Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Nobody there
Old 06-29-2018   #1
Roger Hicks

Nobody there

...is the title of the newest piece on my .eu site. And alas, too many on this forum won't be at Arles, where there is no danger of freezing to death next week (link to weather forecast). For a handy reference, 38C is 100F and 30C is the low 80s...

I know some people object to my linking to articles on my site(s) but hey, they're free, and who seriously expects me to post 2000 words and 10 pictures in one post on this forum? Who would read it? What are YOUR pictures of "people who aren't there"?

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #2
robert blu
quiet photographer

A good series Roger, I'm oft impressed by your ability to create interesting stories around your pictures. As for me because I do not like so much the strong sun the "compact" is the only possibility in your well done series :-)

Ciao, robert
PS: see you in Arles

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-29-2018   #3
Steve M.

Tried three different browsers. First link in post unable to reach. Second link displays all jumbled up, and all links there are not working for me. Guess there's......nobody there :[

Old 06-29-2018   #4
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Thanks. I like that you link to your site, the whole point of the net is to "get around" isn't it?

Old 06-29-2018   #5
Out to Lunch

Stop being a cheapskate pushing your Patreon business on RFF. If at all, it belongs in the classifieds section.

Old 06-29-2018   #6
NickTrop

Love the concept, the pictures (ooh those colors -- perfect!), fun read, and have bookemarked your site. You have inspired me to try this!

Old 06-29-2018   #7
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Well done, Roger. I have a series of empty chair photos that also reminds me of the absence of people.

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 06-29-2018   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I have no objections to read OP articles on different stes and yak about them here.

30+ C wave is comming here, well, already for two days and for few more.
And in occupied by Russia Ukrainian territory where Donezk and Donbas it is +40 С in the shadow today.

Old 06-29-2018   #9
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

I know some people object to my linking to articles on my site(s) but hey, they're free, and who seriously expects me to post 2000 words and 10 pictures in one post on this forum? Who would read it? What are YOUR pictures of "people who aren't there"?

Cheers,

R.
1. They're not free to the owner of this site who has to pay for hosting RFF.
That you are mooching off

2. Who would read it? The same people that would read it over there.

For all those who think this is acceptable behaviour stop and think for a minute. All that Hicks is doing here is using this site to drive business to his site.
If you like his work, fine. Bookmark his site and visit it as often as you like. But encouraging this behaviour - riding on the work of Steven who pays for this site is rude and boorish.

Want to use this site for the intention of promoting yourself? Pay for an ad in the classifieds.

Old 06-29-2018   #10
Bill Clark

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the link.

Always enjoy reading articles that you publish.

Old 06-29-2018   #11
NickTrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

For all those who think this is acceptable behaviour stop and think for a minute. All that Hicks is doing here is using this site to drive business to his site.
If you like his work, fine. Bookmark his site and visit it as often as you like. But encouraging this behaviour - riding on the work of Steven who pays for this site is rude and boorish.

Want to use this site for the intention of promoting yourself? Pay for an ad in the classifieds.
Please. You're being ridiculous. Links and linkbacks happen all the time. I didn't even know it's a commercial site and preferred to read the text along with the photos. The notion that this costs anything is just silly. If anything, posting a link to these pictures saved server space. Whatever costs associated with RFF would be the same with/without said link, which was in no way positioned as an ad.

Old 06-29-2018   #12
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Stop being a cheapskate pushing your Patreon business on RFF. If at all, it belongs in the classifieds section.
Dear Peter,

Who is being the cheapskate here? I who give stuff away and make a modest plea for support, or you who want everything for free?

If you don't want to become a patron on Patreon, DON'T.

If Stephen wants me to stop, I will. Otherwise I'll take the positive responses in preference to yours.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #13
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
A good series Roger, I'm oft impressed by your ability to create interesting stories around your pictures. As for me because I do not like so much the strong sun the "compact" is the only possibility in your well done series :-)

Ciao, robert
PS: see you in Arles
Dear Robert,

For me, stories are what photography is often about.

Looking forward to seeing you! Barring mishap, there outside the hotel on Monday evening!

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #14
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

To borrow your own words, "stop and think for a minute". And look at my reply to Peter. Or Nick's post.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #15
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
Tried three different browsers. First link in post unable to reach. Second link displays all jumbled up, and all links there are not working for me. Guess there's......nobody there :[
Dear Steve,

Oh, dear. I'll have to ask Tsohost what's going wrong.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #16
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
Thanks. I like that you link to your site, the whole point of the net is to "get around" isn't it?
Dear David,

And thank you too. As for the underline, you and I might think so. But others seem to think I'm committing armed robbery.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #17
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Love the concept, the pictures (ooh those colors -- perfect!), fun read, and have bookemarked your site. You have inspired me to try this!
Dear Nick,

Thanks. Encouraging others is what it's about. If they feel like becoming patrons on Patreon, that's great. If not, I find it hard to see what I have stolen from either them or Stephen (whose name I can at least spell) via the .eu site.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #18
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Well done, Roger. I have a series of empty chair photos that also reminds me of the absence of people.
Dear Joe,

YES!

You have seen, I take it, The Secret Life of Chairs.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #19
JP Owens

I like the photos. I've had a long running personal photo project trying to illustrate the emptiness of places once occupied by people now gone that I have known, but have failed miserably at doing so. You've succeeded very well.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 06-29-2018   #20
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the link.

Always enjoy reading articles that you publish.
Dear Bill,

Thanks. And I like reading your stuff too.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #21
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
I like the photos. I've had a long running personal photo project trying to illustrate the emptiness of places once occupied by people now gone that I have known, but have failed miserably at doing so. You've succeeded very well.
Thanks. Where can we see yours? Get them in front of us! Projects are important and usually (though it has to be said not always) worth seeing. Often they need captions as well. Fine, no problem: Secret Life of Chairs again. The pictures are much weaker without.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #22
ptpdprinter

Quote:
I know some people object to my linking to articles on my site(s) but hey, they're free, and who seriously expects me to post 2000 words and 10 pictures in one post on this forum? Who would read it? What are YOUR pictures of "people who aren't there"?.
Here we go again. Why don't you post your photography articles here on RFF and provide a link to RFF on your site? Or give up your dedicated forum here.

Old 06-29-2018   #23
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTrop View Post
Please. You're being ridiculous. Links and linkbacks happen all the time. I didn't even know it's a commercial site and preferred to read the text along with the photos. The notion that this costs anything is just silly. If anything, posting a link to these pictures saved server space. Whatever costs associated with RFF would be the same with/without said link, which was in no way positioned as an ad.
Dear Nick,

Largely because rogerandfrances.eu ISN'T commercial.

There's a (free) short story on the .eu site which deals to some extent with how we pay for the internet: The New Gold Standard. If you've not read it before, you might find it interesting.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #24
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Here we go again. Why don't you post your photography articles here on RFF and provide a link to RFF on your site? Or give up your dedicated forum here.
Here we go again: whinge and whine. What have either you or Stephen lost from my post? He gets some people who might otherwise not come here: not many, but some. What do you personally contribute?

And how many come here to read long articles?

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #25
ptpdprinter

Quote:
There's a (free) short story on the .eu site which deals to some extent with how we pay for the internet: The New Gold Standard. If you've not read it before, you might find it interesting.
Back to flogging your non-photography stories on RFF. And back on your UBI hobby-horse.

Old 06-29-2018   #26
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Back to flogging your non-photography stories on RFF.
Rejoice in your misery. I care more about Stephen's opinion than yours.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, I was sharing that article for free. How is this "flogging"? And how is it NOT about photography? There are probably more people who can relate to it than care about platinum and palladium printing.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #27
ptpdprinter

Stephen, are we going to have to put up with this on RFF? It's your call. An official response is warranted. If this is what you want for this site, and will affirmatively say so, then I will drop my objection.

Old 06-29-2018   #28
dfranklin

Thanks for posting, Roger! I enjoyed your photos and your comments on them. I've had your site bookmarked for a while, but I appreciate notices about updates.

Old 06-29-2018   #29
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfranklin View Post
Thanks for posting, Roger! I enjoyed your photos and your comments on them. I've had your site bookmarked for a while, but I appreciate notices about updates.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #30
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I am not internet or computer savvy and maybe that is why I don't understand why it is a problem for Mr Hicks to post his articles and pictures on RFF.
They are interesting, they are related to photography and for a novice like me they are a good source of information/inspiration. I can only see it as a good thing.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 06-29-2018   #31
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Stephen, are we going to have to put up with this on RFF? It's your call. An official response is warranted. If this is what you want for this site, and will affirmatively say so, then I will drop my objection.
Exactly. If Stephen thinks I take more than I give, I'll leave the site.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #32
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I am not internet or computer savvy and maybe that is why I don't understand why it is a problem for Mr Hicks to post his articles and pictures on RFF.
They are interesting, they are related to photography and for a novice like me they are a good source of information/inspiration. I can only see it as a good thing.
Dear Pan.

Thanks. As I say (a) it's to encourage people and (b) it's free. As long as people enjoy free information (and fairly reliable information at that) then the internet is doing its job. If some people decide voluntarily to pay for some of the information, then maybe there's a future for the internet other than as a means of data capture for advertising and possibly political manipulation as well.

You might enjoy the short story The New Gold Standard on the .eu site, which is about nanopayments as a possible future for the internet. Remember too what Bertrand Russell said: "Most people would rather die than think. Many do."

There is after all more to photography (and indeed life) than which cameras, lenses and materials you use.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #33
vytasn

Wow, what a boring post this is.

Old 06-29-2018   #34
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytasn View Post
Wow, what a boring post this is.
Then why did you join in? To increase the boredom level still further?

What sort of thing do you consider interesting?

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #35
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Strange, I was trolled here recenttly just by those who feels they need to troll this day to feel better. It looks like Roger in same situation today.

First, RFF is not articles site, it is forum.
Second, article in OP link is very much photography related.
It has many photos related to each other.

Cheers for Roger! He talks more about photography than Bill Pierce is, IMO.
PS. Cheers for Bill as well

Old 06-29-2018   #36
vytasn

Quote:
Then why did you join in? To increase the boredom level still further?

What sort of thing do you consider interesting?

Cheers,

R.
Yes you are right Roger, you are always right. I should have kept my boredom to myself.

Cheers,

Vytas

Old 06-29-2018   #37
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytasn View Post
Yes you are right Roger, you are always right. I should have kept my boredom to myself.

Cheers,

Vytas
Dear Vytas,

Well, if not always, then at least quite often. But what DO you find interesting? Why not try to contribute something positive? Or, if negative, then at least explain why you feel the need to be negative.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-29-2018   #38
jszokoli

Thanks Rodger.

There are, I'm sure, quite a few people like myself who will take a minute and pop over to a linked site to see what you have to say, and unless as you say Stephen says something I really hope you ignore the negative comments.

Joe

Old 06-29-2018   #39
Brian Atherton

Thank you, Roger.

I enjoyed the article, it brought a smile to my face after a not so great week. Thoroughly enjoyed your website, too: bookmarked!

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 06-29-2018   #40
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jszokoli View Post
Thanks Rodger.

There are, I'm sure, quite a few people like myself who will take a minute and pop over to a linked site to see what you have to say, and unless as you say Stephen says something I really hope you ignore the negative comments.

Joe
Thanks Joe. After all, there's always the "back" button.

Cheers,

R.