Old 3 Days Ago   #41
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
E6 film hardly sells today. B & H has both expired Provia and Velvia for sale. Fuji's going to need some BIG freezers to keep this stuff fresh.
According to shops I deal with, E6 is selling better now than it has for years.

Old 3 Days Ago   #42
jarski

What affects Fuji as everyone else in business, was mentioned in recent Adox videos.

Likely many of their film line workers were trained in 1980s and 90s, and having a gray hair now. And it won't make sense for a long training millennials to work after them. While not mentioned in official announcements, its probably contributing factor when deciding further cuts in production etc.

Old 3 Days Ago   #43
telenous

Fuji still sells at least one colour film for every ISO from ISO 50 to ISO 800. If/When they have a glaring gap in that line, e.g. no ISO 200 or ISO 400 film, we 'll know for sure they are going. So far that's not the case.

flickr
instagram

Old 3 Days Ago   #44
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Just steal a copy of the corporation's 500-year business plan!

Chris

Old 3 Days Ago   #45
NickTrop

Panic = Click bait. Even with such things as film stock. No wonder the Russians were able to sway US elections and we're in the shape we're in.

Old 3 Days Ago   #46
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faintandfuzzy View Post

That perfectly explains why there is so much expired film lying around.

Old 3 Days Ago   #47
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
Fuji still sells at least one colour film for every ISO from ISO 50 to ISO 800. If/When they have a glaring gap in that line, e.g. no ISO 200 or ISO 400 film, we 'll know for sure they are going. So far that's not the case.
They don't have iso 800 anymore.

Old 3 Days Ago   #48
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Nor do they have ISO100 C41 film anymore.

Those two along with Superia 1600 were axed last year.

A radical thinning of their product line has been underway for the past several years.

Old 3 Days Ago   #49
css9450

Quote:

Or 50 either; that would be E-6.

I miss the slow films when they go away.

Old 3 Days Ago   #50
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Quote:

We still have ISO 100 and ISO 800 Fujifilm C41 films in Japan, but no Fujifilm Superia 400 XTRA anymore! That got axed a while back, and instead we just have Superia 400 Premium at about twice the price

Old 3 Days Ago   #51
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
I was told by a reliable sort I know for >10 years working at one of the two notable New York City-based camera equipment suppliers, that the film we see coming from Fuji are stores from deep freeze (after an enormous production run years ago) and that they have rid themselves of the machinery to make new stock. He further told me the decision was made long ago and based on expectations of film's imminent demise.

I pressed him on whether he was joking and he said he was dead-serious.

Anyone else here this?
This lie is running around for quite some time.
But it is easy to identify this as a lie:
1. Big film manufacturers do not freeze film!! None of them is doing that!
Because:
- it is much too expensive (too high enegry costs, too much bound capital for such a long time)
- it is too risky for the film (film can have brittle failures at too low temperatures).

Film manufacturers store their film after coating at about 8 Celsuis. On the former Agfa Belgium webpage that was explained and pictures of the storage were shown. It is also visible in the Kodak factory visit video of "Negative Feedback" on youtube. Former Ilford CEO Simon Galley has also confirmed at apug that all film manufacturers - including Ilford - do generally not freeze film but after coating store it for short- and mid-term storage at about 8C.

And, very important:
Last year at the biggest photo fair in the world Fujifilm has made a very clear statement that they will continue to produce standard photo film. It was presented on a huge wall visible for all visitors. And it was also on brochures / flyers available for all visitors (and of course Fuji told all their big customers / retailers).
I quote that statement:
"Keep on Rolling!
Preserving The Culture of Photography
One of the most powerful innovations of the 19th century was the invention of film. Since then, film has been used to capture and document the most important events in history as well as the everyday moments in everyday lives.
FUJIFILM is on a mission to preserve the culture of photography, and with our range of silver-halide films, photographers can continue to harness the emotion, permanence and appeal of film photography."

Below that statement all current Fuji standard photo films were listed with available formats.

Last year Fujifilm invested in new photo film products like complete new design and packaging for 3pack C200 and X-Tra 400.
Fuji NA also invested in several new marketing efforts like Workshops, film give-aways, instagram marketing and a new webpage completely dedicated to traditional photo film https://www.ishootfujifilm.com/

It would be completely idiotic to waste money on new packagings and lots of marketing if you already have stopped production.
It is another evidence that this "freezer" story is nonsense.
Some weeks ago at WPPI Fuji again confirmed that they continue to produce film.

