Help choosing paper and developer

Ed Weatherly

Established
Local time
8:46 PM
I just started developing film again a couple of months ago and last weekend stumbled across an enlarger and darkrom equipment for free. I snatched up a mint Beseler 23C and a bunch of misc stuff to go with it. I now need some advice on chemicals and paper.

I am shooting mostly Tri-X and developing some in Rodinal and some in D76. I am thinking about getting some VC RC paper to start with and print contact sheets and do some experimentation. I love the look of fiber based paper and good B&W photos. Can you suggest a good resin coated paper and maybe a fiber based one as well?

I am also wondering about developer for paper and am considering Dektol. Pros and cons of using Dektol for RC paper and fiber based?

Any help is appreciated!

I find Dektol a good developer, but not worth the hassle of mixing it. Combined with it's relatively short storage life means I never use it anymore. Dektol & Selectol Soft were my go to developers for many years, but the newer liquids are far better IMO. I've never liked having chemistry go bad before I finish it, and now I'm a fan of liquid concentrates, especially the Moersch ECO 4812, which has an incredible storage life even as a mixed working strength solution (months in a full container- really). Well worth the premium it costs even if you print only occasionally. The Sprint Quicksilver is an excellent Dektol-like developer (neutral tones, good activity) but the concentrate will outlast Dektol Stock solution by a long shot.

Ilford Multigrade and Seagull VC are the fiber papers I use the most. They offer plenty of latitude and that great fiber base surface at a reasonable price. The Adox papers are exceptionally nice, but pricey- their Vario Warmtone is perhaps the nicest paper I've ever used. FOMA makes some beautiful papers as well, the Variant 111 is a favorite of mine in glossy and the 532 in Matte. And it seems like soon we'll have Polywarmtone back! Something to look forward to as you get your darkroom chops back.

I agree about the problems with Dektol - short half life after the toil of getting into solution, but I keep coming back to it. I like the cool tones and sharpness that I get with it. The Sprint developers were ok, but hard to find and more expensive to use. The Ilford developers are too warm toned for me. So, every so often after straying away from Dektol, I return home to the tried and true.

To start I would suggest using Ilford paper & developer...They have some very nice RC papers in Glossy, Pearl (Satin) & Matte finishes...along with that they have Liquid Concentrate Developers in Neutral and Warmtone...they also work fine with FB Paper...
Depending where you live in California there's Samy's Camera & Calumet that should carry these items...
The 23C is a great enlarger (I have one too) If it doesn't have a color head you might want to find Polycontrast Filters of one brand or another..maybe you have some somewhere in all this stuff you just bought...
Also a good Timer (Digital) makes making contact prints and test strips so much easier and repeatable...Good Luck in your new journey...

Thank you all! This is exactly what I had hoped for here. Looks like Ilford is a good way to go with other strong contenders. I will get my Freestyle order going soon. Hopefully in time to get some prints over the long Thanksgiving weekend and Christmas break.

Ilford multi developer, Arista paper and new CE Rokkor 80mm enlarger lens. I am getting closer to doing some printing on my own. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Back