21/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH 11135 with film
Old 06-26-2019   #1
F456
Tom H

21/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH 11135 with film

I have a 21/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH 11135 -- probably the only version of the 2.8 ASPH? -- and haven't used it with film yet as it has lain unused and in great condition since my days with an M8 ten or more years ago.

For use with film, mostly Ilford FP4 plus and HP5 plus, is there any reason why I would be disappointed with this lens for uncropped full frame shots? I know that newer lenses will always get a lot of hype: away from digital and in regular 35mm colour film as well as b&w use what are the main differences between this lens and the newer f/3.4 Super Elmar-M?

To be honest I never had any problems with the original 21/2.8 M (60mm filter thread.

One more thing, if this 11135 ASPH has a bit of play in it, i.e. I can wobble the front side to side or top to bottom a bit when holding the camera end of the lens, is that normal or any cause for concern in terms of image quality? It isn't a lot but it is just a bit disconcerting. It only happens if I consciously try to do it!

Thank you,

Tom

Old 06-27-2019   #2
Doug

I had this 21 Elmarit ASPH for a few years and quite liked it. It worked well and straight-forward with the M8 with no corner or side tint corrections needed, with effectively a 28mm field of view. On the full-frame digital cameras it called for some correcting with CornerFix. I eventually replaced it with the f/3.4 SEM mostly for that reason.
Here's one shot with the M (typ240), and you can see that the Elmarit ASPH cleans up nicely with CornerFix... It won't need that post-production work when shot on film, should be excellent, Tom!

Old 06-27-2019   #3
Doug

And here's the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit ASPH on an M8. There's a black cat just emerging from the shadows of his 'cave' under the alley side of a commercial building.