Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 5 Days Ago   #81
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
They were on the internal list for discontinuation, but then Fujifilm cancelled that decision and kept them in the line because of the positive market changes.
So you have insight into their internal documents (any hints on what's on their current disco list)?

Do you know why Fuji wouldn't sell Velvia 50 in 4x5 outside Japan so the distributors have to use unofficial channels to get that film?
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #82
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
That was the number for the North American market only.
The global market had its peak in 1999/2000 with about 3 billion rolls (source: Fujifilm Japan), and/or according to the PMA in 2001/2002 with about 3.5 billion rolls (including all formats and SUC). You will find this data in R. Shanebrooks book "Making Kodak Film" on page 267.
The GfK (big global market research company) published a number of 2.8 billion rolls for 1994/95.



This comment again demonstrates that you have no clue at all about this industry. For almost a decade now the global market research companies did not collect data anymore. And before that you had to pay lots of money for the data.
Now only the manufacturers, the distributors and small independent market researchers have the data (and we talked to them, not to "marketing people"). I've worked for decades as a professional photographer, lot's of excellent contacts remained.
Ilford e.g. had +9% in film sales in 2017, Kodak +5 to +20% depending on the market. Bergger had delivery problems because the batch of Pancro 400 IC made for them has been sold in only one year instaed of the expected two years. Fotoimpex explained they have double digit growth for years. Fujifilm Europe had massive film backorders, because demand surpassed supply in first half of 2018. Fujifilm introduced the new Maxima high-quality silver-halide paper at Photokina. JOBO is introducing new lab gear because of increasing demand (they were very satiesfied with demand from the Photokina, too). Just some examples from the last Photokina.

Again:
All the major companies in this industry have introduced new products, are currently working on new products and / or have started numerous marketing efforts. All very clear signs of the recent positive market change.
Why continue with the insults? I'm asking completely fair and relevant questions.

For the sake of discussion, let's say you know an investor that would like to put money into this growing market. Convince the investor with the published data that backs up your claims.

If it exists, that shouldn't be hard to do...
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #83
Skiff
Registered User
 
Skiff is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
So you have insight into their internal documents (any hints on what's on their current disco list)?
As a long term customer for decades I've built a trustful relationsship to their staff responsible for distribution. No current disco list. The film programme is as it was presentd at Photokina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Do you know why Fuji wouldn't sell Velvia 50 in 4x5 outside Japan so the distributors have to use unofficial channels to get that film?
No, sorry, even my contacts there have no explanation why it is only available in Japan. But intrepid is regularly importing it to Europe meanwhile.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #84
Skiff
Registered User
 
Skiff is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
For the sake of discussion, let's say you know an investor that would like to put money into this growing market. Convince the investor with the published data that backs up your claims.

If it exists, that shouldn't be hard to do...
Exactly, it is not hard. The manufacturers have the data for their company, and presented it to investors:
- Ilford has got an investor in 2015, a private equity group
- Film Ferrania has got an investor last summer
- ADOX CEO said investors have asked to invest in ADOX, but he rejected because he wants to keep full control over his "life-work" (which I can completely understand).
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #85
brbo
Registered User
 
brbo's Avatar
 
brbo is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
No, sorry, even my contacts there have no explanation why it is only available in Japan. But intrepid is regularly importing it to Europe meanwhile.
I know, that's where I get it. Maco also has it available on occasions for very short periods. Odd. There obviously is a demand, but no steady supply.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #86
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
Exactly, it is not hard. The manufacturers have the data for their company, and presented it to investors:
- Ilford has got an investor in 2015, a private equity group
- Film Ferrania has got an investor last summer
- ADOX CEO said investors have asked to invest in ADOX, but he rejected because he wants to keep full control over his "life-work" (which I can completely understand).
And...still no data presented. Oh well...

  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #87
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
All the major companies in this industry have introduced new products,

Far more products have been discontinued than introduced.



Fujfiilm leads the pack in discontinuing emulsions.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #88
Ste_S
Registered User
 
Ste_S is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Fujfiilm leads the pack in discontinuing emulsions.
I think Fuji is the main indicator of the health of the film industry. If they start bringing back their B&W film and/or re-introducing something like the Klasse or the GA645 then we'll know we're in a film renaissance.
Heck, if all the supermarkets that sell Instax start selling Fuji 35mm or 120 film alongside it that'll be something

Otherwise film is still a niche within a niche
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #89
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
I think Fuji is the main indicator of the health of the film industry. If they start bringing back their B&W film and/or re-introducing something like the Klasse or the GA645 then we'll know we're in a film renaissance.
That is simply delusional. I think most would be happy if the bleeding stopped at Fuji.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #90
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
That is simply delusional. I think most would be happy if the bleeding stopped at Fuji.

