Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders

Konica RF / Zeiss Ikon ZM Leica Mount Rangefinders Konica and Zeiss versions of the AE electronic film rangefinder camera

Old 05-09-2016   #81
michaelbialecki

a couple of more

[/url]Jaipur, India by

Jaipur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 05-09-2016   #82
KM-25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Dexter Haven View Post
Is there a 35mm SLR lens that is 'comparable?' Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or Contax?
The Nikon 35mm 1.4G I have is pretty stunning at least in real actual photographer ( not lens tester ) terms, I would bet you could not tell a heck of a lot of difference when looking at photos like the OP has posted.

The new Zeiss Milvus line is also amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
Something really important that a couple of people have mentioned in another thread in regards to the Leica Summicron ASPH, the pre FLE, the FLE and the Zeiss. They are all very good lenses but the skill of the photographer, the light, the subject etc… are more important than the lens.
Glad you said that, because it is often a super-duper tough watermelon sized pill for a lot of folks to swallow in the photo forum realm. I had the 35mm 1.4 asph and it was spectacular when I was spectacular. Now I have the 35mm 1.4 FLE and again, it is spectacular when I am spectacular.

Old 05-09-2016   #83
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
Glad you said that, because it is often a super-duper tough watermelon sized pill for a lot of folks to swallow in the photo forum realm. I had the 35mm 1.4 asph and it was spectacular when I was spectacular. Now I have the 35mm 1.4 FLE and again, it is spectacular when I am spectacular.
I agree with you 100%. I know quite a few people who are constantly "upgrading" their lenses and cameras (99% Leica stuff) with hopes that their photos will be "better", but they hardly ever are. I sometimes get caught up in it too, because I end up borrowing their gear but unfortunately I can't afford to buy the "newest and best" Leica gear that is constantly coming out. This lens (Zeiss 35mm 1.4 Distagon) is the first lens that I have purchased in about 8 or 9 years, and the lens that it replaced was the 35mm 1.2 which is what I bought 8 or 9 years ago. That said, to each their own and if buying new gear makes you happy, I say go for it. I know that I am more motivated to go out and shoot with this lens because it is "new" to me and I want to try to use it in as many different situations as possible.

[/url]Jodhpur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 05-09-2016   #84
KM-25

Well just keep posting photos and keeping rocking the lens, you have no reason to switch until you decide you have a reason too, even if Zeiss were to come out with a ZM 35mm 1.4-II.

I only switched from my regular 35mm 1.4 to the FLE because of focus shift with my M240, other than that, I was really happy with the first one.

Old 05-09-2016   #85
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Well just keep posting photos and keeping rocking the lens, you have no reason to switch until you decide you have a reason too, even if Zeiss were to come out with a ZM 35mm 1.4-II.

I only switched from my regular 35mm 1.4 to the FLE because of focus shift with my M240, other than that, I was really happy with the first one.
thanks a lot for that comment, it makes a lot of sense.

[/url]Jaipur, India by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 05-09-2016   #86
Huss

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the comments everybody. I was just looking at some of my photos from India and I specifically remember taking this photo thinking that it was going to be a really interesting photo, but when I got my scans back from the lab, I was a little disappointed with the way it came out.

I just spent some time looking at a couple of photos from this quick scene and I decided that this is the one that I like the most, but to be honest, I'm still not too happy with the way it came out. I took this photo literally 2 hours before I got on my plane to depart India and I was really happy with the way that this scene unfolded in front of me.

cheers, michael
It's a bummer that that scooter is partially covering the lady. And it would look better IMO if the dark building front /entry way was not in the image on the right. A crop..
The monkey on the roof with the lady holding the baby on the pavement is great. I would darken the scene a little but dodge the lady holding the baby. The fact that you were aware to capture this scene reflects on your talents.
If this was a McCurry shot, he would just have his people remove all the distracting elements etc etc.

