Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Official Nikon Statement: Nikon F6 is still in production!
Old 08-29-2018   #1
Skiff

Official Nikon Statement: Nikon F6 is still in production!

Positive news for film photographers, especially Nikon users.
There is an official statement that the Nikon F6 is in current production as it has been all the years in Nikon's Sendai factory. That is the factory in which all professional Nikon cameras are made.
The statement is included in an interview during a visit of the Sendai factory visiting the current Nikon Z7 production:
"Q: Is this the only assembly line? We notice a lot of brass debris, are they going to be recycled?
A: (long pause) What you saw today is the Z7 assembly line. Currently, the Nikon D5 and Df are on pause.
We have another line for the film camera F6. A cleanroom is also in this shop. However, we didnít visit the lens molding shop. By the way, metal debris from cutting will be processed by a specific recycling company.

Old 08-29-2018   #2
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post
We have another line for the film camera F6
Technically, that doesn't say F6 is in production.

Might be, might be not.

Old 08-29-2018   #3
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Might be, might be not.
Sorry, but that is completely wrong.
If you've read the article, you would have seen that Nikon has a capacity problem:
The demand for their cameras (especially the D850 and the Z7) is much higher than their current max. production capacity. That is the reason why D5 and Df production are currently on pause.

In such a situation it would be absolut economic nonsense to have a production line for the F6, but not using it!
In such a situation you have two reasonable economic choices:
1. Close the F6 line completely and transfer it to D850 or Z7 production.
2. Use the line as intended and produce the F6. And that is what they are doing.

As the Nikon staff have explained, the D5 and Df are currently on pause. They don't said that about the F6.

Old 08-29-2018   #4
ptpdprinter

I suspect the F6 line is a small one, and not readily adaptable to the Z series, hence it is not shut down. Whether they run it daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. is unknown. The F6 is currently available from B&H for $2449.

Old 08-29-2018   #5
Fraser

If they are still in production where are they selling ? is it a special order item direct from Nikon ?

Also I don't understand why anyone would buy a new one, if its anything like Canon with the 1v new price was around £2000 secondhand price was as cheap as £250.

Old 08-29-2018   #6
css9450

Quote:
As the Nikon staff have explained, the D5 and Df are currently on pause. They don't said that about the F6.
How many F6s do you think they sell in a year? Its been mentioned in many F6 threads here they they most likely tool up the line periodically and build a batch large enough to last awhile, perhaps a couple years or more.

Old 08-29-2018   #7
jonmanjiro

Judging by the serial numbers in this thread, Nikon is still making about 40-50 F6s per month.

Old 08-29-2018   #8
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
I suspect the F6 line is a small one, and not readily adaptable to the Z series, hence it is not shut down. Whether they run it daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc. is unknown. The F6 is currently available from B&H for $2449.
The Sendai factory is a very flexible factory. It is also able to do very small volume production. This factory is generally designed to change from product to product in a very short time frame with their digital cameras.
There have been several reports in the past from visitors of this factory. All of them have said the same: The Nikon F6 has its own, small, separated production line. And there is a permanent, daily production.

Old 08-29-2018   #9
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
If they are still in production where are they selling ? is it a special order item direct from Nikon ?
You can order it at the more dedicated / bigger shops and online retailers.

Quote:
Also I don't understand why anyone would buy a new one, if its anything like Canon with the 1v new price was around £2000 secondhand price was as cheap as £250.
I've bought mine new. Best decision ever. It is worth every cent. You get a "once in a lifetime" camera which will work for the next 35-40 years or even more if you take a bit care of it. For such a lifespan it is an incredibly cheap camera with an outstanding price-performance ratio.
And you can't get a used one for 250 bucks!
Used prices (at least here in my area) are in the 750 - 1300 bucks range depending on the condition.
And used prices have also gone up in the last 12 months. I would not be surprised if this trend will continue with the increasing interest in film.

Old 08-29-2018   #10
Timmyjoe

Quote:
The demand for their cameras (especially the D850 and the Z7) is much higher than their current max. production capacity. That is the reason why D5 and Df production are currently on pause.
While I agree that the demand for the D850 completely outstrips supply, that camera is not made in the Sendai factory, so it has no bearing on Z7, Df, D5 and F6 production.

