Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Flickr makes my shots unsharp!
Old 04-04-2019   #1
Erik van Straten

Flickr makes my shots unsharp!

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask if anybody suffers like me from unsharpness of their pictures caused buh Flickr. Watch this:

On my screen this is horrible unsharp:

Also my earlier pictures on Flicker that were originally sharp, are now unsharp.

I don't like this at all!

What is going on? Can anybody help?

Erik.

Old 04-04-2019   #2
brbo

Mine seem sharp to me and I haven't noticed any change in sharpness lately:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7482/2...4c3f5b6e_c.jpg

What size do you upload to flickr? I use flickr as a last resort backup so I upload fairly large (mostly 4000px on the longer side).

Old 04-04-2019   #3
CharlesDAMorgan

No idea what's going on, but I thought Flickr was the one place where this sort of thing didn't go on.

That's terribly unsharp.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 04-04-2019   #4
Brian Legge

Its an 800x583 image. I have a hard time discerning sharp from not at that resolution with any image.

Old 04-04-2019   #5
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask if anybody suffers like me from unsharpness of their pictures caused buh Flickr. Watch this:

Also my earlier pictures on Flicker that were originally sharp, are now unsharp.

Erik.
My Flickr pictures all seem to have their normal level of 'sharp'...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 04-05-2019   #6
michaelphoto

Perhaps you have done som +/- resizing. To go back to standard by pushing Control+0. That is the number 0, not the letter.
It worked for me.

Old 04-05-2019   #7
pauld111

Do you think that it might be the browser that you are using might be playing tricks on you and that if you tried viewing in another browser it will be 'normal' again?

Old 04-05-2019   #8
joe bosak

Pretty sure i get this from time to time. I thought maybe it was my old ipad causing the problem (recent photos i uploaded look blurred on it today, and i know the originals weren't). Could they be optimising for viewing device or internet connection?

I finally got an email response from them on getting adverts despite paying for pro status. I could paraphrase it as: "We have been busy doing things with computers. If you still have a problem, go search our help, get back to us if you can't find a solution". Huh - did you even read my email? I wouldn't care if they hadn't claimed to get back to pro users within a day or some such, this was nearly 6 weeks later.

Old 04-05-2019   #9
Erik van Straten

I did not try another browser. When I zoom in on the picture, I can see the grain of the film, so I guess the problem is not the browser (Firefox). It is just the plain image that is unsharp. Very annoying.

There is a lot of complaining on Flickr itself these days about bad performance.

They also aren't visible anymore on RFf, only this link is shown:https://live.staticflickr.com/7915/3...0a51af89_c.jpg

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

It was like this for sometime. Before Flickr was sold.
If image isn't large, but doesn't fit, I click on it and it is not sharp.
Large images shows more details, but I don't think they are sharp.
Maybe it is my eyes.

Also, it looks like they outsourced support at same time of useless, if not bad changes some years ago. Maybe they moved to new level now. Similar to ebay, which is run mostly without human now. Just some word recognition algorithms tossing users around, but not solving problems.

Old 04-05-2019   #11
willie_901

This is not a surprise.

Sharpness is not their first priority because the more an image is compressed, the less money they spend on server costs.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 04-05-2019   #12
Erik van Straten

I hate it if it stays like this! So happy that I still have a free account!

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #13
Austintatious

Quote:
Do you think that it might be the browser that you are using
This
I can no longer even log in to my flickr account due to not using an "updated" browser for the best experience. I have to use my newer computer to see it. My other is so old it can not be updated any more.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 04-05-2019   #14
brbo

Quote:
They also aren't visible anymore on RFf, only this link is shown:https://live.staticflickr.com/7915/3...0a51af89_c.jpg
That's probably a RFF problem.

Edit: Some RFF subforums obviously do not support embedding pictures.

Old 04-05-2019   #15
charjohncarter

Erik, I agree with you, especially the something is wrong with my older images.

Old 04-05-2019   #16
olifaunt

Quote:

Erik.
The picture at that link is very small-sized. 800x583. On my old desktop monitor HD with visible pixels, not even 4K) it displays as a smallish picture (about 4x6 inches) and the screen pixels seem larger than the detail in the image. Flickr would have to interpolate (i.e., pull in-between pixels out of thin air) to upsize it to fit the much larger pixel dimensions of your iPad (if it is a newer one) and that would naturally introduce a lot of fuzziness. Did you upload it as 800x583?

Old 04-05-2019   #17
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by olifaunt View Post
Did you upload it as 800x583?

Yes, 587 x 800, but I do it like this for many years. I've never had this problem. Not only the pictures that are uploaded to RFf are unsharp, but also in Flickr itself. I load up into Flickr @ 5490 x 3949.

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #18
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
Its an 800x583 image. I have a hard time discerning sharp from not at that resolution with any image.
I have posted many photographs on flickr at this size or smaller.

In answer to the OP’s question, yes, I have been noticing a lack of sharpness on some images recently, and yes, what Brian says is a factor more now than before. It seems like flickr, and I guess a lot of other sites, are trying to adjust for different devices — computer monitors, phones, tablets — and there is some kinds of resizing happening.

Yesterday, I was going through some ten year old flickr images to repost on Throwback Thursday on Instagram, and they didn’t look as sharp to me as they used to. Maybe because of the resolution of my iPad Pro, maybe because the ones shot at 1/15 sec were never as sharp as I thought they were, and maybe because my eyesight has deteriorated over those ten years.

Old 04-05-2019   #19
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

This is not news for Flickr. I had the same problem back in 2012-2013 with Flickr. That is why I started back then to upload my pics on blogger and post the link from there when I was posting pictures on RFF.
At some point they corrected it and I don't have this problem now. I would imagine that one of the next software updates will sort this out again.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 04-05-2019   #20
Highway 61
Revisited

I just checked this out on my own flickr account. I hadn't logged in for a long while because I'm done with 1,000 photos uploaded so far and I won't pay for their PRO account.

First, no problem to log in (Firefox ESR 52.9.0).

Second, nothing has changed for me when I look at my own photos through my connexion to my flickr account or when I copy the url of the photo (from the BBCode line) then paste it in the same browser url window.

They look the same in both cases and they still look exactly like how they used to at the time I had uploaded them.

Example :

https://live.staticflickr.com/829/42...3786f231_b.jpg

I always upload my photos as light 800x600 pixels files (plus a few pixels in width and length for the white frame out of the "HCB like" black border) weighting just less than 300KB.

So, I guess they don't get re-sized by their new software at this point.

This new unsharp problem some of you are now experiencing might be caused by the original photos dimensions (number of pixels in width and length) and by the data weight of the file once tasked by some new darn filter of some sort they might have set up.

If they have now limited the free accounts to that arbitrary level of "1,000 photos", it might not mean that they don't mind the data weight.

Old 04-05-2019   #21
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Mine seem sharp to me and I haven't noticed any change in sharpness lately:

https://live.staticflickr.com/7482/2...4c3f5b6e_c.jpg

What size do you upload to flickr? I use flickr as a last resort backup so I upload fairly large (mostly 4000px on the longer side).
When I posted this earlier, the image was sharp. Now it isn't. There's something going on at flickr. Lets hope this is not a permanent "feature".

Old 04-05-2019   #22
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
When I posted this earlier, the image was sharp. Now it isn't. There's something going on at flickr. Lets hope this is not a permanent "feature".
When I look at it, it is really plenty sharp ! No sharpness problem whatsoever on my screen with it.

But when I look at the photos Erik posted links too, I confirm that they are totally unsharp indeed.

I guess that Erik's 800x600 pictures have been brutally downsized by their software from original larger files. They now weight only around 100KB.

Old 04-05-2019   #23
Erik van Straten

I will not upload anything until this problem is gone. If this is the new standard for Flickr, they have no future.

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #24
olifaunt

Quote:
That link now points to an image of size 639 × 799 pixels. On my laptop's 4K screen that is a native size of about 3 inches high - at that size it is sharp. My browser will automatically blow it up larger if I make the more than 3 inches but then of course all the fuzziness is just from my browser's interpolation.

But what is "staticflickr"? Is that some kind of mirror? My image URLs on regular Flickr don't look like that.

Old 04-05-2019   #25
olifaunt

Quote:
I will not upload anything until this problem is gone. If this is the new standard for Flickr, they have no future.

Erik.
Do you have the same problem when you use the normal URL that you get when you click the photo in your stream, like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[yourname]/[photoid]

This way Flickr automatically chooses the display size based on the device.

FWIW my pics all display sharp this way, but they are all uploaded at 4K+ size originally (at least 3600 pixels or about 12 inches on the long side).

Old 04-05-2019   #26
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Do you have the same problem when you use the normal URL that you get when you click the photo in your stream, like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[yourname]/[photoid]

The problem that I have, is that all the images on all my Flickr-accounts that were previously presented sharp now are presented unsharp. I've loaded photo's into Flickr for many years, always in the same way and always in the same format: 5490 x 3949 pixels.

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #27
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

At least it's not flickering.

Old 04-05-2019   #28
Erik van Straten

I think that things have improved now, but I can't post pictures on RFf, only the link shows up.

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #29
bhop73

Mine look normal.

Old 04-05-2019   #30
olifaunt

Quote:
The problem that I have, is that all the images on all my Flickr-accounts that were previously presented sharp now are presented unsharp. I've loaded photo's into Flickr for many years, always in the same way and always in the same format: 5490 x 3949 pixels.

Erik.
How about if you download the original (link on lower right of image on desktop/laptop browser) to your computer? You should get the full original uploaded image that way. Then look at it in a photo editor at 1-1?

Old 04-05-2019   #31
olifaunt

Quote:

Erik.
Also if you use a staticflickr link to refer to the photo you might check if it is the same staticflickr address that you get if you newly click on the download link of the photo of that size from your photostream. AFAICT the staticflickr address also refers to a particular server your photo might be stored on at any particular time, and they might be migrating servers so they might just be filling the old addresses with stubs in the form of small images whereas your full photos may be on a new server. Just my guess.

Old 04-05-2019   #32
Erik van Straten

Quote:
How about if you download the original (link on lower right of image on desktop/laptop browser) to your computer? You should get the full original uploaded image that way. Then look at it in a photo editor at 1-1?

This is what I always do! But the full size is bigger than my screen. I am a composition fanatic, so I want to see the whole picture. Therefore I choose 584 x 800 for lanscape and 467 x 640 for portrait.

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #33
peterm1

I can't say I have noticed the problem with my photos to be honest. I always upload the images at full resolution - though Flickr displays them at a smaller screen-compatible size. Downsizing will sometimes affect apparent sharpness I believe though as I say I am not conscious of seeing this with my images (though I should also add I am not a "pixel peeper" and have never really looked for it). Flickr could in principle of course also process images when they are being stored so that jpg's stored on their system are of a lower quality (more highly compressed) in order to reduce storage demands. But as I say I have not observed it.

Perhaps Erik you should try viewing your Flickr collection using either Fluidr or Flickriver both of which are web pages which link to your Flickr photostream and allow you to display the stream of images in a slightly different manner than in Flickr itself. That at might least indicate if the issue you notice is a result of something about how the images are served to your browser and displayed rather than in how they are processed and stored. (If the resolution is better when viewed using either of these it could suggest something about how the images are being displayed within Flickr rather than anything Flickr has done to the images - say to reduce storage demands as I mention above.)

Just a question as an afterthought. Not all JPGs are the same.........when you process your images and store them on your PC do you elect to store them as 100% quality JPGs? I recall it is an option with my processing software to increase the compression ratio and hence store images at a lower quality to presumably save storage space on the hard drive. I never do this - I always process and store my images at full quality accepting that JPGs have some compression applied to them I seek to minimize this. Maybe this could somehow be a factor in how your flickr images are displaying....i.e. if you are compressing your images then Flickr is further compressing them - BINGO!.

It's a long shot I know but you never know, Flickr could be doing something that interacts less well with any lower than 100% quality JPGs.

Old 04-05-2019   #34
Benjamin Marks

Quote:

HTML Code:
https://live.staticflickr.com/7808/46814806184_4c450e6702_c.jpg

Erik.
Erik: Is it possible that Flickr applies a compression algorithm and subsequent sharpening to photos on its site? I use SmugMug, and pay for the privilege, because I like the rendering on their site. I do have some pictures on Flickr. . . but not "mission critical" ones, and all work for paying clients goes on SmugMug.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Recent/Re...-Edit-2-XL.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120418-DSC02020-XL.jpg (31.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Front%20Cov.%20L1003900-Edit-2-XL.jpg (19.1 KB, 4 views)

Old 04-05-2019   #35
Erik van Straten

Thank you Peter and Benjamin for these extensive message. Yes, I always choose for the highest quality of storing my images. Always jpg's, maximum quality.

Ive never had problems like this with Flickr before. I've used Flickr for many years.

I will take a look at Fluidr or Flickriver, thank you for this suggestion.'

I hope that the problems are over soon. I enjoy sharing my stuff on the web.

Thanks again,

Erik.

Old 04-05-2019   #36
peterm1

Quote:
Thank you Peter and Benjamin for these extensive message. Yes, I always choose for the highest quality of storing my images. Always jpg's, maximum quality.

Ive never had problems like this with Flickr before. I've used Flickr for many years.

I will take a look at Fluidr or Flickriver, thank you for this suggestion.'

I hope that the problems are over soon. I enjoy sharing my stuff on the web.

Thanks again,

Erik.
Erik I did subsequently check out my Flickr photostream using both Fluidr and Flickriver to view a couple of images to compare it to same image displayed using Flickr. But I could not see any obvious differences using this method of viewing with my photos over the same images viewed in Flickr.

If you wish to try them, as I recall there is an option somewhere on the home pages of these sites to log into your Flickr account and then view your stream using these web pages. I don't recall the specific details of this process though I seem to remember it as being an easy thing to do. You just need your Flickr account name and password.

PS Out of interest I typed this phrase "flickr images blurry" and got quite a considerable number of responses mainly from the Flickr help forum. It seems to be a known issue and I would encourage you to go there to see what's being discussed on these threads. I have not had time to do so yet, but as a Flickr user I would certainly be interested to find out when I do have time.

Old 04-05-2019   #37
kuuan
loves old lenses

I haven't noticed any decline in quality of my photos on flickr.
When I uploaded 2 short videos some 3 weeks ago now they had not displayed for some 2 weeks, for 2 weeks they had remained saying "in progress" or something like this, before they finally appeared. I had looked at the help forum at flickr and there it had said that, after fllckr had been bought by a new owner, that all files are being transferred to a new server.
Maybe your issue of sharpness has something to do with that? Just hoping that it's only a temporary issue..

Old 04-05-2019   #38
Greyscale

Perhaps for some reason your browser is loading images meant for mobile devices, or low-resolution placeholder images. My Flickr images look as sharp as ever.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-05-2019   #39
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Check file size received vs. the file size when you uploaded?

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 04-05-2019   #40
Erik van Straten

See the shots put together on this page: Analog DarkRoom / Printing

posts 978 and 979

Erik.