Old 05-09-2016   #87
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
It's a bummer that that scooter is partially covering the lady. And it would look better IMO if the dark building front /entry way was not in the image on the right. A crop..
The monkey on the roof with the lady holding the baby on the pavement is great. I would darken the scene a little but dodge the lady holding the baby. The fact that you were aware to capture this scene reflects on your talents.
If this was a McCurry shot, he would just have his people remove all the distracting elements etc etc.
haha, that McCurry comment is hilarious. I just went back and looked at some of the other photos from that scene, but I think they are even more distracting elements in them than the one I posted. That is definitely one of the photos that is going to haunt me for a awhile because I really thought I had something that was better than what I actually got. Leson learned.

cheers, michael

Old 05-09-2016   #88
Taipei-metro

Great photos Michael! Really inspiring!
Thanks for posting.

Old 05-09-2016   #89
fer_fdi

Quote:
a couple of more

cheers, michael
Really beautiful Michael!

Which film was used?

(btw, it seems the links to Flickr are broken)

Old 05-09-2016   #90
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer_fdi View Post
Really beautiful Michael!

Which film was used?

(btw, it seems the links to Flickr are broken)
thanks a lot Taipei-Metro and fer_fdi.

What do you mean the links are broken, fer_fdi ?

Do you mean you can't see the photos or the text hanging off the end of my photos? I am not that computer savvy so if anyone else has any problems viewing these photos please let me know how I can correct it.

cheers, michael

edit : I used Kodak Pro Image 100 on 99% of these photos, there might be one or two shot on Portra 400 but I doubt it. I think I only shot a couple of rolls of Portra 400 on my trip and they were mostly at night and I am not really happy with any of those photos.

2nd edit: thanks splitimageview for that info

Old 05-09-2016   #91
splitimageview

They are viewing fine for me

Old 05-09-2016   #92
CK Dexter Haven

Quote:
The Nikon 35mm 1.4G I have is pretty stunning at least in real actual photographer ( not lens tester ) terms, I would bet you could not tell a heck of a lot of difference when looking at photos like the OP has posted.

The new Zeiss Milvus line is also amazing.
Thanks. I'll look into these.

Old 05-09-2016   #93
Huss

Quote:

cheers, michael
Goodness, these are the nicest colours I've ever seen from India.

Old 05-29-2016   #94
michaelbialecki

A couple of photos from Yangon, Myanmar

[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 05-29-2016   #95
michaelbialecki

I was at the Yangon Central Railway Station taking photos and it started to rain, so I just hung around and tried to look for interesting things to photograph. At one point I changed film in one of my cameras and was looking for a trash bin to put the empty plastic canister but I couldn't find one, so I put it on a shelf hoping that a local trash collector would pick it up soon, well about a minute later I saw these two boys collecting rain water with it and using it as a cup. One boy was drinking from the canister and the other boy was using the lid to catch water and drink it. I was able to shoot a couple of photos before the scene ended.
[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 05-29-2016   #96
michaelbialecki

I am starting to get used to this lens, now I just need to purchase a lens hood. For some reason, the camera shops in Thailand don't have any lens hoods for this lens.

[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 06-01-2016   #97
michaelbialecki

a couple of more photos

[/url]Yangon by

Yangon by

Yangon by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 06-02-2016   #98
Rayt

Michael, Looking at these photos I doubt whatever lens you use mattered much. Well done!

Old 10-20-2016   #99
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Michael, Looking at these photos I doubt whatever lens you use mattered much. Well done!
Thanks a lot Ray

I shot this one in Nakhon Pathom the other morning. I found out recently that I got a job promotion, so I will be moving back to Bangkok soon. I have been trying to shoot a lot in the small town that I have been living in for the last 2 years and 4 months. I am excited that I will be back in Bangkok, but I will miss this small town for so many reasons.

[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

Nakhon Pathom
Nakhon Pathom by [url[/IMG]

Nakhon Pathom
[/url]Nakhon Pathom by

Nakhon Pathom
Nakhon Pathom by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 10-20-2016   #100
michaelbialecki

One of my good friends out here in Bangkok asked me if I would help him shoot some photos using his Ice-Lights. I was totally out of my element on this shoot. I was using his digital M240 and a Noctilux, but I also had my M6ttl and my 35mm 1.4 Zeiss with me and I managed to shoot a couple of photos on Kodak Pro Image 100 film.

