OMD Silver or Black??

PaulW128

Well-known
Local time
1:38 AM
I've come to the realization that getting an OMD is inevitable but the BIG question is: Black or Silver?

So for all of you who took the plunge, what color did you get? The black body looks really sexy but the silver body looks cool too.

I picked up a like-new E-P1 a couple of weeks ago. A friend gave me an "extra" 14-42 lens he wasn't using. I just ordered a Panny 14 2.5 from a seller on Ebay who sells "de-kitted" lenses. I also ordered a 45 1.8 from Amazon. The only thing left to buy is the OMD body but I will have to liquidate my Nikon gear first.

So let me know what you all think; what color body??

Thank you all
Paul

I do like the look of silver one a lot especially with more classic looking covering, but I went with a black one. I personally like the "silver" camera to be actually chromed, not painted silver so that took a part in the decision making. That said, both colors look good and I'm sure you won't regret the purchase either way. :)

I have not bought mine yet but I will get black. The silver is neat but as previously said its not the real silver of the days of yore, which looks a lot better.

I'm leaning more towards the black body. I heard the silver ones are even more difficult to find but i'm not sure that's true.

Thanks for your responses guys.
Paul

Agreed. Normally I prefer silver cameras, but not this particular silver. Maybe it looks better in person. But I really don't like the panda dials on top. The black looks much better than the photos that first came out, which made it look shiny. it's matte matte matte, but very smooth.

I've been putting my E-M5 next to my E-1 hoping they will mate and I can benefit from the offspring and the finish would take after the E-1. So far, they don't seem to notice one another.

We've had both in the store, and you won't go wrong either way. My vote would be silver though. It's really nice looking- much better than the photos online would lead you to believe.
-Brian

Brian;

You might be right, I haven't actually handled a silver OMD yet, but there's something about some of the photos i've seen that make the silver bodies look like plastic bodies trying really hard to look like metal, but again, that's only my impression based on photos of the camera.

Thanks
Paul

I finished up with black because that was all they had in stock.

Generally I'm a fan of silver cameras but I have to say the Oly is a fine looker in black. Somehow I seem to have finished up with an OM collection that is all black ... OM-1, OM-2, OM-3 and OM-4.

:43:

I just wish Oly would produce black copies of 45 1.8 and others to come i.e 75 1.8, etc. I don't really like the silver lens on black body but vice versa will be fine, only thing is I love a black OMD.

Silver - even though my old OM-4 was black. There's something about the faux carbon fibre body texture I don't like on the black version (preferring the faux leather body texture of the silver version). I also don't like the idea of those beautiful (silver only) Olympus lenses on the all black body ...

Thanks for all your responses, still not sure which way to go, maybe it will come down to what's in stock when I finally pull the trigger

Best
Paul

Silver - even though my old OM-4 was black. There's something about the faux carbon fibre body texture I don't like on the black version (preferring the faux leather body texture of the silver version). I also don't like the idea of those beautiful (silver only) Olympus lenses on the all black body ...

I second Damen's comments. Thought I would get a black body but fell for the silver body when I saw it in person. In person, it does not look like the silver is painted on. Even the body covering looks like a camera from the '70s. As much as I liked the carbon fibre look of the black body, I now prefer the silver body look.

-Randy

I bought the silver right away, when I saw it by accident at my local photography dealer. Later I saw the black version and found it also very nice. But I would stick with the silver version.

Jeez, now i'm leaning towards the silver. Hope to see one in person sometime soon. I'm thinking that silver body & the silver 45 1.8 will look sweet!!

Thanks all
Paul

Black. The silver is fugly. Not 'in general' — but on this camera, f'sho. Weird, how some cameras can manage in chrome and some cant. I have a Nikon FE2 in black. Would never want to carry the chrome version, but an older Nikon F is gorgeous. I like Leica MPs in chrome, but dislike the M6 (something about the red dot?). I recently saw the X100 and Xpro1, and preferred the silver X100's aesthetics versus the black Pro....

Back