Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > News

Main Menu
:









old 11-20-2018  
28246
Timmyjoe Timmyjoe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,847
Leica M10 at a VERY LOW Price

Trying to wrap my head around this, and if anyone is looking at purchasing a Leica M10 in the near future, you may want to check this out.

Spoke with a person at Popflash Photo and according to him, and their web site, Popflash has brand new Leica M10 cameras with full Leica factory warranty, all brand new in the box, for $5788. Not sure how they can do that, the salesperson said they got a special deal from Leica. Have not seen the same deal thru B&H or other retailers.

I have no connection with Popflash, save being a customer of theirs. They've always been straight with me in the past. Just find this really baffling, and wish I had the $5788 as I'd pick one up.

https://www.popflash.com

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Best,
-Tim

 




News Jump:
RFF News
« Previous | Next »
You Rated this Thread:

old 11-20-2018
Huss
Registered User
Tim, they show it as a used camera:

LEICA M10 BLACK DIGITAL RANGEFINDER CAMERA BODY #20000 MINT!
PRODUCT # 20000SPEC
LEICA CERTIFIED CAMERA
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION
LEICA USA 2 YEAR WARRANTY
9.98 out of 10 Mint Condition
ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF WEAR
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
Timmyjoe
Registered User
Yeah Huss, I saw that too and so I called them. They said they have to list it like that because Leica forbids any retailer from listing any of their new cameras for under MSRP. But they said the M10 cameras they have are brand new in the box, USA cameras, with a full two year Leica factory warranty.

Like I said above, I find it baffling, and if it were some retailer I'd never dealt with before, I'd be very suspicious, but I've had very good experiences dealing with Popflash over the years.

So, There Ya Go. Don't really understand it, but seems like someone could get a very good deal.

Best,
-Tim
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
MCTuomey
Registered User
I have bought two cameras from popflash that were priced as you describe, or what I interpreted to be similar to other stores' "open box" pricing, meaning a camera priced below MSRP because the seller doesn't consider it fully factory new.

The cameras were as popflash represented without any issues at all. Tony Rose and the popflash staff are first-rate in my opinion and have served me very well on a number of purchases.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
Huss
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Yeah Huss, I saw that too and so I called them. They said they have to list it like that because Leica forbids any retailer from listing any of their new cameras for under MSRP. But they said the M10 cameras they have are brand new in the box, USA cameras, with a full two year Leica factory warranty.

Like I said above, I find it baffling, and if it were some retailer I'd never dealt with before, I'd be very suspicious, but I've had very good experiences dealing with Popflash over the years.

So, There Ya Go. Don't really understand it, but seems like someone could get a very good deal.

Best,
-Tim
Very interesting! Great for any buyer out there!
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
Vince Lupo
Registered User
If you want even more of a deal, there’s a used one in the classifieds here that’s going for $4900 (I have no connection to the seller).

Is it me or are the M10’s dropping in price quicker than previous digital M models? It’s not like the M11 is coming out anytime soon.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
majid
Fazal Majid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Is it me or are the M10ís dropping in price quicker than previous digital M models? Itís not like the M11 is coming out anytime soon.
No, but Nikon and Canon have released full-frame mirrorless cameras, and Panasonic and Sigma will release full-frame mirrorless cameras compatible with Leica SL and TL lenses (great video to be expected from Panasonic, outstanding low-ISO IQ from the Sigma Foveon). Also Nikon's thinner optical stack would be a better fit for adapted Leica M lenses than Sony's thick one.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
ellisson
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
I have bought two cameras from popflash that were priced as you describe, or what I interpreted to be similar to other stores' "open box" pricing, meaning a camera priced below MSRP because the seller doesn't consider it fully factory new.

The cameras were as popflash represented without any issues at all. Tony Rose and the popflash staff are first-rate in my opinion and have served me very well on a number of purchases.
+1 re: Popflash. As noted, these items are essentially new and come with the same warranty as a new item.

The number of used M10s for sale is increasing as owners are upgrading to the 10-P. Some downward price pressure in the used M10 market.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
benlees
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
If you want even more of a deal, there’s a used one in the classifieds here that’s going for $4900 (I have no connection to the seller).

Is it me or are the M10’s dropping in price quicker than previous digital M models? It’s not like the M11 is coming out anytime soon.
It doesn't seem that long a go when people were selling for above MSRP. I'm guessing there are more on the market; not selling as well as they thought or Leica has produced too many but are demanding that units move.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
splitimageview
Registered User
These are indeed new, unused.

This is not a new development; it simply a way to advertise for less than Leica MAP (‘minimum advertised price’.)

I bought my M8 from Tony back in about 2007 in this fashion.

No better Leica dealer in the world, just wish Leica weren’t so poor with support on their digitals but that is for another discussion.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-20-2018
Contarama
Registered User
Gosh darn short sellers
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Huss
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
No, but Nikon and Canon have released full-frame mirrorless cameras, and Panasonic and Sigma will release full-frame mirrorless cameras compatible with Leica SL and TL lenses (great video to be expected from Panasonic, outstanding low-ISO IQ from the Sigma Foveon). Also Nikon's thinner optical stack would be a better fit for adapted Leica M lenses than Sony's thick one.
I have an M240, and bought a Z7 instead of an M10 as the M10 does not give me anything that my M240 doesnt, while the Z7 gives me so much more.
I just got some adapters for the Z7, so will see how it deals with Leica glass.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Dralowid
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Yeah Huss, I saw that too and so I called them. They said they have to list it like that because Leica forbids any retailer from listing any of their new cameras for under MSRP. But they said the M10 cameras they have are brand new in the box, USA cameras, with a full two year Leica factory warranty.

