Old 02-19-2012   #41
ajuk

I like the Stylus Epic (MJUII) It would seem Olympus are the only company to make plastic bodied cameras aimed at the P&S crowed to have an enthusiast following.

I recently Bought an MJUII for £1 then sold it for £25, then my other one broke, so I only had one, I wasn't going to buy another one but I managed to get one in new condition for £36.

Old 02-19-2012   #42
GBR66

For film Olympus XA...just found my wife's 20 year old (?) version in a cupboard with a film to be developed.....however I'd go digital everytime now for an everyday carry and I love my canon s95, it is tiny, fits in jeans or suit pocket, great IQ for what it is and is easy to use.

Old 02-19-2012   #43
yukio

I tend to do more public/candid shooting so I judge best based on shortest shutter lag, operational time from start-up, and ease of pre-focusing. Of the point-and-shoots I've own/owned (Contax T3, Olympus XA, Contax T, Nikon 28Ti, Yashica T4), the Contax T is the best. The XA is a close second. It's easier to load and a better value than the T, but optics pushes the T to the top.

The closest thing I have to a digital p&s would be an iphone.

Old 02-19-2012   #44
lawnpotter

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81584 I dont have this but I think I want one.

Old 02-19-2012   #45
nightfly

The film GR1 is just a touch slimmer than the digital version and fits in the pocket better. I have both the GR1 and the GRD 3 and prefer the GR1 both for image quality (just like film) and pocketability.

The XA is smaller but fatter but works well too. The lens tends to flare and it's not as nice overall as the GR1. Also having a rangefinder with a small dim viewfinder isn't really super great so you might as well buy an XA2 for less money.

The Contax T2 is pretty heavy and fat and I actually prefer the Tessar on the Yashica t4 to the Sonnar on the T2. The T2 has a lot more control but really for a point and shoot, I feel like they are overkill.

The Contax T1 and Minox are both tiny with nice lenses but I find the barn door lens annoying and fiddly for quick shooting.

The Rollei 35 is super fiddly and heavy. Didn't get on with it at all. People love em though.

Never tried the T3 cause they are way too expensive.

Old 02-19-2012   #46
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

For a digital, I REALLY like the Canon Powershot G12.

Okay, so it's kind of a fatty when it comes to pocketing....but it has nifty manual dials on top, an active ZOOOOOOM Optical Viewfinder sync'ed with the 28-140mm (35mm equivalent) zoom lens (corresponding aperture of f/2.8-f/4.5), 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (whatever that means), the rear screen is articulated so can be closed to protect the screen (while jammed in the pocket), 10 Meg sensor, 780 video, has a long heritage of multiple prior "G" versions to work the bugs out, lots of fun imaging features in the menu, and is usually priced under $400.

Sadly, the zoom lens does not have a filter ring, but there are some great after market UV protection filters that can be applied with adhesive.

HOWEVER...you can get a larger sensor with a micro 4/3 these days...at similar prices.

I just like this G12 camera...I dunno why. (I think Canon has a smaller equivalent in the Canon S95 or something...but it doesn't have a viewfinder. I am IN to viewfinders.)

Robt.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 02-19-2012   #47
anerjee

Is the Fuji X10 similar in dimensions to the XA or the GR1?

Old 02-19-2012   #48
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

The Fuji X10 is sort of pocketable...except it's bigger than the XA, and the zoom lens kinda sticks out a bit.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 02-19-2012   #49
useless generation

Another vote for the Olympus Mju-II

Old 02-19-2012   #50
ajuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR66 View Post
For film Olympus XA...just found my wife's 20 year old (?) version in a cupboard with a film to be developed.....however I'd go digital everytime now for an everyday carry and I love my canon s95, it is tiny, fits in jeans or suit pocket, great IQ for what it is and is easy to use.
I don't know how people serious about photography can be satisfied by Digicams with such tiny sensors, for me they're good for pictures on the internet though.

Old 02-19-2012   #51
eurekaiv

While a great camera, the XA isn't a point and shoot. Unless by point and shoot you mean you can point it at something, check the exposure, fiddle with the rangefinder focus and then take the shot. By that standard, any rangefinder is a point and shoot. Heck, any SLR is a point and shoot. Why not recommend a Pentax Auto 110—an actual SLR that can actually fit in a pocket. I bet I could even fit two in my pocket so long as I didn't mount the 50mm lens.

Old 02-19-2012   #52
umcelinho
Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogier View Post
i really love my vivitar ultrawide & slim, but as soon as the sun goes down or i get indoors it's not very useful :/

not very pocketable, but i had a lomo lca and it was quite a good camera, perfect exposure every time and scale focusing was really intuitive. but then again id love to try an oly xa, rollei 35 or mju ii sometime.

for digital, s100 or the next s series compact they release. its really impressive.

