Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: Strap for Your Camera
Neck Strap 88 83.81%
Wrist Strap 18 17.14%
Other Strap 7 6.67%
No Strap 8 7.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2018   #41
maigo

Lens cases often had straps - all my Pentax SMC M42 lenses came with them for example.

Did anyone ever carry lenses over their shoulder? Seems unwieldy and impractical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2018   #42
Michael Markey

I carry my Canon 70-200 or 400 in their Canon lens cases over my shoulder in certain situations.

Yes it is rather unwieldy but sometimes ….

Old 08-19-2018   #43
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
Did anyone ever carry lenses over their shoulder? Seems unwieldy and impractical.
I prefer shoulder carry as it's less conspicuous, quick to action, and I don't like a camera bouncing on my chest! The camera over the shoulder is tucked into my elbow and is thus prevented from swinging around. A non-slip pad on the strap is necessary.

On occasion I'll put the strap around my neck when there's a reason to be extra secure about dropping it into the ocean, say!

Old 08-20-2018   #44
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
Think Tank straps > Domke straps 24/7. seen to many horror stories of the qr breaking and camera hitting ground. Also the rubber strips age and get brittle and fall off. Think tanks straps are gripped on both sides. The welded ring also makes an attachment point for hanging camera off backpack shoulder straps.
What? Never knew Think Tank made straps. Makes sense. Gripped on both sides. Hmmmm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 08-20-2018   #45
Saul
fighting inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Thank you for the link.
That's simply robbery; $156.00 for a length of cord, a bit of leather, some thread and two split rings!

Old 08-20-2018   #46
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
That's simply robbery; $156.00 for a length of cord, a bit of leather, some thread and two split rings!
Currently awaiting a Stroppa strap, which is nylon, but in "Flex" variant is said to be almost as soft as the silk A&A strap. Even better, it comes with some leather to protect the camera and costs under $40.

http://www.stroppa.pl/?c=cee236228e9a

Old 08-20-2018   #47
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I've been using the old-style cloth or nylon Nikon straps for years. They are available at photo swap meets for a couple of dollars each, and once modified work very well. I remove the adjustable metal hardware and sew the straps to the desired length. Then Velcro is sewn on the underside at the point where the strap meets my shoulders so it can mate up with the Velcro sewn on the epaulettes of my vest or backpack shoulder straps. This way when the cameras are hanging off my shoulders, the straps never, ever slip off, and should an attachment to a camera body ever come loose or fail, the camera simply dangles by the other end of the strap locked to my shoulder by the Velcro. I worked this out system about 25 years ago and have been using it ever since without ever loosing a camera to General Relativity.
Robert

Old 08-20-2018   #48
Dogman

Neck/shoulder straps for me. I like leather, about an inch or so wide. The ones I use right now are branded "Ciesta", bought from Amazon for about $40 each. They look good, feel comfortable and seem to be well made. I do use a wrist strap on the GRII--the one that came with the camera. Heavy cameras or cameras with long, heavy lenses, I always used the wide nylon straps by the manufacturer. The ones that scream "Nikon!" or "Canon!" Ugly but practical.

Old 08-20-2018   #49
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maigo View Post
I love the look of the hippie straps but haven't tried one yet. Watching a few auctions to use them with my 70s era SLRs.
The damn' things curl up until the part in contact with your skin is surprisingly narrow. They then bite into your neck. Don't bother!

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2018   #50
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I prefer shoulder carry as it's less conspicuous, quick to action, and I don't like a camera bouncing on my chest! The camera over the shoulder is tucked into my elbow and is thus prevented from swinging around. A non-slip pad on the strap is necessary.

On occasion I'll put the strap around my neck when there's a reason to be extra secure about dropping it into the ocean, say!
Dear Doug,

On the other hand, if it's round your neck there's a lot less likelihood of it banging into walls, car doors, etc.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-20-2018   #51
Archlich

Let there be no myth in leather...cared properly it will last, otherwise it will dry and crack. German or Japanese, vintage or new, it just doesn't matter. An occasional treatment with conditioner is the real magic!

Personally I love nylon and polyester straps that can be easily cleaned and require little maintenance. I bought a batch of Nikon AN-4B from Japan (cheaper there), replaced the faux leather pads with ultrasuede patches, and use them on larger (a relative term specific to my arsenal) cameras. This way it would breathe better in the super humid East Asian summers. Smaller ones have A&A ACAM-295 cloth (acrylic, to be precise) wrist straps on them. A 20mm plastic loop can be slipped on to cinch the strap when needed.

Old 08-20-2018   #52
presspass
filmshooter

Anyone prefer cross-body rather than hanging from a shoulder? Seems like that would be more secure.

Old 08-20-2018   #53
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
The damn' things curl up until the part in contact with your skin is surprisingly narrow. They then bite into your neck. Don't bother!

