Best non-leather straps?

I use Domke on most of my cameras. Soft, breaths unlike leather and nylon. About $12 for the 1".

Have both the 1" Domke Gripper and the A+A adjustable cloth. The A+A is by far the most versatile and comfortable. So soft, you can also wrap it around your wrist if you tire of it around your neck. Can't do that with the Domke....feel bad saying it as I love their bags! A shame to prejudice the A+A over so little leather....be less than 5%.

Happy to sell off the black Domke strap non-QR (like new) to anyone convinced otherwise ;)

Being in love with A&A cloth strap I decided to order a little cheaper Black Label Bag one (non adjustable). When I received it I was really shocked with its cheap appeal. It's so stiff, thin and creased compared to A&A strap:(.

i'd love a round silk strap...but way too much $$ and too short...

Have you ever seen how silk is made? For the silk that goes into a 100g camera strap, you have to kill about 500 silkworms. If the original poster is a vegan, silk won't be acceptable to him either.

Tamrac has a completely non-leather and non-metal strap with quick releases and non-slip that works for me. Quite affordable too. I like hte black colered one, but htey have it avaialbe in all sorts of hippie colors if thats your pleasure.

I have a couple of these, and have carefully cut the non-slip pad off. What's left is a very nice and plain 1" nylon strap with quick-releases at each end. It's secure enough on my shoulder, but thin enough that I can wrap the strap around my wrist for walking around.

I like having quick releases for wearing under my coat, or when I'm working on a tripod or copy stand, to get the strap completely out of the way.

Other than that, I'm making my own. It's super easy.

Have you ever seen how silk is made? For the silk that goes into a 100g camera strap, you have to kill about 500 silkworms. If the original poster is a vegan, silk won't be acceptable to him either.

First of all, after two inquiries, the OP has not answered it....would like to know the problem with leather, that is all we ask.

Then, there is the synthetic issue...:)

First of all, after two inquiries, the OP has not answered it....would like to know the problem with leather, that is all we ask.

Then, there is the synthetic issue...:)

Yeah, I saw those inquiries. My hypothesis is that the OP is avoiding the question. For the time being one can only hypothesize. I guess that's what Sevo did, too (I mean, autoclaving your camera straps?).

You're right about the synthetic issue, but then again there are other people to whom that is inacceptable, being made from dead dinosaurs and all.

(I mean, autoclaving your camera straps?).

As a matter of fact, that is pretty common when photographing in operating theatres, intensive wards and the like. Cameras and other technical equipment are mostly permitted to be spray disinfected (or might have to be bagged in a new diving bag, for high risk areas), while camera straps are essentially body-worn bits of fabric, where the full set of rules for clothing applies.

As a matter of fact, that is pretty common when photographing in operating theatres, intensive wards and the like. Cameras and other technical equipment are mostly permitted to be spray disinfected (or might have to be bagged in a new diving bag, for high risk areas), while camera straps are essentially body-worn bits of fabric, where the full set of rules for clothing applies.

Ah, OK, makes sense. Learn something new every day!

HI Sorry to resurrect what could be a dead post but today I received my new strap from Lance Camera Straps. (no relation or affiliation or even same continent!).

I went for the 48" non-adjustable neck strap (here) and am seriously impressed with the quality of this item, exactly what I've been looking for to hold my x100. No leather at all, which is important to me as I am vegan.

I'm off on a trip for a few days so will happily do a mini write up for any interested parties (along with an image or two) on my return.

Cheers

Jeremy

That is a nice looking strap, Jeremy. I really like the simplicity of it.

I wonder how well the polyester will wear. Does it feel hot or uncomfortable against the skin? Would it be suitable for a heavy camera (like a big SLR) or better for a lighter weight camera?

I tend to prefer natural plant fibers or leather for the sake of comfort. I'm an omnivore, but synthetic materials are OK too if they are comfortable, well-made, and long-lasting.

Back