Old 02-19-2012   #53
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Olympus Stylus Epic.

Small, inexpensive, great IQ, tough as nails when in pocket, knapsack, or glove box due to its clamshell case. Doesn't hurt a bit that it's a Yoshihisa Maitani design. IMO there has never been a better (film) point-and-shoot than the mju/mjuII. There are more capable cameras, but there are none that offer a better combination of IQ, durability, and price (=replaceability).

I loved my Ricoh GR-1 but it fails as a "pocketable PS" due to its comparatively fragile design. I've also got two Yashica T5's (=T4 Super). They're nice, too, but bigger than I prefer for a PS. But if you find a T5 in a thrift store they are a superlative bargain.

I would personally discount ANY really expensive point and shoot for pocket carry.

Other great PS's: Konica Big Mini; Nikon 600/LiteTouch AF (28mm! Yay! A replacement for my dead GR-1!).

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 02-19-2012   #54
heliographer

In order of preference:
Film
Olympus XA
Stylus Epic (MJUII)
Nikon L35AF

Digital
Really liking the LX5

Old 02-19-2012   #55
1750Shooter

I'm really happy with my Leica C1 Zoom. I know the lens is "only" an Elmarit, but it takes beautiful pictures & fits in my pocket.

Old 02-19-2012   #56
isoterica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
For a digital, I REALLY like the Canon Powershot G12.

Sadly, the zoom lens does not have a filter ring, but there are some great after market UV protection filters that can be applied with adhesive.

Robt.
There is a filter adapter for the G12, FA-DC58B you can see it here at B&H. I have one and using a polarizer on the G12 yields amazing results. You screw the ring circling the lens off, lock in the filter adapter and put on your chosen filter. The adapter extends as your lens does. You can even use a standard 58mm Canon lens cap to cover when you aren't using it.

Old 02-19-2012   #57
Corto

Here's a pic showing the size comparisons between my favorite P&S's and My Blackberry phone:

Old 02-19-2012   #58
---f
one day at a time

realistically, it's my iPhone 4.

BUT, if my pockets were deep enough, it would be an M9.

Old 02-19-2012   #59
tomalophicon

Yep, XA is definitely not a point and shoot. Neither is an M9 (can you even fit that thing in your pocket?).

Old 02-19-2012   #60
Corto

And a Un-edited pic from the Canon SD800IS, Camera in B&W mode and set at 80 ISO:

Old 02-21-2012   #61
muf

When defining 'pocketable', I assume you mean that it will easily go in a pocket and you don't feel it is 'squeezed' in there. The Contax T3 is small but is also a little fat, so to speak. If you are wearing snug fitting jeans, not tight, just snug, then you will certainly notice it and it will be a little uncomfortable. The Ricoh GR1 series on the other hand are slimmer, to the point that you can put one in your jeans pocket easily, without stretching occuring with the fabric. The GR1v that I used to own never had to be a 'coat pocket' camera. However, the Contax T3 I had sometimes had to be relegated to my coat if I was wearing 'snug' jeans.

The T3 does however give you the option of getting a little attention from the ladies....

Old 02-21-2012   #62
dallard

Anyone here have any experience with the Fuji Klasse cameras?

Old 02-21-2012   #63
OlliL

I had the Klasse W.

Wonderful IQ and great ergonomics, but more coat pocketable, than something for your pants.
And quite heavy, too.

Old 02-21-2012   #64
Corto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallard View Post
Anyone here have any experience with the Fuji Klasse cameras?
Fairly expensive Camera.

Do a search here on RFF.....

Old 02-21-2012   #65
nighstar
eternal beginner

i don't know about film P&S, but for digital my vote goes to the Ricoh GRDIV and the GRD line in general. awesome little camera that even outdoes my Olympus E-P2 at times.

Old 02-21-2012   #66
Greyscale

If you don't mind a little noise, the Canon MC has a terrific lens.

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-21-2012   #67
kzphoto

GRD IV for digital, Fuji Natura Black f/1.9 or Ricoh GR1v for film. The GR1v has really great flash capabilities, the Natura for low light photography.

Old 02-21-2012   #68
Rayt

The GR-1 has mechanical switches for +/- exposure, flash and aperture control. Is there another p&s with these feature? Most cameras have these settings in menu and must be set again when power off. I have come to like the 28mm for street and now prefer it. And don't forget about Snap mode!

Old 02-22-2012   #69
OlliL

Fuji Klasse W does all that, too.
Plus you can set your desired distance for prefocussing.

