Will the L mount alliance hurt the sales of the Leica SL?
Old 09-26-2018   #1
Huss

Now that Sigma and Panasonic are making super specced L mount FF cameras, how will that effect the Leica SL and upcoming SL-2?
The draw to use the Leica product for the native L mount lenses now has severely diminished. I'm thinking the new SL will be a rebranded Panasonic Lumix, which may actually make the original one a 'classic'.

Hmm.

Old 09-26-2018   #2
BillBlackwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Not if it's a discontinued product. The SL-2 (assuming that becomes a reality) will have the Leica nameplate and be different enough (minimally though firmware) to justify the price difference to the consumer.

Old 09-26-2018   #3
jsrockit

I think it helps Leica... more lenses is always a good thing.

Old 09-26-2018   #4
rfaspen

Probably won't hurt sales. Not so sure if it will help sales though.

I for one am a little curious about this development (L mount stuff). I have resisted the idea of investing or investigating beyond M/LTM and Nikon F lens mounts. Those comprise the bulk of my photographic system. Sure, I have a smattering of lenses and cameras of various other mounts, but they represent dabbling and messing about.

However, this L mount thing might provide a flexibility (platform, price point, format) that draws me in. If that were to happen, I would likely divest of Nikon. But, this is all just a thought exercise for now.... Clearly.

Old 09-26-2018   #5
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Huss,

For me, a current CL and SL owner, this alliance cements and strenthens the idea that for mirrorless the future is heavily weighted towards "L" mount cameras.

The likelihood I will buy a SL2 is rather high.

I will also mention that I mount M, R, LTM, and visoflex lenses as well as Nikon SLR glass like the Noct-Nikkor. For holders of legacy glass the "L" mount has "legs."

I can see subversively how this adaptability might become a dominant consideration for some. Pretty much it is utilizing glass I already own.

BTW my 28 Cron on a CL is a 43mm/F2.0. Smaller than a M-body and kinda like an original CL. I also have a black Canon 28/3.5 that is nearly a pancake lens for an ultrasmall rig. Now if I can only get the CL back fom my girlfriend...

The idea here is that the "L" mount is the most highly adaptable mount. I see this as a good thing.

Cal

Old 09-26-2018   #6
Huss

My interest is based on the fact that I have a lot of Leica M and LTM lenses.
If the Lumix works as well with them as the SL, then I would pick it over the SL2 (?) on the assumption it will be a lot cheaper.
If it's only a couple o hundred bones difference, then I could be swayed by Leica.

Old 09-26-2018   #7
benlees

I think Leica will sell more lenses as their reputation as a maker of top notch optics is intact. I don't think they will sell more bodies than they are now. If someone wants a Leica, they want a Leica. If someone just wants a full frame mirrorless then they want the best deal for all those bells and whistles. History tells us this won't be Leica. And the easiest/ cheapest way to use what ever legacy lenses they may have.

Old 09-26-2018   #8
Archlich

Will hurt if the upcoming Panasonic S1 (the 24MP one) and the future SL2 have too many similarities...

Seriously the SL lenses are so expensive that they are not very viable options for a mainstream buyer (whose budget is not unlimited) looking for a "premium" lens within the system. They are like double the prices of the Sony Zeiss/ Zeiss Batis FE lenses - and who can be confident that a Leica is twice as better as a genuine Zeiss?

Old 09-26-2018   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
My interest is based on the fact that I have a lot of Leica M and LTM lenses.
If the Lumix works as well with them as the SL, then I would pick it over the SL2 (?) on the assumption it will be a lot cheaper.
If it's only a couple o hundred bones difference, then I could be swayed by Leica.
Huss,

People that have lots of glass are a market.

I'll tell you that Leitax makes this "Almost Auto Aperature" F-Mount for "R" glass. There is a lever that opens the iris fully, this allows a full/strong focus snap. Along with the zoom in magnifier nailing focus is easy and accurate. I just release the lever and the lens stops down to my setting. I use this on my 50 Lux-R "E60." This lens renders like a Noctilux, but is only F1.4. Really smooth with the perfect blend of sharp and softness.

Panasonic is already promoting a pretty great camera. I'm betting that Leica might have some surprises. Why is Leica being so quiet about the SL2? Hmmm.

Image stabilization will take things further. More megapixels becomes useful with IS.

Pricing??? That's a good question. Why is Leica making all these primes APO?

Cal

Old 09-26-2018   #10
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Will hurt if the upcoming Panasonic S1 (the 24MP one) and the future SL2 have too many similarities...

Seriously the SL lenses are so expensive that they are not very viable options for a mainstream buyer (whose budget is not unlimited) looking for a "premium" lens within the system. They are like double the prices of the Sony Zeiss/ Zeiss Batis FE lenses - and who can be confident that a Leica is twice as better as a genuine Zeiss?
Archlich,

They are expensive. I'll likely limit my lens selection to my 50 Lux-SL and one future wide. The APO 35 Cron will be released early next year. The APO 28 Cron in 2020. Don't forget the logjam when released. I'm already starting to save the money.

I will keep my SL. It is still a great camera for me. Two lenses and two FF "L" mounts and I can be happy. All I need is a wide and a normal. I can do a lot with just these two rigged cameras.

Cal