Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Could we purge "Sold" sponsor ads?
Old 06-03-2018   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Could we purge "Sold" sponsor ads?

Would it be possible to purge all of the sponsor ads that are marked "Sold"? It kind of clutters things up.*

*And, I am tired of being taunted by a $2K Linhof Technorama 617 that found a new home long ago.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2018   #2
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Are forum sponsors paying to keep this forum free for me?
Please let them advertise that way, it doesn't hurt a thing.

Old 06-03-2018   #3
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Are forum sponsors paying to keep this forum free for me?
Please let them advertise that way, it doesn't hurt a thing.

Its silly to have ads for things that are no longer for sale. That doesn't benefit the advertisers or RFF members who want to buy from them.

Old 06-03-2018   #4
Hogarth Ferguson

Agreed. Both about taking the completed ads down and also being taunted by that camera.

Old 06-03-2018   #5
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Free Technoramas for the taunted ones!

����

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 06-04-2018   #6
CMur12

I would say to leave them up at least until the buyer has had a chance to leave feedback. I find it frustrating when an ad is pulled as soon as the purchase is made. (Not sure if there is any difference between ads from sponsors and from individual forum members in this regard.)

- Murray

Old 06-04-2018   #7
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
I would say to leave them up at least until the buyer has had a chance to leave feedback. I find it frustrating when an ad is pulled as soon as the purchase is made. (Not sure if there is any difference between ads from sponsors and from individual forum members in this regard.)

- Murray
Some of these ads have been up for YEARS after the item sold!

Old 06-04-2018   #8
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Some of these ads have been up for YEARS after the item sold!
Yup - and (in my view) it doesn't create a good impression. Makes it look as though there's no activity or someone can't be bothered to maintain things - both of which aren't true.

John

Old 06-04-2018   #9
Larry Cloetta

I will click on an ad for some particularly desirable and rare-ish item and find it was sold several years ago. Worse than that, after a year or so, I forget, get all excited again, and click on it a second time. Taunting seems the only explanation for this kind of cruelty.

Old 06-04-2018   #10
css9450

Quote:
I would say to leave them up at least until the buyer has had a chance to leave feedback. I find it frustrating when an ad is pulled as soon as the purchase is made.
I agree 100%. Its almost always difficult to leave feedback for someone if the ad is gone already and they don't have any other ads to get me to their "Feedback" page. Yes, I know there's a correct way to do it but there's a lot of trial and error to find it.

Old 06-04-2018   #11
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

So the free users of this forum want to kick the paying sponsor's sold ads off their tiny section of the classifieds?
You should be glad RFF doesn't have pop-up advertising on every page. Let's just kick paying sponsors off RFF all together and go to a paying-user basis. Yeah, that's what I want.
Is it just too hard to ignore the sponsor's ads?

Old 06-04-2018   #12
Steve M.

It looks like the maximum amount of time you can run your ad maxes out at 1 year (which is sorta crazy, but no big deal). However, I have no idea if an ad actually expires at that time, that's just the maximum amount of time given on the listing criteria ck boxes.

I like the sold ads. What would be even better is if the sellers wouldn't remove the sold price on most of them, so I can moan and berate myself for missing out on that $600 'blad :[

Old 06-04-2018   #13
NaChase

Not to mention all the sponsors have banners on the homepage of the site.

RF Cameras: Leica M2, Leica M3, Leica M5, Leica M6, Mamiya 7II,
RF Lenses:
75mm Summilux, 50mm DR Summicron, 50mm "Millennium" Nikkor, 35mm Zeiss Distagon 1.4, 35mm 2.8 Summaron, Mamiya 43mm, Mamiya 80mm, Mamiya 150mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/film_is...ong_live_film/

Old 06-04-2018   #14
Out to Lunch

It doesn't bother me.

Old 06-04-2018   #15
ellisson

Quote:

- Murray
Agree it would be good to allow the buyer a chance to evaluate the item after it arrives. Not all buyers leave feedback, but all would like the option of returning an item that does not meet their expectations. A period of 2-4 weeks seems reasonable to me for buyer and seller to work out a solution.

If no problems with the sale after 2-4 weeks (or a similar time frame), I'd consider it final and pull the ad.

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 06-04-2018   #16
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

The feedback argument makes no sense. User ads disappear immediately after they are marked "Sold." If anything, user ads should stay up for a little while - but sponsors are known quantities. So why would we care if their stuff goes bye-bye?

The other thing is that sponsor ads seem to rotate, which means that all these sold items choke out or obscure the things that are actually for sale. That's not helpful.

Also, sometimes when people are hung up on price histories, they want to use that as an excuse (to sellers) for why they should pay 2010 used prices for an Xpan in 2018, for example. The market price of something is what a buyer and a seller agree on at the time of sale (unless principles of micro econ have changed), not what someone sold to someone else under unknown conditions years ago.

If you want price history for cleared sales, the auction site has plenty, with better sample sizes, far more searchably than here.

D

Old 06-05-2018   #17
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Lemme get this straight. So there's actually guys here that feel this ad for pre-ordering Nikon SP Rapidwinders should stay up since it was a Sponsors ad in 2009, even though Tom A cannot be PM'd anymore, and was the Nikon SP Rapidwinder even ever produced?

At least the Technorama ad was removed already

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |