Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

Little Sites
Old 08-21-2008   #1
Bill Pierce

Little Sites

First, thanks to all of you that sent helpful suggestions for the website, http://www.billpiercepictures.com, both here and to me directly. It was much appreciated.

Some of you may already know of this Adobe Lightroom site, http://lightroom-news.com/. Many of you may say, "So what?" because you don't use Lightroom. But it set me to thinking about the many helpful websites. The big ones, Luminous Landscape, The Online photographer, e.t.c., we all know. But what about the more obscure, like Lightroom News? Anybody have any favorites that they want to share with the rest of us?

Bill

Old 08-21-2008   #2
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
There's a little forum site I use every so often: www.rangefinderforum.com -- generally nice bunch of people, though the discussions are a tad "gear-heavy" at times.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 08-21-2008   #3
MacDaddy
Certified Machead

Maybe not so little, but a terrific resource on lighting: http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

Geezerdude

Old 08-21-2008   #4
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
First, thanks to all of you that sent helpful suggestions for the website, http://www.billpiercepictures.com, both here and to me directly. It was much appreciated.
Very nice! Takes a lot of time (or money to get someone) to do this sort of thing in Flash from the ground up for someone mildly versed in Flash programming.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 08-21-2008   #5
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Here's a home made site dealing with darkrooms for B/W printing. It's a pretty good resource with an easy to follow sidebar index. It covers everything from chemicals, paper, pushing and pulling, dodging and buring... you get the idea

Black and White Darkroom

it's all about light

Old 08-22-2008   #6
Chuck Albertson

I'll second the Strobist. I've always been an available-light kinda guy, but it got me fooling around with a used SB-28 and an umbrella, and I like the results.

Old 08-23-2008   #7
Bill Pierce

Here's an interesting one I've followed for awhile.

http://www.imaginginsider.com/

Bill

Old 08-25-2008   #8
35mmdelux
#Represent

the best photography blog next to RFF is here:

www.apug.org

Paul

Old 08-26-2008   #9
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
Here's an interesting one I've followed for awhile.

http://www.imaginginsider.com/

Bill
Bill that's a good one. When I went there I realized my Version 2.0 of Photoshop Elements was significantly out of date based on the release review of PSE 7.0!

Now I can stay current (if I want to ;D)

it's all about light

Old 08-26-2008   #10
Zathros
Does not play well with o

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mmdelux View Post
the best photography blog next to RFF is here:

www.apug.org

Paul
No way, APUG is way better. It is a much more comprehensive site than this one as far as PHOTOGRAPHY is concerned. This site is more for gearheads and collectors.

RFF is exclusive RF site
Old 08-26-2008   #11
35mmdelux
#Represent

RFF is exclusive RF site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
No way, APUG is way better. It is a much more comprehensive site than this one as far as PHOTOGRAPHY is concerned. This site is more for gearheads and collectors.
RFF is highly focused. RFF is the tip of the spear.

Old 06-16-2009   #12
ryan26

http://www.alertnet.org/ Great site for under-reported news. Good source for documentary photographers.

http://www.enterworldpressphoto.org/ Nice reading for photojournalists and documentary photographers.

http://www.markushartel.com/tutorials/ He's got great photoshop tips.

Old 06-16-2009   #13
thomasw_

Quote:
No way, APUG is [a] way.....more comprehensive site than this one as far as PHOTOGRAPHY is concerned.
I agree with this statement as I have snipped it. I think it is empirically discernible that APUG covers more aspects of photography than RFF.

Quote:
This site is more for gearheads and collectors.
I think this is partially true. There are people everywhere who have for the sake of having; the Smaug philosophy has been around since the dawn of time. But I don't think others need to painted with the same brush when clearly they do not have the trait. I love coming here for specific deliberations on RFF gear/techniques. I prefer APUG for deliberations regarding darkroom techniques, films and papers. I don't like APUG for gear or technical discussions about using RFs; it is not very specific.

Old 06-16-2009   #14
back alley
IMAGES

one year old thread here...