It may be delusional, but it's not totally unrealistic.


Fujifilm brought back Neopan 400 and Velvia.



Bringing back the Klasse cameras would certainly fit in with a film renaissance. Those were built by Cosina, not Fujifilm. Surely they could build them again. They were excellent cameras and priced very reasonably at under $500. Today they sell for over $1000!


I deeply regret not buying a Klasse camera when I was in Japan many years ago. Fujifilm said at the time that they were totally committed to film so I didnt have a sense of urgency.


Now I know how dishonest Fujifilm was. They discontinued that camera less than 6 months later.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #91
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker
 
Phil_F_NM's Avatar
 
Phil_F_NM is offline
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 42
Posts: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Now I know how dishonest Fujifilm was. They discontinued that camera less than 6 months later.
You mean someone in marketing didn't tell the truth? 😱😱
Phil Forrest
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #92
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
You mean someone in marketing didn't tell the truth? 😱😱
Phil Forrest
Hmm, this is unpossible!
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #93
Ste_S
Registered User
 
Ste_S is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
That is simply delusional. I think most would be happy if the bleeding stopped at Fuji.
I think you've missed the point somewhat
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #94
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Fujfiilm leads the pack in discontinuing emulsions.
Wrong.
Kodak has discontinued more emulsions in the last 15 years than Fujifilm.
Just look at Shanebrook's book 'Making Kodak Film'. Then you will see at once how much was axed. It is listed there.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #95
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Bringing back the Klasse cameras would certainly fit in with a film renaissance. Those were built by Cosina, not Fujifilm. Surely they could build them again. They were excellent cameras and priced very reasonably at under $500. Today they sell for over $1000!

I deeply regret not buying a Klasse camera when I was in Japan many years ago. Fujifilm said at the time that they were totally committed to film so I didnt have a sense of urgency.

Now I know how dishonest Fujifilm was. They discontinued that camera less than 6 months later.
Again complete nonsense.
Fujifilm was absolutely honest about the 'Klasse' cameras. They were introduced in 2006. In a time, when most other manufacturers stopped film camera production.
And Fujifilm clearly said that this series is a limited production run of 8,000 cameras.
Everyone knew from the beginning that this offer is for a limited time.
Dedicated to the Japanese market, because in all other countries at that time no one was interested in a new film compact camera anymore. The digital boom was in full swing at that time.
Kudos to Fujifilm that they did this production run at that time. No other film manufacturer did that.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #96
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
It may be delusional, but it's not totally unrealistic.


Fujifilm brought back Neopan 400 and Velvia.



Bringing back the Klasse cameras would certainly fit in with a film renaissance. Those were built by Cosina, not Fujifilm. Surely they could build them again. They were excellent cameras and priced very reasonably at under $500. Today they sell for over $1000!


I deeply regret not buying a Klasse camera when I was in Japan many years ago. Fujifilm said at the time that they were totally committed to film so I didnt have a sense of urgency.


Now I know how dishonest Fujifilm was. They discontinued that camera less than 6 months later.
In case if you missed it, Cosina quit from film cameras some years ago. And very few of those who wants this klasse thing is not even niche market. It is no market for Cosina.
  Reply With Quote

Old 7 Hours Ago   #97
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Wrong.
Kodak has discontinued more emulsions in the last 15 years than Fujifilm.
Just look at Shanebrook's book 'Making Kodak Film'. Then you will see at once how much was axed. It is listed there.

Cheers, Jan
Kodak went bankrupt. I'm talking about a stable company axing films. Fujifilm is robustly profitable. To an extent that Kodak cannot dream of. Fujifilm's share price is going up and to the right. Kodak's share price is in free fall. Investors are pricing in a second bankruptcy. If the current trend continues, Kodak will fall below $2/share. This month.

Fujifilm is profitable and has axed a huge amount of their films.