Like I said above, I find it baffling, and if it were some retailer I'd never dealt with before, I'd be very suspicious, but I've had very good experiences dealing with Popflash over the years.

So, There Ya Go. Don't really understand it, but seems like someone could get a very good deal.

Best,
-Tim
It was ever thus. Years ago I bought a brand new M6TTL from one of the main London agents for below MSRP. It was described as 'display' but came with everything.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Peter Wijninga
Registered User
I bought from them before. This said, anyone recovering from GAS...do not go there!
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Timmyjoe
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I have an M240, and bought a Z7 instead of an M10 as the M10 does not give me anything that my M240 doesnt, while the Z7 gives me so much more.
I just got some adapters for the Z7, so will see how it deals with Leica glass.
Huss, I'd be VERY INTERESTED in how your Leica glass works on the Nikon Z7. Please share with us your experiences.

Best,
-Tim
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Timmyjoe
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
. . . anyone recovering from GAS...do not go there!
OMG Peter, I couldn't agree more. I won't even Bookmark their web page because whenever I visit, there are ten new things I want to buy.

Best,
-Tim
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
raid
Dad Photographer
Be strong. Stay away. Take photos.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
willie_901
Registered User
I am happy with all the transactions I've made with Popflash.

Over the years I bought a Zeiss Ikon body, Zeiss M lenses and a bunch of Fujifilm gear.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
airfrogusmc
Registered User
I was planning on picking up another M 10 by the end of the year. I decided to just bite the bullet and just order one. Free shipping and no tax. Gotta love it. Thanks Timmy for the heads up. Probably saved 2 k from if I would have bought local.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
raid
Dad Photographer
Good for you! Enjoy your second M10 (at such a good price).
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
airfrogusmc
Registered User
thanks Raid. It will make a few things easier with my pro work. My go to camera for my personal work is still the MM.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-21-2018
Timmyjoe
Registered User
I think we may have caused too much excitement about this. Popflash just raised the price by $200 to $5988.

Also noticed they have Leica M Monochrome (Typ 246) cameras for $6988, and they seem to be the same deal as the M10's, new in box with full Leica factory warranty.

I picked a lousy time to be short on cash. Oh well.

Best,
-Tim
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-26-2018
airfrogusmc
Registered User
Arrived today as described. New in box.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-26-2018
Timmyjoe
Registered User
Congratulations.

Best,
-Tim
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-26-2018
raid
Dad Photographer
Excellent buy.
Congrats.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-26-2018
airfrogusmc
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Congratulations.

Best,
-Tim
Again thanks so much for the heads up Tim.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-26-2018
airfrogusmc
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Excellent buy.
Congrats.
Thanks Raid.
Report Post  
Edit
old 11-27-2018
Deardorff38
Registered User
“VERY LOW” price.....definitely 1st world....��
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
JPSuisse
Registered User
Tony is a good guy.

I had one camera that was acting up. I sent it in to Leica Germany twice, and they could find no problem. Finally, I sent it to Tony, who played with the camera, saw the problem and complained to get it fixed. Result: bad board. Since the first return was done under warranty, Tony also still got the repair covered under warranty. (Even though a full year had lapsed on the warranty by then.)

Needless to say, I have bought a lot of stuff there. Everything I purchased there new or used, was properly represented.
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
Huss
Registered User
JP what camera was it?”
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
Leicabug
Registered User
Too bad I live in California... Sales tax took away price advantage.
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
michaelbialecki
Registered User
I would love to get one
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
raid
Dad Photographer
Who wouldn't, Michael.
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
Ronald M
Registered User
I bought a 90 mm F4 macro from them listed a used/mint. It was shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in 3 days.

Some user without hands must have been the original purchaser because it was unmarked and all original packaging still in tact.

My conclusion it is grey market and somehow POP F gets a cut. Leica warrantees are international and honored unlike Nikon who will not touch grey market even if you pay them.
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
JPSuisse
Registered User
Huss, a little OT, but the camera was my M8. It kept locking up with a blinking red light. The start with the M8 was bad. None of my lenses would focus and the camera kept locking up.

However, after (1.) I sent all my lenses back to Leica Germany for "adjusting"
and (2.) Tony got the main board replaced, the M8 became a great camera and has taken a hell of a beating too.

I still use it as no further digital M seems to make a big enough improvement for me to want to ante up the money. Further, I love the color, the sharpness and the small file size. Overall, I liked the M10 but the fake film advance lever kind of blew it for me.
Report Post  
Edit
old 4 Weeks Ago
james.liam
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
I think we may have caused too much excitement about this. Popflash just raised the price by $200 to $5988.

Best,
-Tim
It's actually $5608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald M View Post
I bought a 90 mm F4 macro from them listed a used/mint. It was shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in 3 days.

Some user without hands must have been the original purchaser because it was unmarked and all original packaging still in tact.

My conclusion it is grey market and somehow POP F gets a cut. Leica warrantees are international and honored unlike Nikon who will not touch grey market even if you pay them.
Popflash is an authorized Leica USA dealer. He wouldn't be involved in grey market items. I know that he does business with clients in East Asia; he told me once his prices end in "8" because it's considered a 'lucky' number amongst Chinese. Tony Rose will be up front if you asked him why it came from Hong Kong.
Report Post  
Edit
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

RangeFinderForum > News


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:58.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels