Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Old 09-08-2017   #81
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
like it or not, the hustle we speak of is a significant part of 'true photography'. as the market changes for photojournalism/documentary work, man of us who produce the work you see in magazines, on the wire, in galleries etc, must find other ways of getting work out there. when i come across someone like Eric, i don't default to categorization. i become instantly curious and look for hints and/or ideas on how to keep going.

so yes, this is an interesting topic for many of us. folks who depend on the camera and photographs to eat, pay the mortgage/rent and so forth. 'true photographers' if you will.
My point is, a thread ripping on a fellow photographer gets more reply activity than most threads more directly related to photography gear, technique and images shared ;-)

As I posted early on, haters hate the hustle. Personally, I enjoy his work and contributions to the photography community. I recently bought his handbook 'Street Notes' to help me further learn and grow my Street Photography.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 09-08-2017   #82
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
My point is, a thread ripping on a fellow photographer gets more reply activity than most threads more directly related to photography gear, technique and images shared ;-)

As I posted early on, haters hate the hustle. Personally, I enjoy his work and contributions to the photography community. I recently bought his handbook 'Street Notes' to help me further learn and grow my Street Photography.
Haters do hate the hustle. Everyone hustles though... often more than they actually photograph.

Old 09-08-2017   #83
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

I think I'm only the second person here who actually took a workshop with him and actually know him.
I did a 5 day workshop with him in Paris and it was very good. Learned a lot and practised a lot.
A few weeks later he was in Amsterdam for a workshop and I helped him out there a bit.
He is a very nice guy.
He never claimed he is a good street photographer or want to be the best, but he tries to be the best street photography teacher.
He does know a lot, studied a lot and his program and exercises are very well thought out. He is also very open to constructive criticism on his own behaviour.
He is open on how he operates and what drives him, very transparent.
He can live from teaching street photography workshops, good for him.

so yes, all the criticism is very likely envy.

Old 09-08-2017   #84
edge100
-

Quote:
So here's a question/disconnect for me...

It seems that the popular posit in is to dislike Eric Kim with varying degrees of intensity. Now I haven't met him in person nor have I taken a workshop but personally he seems like a pretty damn good photographer AND as far as the 'hustle' goes he is knocking it out of the park. By 'hustle' I mean all the things one must do to make a living producing photographs... self promotion, sales, revenue generation and so forth.

So what's the deal? He puts out good photographs as far as I can see (although I am not a big fan of 'street' photography) and his writing/articles/self promotion is usually sound.

Why the hate?
I have met Eric in person (had coffee with him in SF a few years ago). He's a nice, if somewhat overly-earnest guy. I'm not a fan of his photography, but there is no question that he has a very keen grasp of marketing.

Old 09-08-2017   #85
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Eric is very honest about who he is and about his work.

At least he doesn't participate in "Photoville"....yet, as far as I know. I have an intense dislike for "Photoville", which to me is all about making photography fashionable.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 09-08-2017   #86
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Eric is very honest about who he is and about his work.

At least he doesn't participate in "Photoville"....yet, as far as I know. I have an intense dislike for "Photoville", which to me is all about making photography fashionable.
I hadn't heard of Photoville until your post. Seems harmless, what is there to be against an event to network and share photography?

Quote:
PHOTOVILLE is New York City’s FREE premier photo destination. Produced by United Photo Industries, the annual festival is a modular venue built from re-purposed shipping containers. By creating a physical platform for photographers of all stripes to come together and interact, Photoville provides a unique opportunity to engage with a diverse audience — a veritable cross-section of the world’s photographic community.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 09-08-2017   #87
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I hadn't heard of Photoville until your post. Seems harmless, what is there to be against an event to network and share photography?
I've heard of it and am interested, but never was going on when I've been scheduled to be in the city.

Old 09-08-2017   #88
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
I was reading about and thinking of planning short NY trip to get where. It seems to be very democratic photo event.

Old 09-08-2017   #89
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I was reading about and thinking of planning short NY trip to get where. It seems to be very democratic photo event.
I'll bet there wouldn't such an uproar about this guy if his subjects of interest were flowers or cats rather than "street" photos? I think the street photo thing has a built in anger element, when it is discussed.

Old 09-08-2017   #90
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
All criticism = envy.
Really? All criticism?

Old 09-08-2017   #91
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
I'll bet there wouldn't such an uproar about this guy if his subject of interest was flowers or cats rather than "street" photos? I think the street photo thing has a built in anger element, when it is discussed.
I have to agree with that although I can`t think why that is so,

The first photograph I took was a street photograph
It was in 1963 / Belgium and I`ve been taking them on and off since ... including tonight.

Old 09-08-2017   #92
x-ray

I have to say I never herd of this guy much less looked at his images or read his writing. I just took a look at a bunch of his work but not read any of his words yet.

