Suggest me a M42 SLR camera!

The original poster said "trigger wind" was a necessity. Assuming that means "lever wind" (i.e. not knob wind), then I agree, the Spotmatic F is a good choice. I am also a fan of the ES and ES II, which some people have said are less reilable, but mine have been great.

Yes, you are right,
thank you for correcting me!

Spotmatic SPII! I also have an ST-801. It's nice but the Pentax just looks and feels better. The stop down metering doesn't really bother me either, got used to it very quickly actually, and I like the simple match needle metering vs. LEDs. Plus, they can be had for very very little in most cases.

The Pentax MX recommended earlier thread a great idea but not if you have big hands.. I don't have BIG hands yet it was too small.I used one for years with the winder attached, never with batteries. Needed extra volume for comfort!
I prefer sound and feel of Spotmatic. The "F" 'cause it's got a hot shoe. The Spotmatic is wonderful. Any battery that fits, will power the meter. I recently bought a mint black SP, no meter working for $10.

You could go for a Yachica Electro X and even have mirror lockup.

So many to choose from and so cheap I wouldn't even take the time to ask here. Get a box full of them and try them.

As far as adapting M39 lenses is concerned. There are adapters but as far as I know you won't be able to focus to infinity.

If those are rangefinder M39 lenses, you get no infinity focus and are stuck with extreme closeups of questionable usefulness.

If those are SLR M39 lenses for the early Zenits, the adapter is a simple step-up ring and you get infinity without any problems.

Reminds me to collect my 85/f1.5 M39 lens from the repairman :)

Another Question:

Which lens would you suggest as a "normal lens" ?

The Super Takumar 55 mm f/1.8
or the Super Takumar 50 mm f/1.4 ?

What is the difference between these two lenses (beside max. aperture and focal lenght) ?

I'm a fan of the Pentax MX. I've been very happy with mine.

I like it as well, though I find it a bit too small. The problem with the MX for the OP is that it is a K-mount camera rather than M42. As with all K-mount bodies, it will accept M42 lenses with an adapter but they loose their auto-diaphram action making them slower and more difficult to use than they would be on a native M42 body.

If you are getting the Spotmatic F, you should get the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4. Later versions of the same lens, with rubber focus grip, are labeled SMC Takumar. The S-M-C or SMC lenses were and are as good as any lenses made, I think, both optically and in tems of quality of construction. (Just make sure you get an example that hasn't yellowed -- reversible by exposure to UV light, but a problem with this specific lens.)

Another vote for Fujica....

Another vote for Fujica....

I have a Fujica ST 701 thread mount that has served me well. Metered over/under, contemporary battery.

Another Question:

Which lens would you suggest as a "normal lens" ?

The Super Takumar 55 mm f/1.8
or the Super Takumar 50 mm f/1.4 ?

What is the difference between these two lenses (beside max. aperture and focal lenght) ?

either should be an excellent lens. at their age, I would choose based on condition and price. I had the first K-mount 50/1.4. great lens. But the slightly slower 50s are also excellent.

No argument with the spotmatic as a great choice for an m-42 body. The Mamiya 1000DTL was pretty reliable also. There were a ton of different makes on the market in the early 70s and most were decent or better.

Mamiya also made a body with a black painted brass top. Mine is a Sears labeled TL 1000 MXB which had a ttl spot meter which worked great.

Chinon Memotron CE II.
  • Stepless aperture priority shutter, max 1/2000th, electronic.
  • TTL metering.
  • Takes ALL M42 lenses, including those Fujinons with the Fujica-specific aperture coupling and the Mamiya lenses. Provides wide open focusing with all automatic and automatically stops down when taking the shot.
  • Double exposure capable (yessir, that's right).
  • Fully manual but still a working meter.
  • Exposure compensation.
  • Viewfinder blind for self timer shots with automated exposure.
For a while I was considering selling mine. I must have been mad...:eek:

Usually can be had for under EUR 100. Heavy brass with black paint, the only SLR that has true Leica-like paint and a brass body underneath.:cool:

I was told it was the most advanced screw-mount camera system made .
I was given one with a motor drive and a bunch of lenses, and liked it very much, but sold it all to an internet bud just because I couldn't see the point in running another SLR system.
As is, I've still got a Pentax MX, Nikon FM, Yashica something or other, and a Canon FTb plus various lenses for all of them to sell.

If you just want fit and finish, then the early Pentax SLRs are basically unrivalled for M42... although the Zeiss Icarex TM is pretty solid.

The later Chinon and Fujica cameras though are very nice users. Bright viewfinders, better electronics. Although IIRC the Fujica ST series still used old fashioned 1.35v batteries... The Fujinon EBC lenses are also mostly excellent, even though people don't gab about them non-stop like they do about takumars, they do seem to be highly sought after.

I personally enjoy using an m42 camera with no redeeming qualities:
6650210243_60131c7c87.jpg

They couldn't even be bothered to equip it with a rewind crank. :)

Back