Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

All DxO Software half price today..Black Friday sale
Old 11-22-2018   #1
Larry Cloetta

All DxO Software half price today..Black Friday sale

Not personally affiliated with the company, but thought others might be interested. Their RAW processing better than ACR for some camera makes in the opinion of some, and there’s the NIK Suite as well.
Nice deal for those so inclined.

https://shop.dxo.com/

Old 11-22-2018   #2
lawrence

Thanks, that's very interesting.

Old 11-22-2018   #3
shawn

Viewpoint is pretty awesome for perspective correction and also volume deformation correction for wide angle shooting.

For example this is a quick shot from tonight with the Voigtlander 15mm on the m240 comparing DXO Volume Deformation turned off and on. One if with diagonal correction, other is with vertical/horizontal correction.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1006979_DxO.jpg (68.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg L1006979_DxO-1.jpg (72.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg L1006979_DxO-2.jpg (71.6 KB, 19 views)

Old 11-22-2018   #4
shawn

And this is with the volume deformation turned on and forcing parallel lines between the window frame and the doorway on the right.

Great software.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1006979_DxO-3.jpg (72.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 11-22-2018   #5
Larry Cloetta

Shawn,

Thanks for the examples. DxO’s Prime noise reduction algorithm is possibly the best available as well.

Old 11-23-2018   #6
robert blu
quiet photographer

I use the Silver Efex Pro plug in for LR CC; which works good as starting point for my B&W conversions.

Does anyone know if the current version of SEP has any improvement compared to the version which could have been downloaded free a couple of years ago?

robert
PS: I have version 2.2.24 downloaded march 2016

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-23-2018   #7
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Shawn,

Thanks for the examples. DxO’s Prime noise reduction algorithm is possibly the best available as well.
I just started using DXO Photolab 2 and agree that the Prime NR in there is very good. ISO3200 on the M240 looks very clean after the NR while still having good detail.

Shawn

Old 11-23-2018   #8
Larry Cloetta

Robert,

Google never made any effort to keep the NIK Suite compatible with operating system or Adobe updates, and they were never going to. If people updated their computers, or upgraded their host programs like Lightroom, Photoshop, or anything else, the NIK Suite would inevitably become unusable at some point.
When DxO initially took it over there were no changes to the software which had been available free from Google. The version available now has been updated to keep it compatible with current operating systems. Allegedly.
This is what they are claiming for the new version:
https://nikcollection.dxo.com/what-s-new/

I bought it yesterday, but have not installed it yet. At $35 for the entire suite of applications it seems like very inexpensive insurance. For anyone who likes and uses the software, to not buy it seems the classic penny wise and pound foolish. Also, seems to me that it is a good thing to financially support the company who has made an effort, when no one else would, to keep the software viable. Just my opinion.
And for those who have never used it, $35 is really inexpensive for what you get, certainly more useful than that under $50 rangefinder people are always banging on about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I use the Silver Efex Pro plug in for LR CC; which works good as starting point for my B&W conversions.

Does anyone know if the current version of SEP has any improvement compared to the version which could have been downloaded free a couple of years ago?

robert
PS: I have version 2.2.24 downloaded march 2016

Old 11-23-2018   #9
shawn

Quote:
Robert,

I bought it yesterday, but have not installed it yet. At $35 for the entire suite of applications it seems like very inexpensive insurance. For anyone who likes and uses the software, to not buy it seems the classic penny wise and pound foolish. Also, seems to me that it is a good thing to financially support the company who has made an effort, when no one else would, to keep the software viable. Just my opinion.
And for those who have never used it, $35 is really inexpensive for what you get, certainly more useful than that under $50 rangefinder people are always banging on about.
$35 is *cheap.* I bought the original collection from Nik about 3 days before the Google purchase was announced. It was in the hundreds at that point.

Shawn

Old 11-23-2018   #10
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
$35 is *cheap.* I bought the original collection from Nik about 3 days before the Google purchase was announced. It was in the hundreds at that point.

Shawn
Yeah, me too, though not 3 days before. Several hundreds, and I felt it was worth it at the time. Still is, IMO.

Old 11-23-2018   #11
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
... Also, seems to me that it is a good thing to financially support the company who has made an effort, when no one else would, to keep the software viable. ...
Yes, I fully agree, we must support companies which work to give us good tools. I'll go for it tonight!
EDit: done!

robert
PS: thanks for comments

Old 11-23-2018   #12
robert blu
quiet photographer

A question for the experts: do I need to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one? Or installing the new one automatically substitute the old one ?
robert

Old 11-23-2018   #13
bcostin

Thanks for the heads up. I've used the Google version of the Nik Collection quite a lot over the years and $35 is a great price for improved compatibility and continued support.

Viewpoint looks very interesting too. I think I'll experiment with the trial version before the sale ends.

