Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Voigtlander Lenses and Images

Voigtlander Lenses and Images Post threads showing images from Cosina Voigtlander Leica mount lenses here.

NEW Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical III VM
Old 02-19-2020   #1
padam

NEW Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical III VM

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigt...1_2/index.html

Focal length: 35mm
Aperture ratio: 1: 1.2
Minimum aperture: F22
Lens construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
Angle of view: 61.53 į
Number of aperture blades: 12
Minimum focusing distance: 0.5m
Rangefinder coupled: ∞ to 0.7m (depending on camera)
Maximum diameter x Overall length: 60.8 x 50.5mm
Filter size : 52mm
Weight: 332g
Lens hood: Bayonet type (sold separately: LH-8)

Suggested retail price: 135,000 yen (excluding tax)
Optional hood (LH-8) Suggested retail price: 12,000 yen (excluding tax)

Much smaller and lighter than the previous versions while promising the same level of optical quality, which will be very welcomed.
Mounted on the camera:

Old 02-19-2020   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Very good size for such lens. Adaptable for focus tab shape.

Old 02-19-2020   #3
blan01

This is a very nice update from Cosina, the new version weights 332g, which is pretty close to the Summilux FLE (320g). The size is still a bit larger(60.8 x 50.5mm VM vs 56 x 46 Lux FLE) but should be much more manageable than before.

Old 02-19-2020   #4
WJJ3

Interesting update to this lens. 20% length reduction, 30% weight reduction. I wonder what will be next from them in 35mm? After their announcement of the new 21mm f1.4 Nokton with floating elements, I was wondering if they will put floating elements in a fast 35mm...

Cosina continuing to release excellent, practical VM mount lenses that regular people can afford is great. Keep up the good work Cosina.

Flickr

Old 02-19-2020   #5
padam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Interesting update to this lens. 20% length reduction, 30% weight reduction. I wonder what will be next from them in 35mm?
I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7, 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm, 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.

Old 02-19-2020   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by padam View Post
I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.
35 PII 2.5 VM. Now it is complete.

Old 02-19-2020   #7
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by blan01 View Post
This is a very nice update from Cosina, the new version weights 332g, which is pretty close to the Summilux FLE (320g). The size is still a bit larger(60.8 x 50.5mm VM vs 56 x 46 Lux FLE) but should be much more manageable than before.
Do you know if Leica and Voigtlander measure lenses from the same point? As I recall, some measure total length while others measure from the top of the flange. In any event, Voigtlander has an impressive lineup of f/1.2 lenses -- 35mm, 40mm, and 50mm.

Old 02-19-2020   #8
raid
Dad Photographer

There is also the Made in China replica of the V1 Summicron 35/2. Also an interesting lens.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-19-2020   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

For most cases (for me), I need max aperture 2.0. In rare cases I need a 1.4 aperture.
In extremely rare cases do I need a max aperture of 1.2.

Old 02-19-2020   #10
Huss

All Cosina now needs to do is introduce a digital Zeiss Ikon ZM. With hybrid OVF/EVF.

Old 02-19-2020   #11
steveyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
For most cases (for me), I need max aperture 2.0. In rare cases I need a 1.4 aperture.
In extremely rare cases do I need a max aperture of 1.2.
Super fast glass is nice, if only for creative purposes, allowing you to play with depth of field, but historically you pay such a high penalty in size and weight, and cost, to the point that the lenses are unpractical. See e.g., Noctilux. These new Voigtlanders, however, have made f/1.2 practical, somewhat.

Old 02-19-2020   #12
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
I think the 35mm lineup is complete now, 35/1.2 III 35/1.4 II, 35/1.7, 35/2 and there is the ZM Distagon 35/1.4 for those who are willing to pay for no distortion with floating elements.
It will be a long time before we see yet another 35mm lens from them, 24mm, 28mm or 50mm are more likely choices.
The 35/1.7 is discontinued.

