How feasible is an RF micro adjust knob?

EdwardKaraa

Well-known
Local time
9:07 AM
Hey guys, I was thinking the other day about the AF micro adjust feature in DSLR, and it made me wonder why Leica couldn't make the RF adjustment user friendly with an external knob, just like a diopter knob. Matched with live view in a future model, it would become very easy to adjust the RF to perfection, even with different lenses. You just have to remember the 50 takes a +1 and the 35 a -3 and so on. What do you guys think? Shall we petition Leica for it?

You can petition all you want, but the design of the M10 is set in concrete and it has no such knob. The ranger finder has four adjustment points which are all separate but the effects of three of them are interlocked. How are you going to implement that in a single control?

Well that's up to the engineers not me. I only can suggest. If it's feasible or not is not for me to decide, hence the question.

Well, the answer is that setting up such a mechanism, if at all possible, would probably add about 5 mm to the height of the camera and 750$ to the price. I cannot imagine that would raise enough enthusiasm to merit a petition.

It would have to be at least three knobs, which must be twiddled expertly in conjunction - not doable as a user interface.

Leica should put the full set of knobs in, and then charge $1000 per incident to put them back where they belong, because you can be sure they'd be doing a whole lot of that.

Back