Help me track down a Zorki 6 light leak!

Martytoof

Established
Local time
7:22 AM
Hi everyone,

Pulled the first roll out of the Zorki 6 and did a quick develop to check that the shutter was consistent. Seems like the shutter is okay, but I did notice a rather significant light leak.

t30Fo.jpg

Ignore the crappy subject matter since I literally just burned through this roll to check the shutter. Also I didn't do any curves adjustments yet since they're not really what I'm worried about.

I can't imagine I leaked any light during development so I have to assume this is the camera. Can you guys give me a clue as to whether this would be at the top or bottom of the take-up reel? I assume the film loads upside down so bloom at the bottom of the film would indicate a leak on top, near the wind handle area?

I did a quick visual inspection of the area and the seal LOOKS like it's in great condition, but obviously something is going on.

Thanks in advance :)

Leak is in the bottom of the photos, so that's from the top of the frame (the image is inverted inside the camera). And it is happening after winding onto the spool, as evidenced by the burn-through from the layer above. I'm not familiar with the 6, so I can't guide you as to where to look for the leak.

PF

Do you guys think one of the aftermarket foam light seal replacements would do the trick? I also think this is the location of the leak, but I'd like to avoid having to tape my camera every time I switch film.

I'll try to do a roll this week where I take half the roll without tape and I'll tape the camera for the final half. Hopefully that confirms what we all suspect.

Thanks all :)

I'll try to do a roll this week where I take half the roll without tape and I'll tape the camera for the final half. Hopefully that confirms what we all suspect.

Thanks all :)

I better test is to:

1. Load the film in TOTAL DARKNESS
  2. Advance forward to about frame 2-3 in TOTAL DARKNESS leaving the camera cocked
  3. Bring the camera into daylight and, without pressing on the back, expose all sides to bright light.
  4. Take one picture but DO NOT WIND the film.
  5. Take the camera into TOTAL DARKNESS
  6. Now rewind the film and process WITHOUT CUTTING the roll into strips.

This way the film never moves while there is light on the camera. There will be only one place on the film when it is fogged (plus any burn through if the fogging is at the takeup spool). You can then load the uncut back in the camera and align the one image with the film gate. The location of the leak will then be obvious from the position of the fogging.

Oh I don't mind shelling out $12 or whatever for a light seal kit. I'm ridiculously happy with the size, weight, and handling of the Zorki-6. It's the camera I've always wanted. $12 to get it back in working condition is a bargain :)

Thanks though!

Could be the hinge of the back door, but please also pay attention at the strapears, they are a very weak part of the Z6 construction (have seen some where they had come off).

Back