That is forever to Fujifilm's shame.
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Hours Ago   #98
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Fujifilm is profitable and has axed a huge amount of their films.
Fujfilm remained profitable in film production because they have stopped non-profitable products with too low demand.
Bitter for us photographers now, but good in the long-term because that keeps film production there running.
And it builds the basis for returning of films in the future when demand has increased enough so that it will be profitable again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
That is forever to Fujifilm's shame.
Future will show that it was hard action necessary to keep the lines running.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Hours Ago   #99
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
And it builds the basis for returning of films in the future when demand has increased enough so that it will be profitable again.
So Fuji is going to keep the buildings and machinery idle and in good repair, and the employees trained and ready, while it patiently waits on a return of demand? Right next to its buggy whip factories?
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Hours Ago   #100
Bille
Registered User
 
Bille's Avatar
 
Bille is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Age: 41
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Hi,

disclaimer first: This posting is not adressed to all the "doom and gloom" prayers here. They will be hurt by the content , and therefore should stop reading immediately at this point .

This posting is just a bit more detailed information and facts for all of those here on rff who really shoot film and want a realistic picture of the situation on the market.
A roll of Velvia at 16 Euro tells me enough about the market situation...

https://www.nordfoto.de/analoge-foto...135-36-rvp-100
__________________
www.endzeit.de
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Hours Ago   #101
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps
 
davidnewtonguitars's Avatar
 
davidnewtonguitars is offline
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 1,239
You know you can buy buy today, buggy whips from many sources, and in multiple styles? That is about 120 years after they were worrying about it in the forums of the day.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So Fuji is going to keep the buildings and machinery idle and in good repair, and the employees trained and ready, while it patiently waits on a return of demand? Right next to its buggy whip factories?
__________________
Leica M2 / Leica ii
Canon 3.5cm-f2 / Nikkor 3.5cm-f2.5
http://davidnewtonguitars.squarespace.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 6 Hours Ago   #102
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
You know you can buy buy today, buggy whips from many sources, and in multiple styles? That is about 120 years after they were worrying about it in the forums of the day.
I'm grateful that Jason Lane is making dry plates but I hope it does not become the business model for 35mm film.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Hours Ago   #103
HHPhoto
Registered User
 
HHPhoto is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
So Fuji is going to keep the buildings and machinery idle and in good repair, and the employees trained and ready, while it patiently waits on a return of demand?
It has been explained here again, and again, and again.

Their buildings and machines are all in use!! For production of
- instax color film
- instax BW film
- C200
- Superia X-Tra 400 / Premium 400
- Pro 400H
- Velvia 50
- Velvia 100
- Provia 100F
- X-ray film
- archiving films
Fact is that Fujifilm is by far the biggest photo film manufacturer in the world. Their instax film production alone is bigger than the whole film production of Kodak, Ilford, Foma and all the other smaller companies together!
Films are all produced on the same coating machines. Every film manufacturer is doing that. Often even photo paper is coated on the same machines. Therefore Fujifilm has all the machines needed for a later re-introduction of emulsions.

Cheers, Jan
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Hours Ago   #104
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
It has been explained here again, and again, and again.

Their buildings and machines are all in use!! For production of
- instax color film
- instax BW film
- C200
- Superia X-Tra 400 / Premium 400
- Pro 400H
- Velvia 50
- Velvia 100
- Provia 100F
- X-ray film
- archiving films
Fact is that Fujifilm is by far the biggest photo film manufacturer in the world. Their instax film production alone is bigger than the whole film production of Kodak, Ilford, Foma and all the other smaller companies together!
Films are all produced on the same coating machines. Every film manufacturer is doing that. Often even photo paper is coated on the same machines. Therefore Fujifilm has all the machines needed for a later re-introduction of emulsions.
So Fuji went from 100% to 2% production and yet all of its facilities and machinery are still in use? Amazing.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Hours Ago   #105
Prest_400
Multiformat
 
Prest_400's Avatar
 
Prest_400 is offline
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden/Spain
Posts: 860
Well, for Fuji the bringing back films has not been applied for Reala, Astia and Neopan, amongst others. Glad Instax keeps the machinery running.

And the buggy whip analogy is far from applicable as making color film is closer to rocket science.

I'll be just glad to keep on shooting with the options we have. Aside of continuous consumption, unless anyone here is a billionaire who decides to buy Kodak and make it their playground, it's rather pointless.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Hours Ago   #106
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 45
Posts: 19,647
No
Middle
Ground
In this Thread ��
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Hours Ago   #107
NickTrop
Registered User
 
NickTrop's Avatar
 
NickTrop is offline
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,983
Mailers -- high volume processing from properly maintained equipment, fresh chemicals, and properly trained technicians.
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Hours Ago   #108
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is online now
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Mailers -- high volume processing from properly maintained equipment, fresh chemicals, and properly trained technicians.
B&H sells Kodak and Fuji E6 film with mailers. It looks like the film goes to Dwaynes.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.