[/url]Bangkok by

I had the privilege of taking Arto Saari out for one of my Bangkok Photo Walks and we had an excellent time.
Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 10-20-2016   #101
michaelbialecki

Bangkok
[/url]Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 10-20-2016   #102
mingkookoo

Wonderful pics Michael! Thanks for sharing

Old 10-20-2016   #103
rumbliegeos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
I agree. The lens is clearly wonderful, but I think you could take sensational street portraits using an Agfa Clack.

Old 10-20-2016   #104
Huss

I always look forward to Michael posting more!

Old 10-20-2016   #105
BLKRCAT
99% Film

It's badass you got to shoot with Arto. He's been a favourite of mine since I was a kid. (skateboarding).

But the shots look a little too oversharpened for my taste.

Old 10-20-2016   #106
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
It's badass you got to shoot with Arto. He's been a favourite of mine since I was a kid. (skateboarding).

But the shots look a little too oversharpened for my taste.
Thanks a lot guys for the comments. I looked up an Agfa Clack and it looks cool, thanks for that.

Hey BLKRCAT,

I don't do any post processing on my photos so I don't sharpen anything, that said it is a sharp lens. BTW, I sent you a private message

Thanks again everybody, I've been shooting a lot but I've been lazy on posting stuff., I need to get on the ball.

Cheers, michael

Old 10-21-2016   #107
michaelbialecki

Here are a couple more photos from last week.

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

Bangkok by

cheers,
michael

Old 10-22-2016   #108
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Michael,
As do many others I find your work revealing and appealing.
As you have many shots from a close distance it makes me wonder:
Do you spend much time engaging with the subjects and then shoot after asking permission?
Is there a language barrier?
Clearly these are not the typical Gun and Run street photography .
I noticed only one shot where a subject seemed somewhat hostile or annoyed (and he might not have been)

Anyway, thoroughly enjoy your work and the obvious passion you bring to it.
Keep 'em coming!

CG

Old 10-22-2016   #109
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyongazer View Post
Michael,
As do many others I find your work revealing and appealing.
As you have many shots from a close distance it makes me wonder:
Do you spend much time engaging with the subjects and then shoot after asking permission?
Is there a language barrier?
Clearly these are not the typical Gun and Run street photography .
I noticed only one shot where a subject seemed somewhat hostile or annoyed (and he might not have been)

Anyway, thoroughly enjoy your work and the obvious passion you bring to it.
Keep 'em coming!

CG
Hi CG,

Thanks for the message. You asked some good questions and I will try my best to answer them. I sometimes shoot first then engage my subjects if the opportunity presents itself, and then I may shoot a couple of more photos after that. As far as a language barrier goes, I speak Thai, but I don't think that really plays a big part in my photography, because I travel all over the world and I basically photograph the same way here as I do in other countries.

I am big guy (6 feet and around 185 lbs), and I stick out so much in this part of the world that it is impossible for me to blend in, that said, I don't really think about it too much when I am taking photos. I try to approach my subjects with respect and in a non threatening way and I imagine the people are aware that I am taking their photo. If someone looks at me in a way that I think they don't want me to take their photo, then I don't take any photos and I say sorry and move on.

Honestly, I think it is all about the way I approach people and take photos, I think that some people are shy to approach strangers on the street, and try to take "sneaky photos" but I don't do that. I don't hide my camera and I don't try to "sneak photos". I guess it's just my style. I have gone shooting with some other rff members, SimonSawSunlight would be one those people and we went off the beaten track out here and explored some side streets and hidden corners in my town. We stumbled upon a pig slaughter house and we were able to shoot there for about 20-30 minutes. My Thai friends told me that it would be "impossible" to shoot at a pig farm, but it wasn't. Maybe we got lucky, who knows, but it was an awesome experience and I am glad that I got to do it with Simon.

