is sent to Nikon Japan by your retailer, the camera is made on order for you and then shipped to you via your retailer.

Cheers, Jan

Old 08-16-2017   #135
frank-grumman

For those of you all who might be interested in an F6, there is this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504322

and this

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...on,F6#14129912

Based on their FM feedback, they look worth talking to

HTH

Old 09-14-2017   #136
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Mine just arrived and is about 20 numbers higher than that. So they're not making them in huge quantities.

Did yours come with a Nikon USA sticker?

All my previous Nikons had that sticker, but my F6 did not. Was wondering if Nikon is no longer putting those on the cameras.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 09-15-2017   #137
F6Roger

Thought I'd posted, but on checking . . . ho hum, better late than never So my F6 s/no is # 0006653, bought new.

Old 09-15-2017   #138
jonmanjiro

Spotted these two at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku (Tokyo) earlier tonight. Recently received brand new on the shelf stock.

Old 09-29-2017   #139
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post

All my previous Nikons had that sticker, but my F6 did not. Was wondering if Nikon is no longer putting those on the cameras.

Best,
-Tim
As a follow up. I came across another F6 and when you flip the little back door open, it has the sticker I referenced above on the inside:

Both cameras pictured were purchased in 2012. Does Nikon still put these USA stickers on the cameras intended for the US market? Anyone who has bought a USA warranted Nikon F6 new in the last two years, did your camera come with one of these stickers on the inside of the little back door? Previously, NIKON USA wouldn't service any camera that didn't have one of these stickers. I'm trying to find out is that is still the case. When I talked to NIKON, they were very vague about it.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-02-2017   #140
Timmyjoe

Talked to a number of different sources and found out that Nikon no longer puts those stickers on USA cameras, and they no longer have the Yellow Faced warranty card for USA products. Now the cameras come without the stickers and with a plain white faced warranty card.

So there you go.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-04-2017   #141
taka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Mine just arrived and is about 20 numbers higher than that. So they're not making them in huge quantities.

Did yours come with a Nikon USA sticker?

Best,
-Tim

Hi Tim!

My new F6 did not come with the yellow Nikon USA sticker anywhere on the body nor in the flipped back door. Despite the serial number on the box matching the camera, matching the warranty card, I made some inquiries because I sure wanted that yellow sticker! Has been with me through so many Nikon F bodies! Confirmed what you since found out; Nikon no longer puts them on USA cameras.

Congrats on your new F6!

cheers,
gary

Old 10-28-2017   #142
Timmyjoe

Congrats to you too Gary.

Was pretty concerned about the lack of a sticker, especially when I know folks who had their non-USA equipment turned down for service by Nikon here in the States.

Glad we should be okay if someday they need service.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

F6
Old 11-04-2017   #143
Dinosaur

F6

OK, here's mine 0024614.

Cheers.

Old 11-09-2017   #144
Skiff

On another forum a F6 owner posted the serial number of his just bought brand new F6: 0035454.

Old 03-22-2018   #145
jensthoes

I bought my F6 on 9th of Mars 2018 brand new at my local dealer in Germany.

He received it within a week from Nikon Europe in Holland.

The serial number is 0035567.

Best,

Jens

Old 06-13-2018   #146
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensthoes View Post

Best,

Jens

Congrats, Jens!
You won't be disappointed. The F6 is an outstanding tool.
May I ask which was your local dealer?

Cheers, Jan

Old 06-17-2018   #147
jensthoes

Hello Jan,

the dealer is Foto Gressung here in my hometown Saarbruecken.

Best,

Jens

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-21-2018   #148
HHPhoto

Quote:
Hello Jan,

the dealer is Foto Gressung here in my hometown Saarbruecken.

Best,

Jens

Thanks Jens!

In the last two weeks I've read from two reliable sources (one in Japan, the other in the UK) that Nikon is continuing the F6 production. Like in the last years orders for F6s from all over the world are collected, and the F6 is produced in very small batches. One source said Nikon has enough parts to make another 2,000 F6s in the coming years.
Let's hope the best .

Cheers, Jan

Old 06-29-2018   #149
TomK

Just picked up an F6 two weeks ago from Adorama, serial number 0035534. They were out of stock for about a month prior to my purchase so I guess they're making about 50 to 100 cameras a month?

Old 07-04-2018   #150
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Just picked up an F6 two weeks ago from Adorama, serial number 0035534. They were out of stock for about a month prior to my purchase so I guess they're making about 50 to 100 cameras a month?

No, unfortunately that is most likely a too high number. If we go back here on track and to what was reported on other sources, it seems to be about 200 - 250 units a year.

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: Congratulations to your brand new F6! Best 35mm film SLR ever :-) .

Old 07-23-2018   #151
thekurgan

I found this post late in the game, but my F6 was just sent to Japan for the firmware update, as it was bought in Japan. Its serial number is 0004215. The camera is old, but looks brand new, these hold up really, really well!

FWIW, the F6 logo is now gone.

Old 08-26-2018   #152
Laterna Magica

Quote:

Best,

Jens
I've bought my second new one just some days later, also from Nikon Europe . Serial number is 003557x.
My first one I've bought ten years ago, with serial number of 003142x.
I have been so much satiesfied with the F6, that I've added this another brand new one this spring (also with MB-40 vertical grip).
In my experience with more than 800 rolls of film shot with the F6 it is by far the best 35mm SLR ever built.

Old 08-26-2018   #153
C Jensen

New to me 0002661. I think I like the F4 more. I use a lot of AI(S) lenses.

Old 08-26-2018   #154
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jensen View Post
New to me 0002661. I think I like the F4 more. I use a lot of AI(S) lenses.
Give yourself time to fully explore the outstanding capabilities of the F6. It has much, much more to offer than the F4 ( I have both).
AI and AI-S lenses have full functionality on the F6, including matrix metering. And the F6 matrix metering is significantly improved compared to the F4.

Cheers, Jan

Old 09-05-2018   #155
C Jensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Give yourself time to fully explore the outstanding capabilities of the F6. It has much, much more to offer than the F4 ( I have both).

Cheers, Jan
I understand the more better concept. In 2015 I had some minor brain damage from some blood clots. Reading a book no longer happens and going to the menu to change lenses in my Df is a step that gets in the way, same in the F6. The F4 is seamless in that requard and behaves more like my F1, 2 and 3. The metering in the F4 is plenty good for me. I do not care for 1. choosing an f stop on a wheel vs lens, 2. Choosing the mode in a menu vs a wheel, 3.choosing ASA on a menu vs a dial, 4. choosing shutter speed on a menu vs a dial, 5. exp comp with a dial all at a glance. I may regulate my F6 to slide film with my few VR lenses. Don't misunderstand me the F6 is a fine camera, I would have been happier with an F4.1 with VR.
Carl

Old 09-05-2018   #156
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterna Magica View Post
I've bought my second new one just some days later, also from Nikon Europe . Serial number is 003557x.
My first one I've bought ten years ago, with serial number of 003142x.
I have been so much satiesfied with the F6, that I've added this another brand new one this spring (also with MB-40 vertical grip).
In my experience with more than 800 rolls of film shot with the F6 it is by far the best 35mm SLR ever built.
Now ^^^THIS ^^^ is impressive, not just a dedicated shooter, but a true Nikonista with the F6. Two (2) of them.

If only I could be so lucky!

Dave

Old 09-07-2018   #157
Laterna Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Now ^^^THIS ^^^ is impressive, not just a dedicated shooter, but a true Nimonista with the F6. Two (2) of them.

Thanks Dave .
Honestly, it was a very rational decision. Because my first F6 has been working perfectly over all these years.
And as I am often shooting different film types at the same shooting (e.g. reversal film and negative film or color film and BW film) having two identical bodies with perfect ergonomics is the optimal solution.
I am extremely satiesfied with my decision!

And you can also be so lucky: Just take some time and save some money over the time. It is not that hard. I am no high income person at all. The F6 is not so expensive that having two of them is impossible.
Two brand new F6 with MB-40 are even cheaper than one Nikon D5, one Canon 1Dx Mk.II, or one of the Fuji or Hasselblad medium format DSLMs. And the F6 will serve you much much longer than any of the digital cams.

Old 09-07-2018   #158
dave lackey

Quote:
Now ^^^THIS ^^^ is impressive, not just a dedicated shooter, but a true Nikonista with the F6. Two (2) of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterna Magica View Post
Thanks Dave .
Honestly, it was a very rational decision. Because my first F6 has been working perfectly over all these years.
And as I am often shooting different film types at the same shooting (e.g. reversal film and negative film or color film and BW film) having two identical bodies with perfect ergonomics is the optimal solution.
I am extremely satiesfied with my decision!

And you can also be so lucky: Just take some time and save some money over the time. It is not that hard. I am no high income person at all. The F6 is not so expensive that having two of them is impossible.
Two brand new F6 with MB-40 are even cheaper than one Nikon D5, one Canon 1Dx Mk.II, or one of the Fuji or Hasselblad medium format DSLMs. And the F6 will serve you much much longer than any of the digital cams.
Hey, thanks!!! You are inspiring!

I really can't add to what you have said, but I hope to eventually get that second F6 one day...there is nothing as good or better for me.

Dave

Old 09-09-2018   #159
Laterna Magica

Quote:
Hey, thanks!!! You are inspiring!

I really can't add to what you have said, but I hope to eventually get that second F6 one day...there is nothing as good or better for me.
Thanks Dave.

There is one further recommendation I can give: Add the MB-40 vertical grip (battery grip) to the F6. With the MB-40 it is the perfect camera.
With MB-40 you will benefit from
- optimal ergonomics
- perfect handling in situations you shoot in vertical frame orientation (e.g. portraits)
- using rechargeable batteries: either the original ones from Nikon, or just regular AA type rechargeable batteries
- with standard Panasonic Eneloop AA rechargeables I get 35 - 55 films (!) just from one charge; with these cells power comsumption costs over the years get to zero
- with MB-40 you also get full 8fps.

F6 and MB-40 is the perfect combination.

Old 09-10-2018   #160
chrism

I guess we're not supposed to put mere possessions on a pedestal, but sometimes it's hard to resist. A 10x8 paper negative of my F6s: