New IBERIT M-mount Lenses
Old 12-06-2015   #1
WJJ3

New IBERIT M-mount Lenses

Brand new M-mount lens line to start hitting Japanese shelves next year. Anyone else as surprised and interested as I am? 2.4/90 with 0.7 meter close focus? About $500? Yes please!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...07_734054.html

Flickr

Old 12-07-2015   #2
k__43
Registered Film User

they seem to fancy f/2.4 eh?

Old 12-07-2015   #3
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Funnily enough, this is, in the end, a German firm:

http://www.handevision.jp/

OSD Optic System Development GmbH
Leitenweg 17 / 94116 Hutthurm / Deutschland

jaapvphotography

Old 12-07-2015   #4
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by k__43 View Post
they seem to fancy f/2.4 eh?
Summarit inspired it seems. The 90 is very similar in size. Minus 2 elements though. We can't expect them to compete with the Summarits optically, but it will be interesting to see how real world performance is. It looks like they aren't skimping on build quality, sporting textured metal focus ring instead of Summarit's textured rubber...

Flickr

Old 12-07-2015   #5
k__43
Registered Film User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post

one of the founders runs this business so they seem to know their **** -
http://ibe-optics.com

Old 12-07-2015   #6
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post

The story gets even more interesting:

HandeVisionの由来は、中国を意味する漢(Han)とドイツを意味するDEを掛け合わせたもので す。

Han for China, and De for Germany. HandeVision appears to be a collaboration between the German firm IB/E Optics and the Chinese firm Kipon...

Flickr

Old 12-07-2015   #7
k__43
Registered Film User

hence the name IBErit

Old 12-07-2015   #8
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

And OSD is located in a very nice luxury villa, swimming pool and all, close to Passau, the border crossing between Germany and Austria. No web presence. Obviously a letterbox firm.

Surprise, btw. One of IBE customers is Panasonic. Another Jenoptik (remember, they were involved in the software side of M8 and M9)
It is a small world.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-07-2015   #9
B-9
Devin Bro

They look really good!

The concerning bit, the large 49mm filter size...

We can be certain that these lenses will not be a compact alternative.

Still, the 24 and 35 lenses are tempting at the projected price range.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-07-2015   #10
jkjod

I'm very interested in that 24mm!

Old 12-07-2015   #11
mfogiel

I think the brand name is very unfortunate, as it brings in mind the infamous mustard gas first used by the Germans during WWI.
As to the lenses, we shall see...

Old 12-07-2015   #12
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
Han for China, and De for Germany. HandeVision appears to be a collaboration between the German firm IB/E Optics and the Chinese firm Kipon...
A quick check reveals that the brand is owned by the large German mail oder/online store Walser (see http://www.walser.de/brands/). IB/E may be behind the design (hence IBERIT), and Kipon may do the production. Walser are the biggest German seller of re-branded ("Walimex") Chinese imports - even if this new line should be a cut above their regular line-up, they'll probably target a affordable price. Their stuff often is good, for the price, but not supposed to be the best that money can buy...

But that said, their IBELUX 40/0,85 (which has been out some time) was expensive, and got rather devastating reviews (in anything other than the rags that mostly depend on Walser ads) - a bit underwhelming for a 1800€ lens, even if it supposedly is the fastest in the world. Even Steve Huff hated it, and he impressed me as hard to displease with any new gadget...

Old 12-07-2015   #13
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
I think the brand name is very unfortunate, as it brings in mind the infamous mustard gas first used by the Germans during WWI.
I had to look it up, you mean it sounds a little like Yperite. To me it isn't even close: Iberit sounds like it comes from the Iberian peninsula, Ypres (and therefore Yperite) has a completely different look and feel to me.

I'm wondering why they write IBERITE with all capitals...

Old 12-07-2015   #14
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Are you talking about Yperite?
Edit: All right, you seem to ...

Old 12-07-2015   #15
fer_fdi

I find them huge...

but if they render in a special way...

Old 12-08-2015   #16
Tijmendal
Young photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
I find them huge...

but if they render in a special way...
Yeah; they sure look big. And then there's the awful gigantic letters on the lens. Such a shame. Front-ring is really ugly too.

Old 12-08-2015   #17
rscheffler

At this link it looks like only six aperture blades for the 35-75mm lenses. Ten for the 90. The 24 isn't included in the chart.

