Hexar AF - focusing noise

As for the silent mode being not default... I would add this.
When I expect to have others click a few shots, I don't bring an RF, I bring the AF. When it is in silent mode, they don't have the tactile awareness to know that a picture has been taken. So, I always leave it in 'normal' mode in these cases.

The noise is a non-relevant issue, people want a Hexar for its excellent Lens and AF system. Were the camera twice as noisy, it would still be quieter than any SLR.

I should maybe start another thread, but I do not want to spam the forum category with my treads.

So - film is inside the camera, seems loaded fine. The camera focuses and meters (in A mode I get the selected shutter speed on the LCD) - but when I push the shutter fully - the camera does not take a shot! Simply nothing happens. I am in M mode as I am trying to shoot in darkness over few previously exposed frames on the film. Just the underexposure sign (the 'minus') blinks together with green light for focus confirmation.

Is there a chance I am doing something wrong - or is the camera suffering the 'shutter trigger' problem? :(

I should maybe start another thread, but I do not want to spam the forum category with my treads.

So - film is inside the camera, seems loaded fine. The camera focuses and meters (in A mode I get the selected shutter speed on the LCD) - but when I push the shutter fully - the camera does not take a shot! Simply nothing happens. I am in M mode as I am trying to shoot in darkness over few previously exposed frames on the film. Just the underexposure sign (the 'minus') blinks together with green light for focus confirmation.

Is there a chance I am doing something wrong - or is the camera suffering the 'shutter trigger' problem? :(

Did it work before? Does this happen all the time, or just sometimes? Can you take a picture if you switch to MF mode? If it acquires focus when half-pressed but nothing happens when fully pressed, then yeah, it sounds like common erratic shutter button problem. There's a fairly simple (but not necessarily permanent) DIY fix for this, involving doing some simple cleaning; or you could have the worn-out switch replaced (but you'd probably have to send it to Japan to have it serviced).

Almost certainly you have the infamous shutter release problem. Easily fixed following this procedure.

are you sure?

are you sure?

check the lcd indicator. If you have a good one, unlike some of the ones probably out there that may be worn, you won't hear or feel a thing, so chances are you may be taking great photos.

Thanks. I have checked on the LCD - after several attempts it still shows that the camera is on the 1st shot - so no shots taken (and I was trying it in complete silence - I would have heard that)

So it seems that the camera has the infamous problem. For me it means that I will send it back (have a return warranty). I have read the procedure how to repair it (I am already subscribed to that thread :)), but I see no point in taking the risk - I payed bit over 300 € for the thing, I expect it to work.

I will play with the camera a bit more (get the film out) and re-thing whether I want to get another one or not.

Thank you again.

So it seems that the camera has the infamous problem. For me it means that I will send it back (have a return warranty). I have read the procedure how to repair it (I am already subscribed to that thread :)), but I see no point in taking the risk - I payed bit over 300 € for the thing, I expect it to work.

Have you considered doing this repair yourself, after communicating partial refund with seller? After all, particular model suffers from this issue and sooner or later you could meet it. Imagine camera starting to act up three months after deal? Seller has a feeling deal is done, while you still feel warmth from your cash in hand.

My original idea when I was buying the camera from this particular seller was that if I do not like the camera (or results) I will simply send it back. If I try to repair it that possibility will be gone (and if I am not lucky the camera too) ...

and used them with and without filters. The better photos always came without the use of filters. Not all lenses behave equally when a flat piece of glass is placed in front of them with a minimal hood. I carried an ND filter with me, but rarely used it with the HAF. I'd usually just keep a roll of slow film (expired Reala usually) that I set at ISO 50, and a few rolls of Kodachrome 25 when it was still being processed.
Try taking your filter off for a roll and examine the photos. It will give a more natural look. It's like swimming naked :cool:

Well... to each, their own I guess. You are allowed to make your opinion public and I am glad you have found something that works for you.
I'm just saying-- I have shot 200-250 rolls through Hexar AF with and without filters and never seen a difference.

Back