Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

View Poll Results: Which small lightmeter?
Gossen Digisix 20 44.44%
Sekonic Twinmaster 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Digisix or Twinmaster?
Old 03-23-2016   #1
giganova

Digisix or Twinmaster?

Looking for a small light meter that fits into a pocket. The Digisix and Twinmaster seem to have near identical form, function, and price.

What do you think?

Old 03-23-2016   #2
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

If by Twinmaster you mean the small L-208, go for it. The Digisix will give you readings in EVs, which you later have to turn into f-stops and shutterspeeds using a chart. The Sekonic has a nice, dandy scale that shows you the exact f-stop and shutterspeed and variations at a glance.

Again, if you're thinking about the small, analog Sekonic, that's the L-208. I had one, dropped and wrecked it... and want to replace it. Should have done it a long time ago, but I ran into the Sekonic L-86 (a small, reliable, little selenium thing) and the L-38 Leader (nice, heavy but still very decent selenium meter), and got sidetracked. Life just happens some times...
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-23-2016   #3
giganova

Yes, I'm referring to the L-208.

I don't understand why you think the L-208 is faster/easier: on the L-208, you turn the wheel until the needles match. On the Digisix, you turn the wheel until two numbers (EV) match. Same thing!

> The Sekonic has a nice, dandy scale that shows you the exact f-stop and shutterspeed and variations at a glance.

Exact same thing as on the Digisix.

Old 03-23-2016   #4
michaelwj
----------------

First off, I've never used either.

I use an L398 Sekonic. I like it, except for one thing - The dial that you use to set the ISO can easily be bumped to a different setting when I take it in/out of my pocket. Sometimes I don't realise straight away, and when I do, it's annoying to have to set again. I can understand that it would be good if you wanted to contantly change ISO, by it's pretty fixed for the whole roll - I want it not to move. It looks like the 208 has the same setup.

For this reason alone, I'd go for the digisix where I believe you set the ISO with multiple button presses.

Old 03-23-2016   #5
Montag006

I have never used the Sekonic or any Sekonic for that matter.

However I do have a digisix and am more than happy with it.
I have noticed it can "go through " a "discount battery" quickly

Old 03-23-2016   #6
KM-25

I own one L-208 and two Digisix meters, pretty much all I use at this point. The digisix is my fave because of EV values and it is the smallest ( L-208 is a bit thicker ), battery lasts forever. The L-208 is nice too, all three meters are for dedicated systems, LF, MF and 35mm.

I use the L-208 with the LF gear because it is a good bit faster to change the ISO which pays off for sheet film varieties and speeds. The Digisix meters are faster in terms of reading because it just shows an EV number which is easy to learn over time, IE: EV12 is 1/250th @F4, EV6 is starting to get low at 1/30th @ F1.4.

Old 03-23-2016   #7
giganova

Is it true that the Digisix is always on?

Old 03-23-2016   #8
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Is it true that the Digisix is always on?
Yes, so when I am not using it I try to remember to put it in the clock mode. But even if I forget it seems to go through 2 maybe 3 batteries a year and I use it a LOT.

Old 03-23-2016   #9
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have L-208, which I purchased new very cheap on ebay. I have it now for two years. Still same battery.
Like 208 analog scale with apertures and shutter speeds. It is what I see on the camera and lens.

It is nice analog gadget. Perfect match for analog camera. I don't have digital clock on mechanical cameras. L-208 is in the style completely. It is like old exposure meters, no gimmicks. Accurate enough for indoors, on the street with lights, but doesn't work well under really low light where shutter speed is in minutes or for long exposures with pinhole apertures.

Cheers, Ko.

Old 03-23-2016   #10
FrankS

I have and prefer the twin mate, but the other one may be more sensitive to lower light levels.

photography makes me happy

Old 03-23-2016   #11
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I have and prefer the twin mate, but the other one may be more sensitive to lower light levels.
I think it is by about two stops and the fact it does not use a sometimes jumpy needle but reads digitally in 1/3rd stops makes it overall more accurate to me, the reason I favor it over the L-208.

Old 03-23-2016   #12
FrankS

Beyond functionality, it is also a question of style. Old school needle vs digital readout. Different people have different preferences.

Old 03-23-2016   #13
froyd

I much prefer the operation of the L-208 but I would prefer if it had the Digisix slimmer body. It also needs to be noted that the L-208 absolutely blows as a reflected light meter; I only use it for incident measurements.

Other than that, there are two upgrades for the L-208 that are essential in my book:

1) a retractable keychain: clip on the belt or camera strap and extend when a reading is needed.

2) This handy dandy EV chart posted by Joakim Malare on Photo.net. God bless his soul.

Old 03-23-2016   #14
FrankS

About that EV chart: What happens when you change film from 100 to 400 asa?

