A free afternoon in Johannesburg: ideas?

Austerby

Well-known
Local time
7:08 PM
I'm off to Jo'burg for a work trip in a couple of weeks. The way the flights work from the UK I'll arrive on Sunday morning, giving me much of the day free to spend taking photographs.

I have briefly been to Jo'burg before but had no free time. I'll be staying in Sandton.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of a visit to Soweto - anyone else know it?

I'll probably have my M3 + 50/3.5 CV Heliar with me.

The best advice I can give is to be very discreet when using a camera - preferably one that goes into a pocket, Ricoh GR1v or similar. I have stayed in Sandton on a couple of occasions and was advised by locals to be discreet, not just for the safety of your kit, but also for yourself. If you can go as a group, so much the better. Pictorially, there are some worthwhile human interest pix, of course, but if landscapes are your thing, you would need to hire a car and drive out. Personally, I found the Gautang area a difficult part of SA to photograph and prefer the Cape for its' scenery. If people watching is your thing, then perhaps Soweto will reward, as the people can be very friendly and the kids are always interested in cameras!

Good luck and have a great trip!

Ray

Ok, I'm off tomorrow, taking in a guided walking tour of Soweto on Sunday. Can't decide between the a film camera or the M8. Need to be unobtrusive I understand, so the camera will only be used to take quick shots. The M2 with 35mm and scale focussing sounds a good bet, but then I could use the M8 for that too...

No doubt you will find the Hector Pieterson Museum very interesting assuming it is part of the tour. Soweto should be an eye opener in itself. Enjoy your Sunday outing and SA.

Bob

Soweto was great - really interesting, perfectly safe. We hired a guide for a walking tour, which meant local minibus taxis rather than air-conditioned tourist buses. Everyone very friendly and welcoming. Visited the Mandela House museum and the Hector Pieterson museum.

Walked around the township a bit, including some of the shanty areas.

Recommended to anyone with an afternoon to spare in Johannesburg.

Soweto by Vidwatts, on Flickr

Back