Initial impressions Sigma dp2m

For those who are exporting to TIFF to work in another raw processor, what are your export settings?

One of the real drags about the SPP software is that you can't batch process and use settings for minus noise reduction.

I'm using SPP only for conversion, which I do one image at a time so that I can manually set noise reduction to -2.

There are people who are then applying cornerfix to some images. I haven't bothered yet to make a profile.

Also some people will set a profile for importing TIFFs into LR.

I was able to figure out my workflow last night... and it'll take double the time of my usual workflow. However, I think it'll be worth it. The only issue with the DP2m results is that it makes the rest of my cameras seem soft.

I do batch conversion... however, after you tweak images in SPP, you have to save each one. Then export as custom instead of the sigma file type. Seems to work for me.

I haven't seen the need for cornerfix.

The only issue with the DP2m results is that it makes the rest of my cameras seem soft.

seeing statements like this, and seeing full size sample pics, is making the dp2m hard to resist. the corner to corner clarity is unlike anything i've seen in small format.

seeing statements like this, and seeing full size sample pics, is making the dp2m hard to resist. the corner to corner clarity is unlike anything i've seen in small format.

Yes, but be prepared to use it in its proper niche. Unlike other cameras on this site, the owners of this camera seem to all agree on its pros and cons.

Yes, but be prepared to use it in its proper niche.

That's exactly the cause of my hesitation. Week-to-week most of my stuff is high iso interior. Not a good fit. When I have a chance I do get out and shoot low/lower ISO landscapes, etc., but that is far less often. It may make more sense for me to wait for a used one for something I won't use as much as a high iso camera.

I've been searching for interior flash shots with the dp2m but haven't found that many. I'm not shy about using an external bounce flash so perhaps I could use it that way. But I understand that's not its strongest niche.

I've been searching for interior flash shots with the dp2m but haven't found that many.

Any links for these? I ask because I have experimented with a Nikon SB-28 and my 2M.

I don't think my results, so far, are what you are looking for ... :eek:

Any links for these? I ask because I have experimented with a Nikon SB-28 and my 2M.

i vaguely remember seeing at least one flash shot in dpreview, but if i recall correctly it may have been a studio shot rather than a shot with a single flash.

i currently use MF film with flash indoors and am happy with the results. i'm curious if the dp2m with flash might give similar results since i see it so often compared to MF, albeit in landscapes.

here it is, looks like a studio set up: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3285608#forum-post-50089127

here's another dpr link, which has a link to a flickr set with a bunch of photos taken with the dp2m with flash:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3284471#forum-post-50075037

Last edited:
I'm assuming, which I shouldn't, that the Sigma hotshoe will trigger a generic thyristor flash like the Metz 20 C-2. Does the DPM2 trigger your SB-28?

I couldn't find any smaller Sigma bounce flashes and I'd rather not use one of their huge flashes on a P&S.

It does trigger it, but that is about it!

Doesn't see it in the menu, etc...

I will have a play again tonight!

Okay, thanks. I'm guessing only Sigma flashes will be linked to the DP2M and its menus. For other cameras I've had good luck with using thyristor flashes and setting the ISO and fstop according to the chart on the back of the flash to get a reasonable exposure, even if I can't see anything on the menus.

I suspect that this has been posted previously, but this open letter from Michael Reichmann seems spot on.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml

