Angela

j.scooter

Well-known
Local time
9:45 AM
With my wife and kids growing ever more weary of me pointing my camera in their direction and the only willing model I know is my dog, I decided that I would ask Angela a barista at my favorite coffee place if she would be willing to model for me. Just for fun.

After waiting for about six weeks for her schedule to clear (she works two jobs) we were able to go out. I went for the gusto, there were three wardrobe changes and four location changes, and from beginning to end the shoot took 5 hours.

Going with the going for the gusto theme, I used every camera I owned (other than the one in my phone). I shot digital, panoramic and both black and white film.

I will make separate posts for each format.

Thanks

Fuji Xpro1 with 35 1.4

dsf0605.jpg

dsf0613.jpg

dsf0641.jpg

dsf0676.jpg

dsf0689edit.jpg

I have never done something like this and think it takes some time to "break the ice" between model and photographer. This said I like #4 and #6 best from your series, because she (Angela ?) looks relaxed in these frames. Looking forward to more !:)

A very timely thread for me...I have been pondering lately upon asking some young lady to become a muse for my photography needs...someone willing to be photographed so I can expand my vision and push myself to shoot in ways I haven't as yet...and I'm not talking about nudes...
There is a lady at church. going through Chemo right now that I would love to photograph...she is a beautiful person inside and out...loves to talk, sweet and full of life...
You made a great choice for your model...she looks very comfortable being on that side of the lens...

Thanks for commenting Gabor and Sam. I am normally quiet, reserved and very much an introvert, this was quite the step outside my comfort zone. It was fun.:D

These were shot with the Contax G2 with 21,28 and 90 lenses, on Arista Premium 100.

Developed HC110 Dilution H

aristapremium100575.jpg

aristapremium100581.jpg

aristapremium100586edit.jpg

aristapremium100589edit.jpg

Still with the G2. This roll was AP100 in Blazinol (Canadian Rodinal) 1:100 1hr stand. Not sure what I did wrong but the negatives were almost black! I don't think they will enlarge very well :D But I do like the low contrast "dreamy feel" to the scans.

aristapremium100636.jpg

aristapremium100637.jpg

aristapremium100650.jpg

aristapremium100651.jpg

That's it for now. Next up shots from the TX1

These photos really show how hard it is to really find a person's best "image." A lot of posters on the RFF really give photographers like Annie Leibovitz a hard time, but when one does a shoot like this, it really shows the depth of skills required.

Your model has a habit, of scrunching up her face, hard for her to really relax with all the pressure of wardrobe changes and and situations which are not normal for her. My guess is you saw something about her, that is only hinted at in a few of the photos? She has a "natural" smile or laugh which is missing from these photos?

So a great learning experience, but my advice is slow down a little next time, lower the bar for yourself and the model.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
I admit no Annie Leibowitz here, not even close:D

I also admit that 4 locations and 5 hours was a bit much, but you have to understand, this is the first time in a very long time that I had someone willing to model for me. Plus there were no guarantees of a second shoot after this one. So I made hay while the sun shined (or shone).

I went to all the locations that I drove by on my travels and thought, "Man I would love to do a shoot here!".

So next time (if there is a next time), I will be more focused and deliberate.

From the TX1 with both the 45/4 and 90/4 Portra 160

kodakportra160621.jpg

kodakportra160618.jpg

kodakportra160610.jpg

kodakportra160605.jpg

kodakportra160562edit.jpg

kodakportra160554edited.jpg

kodakportra160552.jpg

kodakportra160546.jpg

That's all folks!
Thanks for looking.
James

James...#23 gets a WOW from me...when I saw the super wide format I was thinking "No way"...but I was wrong...#27 is very nice also...I like what you were going for there...

Do you have a 6x6 medium format camera...???
Something like that with a tight crop of your subject...I do like some of the first photos posted but I find there's way too much sky (portrait format)...square them up and crop a lot tighter...#8 & #13 are what I'm referring to...

Thanks for your comments Rob F and Sam.

Imagine how long we would have been out there if I had another camera.:eek::D

Sam be sure to post a thread if you do end up doing a shoot with the lady at your church, so like a really good project.

I spoke to her yesterday and it looks like there might just be an Angela 2 thread in the next few (or six weeks).

Stay tuned:D

Last edited:
Hi James - I like #9, #10 and #17 the most.

Inexperienced models need more encouragement, patience and direction but when they get comfortable working with you the results improve.

Model shoots I've done generally last 60-90 mins, 2hrs is long. Usually just the one location. We agree on a theme beforehand so she knows what to wear and how to do her makeup and hair. If she has a bf or gf and is nervous I'm happy for one friend to come along and I give them something to do like hold an off-camera strobe or get them to help her relax and have fun. Other people might work differently - this is just how I do it. I try to make it as fun for her as I can. Relaxed subjects are more natural.

One technique I've used is once you've got a pose pretty well set up, ask the model to SLOWLY turn her face while you keep looking through the vf and shooting - if you're not very confident at assessing which is the best angle, I've found this is a good way to get used to that and nail it. Digital makes this learning curve easier and cheaper, though I generally prefer the look of film.

No chemistry here, dude. Nothing between you two, no spark, no kick. When this happens, there aren't any good photos...

In my opionion, portrait photography is not about the camera in between two people. Portraits only happen when the camera is gone, reduced to a single click... I can't see that here. She's stressed, not relaxed enough, and you are afraid to come closer, to reveal your appreciation of her femininity and beauty.

Do not try harder, but get closer to her as a human being, not as a photographer. And it'll start to work :)

My 5p. :)

Always difficult taking pictures that are posed in some way.
I think one or two have come out particularly well and you can't really expect more than a maximum of half a dozen from the sessions. Agree that you have probably packed in too much first time around. Model is probably not sure what to do in the circumstances. Maybe if you gave her something to take her attention from you taking her photo - give her a book to read, a glass to drink from, a camera with which to take your photo. Could you arrange a session in the bar where she works - somewhere that is familiar to her?
But keep at it - try to get another session with her.

jesse

You're a braver man than I am, no way I would ask a pretty girl if i could take her photo. Add to that the location and dress changes and you have a hell of a task on your hands.
Some of the photos show real promise and if you get another chance you should shoot Angela again. I think the second time around you will both be more relaxed and the photos will have 'that certain something'.
Looking forward to Angela 2 :D

j.scooter, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It was very interesting to see the results. Both you and your model will only get better with each subsequent session, so it will be fun to see the results from "Angela 2". :). Maybe next time, you can do a shorter session (knowing that it's not a one-shot deal), and just concentrate on one theme using a smaller set of equipment. Maybe make it more collaborative, see if Angela has any personal suggestions. --Warren

You are getting some experience with taking photos of a model, and it takes time to break the ice with any model.

I do well with taking photos of my children because they are at ease with me. I always (and I mean always) first ask them about school or their freidns or Sponge Bob (cartoon) as I focus through the lens, and they almost alway relax and start being themselves, as if I was not there with a camera in their faces.

The advice given above to know the model better (but not too well!) may work. Meet with her for a cup of coffee or tea first. A session for 2 hours may be best. Maybe taking a few digital photos and showing them to her at the start of the session may help her know what to do.

Thanks.

4 8 11 14 19 for me. i like the relaxed moments. the other stuff seems... posed... which it is, of course. look forward to the next step in the project

Back