The M lenses will also have a minimum focusing distance of the RF standard 70cm, with a different focus throw than the Sony FE mount versions, which all have shorter minimum focusing distances. It would be nice, at least with the shorter focal lengths, to have the nearer range on the M lenses too. Obviously not RF coupled, but useful for live view use.

Given the M mount lenses will be RF coupled, I wonder how much more expensive they will be than the Sony mount lenses? Might be to the point where there isn't significant difference between getting a used Leica Summarit vs. one of these.

Old 12-08-2015   #18
Range-rover

I would like to get the 24mm for my Leica, it looks like a good to me.

Old 12-08-2015   #19
squirrel$$$bandit

Did anyone else click through to that 40mm f/0.85 for mirrorless? WTH!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/001.jpg.html

Old 12-08-2015   #20
splitimageview

samples here of the 40mm

Old 12-08-2015   #21
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Well, that 85 for APS-C is more expensive than the Tele_Tessar ZM for FF with the same specs. (1800-2100 Euro) It seems that those hoping for a cheap alternative are hoping in vain...

jaapvphotography

Old 12-08-2015   #22
Addy101

What 85mm lens? I see a 75mm and a 90mm lens. Did you by any change misread the 40mm f/0.85 lens for a 85mm f/4 lens?

Old 12-08-2015   #23
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quite possible EOA. doesn't change the price though... Nor the size.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-08-2015   #24
raid
Dad Photographer

So it is not for $500 ..... ?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

$ ?
Old 12-08-2015   #25
FPjohn

$ ?

Prices?

yours
FPJ

Old 12-08-2015   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

I see $500 being mentioned in the first post, and then I see Jaap mentioning 2000 Euros. Hm. I guess, it depends on which lens you mean.

Old 12-08-2015   #27
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I see $500 being mentioned in the first post, and then I see Jaap mentioning 2000 Euros. Hm. I guess, it depends on which lens you mean.
The 2000€ 40/0.85 has been around for a year or two - but it got so-so reviews, and Sony pretty much killed it by releasing their FF mirrorless cameras in the same time frame - which drew a large segment of potential customers for high price APS-C primes into another format.

The new lenses are slower, more affordable and cover FF...

Old 12-08-2015   #28
raid
Dad Photographer

This makes sense. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2015   #29
SuperUJ

Quote:
The story gets even more interesting:

HandeVisionの由来は、中国を意味する漢(Han)とドイツを意味するDEを掛け合わせたもので す。

The following comment applies not to Will's comments above, but to whoever came up with the explanation ... "'Han' means China in Mandarin and 'De' is the abbreviation for Deutschland – which means Germany" that I have seen elsewhere on the Internet.

Let's get it straight ... putting an equal sign between "Han" and "China" has the same effect as calling the United States of America "White" or "Caucasian." Besides Han, there are currently over 50 ethnic minority groups living in the Mainland China. To make things worse, a number of these minority groups are being marginalized by the totalitarian regime.

And to look at this from a different perspective, I am an American with a heritage of Han, culturally and ethnically. Similar to this example, there are over 50 million oversea Chinese not living in the Mainland China.

So, I do NOT see it as a small mistake, isolated incident or unintentional. Between 50 million oversea Chinese and 120 million non-Han minority groups people living in the Mainland China, HandeVision made an error that mischaracterized over 170 million people globally, which is about the same number of people in Pakistan, the sixth most populated country of the world. Sadly, this is only one of the many many "errors" similar to this I have seen lately in different places.

John

Old 12-08-2015   #30
Jockos

It'd seem that the 50mm is larger than the lux asph:
L55mm D58mm
L53mm D54mm

A shame, I'm on the lookout for a compact 50mm that can focus to .7m. The 90mm with .7m focus seems interesting though!

Da gallery

Old 12-08-2015   #31
Fuchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
It'd seem that the 50mm is larger than the lux asph:
L55mm D58mm
L53mm D54mm

A shame, I'm on the lookout for a compact 50mm that can focus to .7m. The 90mm with .7m focus seems interesting though!
The Summarit-M 50/2.4 (and the 2.5) both focus at 0.8m. Their list price is higher though
My flickr

Old 12-08-2015   #32
daveleo
what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Did anyone else click through to that 40mm f/0.85 for mirrorless? WTH!

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dc...l/001.jpg.html
Isn't that an unusually large length / diameter design for a 40mm, very fast lens?
I would expect more diameter or less length.
Possibly this is a radical optical design??