Below are a couple of photos that I think you can see where I engaged my subjects and those that I didn't.
[/url]a170 by

a161 by

a133 by

a126 by

a96 by

a55 by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 10-22-2016   #110
michaelbialecki

Yangon, Myanmar….
[/url]Yangon, Myanmar by

Yangon, Myanmar….
Yangon, Myanmar by [url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 10-23-2016   #111
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I admire your approach and results. Alas, my personality makes it difficult to emulate. From time to time I consciously try to but , for me, it feels unnatural.

btw, fellow RFF member Bob Michaels uses much the same approach as do you.
AFAIK, he works in close, always, or almost always, with a 28mm, figuratively and literally immersing himself in the culture.
You've probably seen his work but, just in case...
http://bobmichaels.org/Cuba%20photos%202014/

CG

Old 12-18-2016   #112
po-stit

Why this lens doesnt get any more love in here? It seems baffling to me why such a great lens, at such a great price, hardly ever gets any attention. Awesome pictures in here. Please keep them coming.

Old 02-17-2017   #113
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-stit View Post
Why this lens doesnt get any more love in here? It seems baffling to me why such a great lens, at such a great price, hardly ever gets any attention. Awesome pictures in here. Please keep them coming.
Thanks Canoyongazer and yes, I am aware of Bob Michaels work and I am fan of his.

Good question po-stit and to be honest, I have no idea. I just spent some time shooting with my friend's Angenieux Paris 50mm/1.5 Type S21 which is an expensive lens. I shot it side by side with my 35mm 1.4 Distagon and I prefer the look of my Zeiss lens. I am aware that one is a 35mm and one is a 50mm and there is a considerable age difference between the two lenses, but to be honest I am over the "hype" of lenses and I just prefer to use something that I like, regardless if it is a popular lens or not.

I also used my friend's 28mm Summilux, and I really want one. I like 28mm lenses a lot, and I like the "look" of it at 1.4. Anyways, here are some photos that I shot recently around Bangkok with my 35mm 1.4 Distagon lens.

[/url]
This man was washing seafood out on the street in front of the restaurant where he works.

[url[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-17-2017   #114
michaelbialecki

A couple of more recent photos from Bangkok.

[/url]
I was in a trendy area of Bangkok (Siam Square) and I saw this high school student in front of me with a Billingham bag, and I had to take a photo of her.

self portrait (sort of)

Bangkok is notorious for having awful traffic and crowded sidewalks with street vendors selling all sorts of things. While it may be a nuisance for some, I absolutely love living here because of these things.

[url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 02-17-2017   #115
Huss

Dang Michael!
The infant looking out of the bus matching the gaze of the ad, the artwork revealing the seated man, the lady and man on the bus with their hands to their heads.
So good!

Old 03-31-2017   #116
jonmanjiro

The ZM Distagon 35/1.4 and Cinestill 800 are a match made in heaven!

Old 03-31-2017   #117
Huss

Sweet shots Jon! And I agree about Cinestill. I love the halos!

Old 04-02-2017   #118
michaelbialecki

I am so happy you posted these photos here and on Instagram Jon. You just helped me to decide on what extra film to bring with me to India next week.

Old 04-02-2017   #119
the_jim

I found a used but mint, in-box copy here in Portland for a song. Couldn't pass it up. 35mm is my favorite focal length. I have the Biogon 35/2 and have never really liked it. I had been using the 35mm 1.4 ZA on my A7 and the image quality is excellent...but it is gigantic.

The 1.4 ZM is such a lovely lens. Central sharpness, wide-open is on par with with the 55mm 1.8 ZA (which is to say, it is crazy sharp). Tonality and rendering are wonderful - it draws so confidently. I have found it to be particularly strong at closer distances for portraiture. Though, it is excellent all-around as the many great images in this thread indicate.

Here are a couple of my snaps.

Jay by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Jenny by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Dad by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Dad by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Corey by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Old 04-07-2017   #120
michaelbialecki

A couple of recent ones from Bangkok