The Monochrom as a landscape camera.

Amazing pictures

Amazing pictures

As a diehard film fan, I must say that the Leica Monochrom represents the first time that i would consider going over to Leica digital, especially after seeing these amazing shots. Thanks for posting !

Wow. Those are truly stunning. Thanks for showing what you can do with the Monochrom.

And I have also found my little Perar 35 to be a very worthwhile companion.

Thankyou C R ... your images were exactly what I wanted to see. I think the MM will be used a lot for street and general shooting but I have to suspect it's unique qualities are suited to studied landscapes and still life as well.

@Carsten - first one is my fav. amazing shots. thanks for sharing.

here are some, the only filter i got is a hoya r72 filter - still got a hard time getting those colored filters in this side of the world...

L1000519_122012.jpg

L1000155_112012.jpg

L1000167_112012.jpg

I looked at those then went back and looked at CR's images and I have to say Ming Thein's images don't do a lot for me ... maybe it's the post processing but they seem harsh and overly contrasty. More the look I'd expect to see in street photography.

That seems to be the beauty of the files from the MM, there is so much latitude to process them in any way you see fit.

Thank you :) Raymond and Cal, I have no MM prints... :bang:
Well, you should start having some Baryta prints made and you will see how crappy these shots look on a computer...;):p
Seriously, it is only on print that MM files realize their full potential.

Well, you should start having some Baryta prints made and you will see how crappy these shots look on a computer...;):p
Seriously, it is only on print that MM files realize their full potential.

I hope I don't start a film vs digital war, but I see a lot of medium format qualities in the MM.

I still have mucho MF, but I'm not sure how all this will sort out. I will continue to shoot B&W 120, but it might be hard to justify all the MF cameras I own.

Cal

Hi Cal,

since I have never shot MF myself (was tempted to get a Hassy set up last year...) but I have heard that comment about the MM a lot of times, I am really curious about your verdict as en experienced MF film guy.

I looked at those then went back and looked at CR's images and I have to say Ming Thein's images don't do a lot for me ... maybe it's the post processing but they seem harsh and overly contrasty. More the look I'd expect to see in street photography.

He seems to be aware of this too as he points out:

I also want to address one of the major criticisms I saw on my earlier review regarding lack of mid-gray tonal variation: given limited time to shoot and lots of rain, I only managed to get the camera out around midday – which in the tropics, means extremely harsh light.

To your point, some of the images almost look like B&W "TV snow" / noise, especially in the images with lots of small leaves.

Hi Cal,

since I have never shot MF myself (was tempted to get a Hassy set up last year...) but I have heard that comment about the MM a lot of times, I am really curious about your verdict as en experienced MF film guy.

Klaus,

Over the summer I was shooting 50-60 rolls a month and about half was 120. At this present time I have 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 covered and the guys at the NYC Meet-Up were making fun of me for not having a Linhoff Panoramic camera yet.

As you know. NYC is a shooter's paradise.

Cal

Klaus,

Over the summer I was shooting 50-60 rolls a month and about half was 120. At this present time I have 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 covered and the guys at the NYC Meet-Up were making fun of me for not having a Linhoff Panoramic camera yet.

As you know. NYC is a shooter's paradise.

Cal

Hi Cal,

maybe I missed it so far but I can't remember any of your shots posted here on RFF. Do you have a member gallery to show you stuff or have you never scanned anything? It will all be so much easier once you just have to pop that SD card out of the Monochrom :D.

As a general remark to this thread:
I guess the Monochrom can be the "everything camera"
[apart from the obvious special application : tele / marco etc.]

As a general remark to this thread:
I guess the Monochrom can be the "everything camera"
[apart from the obvious special application : tele / marco etc.]

Ummm.... 400 mm on the Monochrom....

l1000688.jpg

I haven't come around to doing any macro on it. Yet....

Back