Nikon clearly makes their lower quantity, higher end, products at the Sendai factory. From my experience with my own Nikon equipment, I will no longer buy a Nikon camera body that is not made in Sendai.

Glad they're still making the F6. Already have one, so don't need another, but it's nice to see someone besides Leica still making a high quality film camera.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 08-29-2018   #11
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post

Might be, might be not.
You are correct...Nikon maintains production lines for cameras no longer being made. 🙄

Old 08-29-2018   #12
creenus

Glad they're still making the F6.

I went the Nikon DSLR route for their series of f1.8 lenses: I have a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm, all f1.8 and sharp. At some I can pick up a used F6 and use these lenses.

Old 08-29-2018   #13
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

A worker from Scandinavian Photo told me the same thing in 2017, but they did not sell the camera in one of their shops that I visited, since basically nobody buy it.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 08-29-2018   #14
Huss

F7 - go back to the dials like the F4, improved AF and metering from the D850, dump the menus.

Old 08-29-2018   #15
Takkun
Ian M.

Great to hear. I received mine as a gift about a decade ago, and while I've gotten rid of most of my SLR gear, this is one I just could never part with. Really was the be-all-end-all of film cameras for them, and I haven't used a DSLR that has come close.

Of course, I use it so infrequently I have to relearn all the controls every time...

I like Huss' suggestion too, though. If the Df is as successful as it seems, I don't see why they couldn't do something similar. Chrome body, CLS flash, multi-point AF, keep the data logging but add a SD card for it.

On that note, is the FM3a still around?

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 08-29-2018   #16
css9450

Quote:
Used prices (at least here in my area) are in the 750 - 1300 bucks range depending on the condition.
For that kind of price I just might have to get one for myself.

Old 08-29-2018   #17
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
F7 - go back to the dials like the F4, improved AF and metering from the D850, dump the menus.
plus, compatibility with new lenses, like the new sigma ones and nikon with magnetic aperture or whatever

Old 08-29-2018   #18
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth Ferguson View Post
plus, compatibility with new lenses, like the new sigma ones and nikon with magnetic aperture or whatever
You are as wise as you are a Hogarth.

Yeah, it kinda sux having a production camera not being able to use the latest glass.
But.. the F6 does work great with Sigma Art 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 glass. So not all is lost.

Old 08-29-2018   #19
Skiff

Quote:
F7 - go back to the dials like the F4,
Oh no, please not!!!
The layout with the several double secure / locking knobs of the F4 is just an ergonomic knightmare! One of the reasons I much prefer using my F6 to my F4 (and F5).

In general: The classic dial layout works for a feature-poor camera like a FM / FM2, FE / FE-2, F3 etc.
It does not work at all for a feature-rich camera like a F6 or EOS 1V.
From an ergonomic point of view the F6 is the best SLR ever made (even better than the current DSLRs, because the buttons are better placed as there is no huge LCD on the back which makes an optimal position of some buttons impossible).

Old 08-29-2018   #20
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
For that kind of price I just might have to get one for myself.
Don't dream it, do it .
There are F6 out there available at that price range.

Old 08-29-2018   #21
Skiff

Quote:
You are as wise as you are a Hogarth.
Yeah, it kinda sux having a production camera not being able to use the latest glass.
From my experience it is a minor issue, because there are hundreds of Nikkors (and hundreds of third party lenses with F-mount) which can be used with the F6.
No matter what focal length you need, you will find an excellent lens fitting for the F6.

Quote:
But.. the F6 does work great with Sigma Art 50 1.4 and 35 1.4 glass. So not all is lost.
And it works perfectly with all the wonderful Zeiss ZF / ZF.2 / Milvus / Otus lenses. A dream combination. The outstanding viewfinder of the F6 works extremely well with these manual focus beauties. I use my Zeiss lenses almost exclusively with the F6, and very seldom with my FM, FE-2 and FA.

Old 09-01-2018   #22
Laterna Magica

Thanks for this information. Sometimes important informations about a certain product are hidden in a topic which is completely unrelated.

As the F6 is my favourite SLR, I am glad to read this news. I hope more photographers discover the unique capabilities of the F6 and buy it new so that it can be kept in production for some further years to come.

Old 09-03-2018   #23
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
A friend of mine recently picked up a new F6 after parting with a bunch of gear, his digital body is a D850 so the F6 makes tons of sense.

Old 09-16-2018   #24
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterna Magica View Post
Thanks for this information.
You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterna Magica View Post
Sometimes important informations about a certain product are hidden in a topic which is completely unrelated.
As the F6 is my favourite SLR, I am glad to read this news. I hope more photographers discover the unique capabilities of the F6 and buy it new so that it can be kept in production for some further years to come.
Yes. I completely agree. The F6 is the pinnacle of 35mm SLR design. It really deserves having a very long production life.

Old 09-16-2018   #25
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
A friend of mine recently picked up a new F6 after parting with a bunch of gear, his digital body is a D850 so the F6 makes tons of sense.
That's interesting.
May you ask him what serial number his brand new F6 has?
You then can add it here in this thread about the F6 serial numbers:
https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=148175

The numerous F6 fans here on rff will certainly appreciate that .

Old 09-16-2018   #26
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkun View Post
Great to hear. I received mine as a gift about a decade ago, and while I've gotten rid of most of my SLR gear, this is one I just could never part with. Really was the be-all-end-all of film cameras for them, and I haven't used a DSLR that has come close.

Of course, I use it so infrequently I have to relearn all the controls every time...

I like Huss' suggestion too, though. If the Df is as successful as it seems, I don't see why they couldn't do something similar. Chrome body, CLS flash, multi-point AF, keep the data logging but add a SD card for it.

On that note, is the FM3a still around?
I believe the FM3a is no longer in production. Which I own one. Curious what is so great about the F6? Having never seen nor touched one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-17-2018   #27
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I believe the FM3a is no longer in production.
Correct. Production of the FM3A was discontinued in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Curious what is so great about the F6? Having never seen nor touched one.
If you use one, you will immediately see........
Nikon had the ambition to design the best 35mm SLR ever. And they succeeded with the F6.
Nikon analysed the F5 very intensiveley. And they have asked professional photographers about what they dislike at the F5 (the F5 had some design flaws).
Nikon then improved all these aspects: The F6 has significant improvements compared to the F5 in more than 20 features. All F5 problems, minor and major ones, are completely gone in the F6 (I have both, F5 and F6, so I know for sure).
And the F6 has also some very nice additional features.

You may have a look at the detailed test reports here:
http://www.nikonf6.net/
http://filmbodies.com/cameras/camera...f6-review.html
https://www.casualphotophile.com/201...camera-review/
User reviews at B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...customerReview

Old 09-17-2018   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

The F6 has the best ergonomics of any SLR I have picked up ... it makes my D700 feel like an ugly brick. Skiff is right ... they set out to make the best film SLR ever made and aced it ... everything they learned about film SLRs since the first F went into that camera.

Old 09-17-2018   #29
Fraser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The F6 has the best ergonomics of any SLR I have picked up ... it makes my D700 feel like an ugly brick. Skiff is right ... they set out to make the best film SLR ever made and aced it ... everything they learned about film SLRs since the first F went into that camera.
Almost as good as a Canon 1v

Old 09-17-2018   #30
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Almost as good as a Canon 1v
Can't argue with a Canon fan! lol

Old 09-17-2018   #31
Filter Factor

Indeed, the F6 is a terrific camera and I am certain mine will outlast me! In fact, my son has mine now so perhaps its time for me to get another. The F6 is a great value right now!

Old 11-10-2018   #32
Skiff

And here is another report confirming the current F6 production in Nikon's Sendai factory:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/09...actory?slide=2

Christmas is coming: Why not make a present to yourself by getting a brand new F6. The perfect film camera for the rest of your life ........
I've already made that present to myself some years ago. And I have never regretted it!

Old 11-10-2018   #33
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

[quote=Skiff;2847137]And here is another report confirming the current F6 production in Nikon's Sendai factory:

a brand new F6. The perfect film camera for the rest of your life ........

Agree... and it will encourage Nikon to continue making "The Last F"

As they often say in Leica land..."if Leica fans buy only used Leicas, where shall future used Leicas come from?"

Old 11-22-2018   #34
HHPhoto

[quote=Canyongazer;2847244]
Quote:
And here is another report confirming the current F6 production in Nikon's Sendai factory:

a brand new F6. The perfect film camera for the rest of your life ........

