Strap without metal rings

Murchu

Well-known
Local time
11:18 PM
Hi,

In a recent thread I surmised how the strap lugs on my M3 were getting worn through, from the metal O-rings from my Domke Gripper strap, where it connects to the strap lugs.

I just became aware it is possible to buy an all leather strap, without any metal to wear out the soft metal on my M3 lugs, and this might be a much more sustainable solution than replacing the lugs, especially as it would halt the current wear on the lugs I am seeing right now.

One such strap I found was Luigi's 'Essential' Strap (http://www.leicatime.com/a3essentialStraps.jpg), and just wondering are there others out there, or if anyone here uses such a strap..

the new lance straps have a loop end made from some nylon material (guessing here) that might be what you're looking for...and way cheaper than the leather one.

Hi Joe,

Cheers for the link, will have a look at those. Pity they have quick release connectors, on first glance though.

Re: the Luigi leather straps, they don't seem too bad pricewise, coming out at about 60 euro here in Europe (44 euro strap + 16 shipping). Far more than I would usually spend on a strap, but if I don't need to buy another strap for the M3, then perhaps its worth it.

On a related note, seem to have hit the post button accidentally and wonder if the thread title could be corrected from 'Strap without metal rights' to 'Strap without metal rings'

i put the new lance on my nikon d200 and it's a pleasure to use...seems very strong.
and i love the red!

That is a good sign, the D200 is a heavy enough beast.

Re: quick release connectors, seems to be something I have double standards about, seeing as I have an Optech strap with such connectors on my D300. I do worry about them failing at some point it seems, something which happened very recently on another thread here with a user and their M3.

Cheers for correcting the thread title by the way..

I made my own strap from 16mm webbing and a couple of bits of paracord.

Interesting.. not above making something myself, providing it is within my capabilities. While back, I fashioned two wrist straps from the original Leica neck strap, as per Dante Stellas tutorial, and was very happy with the results.

Any pictures of your strap..

It's pretty easy to buy some good waxed linen thread and make your own. They do eventually wear out, so I have 4 or 5 made up and stored in a little ziploc baggie in my camera bags.

Gordy Coale makes straps with thread attachments at both ends.

I think what you're talking about may not exist without a bit of fiddling or making one by hand (except Gordy straps). The lance straps are great but they have the little metal o-ring/quick release ring/split ring. SLR straps have the fabric loop-around typically, but the fabrics woul be way too wide to fit the the little hole in the M strap lugs. You could try a plastic/vinyl covered cable key ring like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-71...qid=1344191173&sr=8-1&keywords=Cable+key+ring

But again I don't think it would fit through your lugs out of the box....fashoioning something out of vinyl covered cable would be the strongest option (I wouldnt try plastic split rings or feeding fabric/leather directly through the strap lug- your worn lugs are probably sharp at this point). I'd suggest just getting new lugs and starting over. It'll probably take 10 years of constant use to notice any wear on the new ones

Gordy Coale makes straps with thread attachments at both ends.
They are well made. I have a couple myself..

Yes, knew of the wrist straps, and just seen he does neck straps too. By the way, should clarify it is a neck strap I am after. Not sure how I feel about the loop system, does anyone have any experience about how durable they are..

plus 20% if you´re in EU I think..

Hmm, good to be aware of. Am in the EU, so will check if that 44 euro includes VAT already, or whether it needs to be added..

It's pretty easy to buy some good waxed linen thread and make your own. They do eventually wear out, so I have 4 or 5 made up and stored in a little ziploc baggie in my camera bags.

Interesting thought. Is it possible to get good waxed lined thread of a thick enough nature?

Not sure how I feel about a round neck strap to be honest - would it dig into the neck more than a flat one? For a wrist strap I imagine it could be the ticket, but am after a neck strap, which I probably neglected to mention in my original post.

I think what you're talking about may not exist without a bit of fiddling or making one by hand (except Gordy straps). The lance straps are great but they have the little metal o-ring/quick release ring/split ring. SLR straps have the fabric loop-around typically, but the fabrics woul be way too wide to fit the the little hole in the M strap lugs. You could try a plastic/vinyl covered cable key ring like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Line-71...qid=1344191173&sr=8-1&keywords=Cable+key+ring

But again I don't think it would fit through your lugs out of the box....fashoioning something out of vinyl covered cable would be the strongest option (I wouldnt try plastic split rings or feeding fabric/leather directly through the strap lug- your worn lugs are probably sharp at this point). I'd suggest just getting new lugs and starting over. It'll probably take 10 years of constant use to notice any wear on the new ones

Well, the leather Luigi Essential strap does exist, but do not see too many other neck straps without metal rings to attach to the lugs on the camera. The vinyl covered cable tie is an interesting idea alright though..

Hoping to avoid the new lug option. M3 is humming along perfectly well, and shouldn't need a service for quite some time, so a trip into a tech just for lugs could be expensive, well, more expensive than the Luigi strap solution for example. Plus it seems not too many people do lug-changing, from what I see. No, definitely don't want to be without my M for a month or more, so will have to be a strap solution..

i love the round straps...the most comfortable strap i've used.
the lance straps has a new version without the metal rings, just those loop things.

Gordy's straps (advertised on the Forum) have a great set of straps w/o rings & a new one that goes around your body & the camera rides on a carabiner. I got mine with a nylon thread attachment. Love Gordy's straps!

i love the round straps...the most comfortable strap i've used.
the lance straps has a new version without the metal rings, just those loop things.

Good endorsement. A strap with loops, or a pure leather strap like the Luigi one, seem to be two clear options alright.

My mind has now gravitated to DIY solutions now also, and even something like replacing the metal O-rings on my domke gripper, with something like leather from a leather lace may be an option also.

Gordy's straps (advertised on the Forum) have a great set of straps w/o rings & a new one that goes around your body & the camera rides on a carabiner. I got mine with a nylon thread attachment. Love Gordy's straps!

Good to hear. Considered the carabiner style before, but was happy with the basic Leica strap, and later the basic domke gripper I currently have, slung around my chest.

By the way, given my preferred style of slinging the M across my chest bandolier-style, it is definitely a long strap I am after. The original Leica strap, and the basic gripper strap seemed to do the job quite well, and think they are both around the 120cm/ 48 inch mark, lengthwise.

At least here in the US, yes. The stuff I found in a local sewing / craft store is the same thickness as Gordy uses -- not sure if it is 2 ply or 4 ply though. Mine last 6 months to a year with moderate use before a strand frays and I replace it (if I was shooting every day it might only last 3-4 months), but since it takes literally 5 minutes to make up a handful, it doesn't bother me much to replace them regularly.

I think kokoshawnuff has an important point though. If your lugs are really worn, the edges are likely very sharp and they will knife through the thread very quickly.

Interesting thought. Is it possible to get good waxed lined thread of a thick enough nature?

Back