Old 03-23-2016   #15
Sonny Sichtstein
Mike in Sacramento

Quote:
I use a Digisix and leave it set on ISO 100 regardless of the film I'm shooting - and simply adjust by 2 stops for HP5+. But most of the time I estimate exposure, and always do that with ISO 100 in mind - EV 15 for bright sun, EV 13 for overcast, EV 11 for sunset, etc.

It works for me, but I recognize it might not work for everyone.
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner | Epson V600 scanner | Epson P600 printer

Old 03-23-2016   #16
FrankS

My standard is asa 400. I think exposure for this speed.

Old 03-23-2016   #17
KM-25

Quote:
My standard is asa 400. I think exposure for this speed.
Mine is Tmax 400 pushed a stop to 800 for the Leicas and Rolleiflex. For the Hasselblad system and large format it can be anywhere from ISO 1 to 400.

I'm usually able to extrapolate but on days where I am up super early and not quite awake, it is best that I set the meter.

Old 03-23-2016   #18
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
It is a LV chart - independent of film speed.

Old 03-23-2016   #19
Paul T.

I looked at the Digisix and bought the 208, which I find fantastically user-friendly. I sold my VC clipon meter once I started using the Sekonic. It's so simple and quick to use.

Old 03-23-2016   #20
maddoc
... likes film.

Forgot my Twin-Mate (L208) in a jeans pocket and it went through a complete wash cycle including spin drying, no problems after that.

flickr
pBase

Old 03-24-2016   #21
MikeL
Go Fish

If there was a way to disable the alarm-timer thingy that my pocket seemed to always turn on I woulda stayed with the digisix.

Old 03-24-2016   #22
Jockos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
If there was a way to disable the alarm-timer thingy that my pocket seemed to always turn on I woulda stayed with the digisix.
Sometimes I want to glue the function button in place. Why the hell did they put all the bloat in it? Seems it's never in the right mode to take a reading when I want to, because it shifts in the pocket.

OP: If you go for the digisix, put in a few coins more and get the digiflash. Never know when you want to do some studio work.

Da gallery

Old 03-24-2016   #23
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
OP: If you go for the digisix, put in a few coins more and get the digiflash. Never know when you want to do some studio work.
Good point!

Old 03-24-2016   #24
jmilkins
Digited User

happy with my digisix though lately it has seemed slow to react to button presses.... changed the battery but still slower than I recall in the past.

Agrees with my Minolta IVF for incident readings.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 03-24-2016   #25
ruby.monkey

Twinmate for quick operation; Digisix for low-light metering.

Two things I found with Twinates - they're very sensitive to knocks in certain directions (the meter needle will bend slightly and jam), and they love to pack pocket lint inside the incident metering dome, which is a bugger to clean out.

Old 03-24-2016   #26
lynnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Forgot my Twin-Mate (L208) in a jeans pocket and it went through a complete wash cycle including spin drying, no problems after that.
Does it meter the whites whiter?

Edit: I use an L-208 but haven't used a Digisix. My only gripes with the L-208 are its shape isn't all that pocket-friendly (due to its thickness) and it's easy to move the iso and match needle wheels when taking it out of a bag or pocket. I find it reliable and very easy to use.
Flickr

Old 03-24-2016   #27
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I recall having gone out in a walk with a friend who used a Digisix, and he showed me the EV and the conversion thing he had to do. He liked it. I wasn't too crazy about it. Now, that was about 10 years ago, so my memory may be at fault.

In any event, for what you want, I'd go for the L-208. Now, if you wanted an overwhelming "go for the Digisix" reaction... that's another story. I'd go for the Twin-Master any day because of its simplicity.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 03-24-2016   #28
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
I recall having gone out in a walk with a friend who used a Digisix, and he showed me the EV and the conversion thing he had to do. He liked it. I wasn't too crazy about it. Now, that was about 10 years ago, so my memory may be at fault.

In any event, for what you want, I'd go for the L-208. Now, if you wanted an overwhelming "go for the Digisix" reaction... that's another story. I'd go for the Twin-Master any day because of its simplicity.

It's a matter of perception though, once you learn EV values it is likely faster to use that direct reading rather than match the needle up. Like I said before I have and use both meters but greatly favor the Digisix for several reasons, the main one being that it instantly gives me a bomber EV reading in 1/3 stop increments and I don't have to even move the dial around to find the aperture / shutter speed combo if I don't want to, I know what EV 10, 12, 14, etc is by heart now.

And a word about the Digiflash, I had one and while the flash meter part was nice, for some odd reason it chewed through batteries like nobody's business so I sold it to get another Digisix.

I should probably just sell the L-208 and get a third Digisix, I like it that much.

