Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

Old 03-07-2019   #41
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdarnell View Post
"Go easy, Leonard!"
ok that got a laugh, at least out of me. :-)

Old 03-07-2019   #42
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdarnell View Post
"Go easy, Leonard!"

Think about the "impossible Project". After ten years, I can now go to Target, get a Polaroid branded camera, on sale for a black body no less, some color and black and white film in SX-70 format. All on the shelf, no special order. Yes, it's pricy, but it EXISTS!

These projects take time.

And yes, I'm getting that camera for one simple reason: I can.
Well I'll be, your right. Just checked my local target and my computer machine says they have some stock. No B&W though, but they can order it. Instant appears to be a growth area for film.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
DanskDynamit

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninfilm View Post
Think Film Ferrania will actually produce some color reversal film someday?
I dont think so.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanskDynamit View Post
I dont think so.

Do they even update anymore?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Dave Bias still gives updates on Photrio. They also have added new video updates to their website. Overpromising and under-delivering has burned them in the past, so they are staying quiet until they finally can ship a final product (P30 B&W).

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Dave Bias still gives updates on Photrio. They also have added new video updates to their website. Overpromising and under-delivering has burned them in the past, so they are staying quiet until they finally can ship a final product (P30 B&W).

Jim B.

P30 is an awful film. I bought five rolls of the stuff and the results from the first roll were so unusable that I just tossed the rest. Not even remotely a finished product.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
Mr_Flibble

Dang, you should've tossed it my way.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
css9450

Or put it up on Ebay.

I shot two rolls.... I found it much too contrasty, at least for my developing and scanning abilities. So I listed the rest of the rolls I bought for $12 each, and they sold within one day! Some folks like the film I guess.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
DanskDynamit

Quote:
no, I don't even care about the rewards anymore, I just hope they send some P30 crap at some point. Even if they get the factory running, I will never support them, you don't treat people who trusted you like this.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
leicapixie

Quote:
P30 is an awful film. I bought five rolls of the stuff and the results from the first roll were so unusable that I just tossed the rest. Not even remotely a finished product.
A photographer i know who only does BW and by chance lives in Florence, where the film is available as well as Milan, Rome. Venice and 1 other Italian city.. The ISO very low.. It is contrasty.
The results were super!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
The ISO very low.. It is contrasty.
The results were super!

That's the quandary. I've seen such excellent results from others.

I exposed mine at ISO 80. Maybe I should have used 50 or 25? In the end I decided to stick with Delta 100.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
I love the stuff. The most unique B&W film I've ever shot. I'm looking forward to replenishing my supply. Plus they plan to make it in 120 too.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
Larry Cloetta

I really like it as well, though I scan instead of wet printing, so I have not found the inherent contrast to be any kind of disadvantage. Were I wet printing, it might be different; at least one experienced wet printer here has found it to be unusable for his purposes. For my taste, and the way I use it, P30 is much more than “usable”, it’s one of the top five available emulsions, to my eye, considering everything out there. Shot at 80 or 100.
But, that’s a taste thing, not a “fact” that anyone else has to accommodate themselves to. I like the way “the pictures come out” , more than I am worried about the total response curve, so bear that in mind. Caveat emptor
Like others, though, I hope but am not sure they will be able to produce any more.

I have posted this shot before, Contax G1 45mm Planar P30 @ 80 ASA in D76 1:1. Is it too contrasty? I don’t know, maybe. This is what I get, this is what others get. Works for me, poor curves and all. But, all the negativity I see about this film, that I don’t understand.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Is it too contrasty? I don’t know, maybe.

Its contrasty, but not excessively so I think. I can still see the details in his black shirt for example. His face is fantastic! It was probably the right film for light inside that tent.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Its contrasty, but not excessively so I think. I can still see the details in his black shirt for example. His face is fantastic! It was probably the right film for light inside that tent.
Looks great to me. I think it would be used as a tool appropriate for the job. If you want 'normal' use a different film. If you want contrasty use this.
Why make a new film that is the same as other films already available?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Why make a new film that is the same as other films already available?
It is not intended or marketed as a high contrast film. That's just how it turns out with most processing. It is still in beta, so how it behaves in its final form is unknown.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
jawarden

Quote:
Why did you buy five rolls of an alpha product if you were interested only in success on the first try? Which best practices version did you use with P30 before giving up on the first try and declaring the film "awful"?