Old 3 Days Ago   #52
telenous

The elimination of ISO 800 film is news to me. For the moment I can find here in Europe both Fujicolor 100 and Natura 800. By ISO 50 I meant Velvia (what else?) But let's say you guys are right. It hurts to see Natura go but the litmus test will be the continued production or axing of either ISO 200 or ISO 400 films. Anecdotal obviously, but I believe these two to be the most popular options. As an example, when Fuji stopped producing Neopan 400, I knew they were out of the game. You couldn't say they were serious about b&w just because they had Acros 100 in stock. Similarly, if Fuji drops completely either ISO 200 or ISO 400 films you 'll know they are leaving film- town.

flickr
instagram

Old 3 Days Ago   #53
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
It was presented on a huge wall visible for all visitors. And it was also on brochures / flyers available for all visitors (and of course Fuji told all their big customers / retailers).
I quote that statement:
"Keep on Rolling!
Preserving The Culture of Photography
One of the most powerful innovations of the 19th century was the invention of film. Since then, film has been used to capture and document the most important events in history as well as the everyday moments in everyday lives.
FUJIFILM is on a mission to preserve the culture of photography, and with our range of silver-halide films, photographers can continue to harness the emotion, permanence and appeal of film photography."

The above is the BIGGEST lie in all of photography. That text has been around for nearly a decade and Fujifilm has utterly decimated their once great product line while singing from that hymnal.

Sure, some rationalization of the products had to occur. But the moment the line became incomplete the writing is on the wall. Fujifilm will not or can not sustain their film line.

I expect plenty more films of theirs to be discontinued in the future.

Old 3 Days Ago   #54
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I expect plenty more films of theirs to be discontinued in the future.
They really don't have that more to go. I count three slide and three color negative left for the US market. Obviously no black and white.

Old 3 Days Ago   #55
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
They really don't have that more to go. I count three slide and three color negative left for the US market. Obviously no black and white.

Right. E6 films are probably next. There's so much short dated film out there for sale that clearly supply is too great now.

Old 3 Days Ago   #56
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Where is Pro 400H $2.99 a roll?
As has already been pointed out, I confused 400H with Superia 400, which is currently $2.99/roll at B&H.

Old 3 Days Ago   #57
ptpdprinter

Quote:
The question is: are the shops you dealing with still processing it? My local store sells the new Ektachrome E100 but you have to mail it off for processing. All in cost is about $25.00/roll, which I think would limit its appeal.

Old 3 Days Ago   #58
Ted Striker

Quote:
The question is: are the shops you dealing with still processing it? My local store sells the new Ektachrome E100 but you have to mail it off for processing. All in cost is about $25.00/roll, which I think would limit its appeal.

My shop sells both Fuji and Kodak E6 films but does not process it. Not enough demand I'm told. They process C41, once a week.

Old 3 Days Ago   #59
Skiff

Quote:
The above is the BIGGEST lie in all of photography. That text has been around for nearly a decade and Fujifilm
Wrong. Again.
That text has never been published before by Fujifilm.

And it has not been so far presented in such a prominent way on the biggest photo fair Photokina. But last year at Photokina they did it, published it and made a big wall and flyers.
You have never been at Photokina. I have been visiting it for decades.

And fact is: The Fujifilm booth last year was very different to their boothes the Photokinas before: Much more about film! And all-in-all, about 50% of the booth space (it was one of the biggest booths at the whole fair) was for their silver-halide products!! Including mini-lab machines for silver-halide RA-4 prints (which were re-introduced by them because of increasing demand some time ago).

Old 3 Days Ago   #60
nbagno

I read an interview a week or so ago, or maybe it was a video interview, I’m sure I can find it. The Fuji person being interviewed said Fuji would be the last manufacturer still making film. Now what kind of film we don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 3 Days Ago   #61
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:

Where is it? And is it cheap like expired film should be? Or is it expensive, and that's why it is laying around? Because I'll grab all the cheap E6 I can.