Old 11-23-2018   #14
Larry Cloetta

I know I keep popping in here, but just a suggestion that those who are processing Leica RAW files in LR, might want to download the free trial of PhotoLab 2 in the next couple of days before the sale ends and see if you can't get better results with the files than you were getting with LR ACR. It is much improved over earlier versions, and I'm getting richer results than I can in LR+PS, but maybe I'm no good with those two. It's possible.

Open a few images and try the DxO "Clear View Plus" tab for a few of them and some of the other processing tools. Free to try out, and half price to buy for the next day or so.
If you haven't used DxO in a while, the interface is not near as wonky as it once was. It's almost intuitive-ish. Nice, actually. YMMV

Old 11-23-2018   #15
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
A question for the experts: do I need to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one? Or installing the new one automatically substitute the old one ?
robert
I just bought the new version. I removed the prior versions by hand before putting in the new version. Not sure if I had to do that but when I installed the google versions over the Nik versions I ended up with doubled up plug ins in LR and Photoshop.

Shawn

Old 11-23-2018   #16
shawn

Quote:
I know I keep popping in here, but just a suggestion that those who are processing Leica RAW files in LR, might want to download the free trial of PhotoLab 2 in the next couple of days before the sale ends and see if you can't get better results with the files than you were getting with LR ACR. It is much improved over earlier versions, and I'm getting richer results than I can in LR+PS, but maybe I'm no good with those two. It's possible.

Open a few images and try the DxO "Clear View Plus" tab for a few of them and some of the other processing tools. Free to try out, and half price to buy for the next day or so.
If you haven't used DxO in a while, the interface is not near as wonky as it once was. It's almost intuitive-ish. Nice, actually. YMMV
Yes, the software works well plus it gives you the U Point local adjustments built in and with some additional options. It also integrates well with LR to send the RAW from LR to DXO and then DXO will send the processed file back to LR.

Would also suggest trying FilmPack 5 too. Think of it as a bunch of nice presets and it gives loads of flexibility to tweak them further. It, and Viewpoint, are all integrated into PhotoLab too or can be used standalone.

Filmpack examples

Only downside to Photolab2 is it can't handle Fuji, doesn't work with Iridient X-Transformer converted flat DNGs either.

Shawn

Old 11-23-2018   #17
wintoid
Back to film

I really like DXO but it doesn't work with Monochrom 246 files

Old 11-24-2018   #18
shawn

For those trying DXO Photolab II check out the Color Rendering tab. It lets you set the colors to not only simulate types of films but also a number of different digital camera bodies. Differences are subtle but some nice looks in there.

Shawn

Old 11-25-2018   #19
robert blu
quiet photographer

Bought and installed ok.

I mainly use the SEP for B&W conversions from my DNG (M10) files as starting point. Each file is than individually processed in LR

For B&W lovers it's an excellent product once you learn a little how to use it!

robert

Old 11-25-2018   #20
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Not personally affiliated with the company, but thought others might be interested. Their RAW processing better than ACR for some camera makes in the opinion of some, and there’s the NIK Suite as well.
Nice deal for those so inclined.

https://shop.dxo.com/
Thanks for posting this. While the demo of Photolab 2 frequently froze, probably due to my still using my 2011 MacBook Air, so I passed on that despite the excellent price, I did use the opportunity to get the NIK Suite. I am one of those who spent hundreds of dollars on the plug-ins before Google took it over. I decided this was a good time to try to future-proof the plug-ins, and, as others have said, reward DXO for committing to keeping them usable. Silver Efex Pro is essential to my photography, and I've also started to use Viveza a fair bit again. The others, i really have to learn

Old 11-25-2018   #21
RichC

Thanks for the heads up Larry. Just bought the Nik tools as sooner or later my Google version will keel over...! And £29 is a very good price.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 11-25-2018   #22
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevres_babylone View Post
Thanks for posting this. While the demo of Photolab 2 frequently froze, probably due to my still using my 2011 MacBook Air, so I passed on that despite the excellent price, I did use the opportunity to get the NIK Suite.
I have seen two conditions were it freezes. Trying to open a Iridient X-Transformer DNG kind of locks it up and it also seems to lock up if I open a file over a network in a directory with a lot of files in the same directory. I think it gets very busy trying to build previews for all the files and then it seems to freeze. Opening a file from a local drive with lots of files in it doesn't seem to have the problem.

Shawn

Old 11-25-2018   #23
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I have seen two conditions were it freezes. Trying to open a Iridient X-Transformer DNG kind of locks it up and it also seems to lock up if I open a file over a network in a directory with a lot of files in the same directory. I think it gets very busy trying to build previews for all the files and then it seems to freeze. Opening a file from a local drive with lots of files in it doesn't seem to have the problem.

Shawn
I agree that trying to build a preview from a folder with lots of files is a problem for it on my laptop. But it was also freezing at the start when it was asking if I wanted to download the Lightroom plug-in. Anyway, I might continue it to try it during my 30 days, and it it works for me, will consider it the next time they have a sale like this.

In the meantime, I will continue to use Adobe Camera Raw. I don't need the previews, because I work with Photo Mechanic for those.