Stephen

Old 02-19-2020   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

I have a feeling that the 35/1.7 was a CV "super lens".

Old 02-19-2020   #14
zenza

Would really love to see Cosina release a small and fast 24/25mm lens. Something in the F2 neighborhood would be awesome. Not sure how small they'd be able to keep it...but there's a pretty big jump in size from their 25mm F4 to anything faster. They have a ton of 21mm options but nothing between 21mm and 28mm.

Old 02-19-2020   #15
Michalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
All Cosina now needs to do is introduce a digital Zeiss Ikon ZM. With hybrid OVF/EVF.
Oh yes , there is plenty of capable cameras on the market , but not that many fun cameras. If only Fuji Xpro series was full frame with less buttons on the body I would be all over it, 3 layered sensor would be also welcome bonus.

Old 02-19-2020   #16
Larry H-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
If Sony made the A7iii with an M mount and thin sensor cover glass, $ 1995, I'd be at the front of the line.

Old 02-19-2020   #17
Bendj

Hopefully this will play nicely with non leica mirrorless sensors as I could see myself using this for video and stills. The version II was OK from memory.

Old 02-19-2020   #18
zenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.hayek View Post
If pigs could fly....
The only camera company to have done something like that was Ricoh. Sony is into selling its own lenses and wonít go to the expense of a limited run of sensors with thin enough cover glass.

Am a bit surprised that with the real new interest in analog that Cosina hasnít jumped into the fray with updated Bessas, both 135 and 120. They made both recently enough that they have the expertise and machinery.
I do wonder if they could make a cheap, plastic Bessa R again but in M-mount and if so...how much it would be.

Old 02-19-2020   #19
WJJ3

Quote:
Overflowing with great options might be a better way to describe their VM lens lineup.

I think itís reasonable to expect they could still develop and release a high spec 35mm f1.4 with floating elements. The update to the 35mm f1.2 appears to be them carrying advanced designs they developed for the 40mm and 50mm f1.2s over to the 9 year old 35mm f1.2 V2, rather than an all new lens. If recent patterns are any indication, they will release the E mount 50mm f2 APO Lanthar in VM mount soon, and if we are lucky, an all new high spec 35mm f1.4 that is smaller than the ZM Distagon, and a fraction of the price of the 35mm f1.4 Summilux FLE within a year or two...

Flickr

Old 02-20-2020   #20
Archiver

Very interesting announcement. Was the V2 better than the V1 wide open? I use the V1 a fair bit, but find the soft glow at f1.2 a bit annoying sometimes, especially when the recent 40mm and 50mm f1.2 lenses seem to be very sharp and not glowy. Will the V3 be more like the new 40 and 50 in this regard?

It's a real shame that the Ultron 35/1.7 M is discontinued. I'm a huge fan of the LTM version and would love to try out the later M version. Do they intend to replace it with something else, or is Cosina trimming their lines?

Old 02-20-2020   #21
derekuu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
It's a real shame that the Ultron 35/1.7 M is discontinued. I'm a huge fan of the LTM version and would love to try out the later M version. Do they intend to replace it with something else, or is Cosina trimming their lines?
I'm guessing the 35mm 1.7 Ultron was replaced with the new smaller F2 Ultron.

If the sharpness and rendering of this lens is good, Voigtlander did a great job with this lens. Biggest complaint of the old one was the size/weight.

Old 02-21-2020   #22
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekuu2 View Post
I'm guessing the 35mm 1.7 Ultron was replaced with the new smaller F2 Ultron.

If the sharpness and rendering of this lens is good, Voigtlander did a great job with this lens. Biggest complaint of the old one was the size/weight.

I'm tossing up whether to shoot at a wedding tomorrow with the f1.2 v1 or the f1.4 MC. I somewhat prefer the rendering of the v1, but definitely prefer the lighter weight of the f1.4. I've just messed up the focus of my f1.7 LTM by attempting to tighten the loose aperture ring, so I'm back to the f1.2 and f1.4 now.