Old 03-24-2016   #29
FPjohn

The dial on the DigiSix gives the EV equivalent shutter/f stop combinations. Matching the EV setting can be in one hand . FPJ

Old 03-25-2016   #30
Alpsman

Cant vote. Have both of em, use both of em, like both of em.

Old 03-25-2016   #31
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I have a little Visitor that I use - I can't remember the model. When I say little I mean really little. Looks to be about half the size, at most, of the L208. I'll dig it out later and post the model and size.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 03-25-2016   #32
C Jensen

I bought the DigiSix for my Hasselblads. I have the old C lens and I can take the EV # and instantly transfer that # to my lens. I have a couple of old German cameras that also have the EV system for the lens.

Old 03-25-2016   #33
froyd

Quote:
Sorry, just getting to this now.

The EV chart hack for the L-208 makes it so when you push the button, the red hand points to the EV of the scene. Matching it with the green arrow, will give you F-stop and shutter speed combinations at a given ISO.

In the example above, 250/5.6 is one of the combinations that would give a good exposure at EV13. Now, this is the chart comes in handy, a cloud moves overhead and blocks the sun. I take another reading, and the red hand swings to EV 12. Without having to rotate the dial, I can quickly know that I can alter my original aperture by two stops and be good to go (e.g. 125/4; 60/5.6; etc.).

Might not sound like much when described, but it's very practical when out and about... it's also a great tool to train your eye to detect light changes in EV increments.

Old 03-25-2016   #34
rodinal
film user

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
In the example above, 250/5.6 is one of the combinations that would give a good exposure at EV13. Now, this is the chart comes in handy, a cloud moves overhead and blocks the sun. I take another reading, and the red hand swings to EV 12. Without having to rotate the dial, I can quickly know that I can alter my original aperture by two stops and be good to go (e.g. 125/4; 60/5.6; etc.).
Two stops from EV13 to EV12 ?

I use both the Sekonic ant the Gossen and both are good enough.
The Gossen eats its battery (CR2032) very quickly, a couple of months in the bag and the battery is gone. The Sekonic has another little advantage nobody has mentioned yet, the stripes on its scale indicate the reading angle of the cell.

Is the styling what makes the Sekonic more attractive for me.

Old 03-26-2016   #35
PrestonR

I looked at buying either of these meters a couple years ago. I ended up buying a used sekonic L-518 (digital readout) for 50 dollars and it has never given me a problem.

Old 03-26-2016   #36
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
It's a matter of perception though, once you learn EV values it is likely faster to use that direct reading rather than match the needle up. Like I said before I have and use both meters but greatly favor the Digisix for several reasons, the main one being that it instantly gives me a bomber EV reading in 1/3 stop increments and I don't have to even move the dial around to find the aperture / shutter speed combo if I don't want to, I know what EV 10, 12, 14, etc is by heart now.
The major difference between the L-208 and Digisix in normal use is how you get the aperture and shutter speed scales aligned. The scholarship on human factors engineering is conclusive that it is faster to visually match a needle than to see a number and transfer it to a second scale. And the L-208's wheel is thin on the edge and has more friction in it. It's just less fun to use, thought it does feel more compact and durable than the Sekonic. The Gossen's LCD is also less legible in low light than the stark needle readout of the Sekonic. But when people talk about low-light capability, I just reach for my direct-read L-358.

As to memorizing EV value combinations, it's an interesting idea. And certainly a fun parlor trick at a Rollei MX-EVS theme party in the late 1950s.

Dante

Old 03-26-2016   #37
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
I have a little Visitor that I use - I can't remember the model. When I say little I mean really little. Looks to be about half the size, at most, of the L208. I'll dig it out later and post the model and size.
I can't find a model number. It's reflected only, shows both EV and direct settings. Dimensions are about 3"x3"X1.25" including accessory shoe foot.

It seems to be very accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1254575203.jpg (18.2 KB, 19 views)

Old 03-26-2016   #38
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
I can't find a model number. It's reflected only, shows both EV and direct settings. Dimensions are about 3"x3"X1.25" including accessory shoe foot. It seems to be very accurate.
Search seems to indicate that this is a Model 24 variant. The original took mercury batteries, mine takes silver 76.

Old 03-27-2016   #39
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Search seems to indicate that this is a Model 24 variant.
The original took mercury batteries, mine takes silver 76.
The Vivitar 24 CdS is a nice little meter.
Mine read accurately with a 1.5V silver cell (44/76/357).
This models sensor has a surprisingly narrow field of view
compared to other similar small light meters I've owned.

Chris

Old 03-27-2016   #40
skibeerr

I had the Twinmate and like LynnB the iso wheel gave me grief.

Finally I settled on a Sekonic L308-s,which is small enough and handles great.