Is it too late to get into the GF1/20 combo?

ElectroWNED

Well-known
Local time
8:22 PM
I'm always looking to save money, so I wait until the insanity dies down surrounding new gear. The OM-D sounds great, but I hate the design, and my budget is closer to $500 than $1200; the X100 would be worth the stretch, if not for the poor AF. I don't mind shooting without a VF-- the GRD3 has trained me. Currently I have an S95 and a Sigma DP2, but I want to have one camera for everything.

Is it too late to hop on the bandwagon? Any better alternatives?

($500 reasonable for the set?)

I'm always looking to save money, so I wait until the insanity dies down surrounding new gear. The OM-D sounds great, but I hate the design, and my budget is closer to $500 than $1200; the X100 would be worth the stretch, if not for the poor AF.

So have u actually tried an x100? AF speed is much better w/ latest fw update.... Make sure u turn on the paralex adjustment, default is off.

That being said, I still own a gf1 w/ the 20. It auto focus speed is only a hair faster than the x100. In bright sunlight, the LCD can be washed out. Once u put a evf in it, it gets a bit clunky. U start to c noise after iso 800. X100 is clean up to 1600, and starts to c noise at 3200.

The new Olympus is much better both for af speed and high iso then the. Gf1.

Bottom line is x100 - fixed lens, better iso and picture iq. Gf1 lots of great m43 lenses, slightly better af speed.

Gary

PS. Here is a KEH reference on the gf1 with kit zoom @ 399
http://www.keh.com/camera/Panasonic-Digital-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-PD019991131990?r=FE

Last edited:
You can buy an Olympus E-P2 for $279, new, from Cameta Camera on eBay. Combine it (and its in-camera image stabilization system) with the 20mm lens and you've got a pretty robust kit. Great image quality too! :)

So have u actually tried an x100? AF speed is much better w/ latest fw update.... Make sure u turn on the paralex adjustment, default is off.

That being said, I still own a gf1 w/ the 20. It auto focus speed is only a hair faster than the x100. In bright sunlight, the LCD can be washed out. Once u put a evf in it, it gets a bit clunky. U start to c noise after iso 800. X100 is clean up to 1600, and starts to c noise at 3200.

The new Olympus is much better both for af speed and high iso then the. Gf1.

Bottom line is x100 - fixed lens, better iso and picture iq. Gf1 lots of great m43 lenses, slightly better af speed.

Gary

PS. Here is a KEH reference on the gf1 with kit zoom @ 399
http://www.keh.com/camera/Panasonic-Digital-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-PD019991131990?r=FE

No, I haven't seen the X100, I'm just basing my opinion on what I've read.

If I do get the GF1, I won't buy an EVF. Also, I figure that I can get away with handholding the GF1 wide-open at night with fairly low ISO. I'm only interested in fast prime lenses.

The optical viewfinder on the X100 is very tempting though... any reason the price would drop on that thing in coming months?

What about a used Panasonic G3? It seems to be ignored in all the OM-D frenzy on here but I have one and it's a great package with the 20mm - and it has the next generation of sensor compared to the GF1. I don't like the bolt on EVFs particularly so the built in EVF is useful, although I compose with the screen more often than not. AF is quite a bit quicker than the X100 (I have one of those as well!), and IQ with the 20mm is excellent.

Not a big fan of the DSLR-like design...

The pictures I see on Flickr from the X100 look brilliant, so how can the finder be that bad? Ugh...

OP, I recently did what you are considering to do and personally, I completely dig this kit. I'm jazzed with the results I'm getting and I am having great fun with it. It's far better than I expected.

I bought my GF1 from Craigslist (very clean and mostly unused) and the 20mm from B+H. I think the 20mm is out of stock there again.

If it isn't too much of a budget stretch (and if you really like the GF1 design), I'd get the current GX1. The differences are few, but the largest is the newer and larger 16MP and better ISO latitude. Some reviewers have dismissed the touch-screen control but you can disable it, too. FWIW, I'm considering getting one of these myself (w/ kit lens) to double my fun.

Good luck!

x100 user here. very satisfied. you can get a 2nd hand one for about $800. AF is good enough, i struggled a bit at first because i was only shooting with rangefinders, but after a while i got used to it. excellent image quality, very useable iso 3200. a great image maker.

I used the GF-1 with 20mm until just recently trying the G3. I have two GF-1 bodies, one for sale (I think its still listed on RFF, like new with a Pany half-case). I think the form factor of the GF-1 is better than both the G3 and the GX-1, the latter being too small for me. I use the GF-1 mainly at 200 iso and not beyond 400. With the 20mm lens, wide open or near wide open, there's not much I can't do with it. GF-1 still highly recommended, and I'm NOT trying to sell you mine!

FYI, I am putting a GF1, 20mm, leather case and 40mm viewfinder on here later today. Just need to pop up to my friend's to photograph the thing.

I'm thinking £295 for the package.

I will miss that 20mm lens, though... it's a blinder.

Yeah, US$350ish used for the lens on the 'bay.
About the same as new. It looks like they sell out fast.

Never too late. the GF1 was a great camera when it was released, why should it be any less good today? Just got a G1 recently, which is pretty much the same, and enjoy it a lot. 1600 ISO is okay when shooting RAW and using a developer with a good noise reduction routine -- say Lightroom. I think the RAW files are nicer and more flexible than those from the contemporary Olympus models.

found a guy at GetDPI that says he's going to sell his kit for $410 + shipping... kind of shocked at the low price.

If he falls through and your set is still around, Paul, I'll probably be interested.

The GF1 is a great camera and the 20mm lens is stellar. One of my first shots with the camera.

4428068515_76b2b1359f_z.jpg

GF1 ~ ISO 400 - f/1.7 - 1/30 - 20mm

I do not think you could go wrong with the combo.

Good luck with your decision.

Back