I see way too many people trying to sell expired film for new film prices (or more!).

Old 3 Days Ago   #62
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
Where is it? And is it cheap like expired film should be? Or is it expensive, and that's why it is laying around? Because I'll grab all the cheap E6 I can.
B&H often has short-dated or expired Provia at a discount. Maybe Velvia too? I've used it; its good. Its cheapER than the current stuff, but that's probably at least partly because the regular price has grown quite a bit over the last decade.

Which reminds me, I just found a roll of print film in the garage which expired in 2003.... I need to put it on Ebay. Its been exposed to 100+ and -20 degree temperatures, so it not just "expired", its been stress-treated! I'll probably get $30 for it!!

Old 3 Days Ago   #63
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post

I see way too many people trying to sell expired film for new film prices (or more!).

Check B & H. They often have expired slide film. And it is sold at lower cost.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...me_Provia.html

Old 3 Days Ago   #64
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
B&H often has short-dated or expired Provia at a discount. Maybe Velvia too? I've used it; its good. Its cheapER than the current stuff, but that's probably at least partly because the regular price has grown quite a bit over the last decade.

Which reminds me, I just found a roll of print film in the garage which expired in 2003.... I need to put it on Ebay. Its been exposed to 100+ and -20 degree temperatures, so it not just "expired", its been stress-treated! I'll probably get $30 for it!!

Yes, Velvia too. Here is some expired 4 x 5 Velvia.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...vp_100_np.html

Old 3 Days Ago   #65
Takkun
Ian M.

Eh, I'm not buying the theory that they're winding down, or have winded down production. I just checked out their ishootfujifilm site, and between that and the photokina booth, why would they spend the money on marketing expired stock and hiding it from consumers? One would think that logically, if they were trying to move product, announcing its discontinuation would be the best practice. Acros flew off of shelves.

A little surprised Fujicolor and Superia sticking around rather than just focusing on the premium stock. But not disappointed. It's not my favorite film, but I rarely fail to find it at some remote Walgreens when I'm on the road and worried about running out of film. (Sometimes I'll find Tmax at $9 a pop, too)

currently trying to find a use for a Nikon D2.
--
my infrequently updated blog

Old 2 Days Ago   #66
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Eh, I'm not buying the theory that they're winding down, or have winded down production. I just checked out their ishootfujifilm site, and between that and the photokina booth, why would they spend the money on marketing expired stock and hiding it from consumers? One would think that logically, if they were trying to move product, announcing its discontinuation would be the best practice. Acros flew off of shelves.

People act as if setting up a web page is some sort of huge marketing campaign. It's not. It's laughable. A high schooler could do it.

Old 2 Days Ago   #67
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
The shops I deal with in LA, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto and Tokyo have no E6 expired rolls around. Take your vendetta elsewhere Ratty Mouse. It has become tiring.

Old 2 Days Ago   #68
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
As has already been pointed out, I confused 400H with Superia 400, which is currently $2.99/roll at B&H.
My bad...didn't notice the correction. That said, I recently scored a box of 100 rolls of Fuji Industrial 400. Comeon Fedex!!!

Old 2 Days Ago   #69
jsrockit

Quote:
The shops I deal with in LA, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto and Tokyo have no E6 expired rolls around. Take your vendetta elsewhere Ratty Mouse. It has become tiring.
But there is plenty of expired film out there as well...

Old 2 Days Ago   #70
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
But there is plenty of expired film out there as well...
And there are plenty of digital cameras of the previous model as well. Point? I see no expired film in E6 as suggested. Of course, Kodak decided to reintroduce Ektrachrome because it can't sell.

Old 2 Days Ago   #71
ptpdprinter

I believe the point Ted was making was that expired Velvia and Provia frequently shows up at discounted prices at B&H, where a lot of us shop. Perhaps they are not as good at inventory management as the stores you deal with, routinely overestimating demand.

Old 2 Days Ago   #72
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
I believe the point Ted was making was that expired Velvia and Provia frequently shows up at discounted prices at B&H, where a lot of us shop. Perhaps they are not as good at inventory management as the stores you deal with, routinely overestimating demand.
First, B&H has nothing to do with the cities I mentioned. I am using stores from multiple cities...as opposed to one shop. They have lots of previous model DSLRs in stock as well...I guess digital cameras are dying as well.