My first roll was so contrasty that it was completely unusable. My second roll was better than the first. My third roll was better than the second, using an updated best practices document from Ferrania. My experience with the film was positive overall and I look forward to the final production version.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
Ted Striker

Quote:
That's the quandary. I've seen such excellent results from others.

I exposed mine at ISO 80. Maybe I should have used 50 or 25? In the end I decided to stick with Delta 100.

I had virtually no image on my negatives when exposed at ISO 80. ISO 25 would have been better but my guess is that this film needs ISO 8 to truly burn an image in. At ISO 80 the results were utterly unusable, scans showed almost no image at all.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
Ted Striker

Quote:
I love the stuff. The most unique B&W film I've ever shot. I'm looking forward to replenishing my supply. Plus they plan to make it in 120 too.

Jim B.

It was the most unique B&W film I ever shot too. 99% of the image was missing from the final product! I could only make out the very faintest image after developing. It was like looking at the Shroud of Turin.

I tossed all my rolls in the garbage after see how awful the results were from the first roll.

Plus, you can't even use the film in a camera with a power winder! How ridiculous is that? Ferrania specifically warns against that.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
It is not intended or marketed as a high contrast film. That's just how it turns out with most processing. It is still in beta, so how it behaves in its final form is unknown.

Exactly. All this "it's a contrasty film" is just hyperbole. The film was never intended to be as such. Previous versions of P30 were not so contrasty.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
css9450

Quote:
I had virtually no image on my negatives when exposed at ISO 80. ISO 25 would have been better but my guess is that this film needs ISO 8 to truly burn an image in. At ISO 80 the results were utterly unusable, scans showed almost no image at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker
It was the most unique B&W film I ever shot too. 99% of the image was missing from the final product! I could only make out the very faintest image after developing. It was like looking at the Shroud of Turin.

I wonder if there was something wrong with your camera.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
css9450

I missed the warning about using a motordrive. Fortunately my N90S didn't seem to do any harm.

Same scene with Fuji Acros. I find things to like about both, and some of that depends on which monitor I am using. Rollei 35 for this one:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Previous versions of P30 were not so contrasty.
People may like it, people may dislike it, but it was always contrasty.

Anita Ekberg “La Dolce Vita” Ferrania P30

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
CMur12

I'm still hoping for the slide film.

- Murray

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post
Dang, you should've tossed it my way.
Agreed. I had great results with the rolls I got. Scanned just fine.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
Ted Striker

Quote:
I wonder if there was something wrong with your camera.

It shoots Acros just fine.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
jawarden

Quote:
It shoots Acros just fine.
If you can make images with Acros then your camera is probably fine. If other people can make images with P30 then the P30 you used was also probably fine. If you tried a roll of P30 and got nothing then there was likely a problem not related to film or camera. That leaves you, chemistry, and process, or a combination of the three that resulted in no images.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
brbo

My P30 shot at iso80 look like they could do with more exposure, but FAAAR from only recording a "faint image".

Anyway, I would pay 5x the amount I lost on Ferrania Kickstarter on Kodak or Fuji's attempt to bring back Provia 400x, Neopan 400/1600, Reala, Portra NC...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #69
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
My P30 shot at iso80 look like they could do with more exposure, but FAAAR from only recording a "faint image".

Anyway, I would pay 5x the amount I lost on Ferrania Kickstarter on Kodak or Fuji's attempt to bring back Provia 400x, Neopan 400/1600, Reala, Portra NC...
I'm down to my last dozen or so rolls of Neopan 1600

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Anyway, I would pay 5x the amount I lost on Ferrania Kickstarter on Fuji's attempt to bring back Provia 400x, Neopan 400/1600, Reala,

Agreed. Great lost films.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
If you can make images with Acros then your camera is probably fine. If other people can make images with P30 then the P30 you used was also probably fine. If you tried a roll of P30 and got nothing then there was likely a problem not related to film or camera. That leaves you, chemistry, and process, or a combination of the three that resulted in no images.

