My Leica m8 isn't working! Not sure what happened...

Rangeman133

Established
Local time
8:25 AM
I had it on continuous shooting. It locked up after awhile, so I turned it off. And then I turned it back on.

When I turned it back on, the red light lit up. But nothing else happened. Not Battery indicator on the top was seen, or number of shots left (that screen didn't come up)

also, the LCD did not come up, and when i click the shutter, nothing happens, except for the red light which lights up.

the batteries were completely charged, and i just put in a new one, and still not working. i also changed memory cards, but no use.

does it look serious?

Are you using a Leica brand battery? I had this issue when I used certain third party batteries.

Are you using a Leica brand battery? I had this issue when I used certain third party batteries.

To be quite honest, I never even thought about this. I bought the camera used, and it came with the battery. I assume that its the leica brand.

On the battery, it reads: Li-ion Battery for Leica M8. Leica Camera. 14464.

seems like the leica battery, because i don't see any other brand names anywhere else.

What is the firmware version on your M8?

I've had this happen to me once or twice during the first few weeks whenever I was in continuous mode. Take out the battery, let the electricity drain and then start over. It should power up again. After upgrading to Firmware 2.005, the problems disappeared.

What is the firmware version on your M8?

I've had this happen to me once or twice during the first few weeks whenever I was in continuous mode. Take out the battery, let the electricity drain and then start over. It should power up again. After upgrading to Firmware 2.005, the problems disappeared.

I pretty sure I have the most recent firmware upgrade. But I did something else, and I got a strange result.

Prior to the camera not working, the battery was fully charged. I then had the problem. I reformatted the sd card on my laptop, and this time the camera was able to start up just fine. Except for one thing, the battery was completely drained! so the battery is charging right now, i'm not sure what happened!

definitely feel much better though. but i'll definitely check the firmware once the battery is fully charged again. maybe i don't have the most recent upgrade.

thanks!

But I did something else, and I got a strange result.

Prior to the camera not working, the battery was fully charged. I then had the problem. I reformatted the sd card on my laptop, and this time the camera was able to start up just fine. Except for one thing, the battery was completely drained! so the battery is charging right now, i'm not sure what happened!

That might be a possible, if not the primary issue, as it's usually not a good idea to format your SD card in your laptop because your computer's file system may not be compatible with that on the M8. This conflict may confuse the camera causing it to "crash".

Just wait a few hours for the electricity to drain, reformat your SD card within your camera, and go from there.

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my M8, and I never really ever had any "problems" with mine.

BUT.... When in C shooting... make sure you do NOT have "DISCREET" enabled! Mine locked up and battery went to ZERO. It recovered fine after a recharge, format, exorcism, etc...

Also, always format the card in the M8...

It's a known fault with continuous shooting - basically, you can crash your M8's processor, just like a computer! One of the M8's, err, quirks...!

As has been said, take out the battery, make sure it's charged, then reinsert it - just like when your PC (or Mac!) locks up and you have to yank the plug and reboot!

Also as said, do make sure you have the latest firmware. Upgrading is straightforward and easy - but follow the instructions exactly.

thanks for the tips/advice! i think i was in shock when the camera wouldn't work. everything is running smoothy now, and i'll be more sensitive with continuous shooting next time. also just reformatted the a card in the camera.

also, the firmware shows as 2.014, isn't this the latest update? thanks again, i'm out of panic mode now.

EDIT: Just a quick question. when the camera if fully charged, does the battery indicator just show the battery outline, without any bars inside it? and then when it starts losing the charge, the battery indicators show up, and then disappear 1 at a time?

because right now, i'm just seeing the battery outline, without any bars inside it. or does this mean that there is very little charge left?

Very common m8 problem. Avoid continous mode unless you use a x600 write speed SD card. I had the same problem with a x133 write speed card. The faster write speed card cured it.

As a general rule, Leica are not known for their electronics...but I still love the M8. If you want to fall in love again with your M8 in spite of all of its flaws, go buy an x100. I did. And I did.

Old battery. It has lost the capacity to deal with the drainage of continuous shooting. Quite normal with Li-ion of more than four years old. Buy a new, original Leica battery and keep this one as an emergency spare

Back