M2 or M4?

Probably the M4 for a couple of reasons. First, it has the quick load system which is much faster than the older system used with the M2. You can get a rapid load system for the M2 and M3, but they're not easy to come by. I also like the faster rewind with the tilted rewind knob and lever, although again you can put a rewind crank on the M2. The M2 has just three frames, the M4 has four - 35, 50, 90, and 135. Neither one has a frame for the 75. If you can, at least handle both.

I prefer the M4 loading and rewind but prefer the M2 viewfinder without the 135mm framelines. Longest lens I use personally is a 10.5cm Nikkor. Tried the 135 focal length a few times but just can't get behind it. If i want to use something that long I feel like I'll go a bit longer to 180mm and use an SLR.

I also love those DOF notches in the M2 RF patch. I wish my M4 had those.

Phil Forrest

If it is your only camera maybe you can find useful some features of the M4. In my case, due to the less cluttered viewfinder and beauty, I chose the M2. In equally good conditions I was able to spend also quite a bit less.

I would pick M2, in fact I just bought one. I had M6 and M7 (same design like M4) in the past, the rewind knob is marvelous but it is easy to get knocked out when bump onto something.

if you are used to the cameras the effective differences in actual use are insignificant for your photography. I use both a lot and I can load both very quickly (I'm not so sure the "new" system is necessarily quicker, you always need both hands to reload an M2 though) and I really don't miss the 135mm "framelines" in my M2s. a screw-on rewind crank for the M2 helps big time if you want/need fast reloading. M2s tend to be a little smoother and maybe a little less noisy than the M4 sometimes.

I have two M2s. I'd have an M2 and an M4 if I wasn't anal retentive about having identical cameras. If I ever have a third camera it'll probably be an M4.

I don't find the "quick loading" of the M4 to be quicker or easier.

I like the M2/M3 style flash plug better than pc-sync. Even more-so considering that you can have Paramount make you a custom cable. Their cables are awesome :)

I like the look of the M4 frame counter but the function of the M2 is better.

I have both - I prefer the M4 - as others said - loading, rewind, flash plug. YMMV
Can't go wrong with either

Using both since more than 40 years.

I still remember of what I felt when I bought my first M4 in 1970 while having the M2 and M3; a better product, a better class of usability. Loading was something we've always wished Leitz to "modernize" (compared to the Japanese cameras then). Rewind crank was most welcome. Simply the M4 has been regarded as being the "improved Leica" those years.

Although the M2 looks like the "Plain Jane" version of the classical M-Leicas, from the quality point of view, I regard the first three M-models as the pinnacle of Leica's "Feinmechanik" workmanship; meaning you can not go wrong with any of these three and the differences are only in the details. Whether these differences are worth of the price difference, you only can decide for it.

M2 hands down. It has a better feel to it, and its design and simplicity shows Leica's peak of camera manufacturing, old school!

Back