Old 12-08-2015   #33
jenhao

Agreed. A really bad name for a lens, especially if you understand the derivation.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUJ View Post
The following comment applies not to Will's comments above, but to whoever came up with the explanation ... "'Han' means China in Mandarin and 'De' is the abbreviation for Deutschland – which means Germany" that I have seen elsewhere on the Internet.

Let's get it straight ... putting an equal sign between "Han" and "China" has the same effect as calling the United States of America "White" or "Caucasian." Besides Han, there are currently over 50 ethnic minority groups living in the Mainland China. To make things worse, a number of these minority groups are being marginalized by the totalitarian regime.

And to look at this from a different perspective, I am an American with a heritage of Han, culturally and ethnically. Similar to this example, there are over 50 million oversea Chinese not living in the Mainland China.

So, I do NOT see it as a small mistake, isolated incident or unintentional. Between 50 million oversea Chinese and 120 million non-Han minority groups people living in the Mainland China, HandeVision made an error that mischaracterized over 170 million people globally, which is about the same number of people in Pakistan, the sixth most populated country of the world. Sadly, this is only one of the many many "errors" similar to this I have seen lately in different places.

John

Old 12-09-2015   #34
Addy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhao View Post
Agreed. A really bad name for a lens, especially if you understand the derivation.

Mark
You should blame the people over at Kipon, as they are Chinese and should know the sensitivities of that name, I assume. Kipon is the only one who claims the Han part stands for China, it isn't mentioned on the English or German Handevision sites.

Of course Han also is a Chinese dynasty that sometimes is considered to represent a golden age in Chinese history - maybe they wanted to make a link with that?

Old 12-09-2015   #35
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleo View Post
Isn't that an unusually large length / diameter design for a 40mm, very fast lens?
I would expect more diameter or less length.
Possibly this is a radical optical design??
It is a design for APS-C mirrorless cameras. If I remember the schematics right, it is a very telecentric design, with the rear element quite far from the mount.

Old 12-09-2015   #36
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUJ View Post

John
Thanks for your comments John. Glad to see someone shed some light on this sensitive issue, and can't help feeling a little dissapointed in myself for not being aware of the issue when I posted.

I wonder if there are any simmilar issues with De?

Flickr

Old 12-09-2015   #37
SuperUJ

Quote:
Thanks for your comments John. Glad to see someone shed some light on this sensitive issue, and can't help feeling a little dissapointed in myself for not being aware of the issue when I posted.

I wonder if there are any simmilar issues with De?
Hi Will,

As a Leica M shooter, I was ecstatic to learn about the new M glasses. Especially at first glance, the company looks like someone in Germany (who seems to know what they are doing) takes care of the design (hopefully original designs). So long the workers who produce the lens are not being exploited, the joint venture and its parent companies are ethical on its business practices and environmentally conscious, I see no reason to dislike the new products at this point, particularly they offer cheaper alternatives to the market. We will have to wait and see the quality of its products, though.

One of the beautiful things of forums like this, is the sharing of knowledge/ experience on photography, and other related matters. And this thread is a great example for that in many regards. With many people knowingly and unknowingly influenced by all kinds of "soft power" these days, I appreciate you brought up the topic in the first place so different points of view can be shared. I personally found most folks in RFF are very reasonable, more so than many photo forums on the Internet.

I did not see anything wrong about the company name on itself. It's the intent (official explanation) behind it complicated by the recent human rights records of the Mainland China. The English version of its press release could have said it's about the Han people or its language, or the Han dynasty (202 BC – 220 AD) as Addy101 suggested. However, that wasn't what HandeVision chose to use. There is a Confucius saying literally: "legitimate name, smooth wording" roughly means "once one gets the right name (legitimacy), their actions/ claims are generally justifiable." Marketing folks in Shanghai at Kipon should know better.

Thanks,

John

Iberit 35mm 2.4 or 24mm 2.4 for Leica M or SL mount
Old 01-16-2017   #38
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Iberit 35mm 2.4 or 24mm 2.4 for Leica M or SL mount

Found it online here today, no link to seller but thought that some of you who have it all still need something else to spend money on...

http://stores.ebay.com/Adapter-World...sid=1042731337

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 01-16-2017   #39
Bille

Your link is leading nowhere.

Old 01-16-2017   #40
squirrel$$$bandit

Link works for me. Quite curious about these!