Second, Ted, AKA Rattymouse as well as other user IDs has a long history here, at DPReview , Filmwaster and Photo.net doing his best to paint a doom and gloom picture of film. Always shown to be incorrect. If the forum here is supporting his nonsense, the forum has become a waste of time.

Old 2 Days Ago   #73
jsrockit

Quote:
And there are plenty of digital cameras of the previous model as well. Point? I see no expired film in E6 as suggested. Of course, Kodak decided to reintroduce Ektrachrome because it can't sell.
Ok, you win... there is no expired film for sale anywhere. Digital cameras are computers that keep evolving. Of course there are older models for sale used. I don’t see the point of your comparison.

Old 2 Days Ago   #74
ptpdprinter

Quote:
First, B&H has nothing to do with the cities I mentioned. I am using stores from multiple cities...as opposed to one shop. They have lots of previous model DSLRs in stock as well...I guess digital cameras are dying as well.
Perhaps they are as poor as inventory management with DSLRs as B&H is with E6 film. Your observations are certainly consistent with the growing trend away from DSLRs and toward mirrorless. Digital ILC sales actually were down 35% in January compared to the same month last year. The downward trend has been pretty consistent for the last three or four years as people have shifted away from digital cameras to their iPhones. Canon has predicted that the digital camera market will be half what it is today in two years. Doom and gloom about digital camera sales is an accepted fact. Yet a niche group of forum frequenters are wetting their pants over the Nikon Z series, the Canon R series, the Panasonic S1 series, the Leica Q2, and the upcoming Fuji GFX100. A lot depends on your perspective.

Old 2 Days Ago   #75
SaveKodak

Ah you heard wrong! In fact I have an incredibly reliable source that I know from the darkweb. I paid him 7 bitcoins to find out that in fact Fuji is still producing all their films, including those marked discontinued!

400H in 220, they still make it! Provia 400X, still produced in large quantities. Even 3000B is still made. They are all being cold stored until they Japan Camera Hunter deletes his Instagram account. I believe they are stored next to a stockpile of Fuji TX-2 and GF670 bodies in matte black.

This news was worth every digital penny I spent on it!

Old 2 Days Ago   #76
mpaniagua

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Ah you heard wrong! In fact I have an incredibly reliable source that I know from the darkweb. I paid him 7 bitcoins to find out that in fact Fuji is still producing all their films, including those marked discontinued!

400H in 220, they still make it! Provia 400X, still produced in large quantities. Even 3000B is still made. They are all being cold stored until they Japan Camera Hunter deletes his Instagram account. I believe they are stored next to a stockpile of Fuji TX-2 and GF670 bodies in matte black.

This news was worth every digital penny I spent on it!
Sorry mate you heard it wrong. They are stored next to a stock pile of frozen twinkies

Old 1 Day Ago   #77
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
What affects Fuji as everyone else in business, was mentioned in recent Adox videos.

Likely many of their film line workers were trained in 1980s and 90s, and having a gray hair now. And it won't make sense for a long training millennials to work after them. While not mentioned in official announcements, its probably contributing factor when deciding further cuts in production etc.
What happens to a business that is selling to a market worth 900 million rolls a year which drops within a period of two years down to 20 million rolls a year? The bottom has dropped out of their market. Even with the increases in sales since the film revival started we are still talking a market that is down 97%. I'm surprised they are producing film at all - I think they do it mainly for its PR value.

Old 1 Day Ago   #78
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:

Those two along with Superia 1600 were axed last year.

A radical thinning of their product line has been underway for the past several years.
I think you are right, but I don't understand what you expect them to do. They are business - Fujifilm Holdings Corp ADR - and have to answer to stockholders and the banks.

Old 1 Day Ago   #79
Huss

Spoke to my film peeps at Samys in LA. They said Fuji is not discontinuing film. But is raising prices.

Old 1 Day Ago   #80
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Check B & H. They often have expired slide film. And it is sold at lower cost.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...me_Provia.html

Reason I don't check their site: you have to buy in lots of five rolls, and the price for an expired product is ridiculous. Of course - if nobody were buying it, I'm sure they'd sell it cheaper.