Cheers,

R.
Same experience. Ugh!

Old 08-20-2018   #54
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Anyone prefer cross-body rather than hanging from a shoulder? Seems like that would be more secure.
I do see my photo to the left.

Old 08-20-2018   #55
presspass
filmshooter

Akiva, what do you look for when getting a cross-body strap? Most of my straps have some kind of anti-slip on them - Upstrap and Domke. These don't seem suitable for carrying a camera the way you do. Suggestions? Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018   #56
nightfly

No strap.

Have the Leica grip on M9 and my M4-P. Camera is either in my hand or in my bag.

Never clicked with straps. Also never dropped a camera, as that is usually the next question.

Even with the much more cumbersome Mamiya 7 with the 150 attached, same thing

Old 08-20-2018   #57
rfaspen

Quote:
Yes.

I switch between simple around the neck (camera bouncing off chest/stomach) and "bandolier" cross-body carry. Depends on the exact situation. When I'm in active shooting mode, simple neck carry because the camera is actually in my hand most of the time. When I'm briskly walking between locations, its bandolier style. I can still slide the camera into a shot without much fuss, and the carry is much more secure and comfortable (no bouncing around!)

I have found that there is no perfect carrying method, and learned the hard way to just be flexible (in all areas of life).

Old 08-20-2018   #58
rfaspen

Forgot to mention the "cold-weather carry". That's when I carry the camera on neck strap, in usual position, but have my coat open to just the right level (zipped or buttoned) so I can tuck my camera under it. No more bouncing around, and the camera is out-of-sight and slightly protected. I just reach under my coat and whip out the camera when I want to make a shot. I probably look like some FBI agent about to whip out his/her gun and....well I hope not!

Old 08-20-2018   #59
Michael Markey

Quote:
Always cross body .

Old 08-20-2018   #60
Deardorff38

Cross-body only occasionally (for quick access) while ski-touring. I most often have it on my shoulder, or with the strap looped on my wrist.

Old 08-20-2018   #61
back alley
IMAGES

i've used them all, from luigi to domke and leica and most camera brands...the one that i have stayed with for years now is the lance strap. it comes in standard lengths and can be customized in length also. it is reasonably priced and it is round. round works just perfectly for me. it glides up and down with ease.

Old 08-20-2018   #62
Rick Waldroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
What? Never knew Think Tank made straps. Makes sense. Gripped on both sides. Hmmmm.

Yes, I own three of them and they are superb. One aspect of the straps that is especially useful is how small they fold up in your camera bag. They take up almost no room at all. They are extremely durable and well made, being gripped on both sides. And, they are relatively inexpensive. Great product.

Old 08-20-2018   #63
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post

You might think so, but that silk cord is really an amazing bit of kit. It's engineered!

Old 08-20-2018   #64
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Absolutely. It's the preferred way to carry my cameras.

I don't know how anyone could use a neck strap. But then, I have boobs.

Old 08-20-2018   #65
ktmrider

Gordy makes a great combo of shoulder and wrist strap. It can be customized for length, color, fasteners etc at a very reasonable price. I use one on my MP240.

Old 08-20-2018   #66
jpressman
Culver City, CA

For me it's the Crumpler Popular Disgrace. Cheap (<$15), adjustable, comfortable. Does the job. I have probably 4 of them. Not sure if they're still available though.

Old 08-20-2018   #67
Brian Atherton

Quote:
+1 = Me!

Always have. Neck straps are er, a pain in the neck, especially when used with a heavy SLR and long zoom. Very unwieldy.

Cross-body I have the strap just long enough so that the camera can hang comfortably level behind my elbow where it can be tucked away safely.

I can't get on with a strap casually hanging on one shoulder as my shoulders slope and the strap just slides off.

With lightweight digitals (Fuji X-Pro2) I use cut down and adapted dog Nylon leads. far cheaper than bespoke straps. With my M bodies I use Leica's excellent Nylon strap.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 08-20-2018   #68
RichC

I always carry my cameras across my body - on the chest they sway and swing uncontrollably (often into things)!

I buy old, well-worn wide canvas straps from the 1970s with all-metal fittings (no plastic!), including quick-release clips. I bleach these, then dye them (olive green - ‘cos I like the colour, and it’s discrete).

What I want from a strap (strong and reliable taken as givens):

• Comfortable - hence worn and soft, and wide for weight spreading.
• Slippery - worn across the body means it needs to slide, so musn’t be grippy, and no “shoulder pad” thing.
• Cheap - usually about $1!

I usually bleach and dye a handful every few years as friends and colleagues like them too, saying they’ve real character, so I’m always giving them away!

Pic of the strap I’ve used for a decade now (with my Frankenstein 1 kg (2 lb) 55-110 mm shift zoom lens!).

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 08-21-2018   #69
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Yes.

I switch between simple around the neck (camera bouncing off chest/stomach) and "bandolier" cross-body carry. Depends on the exact situation. When I'm in active shooting mode, simple neck carry because the camera is actually in my hand most of the time. When I'm briskly walking between locations, its bandolier style. I can still slide the camera into a shot without much fuss, and the carry is much more secure and comfortable (no bouncing around!)

I have found that there is no perfect carrying method, and learned the hard way to just be flexible (in all areas of life).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
Forgot to mention the "cold-weather carry". That's when I carry the camera on neck strap, in usual position, but have my coat open to just the right level (zipped or buttoned) so I can tuck my camera under it. No more bouncing around, and the camera is out-of-sight and slightly protected. I just reach under my coat and whip out the camera when I want to make a shot. I probably look like some FBI agent about to whip out his/her gun and....well I hope not!
The same for me, bandolier style when walking, around the neck when taking photos and under the coat in winter times.

I use Gordy's straps for my M7, Nikon FM2 and Rolleiflex. Recently bought the Rock&Roll strap for the M10. It's comfortable to carry the camera old day long, weight is well distributed, but a little too bulky when you put the camera in the bag.

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-21-2018   #70
NickTrop

I have had vintage hippie straps (no like). I have had sling straps (really no like). I have mostly used a wrist strap (like) but that necessitates carrying a small camera case. I now use this brand, Canpis. Leather. Secure. Nice length (long -- hangs around waist lenght). Right price. $15 on the big auction site. Quick release. I am buying another for my other camera. This is my forever strap.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds (The one I use is a bit different than what's in the link...)

Old 08-21-2018   #71
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I use MATIN EtsHaim leather straps on all my cameras. They're made in South Korea and come in a variety of colors and sizes.

I hang my camera around my neck! And, I'm proud of it!

Strap around my neck, camera in my left hand, trigger finger of my right hand gently caressing the shutter release... I'm ready; I'm also left eye dominant - no problem - good-to-go - ready to shoot! Action!

Mostly manual focus - occasionally auto focus - always ready.

Mike

Old 08-21-2018   #72
Big Ursus

I also use the free, original, factory-issued, neck straps on my Fuji X-T2 and Sony RX1s. Those black straps are grippy enough for me, flexible, and don't call attention to themselves.

Old 08-22-2018   #73
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Leica M, Nikon F mount SLR and DSLR, Fuji X100: Neck straps.
Leicasonic D-Lux 6, Fuji X10: wrist strap. They look silly on a neck strap, like a cat on a leash!
Hasselblad 500CM: short hand strap. Too heavy for the neck!
Hasselblad SWC: either hand strap or neck strap.

Old 08-22-2018   #74
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Akiva, what do you look for when getting a cross-body strap? Most of my straps have some kind of anti-slip on them - Upstrap and Domke. These don't seem suitable for carrying a camera the way you do. Suggestions? Thanks.
The one in my Avatar photo is a leather gordy strap extra long for a good fit. don't want it too sticky so I can easily swing it around for action.

Old 08-22-2018   #75
intheviewfinder
Street

Interesting thoughts but most folks are just talking about using a camera on a strap without consideration of a bag - small shoulder bag, messenger bag or, heck, a backpack. Love to hear some comments.

Old 08-22-2018   #76
presspass
filmshooter

Bags are fine for transport, but if you're in a situation where you are using two cameras - one with a moderate wide angle and the other with a normal or short telephoto, bags are just for storing film, extra lenses, etc. That's where the cross straps work best - see David D. Duncan's commentary at the end of his book of photographs taken during the Korean War.

Old 08-22-2018   #77
zuiko85

Iím with the DIY group. Most straps seem to be too short for across the chest bandolier style wear. I buy nylon webbing 1/2 inch wide and fittings. Also use split rings and sew up my own short pieces for quick release applications. Functionally plus good looks are too expensive for me so I settle for just functionality.

Old 08-22-2018   #78
JoeLopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Neck Strap, Wrist Strap, Fancy Strap, No Strap. Show me your Strap on your camera or not.
I use a Hawkesmill Westminster on my F3 and a Kensington on my X100T. Great straps
Both are long enough to wear cross chest or over one shoulder for quick access.

Literally within a couple of months in 2017, they introduced a red stitched version of the Kensington - I'd much rather have that on my Fuji.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 08-22-2018   #79
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheviewfinder View Post
Interesting thoughts but most folks are just talking about using a camera on a strap without consideration of a bag - small shoulder bag, messenger bag or, heck, a backpack. Love to hear some comments.
Bags?

1. Billingham
2. Think Tank
3. Domke

Old 08-22-2018   #80
jwnash1

Quote:
I wear mine cross-body , usually with the camera riding just at top of rear hip, out of way, inconspicuous, and secure. One strap is Gordys with strings, another is old Tamrac and third is homemade similar to Artisan & Artist

John