This is very subjective, from looking at a couple hundred images I think he needs to do a better job of culling his images. There are some very nice images but at lest 90% should be trashed. To me it appears he shoots anything and everything that he sees but just can't bring himself to toss the majority. It might be in part that he's a bit impressed with himself.

Whether I or you like his work or not, he's out there doing it and trying to grow and promote his work. Something many of you might not understand, this is an important part of getting your work out there. Everyone has their own style where some of us are more subtle in out approach to customers and others hit you in the face.

I was a part of the Professional Photographers of America in the 70's through the 80's. I always was a commercial photographer with the exception of 4-1/2 years as a PJ in the 60's into the early 70's. I never did weddings other than a handful I was forced to do. In th professional world there were two big name wedding guys that stand out in memory. One was Monte Zucker who shot thousands of weddings, wrote books, did videos, taught seminars and lectured to professional organizations. I can't say I liked his work particularly but others did and made him a multi millionaire. He was always out promoting his work image and in our face about it.

The second was a guy named Bill Stockwell. Bill was another wedding and portrait guy that BIGTIME BLEW a major wedding. This was in the early days of C-41 film when there was no under exposure latitude. Anyway Bill loaded 100 speed Vericolor in his Hasselblad backs thinking it was 400. The popular style at that time was a little flash fill and drag the shutter for available light in the background. Well if you ever shot any of that early film at 2 stops under you have a good idea of what his images looked like. There were faint images but everything was a milky muddy blue mess.

I guess Bill was a conman deep down. He had to salvage his mistake so as not to get drug into court. What Bill did was coin a term that made him extremely rich. He called the images "Misty's". He said they were a view through the misty eyes of the bride. Bill made millions shooting "misty's" and taught seminars, made videos and wrote books on how to do it. Amazing I know but that's 90% of being a good business man sometimes. It saved his butt and made him rich. Amazing!

Here's a quote from the NY Times about him "Mr. Stockwell, who calls himself ''the Misty Messiah'' in selfsalute to ... after 40 years as a photographer and 3,800 weddings".

Kim is no different than these guys.

Old 09-08-2017   #93
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post

The second was a guy named Bill Stockwell. Bill was another wedding and portrait guy that BIGTIME BLEW a major wedding. This was in the early days of C-41 film when there was no under exposure latitude. Anyway Bill loaded 100 speed Vericolor in his Hasselblad backs thinking it was 400. The popular style at that time was a little flash fill and drag the shutter for available light in the background. Well if you ever shot any of that early film at 2 stops under you have a good idea of what his images looked like. There were faint images but everything was a milky muddy blue mess.

I guess Bill was a conman deep down. He had to salvage his mistake so as not to get drug into court. What Bill did was coin a term that made him extremely rich. He called the images "Misty's". He said they were a view through the misty eyes of the bride. Bill made millions shooting "misty's" and taught seminars, made videos and wrote books on how to do it. Amazing I know but that's 90% of being a good business man sometimes. It saved his butt and made him rich. Amazing!

Here's a quote from the NY Times about him "Mr. Stockwell, who calls himself ''the Misty Messiah'' in selfsalute to ... after 40 years as a photographer and 3,800 weddings".
Great story! Thanks.

Old 09-08-2017   #94
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
All criticism = envy.

Solid argument there.
This is a ridiculous comment. Go and read Hazlitt's 'On Criticism' and have a think about it.

Old 09-08-2017   #95
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
I find it interesting that threads like this tend to get more activity that true photo/photography threads.
It won't last. In a few days it'll slip off the front page. The good image/gear threads keep trucking year in year out. Check out the "Let's see your Leica M", over 1,000,000 views. The 35 pre-asph summilux thread keeps trucking too, and have you seen the Photo Association thread! Talk about a long image thread!

Old 09-08-2017   #96
Lucas.f/8

I think he is extremely interesting. He is committed to making all his content open sourced. He seems to be making himself rich in the process. Who knows? Maybe one day he will convert all his haters into admirers. I don't think he is very interesting in terms of philosophy nor do i like his pictures. I am, however, rooting for his "artists journey" wholeheartedly. Rorschach test. I like him.

Old 09-08-2017   #97
michaelwj
----------------

He has also said that if you don't have haters then you aren't doing anything worthwhile. As in only mediocre is universally not hated, but anything good has lovers and haters, but not many in the middle. So I guess this thread proves he is not mediocre?

Old 09-08-2017   #98
aizan

the kardashians have lots of haters...and i'm not sure they're doing anything worthwhile.

Old 09-08-2017   #99
valdas

I have never thought of EK as a photographer, I knew him as a yourtuber who posts some reviews (I found them a bit funny, but not necessarily interesting). But after reading this thread I did some reading of what EK writes and I have to say that I kind of start to like him. "Learn from Masters" section on his website is quite interesting, some of his photography business thoughts/approaches are also very good (e.g. Do it for free or be expensive). We can have opinions about him as a photographer - I found his photos quite good/interesting, but not in the same league as street photogtaphy masters. But he seems to be a good teacher and also a good businessman with the right ethics.