I agree. When I get really bad results, its almost always because of some small simple mistake on my part. I wonder if Ted can post some P30 vs. Acros comparisons side-by-side, like I did yesterday? Hopefully he didn't throw away the negatives also.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
Toastybunzz

I had some excellent results, I just wish I could have bought more. For me 25 ISO, HC-110B for 5 mins did the trick. The finest grain I've ever seen in 35mm and beautiful tonality, if you shoot it like slide film.

Not my favorite image from the rolls but it shows the amazing pop it can give you.

I know they have run into a lot of problems but are trying to get it all sorted. I'm waiting patiently for them to reopen when they're ready.

Old 1 Week Ago   #73
Ted Striker

Quote:
I agree. When I get really bad results, its almost always because of some small simple mistake on my part. I wonder if Ted can post some P30 vs. Acros comparisons side-by-side, like I did yesterday? Hopefully he didn't throw away the negatives also.

Thrown away a long time ago, along with the 5 boxes of P30 I never shot. They were hopelessly unusable negatives so I tossed them.

Old 1 Week Ago   #74
Ted Striker

So with 2019 now out of the question, what are the odds that Film Ferannia can deliver their new E6 film in 2020? Will it happen next year or will we have to wait until 2021? I'm a backer worth 4 rolls of this non existent film.

Old 1 Week Ago   #75
jawarden

Quote:
So with 2019 now out of the question, what are the odds that Film Ferannia can deliver their new E6 film in 2020? Will it happen next year or will we have to wait until 2021? I'm a backer worth 4 rolls of this non existent film.
What new E6 film? I would say the chance of a new E6 film from Ferrari in 2020 is zero. They haven't delivered the black and white film yet and an E6 offering would be far more complex for this tiny company.

Is this a serious question? Has Ferrania communicated anything recently about offering an E6 film in 2020? Do you have a link? Maybe I've missed something but I thought they were no longer making predictions about when E6 would be available.

Old 1 Week Ago   #76
Ted Striker

Quote:
What new E6 film? I would say the chance of a new E6 film from Ferrari in 2020 is zero. They haven't delivered the black and white film yet and an E6 offering would be far more complex for this tiny company.

Is this a serious question? Has Ferrania communicated anything recently about offering an E6 film in 2020? Do you have a link? Maybe I've missed something but I thought they were no longer making predictions about when E6 would be available.

The whole original kickstarter was to bring back E6 film. P30 was never mentioned for several years at the beginning.

Old 1 Week Ago   #77
Mackinaw
Think Different

Quote:
What new E6 film? I would say the chance of a new E6 film from Ferrari in 2020 is zero......
I agree. The odds of Ferrari introducing a new E6 film are zero.

Excuse the wise-a** answer, I couldn't resist. I suggest you go over to Photrio (old APUG) and read the long, long thread on Ferrania. Dave Bias was/is a frequent contributor. But to answer your question, you won't be seeing any E6 film from Ferrania in 2020.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:

Old 1 Week Ago   #78
Ted Striker

Quote:
I agree. The odds of Ferrari introducing a new E6 film are zero.

Excuse the wise-a** answer, I couldn't resist. I suggest you go over to Photrio (old APUG) and read the long, long thread on Ferrania. Dave Bias was/is a frequent contributor. But to answer your question, you won't be seeing any E6 film from Ferrania in 2020.

Jim B.
Perhaps us kickstarters could be refunded our money then.

OK, a pipe dream probably.

Old 1 Week Ago   #79
Corran

Stop complaining about everything, sheesh.

Old 1 Week Ago   #80
jawarden

Quote:
The whole original kickstarter was to bring back E6 film. P30 was never mentioned for several years at the beginning.
Ah, I see. You feel like complaining about the writings from 2014 on Kickstarter. Perhaps you heard that their situation changed since then.

Slow day at the office?