"Dear Yamaki-san, You and I have never met, but I am an enthusiastic user of some of your products, in particular your new DP2 Merrill and DP1 Merrill cameras. My recent review of the DP2M and the one on the DP1M on this page bear testament to this.
I am writing this letter publicly, because I believe that I speak for a large number (though obviously not all) Sigma camera owners. This site reaches 1.4 Million individual readers world-wide each month.
I believe that many users of sophisticated imaging devices like the new Merrill cameras are being let down by not being able to process raw files in any program other than your provided SIGMA Photo Pro. The vast majority of advanced photographers, in particular those likely to use your Merrill cameras, use other cameras as well, and are almost certain to already be using raw processing software from Adobe, Apple, or Phase One, the big three of raw processing software.
I therefore would request one of two things. Either make available all the information required by these companies to support your camera's unique abilities, so that they are able to do so without the difficult (and unlikely) job of reverse engineering your unique file structure and processing. Or, please build into SPP the ability to export a DNG file, which can then be read universally, and which can contain your proprietary image processing. As you know, DNG is an open standard and available without license.
At the moment Sigma X3 files from the Merrill cameras are among the most remarkable files I have ever seen, from any camera, especially when it comes to per-pixel resolution. Every other camera maker in the world provides information and support to the major raw software makers so that their cameras can be supported, many even before product launch. Sigma finds itself disadvantged by not doing this, or by not supporting a universal raw export format that can be read by other programs. This indeed may be a preferable approach since it would mean immediate support when new models come available, and wouldn't require providing on-going support and disclosure to third parties.
Please make this a priority. Right now Sigma Merrill X3 are the only raw files in the world from any camera maker that can not be worked on in third party raw software, some of which has superior capabilities and which would allow these camera's owners to extract everytting possible from these files. Hasselblad, Leica, and Pentax are among those directly supporting DNG from their cameras, while every other camera maker works closely to ensure that their raw files are supported in each revision of major third party programs. Phase One even works closely with Adobe so that Lightroom and Camera Raw support Phase One cameras, even though they are competitors in the raw software arena.
I urge Sigma to do similarly.
With respect,
Sincerely,
Michael Reichmann
Publisher – The Luminous Landscape"

Mr. Reichmann's letter seems to have gotten no response unfortunately (unless Mr. Reichmann is no longer into the DP series and his review is old news to him).

I'm guessing that Kazuto Yamaki has a lot on his agenda given that his father just recently passed. Given the nature of the letter, he would not respond with a 'no', or 'maybe'. The only response expected from me would be to ignore, or comply with the request. They haven't made the best marketing moves with their Fovean technology. Hopefully, they will discover the benefits of making life easier for their customers.... ie.. improved sales.

They haven't made the best marketing moves with their Fovean technology.

I recall reading *somewhere* that they (Sigma) were making a concerted effort to reverse this and some of the bad press that has followed them. It may have even been on the Sigma site??? If I can find a link, I'll repost.

Which battery? I'd like to buy one.

More initial impressions. This camera can be too sharp... especially in very contrasty scenes. Also, the dynamic range feels worse than all of my other cameras (fuji X series and Leica M8). You really have to be careful with this camera in order to get the best out of it. Meter seems very sensitive too. Haven't figured out the best metering mode.

Are you shooting RAW and processing in SPP? I find the dynamic range pretty huge, at least the equal of a DR200 XPro JPEG. I can usually recover 1.5 stops in the highlights without issue, but if you blow a channel watch out (see below). But the out of camera JPEGs show fairly low DR.

SDIM0212_spp by ndjedinak, on Flickr

Here's a shot I intentionally took high-key, but just wanted to play with in DPP to see what I got. These arcs are fairly common if you blow a channel.

SDIM0050_spp by ndjedinak, on Flickr

Sometimes I think ISO200 has more headroom, although this is just a feeling, I haven't done enough testing to confirm. ISO400 is still good but you can get banding in shadows, SPP now has a tool to deal with this.

SDIM0166_spp by ndjedinak, on Flickr

I look forward to my DP2M sitting under the Christmas tree :D

I finally made a print from the DP2m and all I have to say is wow. It's 20x30" and I can see every single little detail (even the smallest background text) and no artifacts of any kind. Amazing camera really.

I also made prints at this size from the M8 with a 35mm C-Biogon and a M9 with 50mm Summicron for comparison. At this size, the DP2m was the winner in sharpness and resolution. The more shocking thing was that an up rezzed M8 file wasn't to far off from the M9 with regards to sharpness and resolution.

I ran a 24x36 in October from mine and feel the same way.

It is difficult to talk about the results from the Merrills without using excessive superlatives ... one might be accused of being a fanboy!

Back