Stating the obvious
Old 06-08-2006   #1
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Stating the obvious

Of course the M8 will be able to see more than 64 lenses. It will incorporate the mechanical frame-line coupling as it will be able to use the lenses without dots. So there are three groups of each two focal lenghts. One dot is needed to distinguish the focal length within each group leaving five dots to determine the exact lens in the group. Thus 6 x 32 = 192 lenses to be identified by six dots.
I think they will substitute a 21 mm frameline for the 135 leaving the basic 3x2 grouping intact. It is hard to see how they could make a fundamental change there without adapting all old lenses. It would be nice if there were a permanent outer frameline for 19 mm. That would need an extra dot for lens-id. leaving us with 6 x 16 +1 = 97 possiblities, which is ample as well, unless they would group it with one of the other focal lengths, still leaving 191 permutations.
I sincerely hope that the expanding number of RF camera's will finally put a stop to the crop vs. focal length issue. The fact that the field of view is reflected into a fixed viewfinder with just the framelines changing will graphically explain that focal length cannot be changed by either film or sensor format. I never heard a 645 photog. refer to his 50 mm wideangle as a "virtual 35" , nor a Pentax 110 user call his 50 mm long telelens a "135 lens".

jaapvphotography

Last edited by jaapv : 06-09-2006 at 00:41.

Old 06-09-2006   #2
Mark Norton

I've read this several times and my brain aches.