Old 09-09-2017   #100
LukasB

I've only been pursuing Photography for about 5 Years now, but the Eric Kim-hate has been going on for as long as I've been interested.

I find him to have quite an abrasive Personality, but often People who are driven and have a good attitude are resented by People with the opposite. I like his Photography a lot. It's not groundbreaking, but it doesn't have to be. I don't mind him.

+1 for being a young, Film-only Photographer, too.

Old 09-09-2017   #101
MikeAUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
well at least he doesn't take pics over and over again of a fire hydrant, a bush in his back yard, his wife standing there and a buddy pounding a beer and claims it is a real world review of the best gear ever...
Go easy, he's too busy talking with the dead and "paranormal investigations" so doesn't have time to take proper shots

Yes Eric is preferable any day to the Huff and Puff ...
I met Eric by chance on the street whilst I was out taking shots one day here in Melbourne. Was a super friendly and down to earth guy ...

Old 09-09-2017   #102
Lss

Quote:
Why the hate?
I assume there are very few people who hate Eric Kim at all.

I can surely think of a Kim who has many more haters. And that guy's first 10 photos, the rumour has it, were infinitely better than anyone else's first 10 000 photos. Then he gave up photography.

Old 09-09-2017   #103
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
This is a ridiculous comment. Go and read Hazlitt's 'On Criticism' and have a think about it.
I took his comment to be sarcasm. But I guess he can clarify.

Old 09-09-2017   #104
JChrome
Street Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdas View Post
I have never thought of EK as a photographer, I knew him as a yourtuber who posts some reviews (I found them a bit funny, but not necessarily interesting). But after reading this thread I did some reading of what EK writes and I have to say that I kind of start to like him. "Learn from Masters" section on his website is quite interesting, some of his photography business thoughts/approaches are also very good (e.g. Do it for free or be expensive). We can have opinions about him as a photographer - I found his photos quite good/interesting, but not in the same league as street photogtaphy masters. But he seems to be a good teacher and also a good businessman with the right ethics.
+1. Making Youtube videos about photography is not photography. Posting on your blog is not photography. It does speak to the evolving definition of what makes a "photographer". But I think the article about him making $200K per year as a photographer is incorrect. He's making 200K per year as an educator.

Old 09-09-2017   #105
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasB View Post
...+1 for being a young, Film-only Photographer, too.
I think right now he's a smart phone/Ricoh GR photographer, not film. He hasn't shot film in a few years; the last time he did, according to his blog, he saved up dozens of rolls from overseas trips and only had them processed at Costco, in Garden Grove, CA, after he returned. Which, to me, isn't a smart way to shoot film, since there's no immediate feedback, no quick data turn-around on ways to improve one's technique with a particular camera.

Since he and his wife have been living in Vietnam the last year (while she's been working on her doctorate) he left his Leica back in the USA. So it's digital only with EK. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Cheers,

Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 09-09-2017   #106
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
I'll bet there wouldn't such an uproar about this guy if his subjects of interest were flowers or cats rather than "street" photos? I think the street photo thing has a built in anger element, when it is discussed.
"I think" is the key. Street photography as any photography is taken with specific interest of taker and interpreted with "I think" of the viewer.

I see zero anger element in street photography by HCB, GW, Fred Herzog, George Zimbel and so on.

But where are some people who are always anger about street photography. I think, it is because they are cheaters in real life.

Old 09-09-2017   #107
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I miss Kai and Lok from digitalrev.

I couldn't care less about camera reviews, but I do like to be entertained.
+1

As for Eric Kim, I don't think he comes across as "dude" person in the videos. I would go for a drink with Kai Wang in an instant, actually, I have met him once and he is very nice, very friendly, witty and professional. But I don't know if I'd like to spend time with Eric Kim. That's what I mean.

Perhaps more people feel like that...
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 09-10-2017   #108
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
Perhaps, envy?
There are two kinds of photographers: (1.) Those who decide what they want, set their goals and work their asses off, refusing to quit till their goals are realized, and (2.) the self-entitled who think their goals should be handed to them.

Eric Kim is a type 1 photographer. The type 2 photographers resent him and his success.

Ernst Haas: "There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are."

Old 09-10-2017   #109
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
There are two kinds of photographers: (1.) Those who decide what they want, set their goals and work their asses off, refusing to quit till their goals are realized, and (2.) the self-entitled who think their goals should be handed to them. Eric Kim is a type 1 photographer. The type 2 photographers resent him and his success.
You have described the two ends of the bell curve, not the bell curve itself. It is a logical fallacy know as black and white thinking. Either way, your statement is false. There are many different kinds of photographers with a wide variety of goals, motivations and work ethics. I also suspect there are a lot of your so-called type 2 photographers who don't care one way or the other about Eric Kim. You also have to ask whether Eric Kim's goal is photography or notoriety and money, or some combination of the two.