Agree... and it will encourage Nikon to continue making "The Last F"

As they often say in Leica land..."if Leica fans buy only used Leicas, where shall future used Leicas come from?"
+1.
Exactly.
I've bought my F6 and MB-40 also brand new. One of my best photo purchases ever!
And my F6 will never go to the used market, because I will use it until my end .

Cheers, Jan

P.S.: F6 is really a wonderful christmas present for oneself. I gave mine to me at Christmas , too.

Old 11-29-2018   #35
TomK

I bought my F6 brand new 5 months ago, and was planning on keeping it forever. It's a fantastic camera, perfectly built. As long as 35mm is around, I was planning to use it.

I say was planning, because it was stolen this week, along with all of my film gear. As soon as Nikon makes another batch, I'm giving them another $2500. It's a good enough camera to pay Leica money for.

Old 11-29-2018   #36
colker
-

Quote:

And film Leica prices keep going up. Maybe the F6 is a good investment for every one of us.There is nothing like shooting portraits w/ a 180mm ed 2.8 nikon and any of the nikon Fs.

As much as rangefinders are good w/ wide lenses when it comes to long teles, you want the precision viewfinder of slr.

Old 01-26-2019   #37
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
And film Leica prices keep going up. Maybe the F6 is a good investment for every one of us.There is nothing like shooting portraits w/ a 180mm ed 2.8 nikon and any of the nikon Fs.

As much as rangefinders are good w/ wide lenses when it comes to long teles, you want the precision viewfinder of slr.
+1.
As for portraits: Yes, the Nikkor 2.8/180 ED is very good. The current AF-D 2.8/180 ED is even a bit better.
And then there is the unique AF-D 2/105 DC. Outstanding lens! One of the best Nikkors Nikon has ever made. I love mine.

And with the outstanding Zeiss Milvus and Otus lenses there are lots of further perfect tools for the F6, as manual focussing works excellent with it.
E.g. for portrait photographers the 2.0/135 APO-Sonnar and the 1.4/85 Planar (the new design in the Milvus line) are a league of its own. Highly recommended.

For those who are interested in buying a new F6 these tests / reviews / sources are very helpful:
http://filmbodies.com/cameras/camera...f6-review.html
http://www.nikonf6.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-z3ELw9dSc

Old 01-26-2019   #38
zuiko85

Looked in on this thread, although I'm not a Nikon user. What I find interesting is that 'The last man standing.' as it were, are old line camera makers, appropriate I think that Nikon and Leica would continue, in a small way, to keep 35mm alive. And, one each, a SLR and RF.
For casual or hobby users like myself, I'm not the likely purchaser of such equipment. But for someone whose photography pays the bills or someone who has lots of disposable income, I can see the appeal of a brand new camera.
Strangely, while I'm not a potential customer, I find the continued production of these two film cameras comforting.

Old 01-26-2019   #39
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Looked in on this thread, although I'm not a Nikon user. What I find interesting is that 'The last man standing.' as it were, are old line camera makers, appropriate I think that Nikon and Leica would continue, in a small way, to keep 35mm alive. And, one each, a SLR and RF.
It are two RFs to be precise: Because Leica is producing two film M models, the MP and the M-A.
At our rff member meeting at Photokina we visited Leica, too. And Leica told us that the demand for both their film M models is increasing. And that they will definitely continue to produce them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
For casual or hobby users like myself, I'm not the likely purchaser of such equipment. But for someone whose photography pays the bills or someone who has lots of disposable income, I can see the appeal of a brand new camera.
Strangely, while I'm not a potential customer, I find the continued production of these two film cameras comforting.
Buying an F6 or Leica MP / M-A new is not expensive: Because you get an excellent camera which can be used for 35, 40 or even more years. Calculate the amount of money that is per year and you immediately see that it is so tiny that it is negligible.
Much much much cheaper than the 'digital upgrading ratrace' the digital industry is trying to force us / is forcing us into.
The price-performance ratio of a new F6 (or film Leica) is excellent. Real long term value.
That is one of the reasons why I have bought my F6 brand new. My best camera purchase decision ever.

Old 01-26-2019   #40
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
+1.

And then there is the unique AF-D 2/105 DC. Outstanding lens! One of the best Nikkors Nikon has ever made. I love mine.
I've recently bought the 105 DC and it's stunning.

I've come to the conclusion that a new F6 pretty much guarantees me a camera that will most likely see me through. When I've done some rationalisation it may well be my next move.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.