Thats easy
Old 02-22-2012   #70
john341
camera user

Thats easy

I use a Zeiss Taxona, similar to the Tenax. My model has a Tessar lens, drops into my pocket. Top camera. Good old Zeiss!

Old 02-22-2012   #71
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

I like the Nikon 35 ti. Fantastic optics.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 02-22-2012   #72
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
While a great camera, the XA isn't a point and shoot. Unless by point and shoot you mean you can point it at something, check the exposure, fiddle with the rangefinder focus and then take the shot. By that standard, any rangefinder is a point and shoot. Heck, any SLR is a point and shoot. Why not recommend a Pentax Auto 110—an actual SLR that can actually fit in a pocket. I bet I could even fit two in my pocket so long as I didn't mount the 50mm lens.
With the XA, you just set (hyperfocal) distance, aperture and shoot. Leave the exposure setting where it is until conditions change. Sorta like HCB used to do. I hear he was a pretty good photographer who captured some neat moments.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 02-22-2012   #73
emraphoto

still rolling with my Canon s90 after many, many miles. very pocketable and an all around brilliant little machine.

Old 02-22-2012   #74
emraphoto

still rolling with my Canon s90 after many, many miles. very pocketable and an all around brilliant little machine.

Old 02-22-2012   #75
eurekaiv

While you can set it up that way, I think that puts it at a huge disadvantage to cameras that can automatically adjust to the various lighting conditions without user input. Plus it's also fairly easy to inadvertently move the focus dial on an XA. IMO, a P&S has either AF or fixed focus and full AE (at least as an option) or one shutter speed. Scale focus and rangefinders—regardless of how small or easy they are to use—are their own class of cameras and it seems RFF agrees since they created separate forum sections for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
With the XA, you just set (hyperfocal) distance, aperture and shoot. Leave the exposure setting where it is until conditions change. Sorta like HCB used to do. I hear he was a pretty good photographer who captured some neat moments.

Old 02-22-2012   #76
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
I don't know how people serious about photography can be satisfied by Digicams with such tiny sensors, for me they're good for pictures on the internet though.
Under good conditions (what one encounters most of the time), small sensors can yield astonishingly good image quality. Enough, certainly, for a 12x18" print. This is especially so if good technique is used.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 02-22-2012   #77
AJShepherd

It all depends what you mean by 'pocketable'. I mean, my Franka Rolfix II will fit in some of my trouser pockets, when folded.

Folded Franka Rolfix 2 by Antony J Shepherd, on Flickr
Admittedly I have to keep hitching my trousers up at that side, and have a tendency to walk in circles, but it's still pocketable!!!

But seriously, I have to say my Ricoh GRD is my most truly pocketable camera and while I've had it six years now it's my go-everywhere digital.

As far as film goes, there's my Vivitar Ultra-Wide and Slim, the Minox GTS, the Rollei B35, the Olympus EE2, the Trip 35 or the Minolta Hi-Matic F, which while it's a rangefinder is full auto for everything else, so I think still counts as a P&S.

Old 02-22-2012   #78
Corto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJShepherd View Post
It all depends what you mean by 'pocketable'. I mean, my Franka Rolfix II will fit in some of my trouser pockets, when folded.

Folded Franka Rolfix 2 by Antony J Shepherd, on Flickr
Admittedly I have to keep hitching my trousers up at that side, and have a tendency to walk in circles, but it's still pocketable!!!
Agreed, As does my Isolette's. But they are Fully manual cameras and not P&S IMHO.

Old 02-22-2012   #79
MaxElmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
Under good conditions (what one encounters most of the time), small sensors can yield astonishingly good image quality. Enough, certainly, for a 12x18" print. This is especially so if good technique is used.
Indeed - technique becomes more important as the format gets smaller! But certainly, even a small sensor camera, when used on a tripod (and getting all the other basics right), can yield amazing results. Unfortunately, P&S cameras don't often get used that way, and their reputation suffers as a result.

I'm quite sure 8x10 and whole plate film photographers said the same about the Leica when it came out. "How can you get good results from such a small-format camera?"

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 02-22-2012   #80
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn View Post
Just curious to see what you guys think is the best point and shoot that will easily fit into your pants pocket.

Film or digital. Or both.
I don't know much about digital cameras, but whe my daughter the writer asked for a pocketable digicam for Christmas two years ago, I went down to BestBuy and bought her a Panasonic (don't know the model) that sported a nice little Leica moderate zoom lens for $189, and the pics she gets with it are amazing. Her only complaint has been that she can't really see the screen very well in sunlight. It is VERY thin! A friend of mine bought one the next year just like hers, but his has a built in GPS feature! Shows up as part of the EXIF data. Very handy.

My Flickr